Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improving carpal tunnel

Options
  • 09-07-2019 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I have carpal tunnel, have been to multiple physios, doctors and consultants and nothing has helped yet.

Next step is injections, failing that I may need an operation. But in the mean time I'm in a huge amount of pain, anything you'd recommend if you've experienced it before? Or do you recommend a certain physio etc?

I'm already reducing my phone usage which is usually massive but I work in IT so I still have to use computers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Have you tried using wrist splints at night? I had awful carpal tunnel pain when I was pregnant and found wearing the splints at night held my wrist straight and reduced the pain considerably. A HSE physio gave me the splints, they look like fingerless gloves with a hard bit over the wrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Nevermindnow

Have you tried using wrist splints at night? I had awful carpal tunnel pain when I was pregnant and found wearing the splints at night held my wrist straight and reduced the pain considerably. A HSE physio gave me the splints, they look like fingerless gloves with a hard bit over the wrist.

I'm currently trying a pair that I got from amazon. I think the physio might get custom ones next time I go to them. Only been a few weeks though so not sure yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Ceepo

I have carpal tunnel, have been to multiple physios, doctors and consultants and nothing has helped yet.

Next step is injections, failing that I may need an operation. But in the mean time I'm in a huge amount of pain, anything you'd recommend if you've experienced it before? Or do you recommend a certain physio etc?

I'm already reducing my phone usage which is usually massive but I work in IT so I still have to use computers.
    What are your symptoms besides pain?.
    What treatment did you have from Physiotherapists. ?

Ceepo wrote: »
    What are your symptoms besides pain?.
    What treatment did you have from Physiotherapists. ?

Hard to do basic things at times like opening doors, typing etc.

Physio done exercises, accupuncture, checked my desk at work (from a picture anyway) etc. Pretty much everything

Physio done exercises, accupuncture, checked my desk at work (from a picture anyway) etc. Pretty much everything

Excersis, what type.. did they do and type of massage work.
    Did the physio/ doctor check for Thoracic outlet syndrome. ?
    Symptoms can often be very similar, but come form a different issue altogether

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Go get the operation done if you can at all. It's about 20 mins, 2 hours in the hospital in total. 3 weeks recovery but 100% success

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    Go get the operation done if you can at all. It's about 20 mins, 2 hours in the hospital in total. 3 weeks recovery but 100% success

Wow..... "100% sucess "

Can you define sucess..?

Not sure where you came across that stat... but I'd go check it again if I were you..

A quick 30 second Google search would suggest that it's not a 100% sucess in fact its not even close.
    Less than 50% cured, with 28% much better, so approx 25% not much better at all.. some even worse!!!

https://www.carpal-tunnel.net/treatments/sprognosis

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

The point I was making was that continuing to manage the pain isn't really worth it for what is now a relatively simple surgery. Everyone I know that has had it done has been successful. It runs in my family.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,798 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I had my right hand operated on about six or seven years ago, and it was successful. Pins and needles had been waking me up at night, hand throbbing with numbness, couldn't shake it out. It never happens now.

Tried the splints at the time, but they never really helped.

I had it to a bit lesser extent in my left also at that time, but that's my dominant hand so I've been putting off getting that operated on. It's getting worse now, I've had a couple of injections in it, but got around 2 months out of them and then it was like someone just switched the CT back on.

I'm kind of resigned to getting the operation on the left now :(

• Advertisement

LiamaDelta wrote: »
    The point I was making was that continuing to manage the pain isn't really worth it for what is now a relatively simple surgery. Everyone I know that has had it done has been successful. It runs in my family.

The point I was making was, it's not always 100% successful.
    Delighted for all your family and the people you know that they had a good outcome.
    Unfortunately I know people who had the operation and it wasn't

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Have you moved over to a vertical mouse yet?

Have you moved over to a vertical mouse yet?

Yes, it didn't help unfortunately

Advertisement