Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Should we move to left hand drive cars?

Options
  • 20-07-2019 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

with the possibility of brexit being a hard one .. would it not make sense from a buyers perspective if we moved to left hand drive vehicles .. would make our buying options a lot better

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Irelands not nearly organized enough to pull it off.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dagen_H

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

This forum seems to favour the same thread over and over again.

glomar wrote: »
    with the possibility of brexit being a hard one .. would it not make sense from a buyers perspective if we moved to left hand drive vehicles .. would make our buying options a lot better

You can buy a left hand drive car anyway. Brexit has SFA to do with that decision.

If you’re suggesting changing to driving on the right hand side of the road, the answer is a hard ‘no’.

There’s enough crap driving as it is without adding that confusion into the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,670 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

No we will be raped out of it either way, same thing as when we presumed post single currency we would be charged nearly same for a VW Golf in Germany as we do here and we were not because of facilitation for our kip of a country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This topic seems to pop up here nearly every year at this rate.

Who's going to pay for readjusting all the roads, motorways, car park entrances, etc OP? How is Brexit going to change the fact that Britain will still need to buy cars from Europe so Europe will continue to make rhd drive cars? How do you deal with having to switch from lhd to rhd when driving between Northern Ireland and the South.

I cannot see one benefit or saving to switching that would outweigh any of the above disadvantages.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

No JDM muscle? I say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Vic_08

bazz26 wrote: »
    This topic seems to pop up here nearly every year at this rate.

Who's going to pay for readjusting all the roads, motorways, car park entrances, etc OP? How is Brexit going to change the fact that Britain will still need to buy cars from Europe so Europe will continue to make rhd drive cars? How do you deal with having to switch from lhd to rhd when driving between Northern Ireland and the South.

I cannot see one benefit or saving to switching that would outweigh any of the above disadvantages.

Giving the Brits two fingers in the time honoured Paddy tradition of slapping ourselves in the face seems to be the most compelling reason anyone can find.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Giving the Brits two fingers in the time honoured Paddy tradition of slapping ourselves in the face seems to be the most compelling reason anyone can find.
    They did it in Myanmar when the brits left. When we take back the north we could follow suit.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

We should make the change a gradual one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭Sarn

Exactly, every Monday, Wednesday and Friday to start. Or is that Monday, Tuesday and Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

In India they drive on the left and the right....and the middle and wherever else they want.
    The golden rule is beep your horn... incessantly:)

Seems to work ok

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

We should so I can drive from Ireland to Spain with no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

shanec1928 wrote: »
    They did it in Myanmar when the brits left. When we take back the north we could follow suit.

They did it around 20 years after that on the whim of the then dictator.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Any project that has to start with an estimate of the number of deaths is not great tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

JayZeus wrote: »
    You can buy a left hand drive car anyway. Brexit has SFA to do with that decision.

If you’re suggesting changing to driving on the right hand side of the road, the answer is a hard ‘no’.

There’s enough crap driving as it is without adding that confusion into the mix.

You can, but I see it’s a question on insurance forms, do they load the policy if the car is left hand drive ?

No, for a multitude of reasons one of them being it’s the wrong side of the road to drive. The steering whee on the right and driving on the left is the technically correct way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Aye.

Lorries and busses would start driving on the right on Monday, the remaining few a week later.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,938 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

glomar wrote: »

With the way Brexit is going it could still be worth while buying in the UK even when you add VAT and duty, Sterling is falling and could fall more.

Switching sides of the road can't be done here as it would involve way to much work, which couldn't be done in a single night.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Maybe it could be tested here and there on a pilot basis?

Kilgarvan Co. Kerry would be a good place to start.

• Advertisement

To do it easily say left hand drive cars are good to reduce climate change because blah blah blah blah, they will follow you like zombies and every opposition will be silenced.

Eventually It will happen naturally, cyclists are forcing me to drive on the right more and more every day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭billie1b

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    We should so I can drive from Ireland to Spain with no problems

I drive Ireland to Poland every year, multiple times, through France, Belgium, Netherlands and Germany with no problems at all, what problems do you encounter?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have to laugh everytime I read comments like the above. If there ever is a United ireland, it’ll not be in anyone here’s lifetime.

I don’t want to derail this thread although it’s been beaten to death several times before but how do all the little republicans propose a United Ireland is going to happen when 50% of the NI population is unionist? Do you think they’ll just roll over and give in? It’s a ridiculous idea and I’d be willing to bet a lot of money it doesn’t happen in the next 50
    Years.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,670 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

As a right handed person RHD is the only way to go.

billie1b wrote: »
    I drive Ireland to Poland every year, multiple times, through France, Belgium, Netherlands and Germany with no problems at all, what problems do you encounter?
    I thought it would be hard to overtake there

• Registered Users Posts: 14,769 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

We'll all get helicopters. Roads are over rated anyways.
    Airborne is the new thing now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

When we take back the north we could follow suit.

It won't matter which side of the road we drive on at that stage, we'll all be using flying cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,769 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Effects wrote: »
    It won't matter which side of the road we drive on at that stage, we'll all be using flying cars.

Ohhh snap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Cost huge, advantage negligible.

Advertisement