Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should we move to left hand drive cars?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,231 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    I thought it would be hard to overtake there

Nah, ask the Germans, very easy to overtake Belgium and the Netherlands on your way to other places.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Vic_08 wrote: »
    Giving the Brits two fingers in the time honoured Paddy tradition of slapping ourselves in the face seems to be the most compelling reason anyone can find.
    They did it in Myanmar when the brits left. When we take back the north we could follow suit.

Myanmar's a mad one - they changed their sides of the road the whim of an army general but no-one changed their cars - and still now 40 years later, 90% of cars in Myanmar are RHD even though they drive on the right. They have a terrible road safety record as well. Not sure that's an example we'd want to follow! (even if it was just to annoy the Brits.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sweden gets named checked a lot but of course they drove LHD vehicles on RHD roads until 1967 due to a quirk of history so when they switched over they could actually see ahead much better. One supposes that in Sweden they kept a good distance back from the next vehicle so they could overtake at some point. or maybe Swedes just drove at the speed of the "lead vehicle" until it or they made a turn.

In the mix for us would be the existing infrastructure - junctions esp are engineered for RHD if we jumped to the other side it would be adding an extra level of danger (blind sides in panel vans etc). Imagine the number of collisions we'd see at roundabouts in the first few weeks as people look the wrong way as they enter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Sweden gets named checked a lot but of course they drove LHD vehicles on RHD roads until 1967 due to a quirk of history so when they switched over they could actually see ahead much better. One supposes that in Sweden they kept a good distance back from the next vehicle so they could overtake at some point. or maybe Swedes just drove at the speed of the "lead vehicle" until it or they made a turn. .

And there was a fraction of the number of cars on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭road_high

When cars first started appearing it was a pretty dumb idea to have two different sides for driving, should have chosen either left or right for the whole planet. But I suppose the world was a different place then and there was no mechanism to come together and agree.
    Ireland has no land border with a left drive nation/s so no big need to convert. Unless the uk ever did which is very unlikely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭billie1b

I thought it would be hard to overtake there

Never had any problems at all, people in Europe have lane discipline so it’s hassle free most the time, no lane hogging etc etc, over taking is just like at home

billie1b wrote: »
    Never had any problems at all, people in Europe have lane discipline so it’s hassle free most the time, no lane hogging etc etc, over taking is just like at home

How come almost every time I seem to be stuck behind lane hoggers here they’re nearly always rental cars driven by holiday makers!! Three yesterday in the M9 alone- two had to be flashed continuously to move over. One only doing about 100 Kmh in the overtaking lane in a Corsa and came up to them very quickly indeed. Perhaps they’re all Americans or other but it’s something I really find with rentals

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

They did it in Myanmar when the brits left. When we take back the north we could follow suit.

It’s a ridiculous idea and I’d be willing to bet a lot of money it doesn’t happen in the next 50
    Years.

Placing a large bet and waiting 50 years for a pay out is a ridiculous idea too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Self driving cars will drive on either side, so when they are introduced they'll just broadcast a signal and they'll all change over.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Europe? What all of it? Try driving in Czech Republic, Italy, Greece, Slovakia, France etc. It can be terrifying.
    Rural Czech had the worst driving I have seen outside of third world countries.

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Europe? What all of it? Try driving in Czech Republic, Italy, Greece, Slovakia, France etc. It can be terrifying.

I give out about the driving standards here but in reality I don't think they are that bad compared to the rest of the world. Probably verge more on the cautious/slow/hesitant side here vs the lunatics especially in southern and eastern Europe. Driving style here is a lot calmer and more relaxed if a tad unaware of other traffic and flows.
    We are close to top of the list now for low road deaths so at least we are fairly safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭billie1b

Was actually only in Prague last week, drove over the mountains from the Karpacz to it for a 2 night break away, didn’t find it bad at all, thats including windy country roads, rural and motorway. Have racked up a lot of miles in France, all corners of it, but especially the north west to the southwest, never any problems at all, each to their own I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

I drive Ireland to Poland every year, multiple times, through France, Belgium, Netherlands and Germany with no problems at all, what problems do you encounter?

Drivers that have no clue what lane to use, even if they never left Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

Are you insane?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

road_high wrote: »
    When cars first started appearing it was a pretty dumb idea to have two different sides for driving, should have chosen either left or right for the whole planet. But I suppose the world was a different place then and there was no mechanism to come together and agree.
    Ireland has no land border with a left drive nation/s so no big need to convert. Unless the uk ever did which is very unlikely

People used to drive on the left before cars were invented, there's a Roman quary were the tracks show this, as that way your sword arm was open. Driving on the right is the wrong side.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,662 ✭✭✭✭josip

Never been to Montenegro then?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mea_k

You must be mad. With all the deaths around this weekend on roads, people as is cannot drive safely.
    Tailgating, cutting in front and big one indicating.
    I nearly had close one again. And lady lost her **** at me untill I actually had to show her in RSA Book she was in wrong.
    It would only make matters worse.
    Half the time I wonder how did they pass their test in first place.
    Cork is mayham at the moment. If anything best would be in investing with photo radars. Will cut the amount of people speeding...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Del2005 wrote: »
    People used to drive on the left before cars were invented, there's a Roman quary were the tracks show this, as that way your sword arm was open. Driving on the right is the wrong side.

Right handed people drive on the left, left handed people drive on the right. Simple.

How come almost every time I seem to be stuck behind lane hoggers here they’re nearly always rental cars driven by holiday makers!! Three yesterday in the M9 alone- two had to be flashed continuously to move over. One only doing about 100 Kmh in the overtaking lane in a Corsa and came up to them very quickly indeed. Perhaps they’re all Americans or other but it’s something I really find with rentals

Another two of these plonkers today and absolutely no surprises again- tourists in rentals! I can't fathom it, how you'd tootle along at 100 km/h on a motorway in the overtaking lane totally oblivious to all behind you. So it's certainly not an Irish thing only

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Another two of these plonkers today and absolutely no surprises again- tourists in rentals! I can't fathom it, how you'd tootle along at 100 km/h on a motorway in the overtaking lane totally oblivious to all behind you. So it's certainly not an Irish thing only

They could be confused and think that they are in the driving lane not realising that it's different when you swap sides of the road. At least people on holidays have an excuse there's way to many Irish people who do worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Other countries allow overtaking on the inside too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Right handed people drive on the left, left handed people drive on the right. Simple.
    No. You drive using both hands, but right handed people prefer to operate all car controls with the right hand.

colm_mcm wrote: »

Good point and something you need to get used to fast if driving in the US, any given lane could be the fastest moving as you can undertake, overtake do as you please basically. You also need to be seriously on the ball when entering a freeway from a slip road as the slip roads are short, people generally won’t allow you much room to get in (though they will leave space if you are up to speed and decisive about what you are doing) and the inside lane could be the fastest moving.

I think it works well and find everything flows well I never saw the big issue with undertaking once you are aware you have you check your mirror (which you should anyway) it’s no more dangerous than overtaking.

I find the way people drive in the US suits my driving style in general, I suppose if you are a nervous driver you might be intimated but if you are a fairly aggressive driver (I don’t mean that in a very over the top dangerous way, more so you don’t day dream, get up to speed fast, want to keep moving as quickly as possible etc) you will find a lot of driver as similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

We should so I can drive from Ireland to Spain with no problems

The Bay of Biscay might have something to say about that.:D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Seweryn wrote: »
    No. You drive using both hands, but right handed people prefer to operate all car controls with the right hand.

Indeed, I had a rental 18 reg E-Class lately and the amount of times I went into N or D or R instead of operating the wipers...........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

I can't ever see it happening in Ireland as it would lead to too much confusion crossing the border and switching to the other side of the road.
    I remember hearing about northerners driving at 100 miles per hour in the south because they didn't understand the signs were in kilometers.
    This would be 10 times worse.

I drive a left hand drive for work (in Canada) and I can see the benefits as most of the world drives on the right.
    Also, as most people are right handed, it suits to have the gear shift to your right particularly in mainland Europe where manual cars are the norm (not here though where most cars, including mine, are automatic). I feel driving on the right has also made me a better driver as I can now switch back to the left when I'm in Ireland, UK, Australia, etc, so it has increased my skills in a way.

colm_mcm wrote: »

Maybe that is a lot of it- different rules here. Becuase i find its endemic with rentals. Not sure if others find the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

They did it in Myanmar when the brits left.

Yes, single track dirt roads where most of the population drove wooden carts drawn by bullocks, or cycled or walked.

Advertisement