Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting copper coil out

Options
  • 05-07-2019 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

I have had the copper coil for 1.5 years, my periods have lasted 10 days each month since I've had it, before they lasted 5/6 days.
    Anyone who has had this and got it out, did your periods return to normal after?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭GRACKEA

katie275 wrote: »
    I have had the copper coil for 1.5 years, my periods have lasted 10 days each month since I've had it, before they lasted 5/6 days.
    Anyone who has had this and got it out, did your periods return to normal after?
    Thanks

I got mine out recently due to different complications. Had it in for a similar length of time. Periods did return to normal immediately though mine were always quite heavy. Such a pity because it's the only non hormonal larc.

I also found the removal a bit more uncomfortable than the insertion but it's quick and there were no lasting aches or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

Unfortunately his is the most common reason for coil removal (heavy periods) as it does make periods heavier. It’s a pity as it is reliable, non hormonal and lasts 5-10 years (depending on the coil). Things should settle down pretty quickly once it is removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Bitches Be Trypsin

Sorry to bump but does anyone know if the copper coil is covered by the medical card? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 CopperLady

Sorry to bump but does anyone know if the copper coil is covered by the medical card? :)

Unfortunately it isn't. Only the hormonal coil is covered. The copper coil cost me €52 a few years ago in the pharmacy (GP prescription and insertion procedure might be covered, but the device itself is not).

Advertisement