Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PPC 1 - 2019 Blackhall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Leraf

Yohnathan wrote: »
    I only applied last week and heard that there was a waiting list but suspect that they will let late applicants in. I know of people who applied just before the normal PPC 1 was starting and got in.

They said in the email there are places left and I believe there were 35 spots released. Open to correction though.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Yohnathan

Leraf wrote: »
    They said in the email there are places left and I believe there were 35 spots released. Open to correction though.

Which email is that? This is good news!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Daly29

Hi everyone, I'm looking to start PPC1 in September 2020 so trying to secure a training contract. I want a career in general practice, criminal, basically anything other than corporate really. I have good experience and I think I would get called for corporate contract interviews. I'm 34 so eager to start ASAP but equally eager not to go down a road I don't want to. My question is am I limiting myself too much if I don't apply for the corparte trainee contracts? Should I just apply for everything and take a corporate contract if that's all that is on the table and transition after my trainee is complete? Any advice appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Coleman101

Hi Guys, I’m aware this thread is more so in relation to the hybrid, but I was wondering could someone help me out.. Question: Does my firm have to pay my wages while I attend PPC1 (September start)? Any help appreciated! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

Coleman101 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, I’m aware this thread is more so in relation to the hybrid, but I was wondering could someone help me out.. Question: Does my firm have to pay my wages while I attend PPC1 (September start)? Any help appreciated! Thanks

Hi there! If I remember correctly from one of our trainee lectures, the firm doesn't have to pay your wages if you start in September unfortunately :/. It is at their discretion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Scarymary13

Hi all, I couldn't make the open day. Was there anything important I missed? A quick run down would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭yournerd

lawless11 wrote: »
    Hi there! If I remember correctly from one of our trainee lectures, the firm doesn't have to pay your wages if you start in September unfortunately :/. It is at their discretion.
    Entitled to a living wage while at PPC

I believe it is the minimum wage rather than the living wage that they have to pay you as a minimum amount ie 9.80.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭lawless11

As I said, I'm pretty sure that if you didn't work prior in the law firm, the firm does NOT have to pay you while you're in Blackhall. It's at their discretion from what I remember from the PPC1 lecture on traineeships.

https://www.lawsociety.ie/globalassets/documents/education/trainees/mintraineesalaries.pdf

"A trainee solicitor who works in his/her training solicitor’s office before commencing on the PPC I, is, in accordance with the NWMA2000, entitled to be paid a salary while on the PPC I. "

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Freckley201

Does anyone know if your character references can be from the same legal department you will be training in, once not from your actual
    training solicitor?

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if your character references can be from the same legal department you will be training in, once not from your actual
    training solicitor?

No problem for one of them anyway. I used someone from my office but I also submitted like 4 non work related references.

Does anyone know what the memory is like with the 32gb I-Pad ? Is it enough for all of the material or is it worth getting a larger memory?

Does anyone know what the memory is like with the 32gb I-Pad ? Is it enough for all of the material or is it worth getting a larger memory?

I was wondering which ipad was best too. I believe the free one last year was only 16gb and that it was sufficient so i think we are good with the 32gb.

Would be glad to hear opinions on it though.

Hey all, just finalising the indenture deed and noticed in the guide it says the training solicitors signature can’t be witnessed by a solicitor/commissioner from in your training firm........is that right?!?! What did you guys do?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭vid36

Hey all, just finalising the indenture deed and noticed in the guide it says the training solicitors signature can’t be witnessed by a solicitor/commissioner from in your training firm........is that right?!?! What did you guys do?

Firms usually have an arrangement with another firm for these situations.

vid36 wrote: »
    Firms usually have an arrangement with another firm for these situations.

That is for Form 4 only.

That is for Form 4 only.

Ugh, we definitely don't as it's an in-house legal department. Its gonna be difficult to get my training solicitor to come with me to a random solicitor's office just to sign a form :(

Ugh, we definitely don't as it's an in-house legal department. Its gonna be difficult to get my training solicitor to come with me to a random solicitor's office just to sign a form :(

You just have to ask, it is the only way unless there is an arrangement.

I am in-house too. I just gave Form 4 to my boss and she went and got a solicitor to sign it no hassle.

For the other forms, I just got one of the solicitors on my team to witness our signatures.

They are training you so it is in their interest to get the form finalised. Just ask.

Leraf wrote: »
    I was wondering which ipad was best too. I believe the free one last year was only 16gb and that it was sufficient so i think we are good with the 32gb.

Would be glad to hear opinions on it though.

I just selected the free one as I too had heard the previous one was only 16gb so I assumed that 32 gb is enough!

Thanks

• Advertisement

I just selected the free one as I too had heard the previous one was only 16gb so I assumed that 32 gb is enough!

Thanks

Me too. Looking forward to Wednesday now.

Has anyone been able to access the timetable yet?

Has anyone been able to access the timetable yet?

No not yet but could be just me

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Lostudent

No not yet but could be just me

I don’t have access to anything yet myself - no timetable or lectures. I thought our first weekend of tutorials was starting January 10th, should we not be starting work on things by now? I can’t see anything that says when lectures etc will become available.

The lectures will not be released until after the first weekend.At least, that is what we were told during the induction day.I think it makes sense to have a gentle introduction given all the Christmas and New Year celebrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Lostudent

The lectures will not be released until after the first weekend.At least, that is what we were told during the induction day.I think it makes sense to have a gentle introduction given all the Christmas and New Year celebrations.

Great, thanks!

Does anyone have the list of dates of tutorial weekends post-January? I know they were shown during the induction day but I can't seem to find them anywhere...

Lostudent wrote: »
    Great, thanks!

Does anyone have the list of dates of tutorial weekends post-January? I know they were shown during the induction day but I can't seem to find them anywhere...

Believe the timetable is at the end of the email about the induction day, it was sent as an attachment on my email.

I can only find the timetable for the induction day itself. Please tell me if I am missing it.

There was talk of having a guided tour before beginning class on Friday too.

I don't see any timetable up yet.Can I ask what people are planning to do with the books?Are we expected to bring them to Dublin for every weekend session?

• Advertisement

Lostudent wrote: »
    Great, thanks!

The calendar dates for the on-site weekends are in the PPC hybrid info pdf at:

https://www.lawsociety.ie/globalassets/documents/education/ppc-hybrid/ppc-hybrid-brochure.pdf

I haven’t seen any timetable for this Friday though, so not sure what time it’s kicking off at or what we might need to bring.

Advertisement