Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

service outboard

Options
  • 24-06-2019 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi all ...
    what does it take to service a yamaha 50hp 2 stroke outboard ??? can it be done DIY . or do i need to get a boat machanic ?? this outboard has not been run in 4 years .

cheers lads .

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

You can do it, there are lots of videos on youtube that cover every part of the job, you will need to change the impeller thats a rubber fin wheel in the water pump, the carb might also need a rebuild so you will need a gasket kit for that, new fuel filter, spark plugs and gear oil and you should be good to go. It's a good way to get to know your engine and how it works incase you ever have any problems out on the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭seaking

thanks fergal . . the boat is in athy . do you know or can you recommend anyone that would do the job for me . it just i,m a complete novice and would not chance it myself ......

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Not sure about the Athy area maybe Lowtown marine service someone else might know of a place closer to you.

great thanks fergal ....

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭welder

Bought an outboard from Brian in Horsepower Workshop a couple of years ago and found him sound.
    He's located in Mountrath. Had lots of Yamaha 2 strokes knocking around.

https://www.horsepowerworkshop.com

• Advertisement

thats great welder . i,v been in contact with him and yes he can do it . have to bring the boat to him . cheers man .

Advertisement