Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming

Options
  • 21-07-2019 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Do you think you could tone up by just swimming alone ..im not over weight but i really need to tone up ..im thinking of starting swimming twice a week as i really enjoy it ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Do you think you could tone up by just swimming alone ..im not over weight but i really need to tone up ..im thinking of starting swimming twice a week as i really enjoy it ...

If you find an excersise you like that's great - as you won't stick to one you hate.

Yeah - swimming twice a week could make you look better.

Toning up is less body fat with a bit more muscle mass.

Swimming, in conjunction with improving diet, should help you lose fat.

To an untrained beginner you can gain some muscle with swimming - but don't expect too much.

You should consider joining a club. If you've never trained at swimming before they're a great place to drag up your standard and making sure you are using your time in the best possible way. Most masters clubs cater for all levels.

If you trained before but are out of practice and want to go solo consder somethign like this http://ruthkazez.com/swimming/ZeroTo1mile.html

Just don't expect to look like a Hungarian water polo player without comparable intensity, time and commitement. If you look at comprtitive swimmers or water polo players, assuming they're lean, will look pretty good. But they'd be getting in kilometers and kilometers of pool time in most days of the week (possibly multiple times a day) and resistance training too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Most definitely.
    Swimming is an all body activity with a tad more emphasis upper than lower but it's great.

As ever have a few targets - set number of lengths etc and try to get quicker over time and so on.

Advertisement