Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Download Festival 2019

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

The lineup on Saturday is shockingly weak to be fair outside of epica, carcass and batushka I’d struggle to drag myself to any of those acts. I Think the days of these big 3 day metal fests are numbered. Many will probably restructure to a bloodstock like size and more small niches ones will pop up which is fairness may be no bad thing.

I think Saturday is the best day but even then there is only 4 bands I would listen to, I think people just go to these things for a holiday to camp and the music is a bonus or else they maybe are easy to please with music.

Not exactly the festival of a wealth of things to do if you're not watching bands tbh, they have wrestling the last few years if that's your bag.

Anyway to answer your question anytime before they start, Route to main stage is on a hill so that's handy to see the show, you'd make it close to front if you really desired anyhow. If you wanted close as you can get to barrier at stage type thing you'd likely have to go down earlier.

It's been a number of years since I've been but pretty certain I recall they'll have a higher portion of people at it than I've seen or seen since at any other festival who will stalk stage from gate opening time to make sure they are on the rail for the headliner.

I planned to go to the main stage halfway through Die Antwoord who are before Slipknot, do you think I could get at least up half way near the sound tower? It is my first time seeing Slipknot so wouldn't want to have to watch it on the screen the full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

do you think I could get at least up half way near the sound tower? It is my first time seeing Slipknot so wouldn't want to have to watch it on the screen the full time.
    That would be off no problem whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Looking proper wet over there.
    Seems camping is a mud pool. Least the main venue won't be until tomorrow. So by Saturday are we thinking hardcore raingear?
    Yay - Summer :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

I'm delighted it's raining. The only downloads I've been to are 2012 and 2016. Both absolutely awful years for weather. Any year I don't go seems to be lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

A friend of mine just booked a hotel for the weekend last minute after seeing the weather

D.Q wrote: »
    I'm delighted it's raining. The only downloads I've been to are 2012 and 2016. Both absolutely awful years for weather. Any year I don't go seems to be lovely.

Went to 3 of them 12-15, the one I skipped 14 had the most beautiful weather, typical. :pac:

Always remember Black Stone Cherry in 15 opened up with Rain Wizard literally the moment the drums kicked the skies opened up for a major downpour that was to last the night. Many couldn't hack it and deserted, after they finished went down the hill Slipknot were headlining played Psychosocial about third song...and the rain will kill us all, the lols.

Nothing matched 2012 for me of course Brownload, hard to believe I heard 16 was worse. :eek:

Went to 3 of them 12-15, the one I skipped 14 had the most beautiful weather, typical. :pac:

Always remember Black Stone Cherry in 15 opened up with Rain Wizard literally the moment the drums kicked the skies opened up for a major downpour that was to last the night. Many couldn't hack it and deserted, after they finished went down the hill Slipknot were headlining played Psychosocial about third song...and the rain will kill us all, the lols.

Nothing matched 2012 for me of course Brownload, hard to believe I heard 16 was worse. :eek:

The rain was at opposite times. In 2012 it was bad from wed afternoon til friday night. 2016 was scorching on wed and thurs, and then literally as the music started on friday, the rain started.

It was the heaviest rain I have ever experienced, and apparently it was so localised over the festival that it didn't even show up on the EMA weather forecasts.

That initial rain levelled the campsite. Gazebos, tents, everything just destroyed. There were literal rivers running through the campsite. The rain basically didn't stop all weekend. Impossible to go anywhere or do anything, mud everywhere. At least DL 2012 brightened up for Saturday and sunday. The ground in the arena was mostly back to normal by Sunday.

2016 there was no respite. Horrendous. Has put me off ever camping there again. Too many people all making the same journey each day. Its horrendously laid out. Smaller, better organised festivals allow the crowd to be more evenly spread out, which helps preserve the ground a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Nothing will ever be worse than download 2016, i have never experienced nor SEEN rain like it before or since!

Looking at videos of this year...compared to 2016 it looks like a sun holiday! :pac:

Nothing will ever be worse than download 2016, i have never experienced nor SEEN rain like it before or since!

Looking at videos of this year...compared to 2016 it looks like a sun holiday! :pac:

Haha anyone that was there that weekend shares a bond.

A brown, muddy mark on our souls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭aj89

I didn't mind 2016! We stayed in the Ready to Rock campsite, so there was not too much foot traffic. The jacks and shower were kept quite clean too!

2012 though............ It was my first Download, my missus was struggling carrying bits through the village. I left her for a while, found a spot to set up the tent, then went back to her and carried everything else.... Remember seeing so many tents getting washed away!

Great times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

So got some wellies today, will bring the coat and chance my arm not paying baggage for the 8.05 flight tomorrow. Plenty of acts there for me.

Funnel cloud spotted at the Isle of wight festival so hopefully the weather moves before tomorrow because I can't cope with flying at the best of times and I'm heading alone.

anyone on the 8.05 flight tomorrow want to share a taxi?

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Is there a live stream over the weekend?

Vudgie wrote: »
    Is there a live stream over the weekend?

No they just do a 3 hour highlights show on Sky Arts in a few weeks time I think.

The Slipknot performance was very good, it was enjoyable to watch them during the sunset, I had to watch from a bit of a distance as I felt that the mud was a nightmare to walk in especially near the stage, there was no atmosphere where I watched at, just people eating hot dogs so I will have to go see them on their tour too.

The Slipknot performance was very good, it was enjoyable to watch them during the sunset, I had to watch from a bit of a distance as I felt that the mud was a nightmare to walk in especially near the stage, there was no atmosphere where I watched at, just people eating hot dogs so I will have to go see them on their tour too.

No boots or wellies? :D

Looked managable compared to other years the week leading up looked like could be more miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

They’re were terrible, the sound was awful too. 20 years since I first seen them live and they have gone downhill since!

Anyways at least we have Lamb if God, Tool, Anthrax, Slayer to look forward tontoday!

No boots or wellies? :D

Looked managable compared to other years the week leading up looked like could be more miserable.

I was wearing steel toe boots, towards the end of the evening i realised that it may have been because i was walking wrong, when i was lodged in the mud my first instinct was to pull up from the toe when i really should have been pulling up from the heel, my boots were starting to split. I was actually considering leaving as soon as i got there but i found the Avalanche stage which was easy to walk in. I hadn't that much of a problem walking out so it probably was due to me walking incorrectly.

frag420 wrote: »
    They’re were terrible, the sound was awful too. 20 years since I first seen them live and they have gone downhill since!

Anyways at least we have Lamb if God, Tool, Anthrax, Slayer to look forward tontoday!

It was my first time but from where I was standing his voice was very clear and his screaming was strong, I was in line with the sound tower but way out at the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

That was a fun Saturday :D:D
    Got to see every band I wanted and meet Mark Hoppus (one of my first crushes :o)

I enjoyed Slipknot, thought they were great considering Shawn's personal situations.

Will definitely try see them on their next tour.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Hoping they bring Knotfest over here or a version of it

Zwillinge wrote: »

I enjoyed Slipknot, thought they were great considering Shawn's personal situations.

Will definitely try see them on their next tour.

Is the other percussionist still Chris?

I'll likely only see them on new album tour if they come here, have to make do with Graspop this week for now :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

The lineup on Saturday is shockingly weak to be fair outside of epica, carcass and batushka I’d struggle to drag myself to any of those acts. I Think the days of these big 3 day metal fests are numbered. Many will probably restructure to a bloodstock like size and more small niches ones will pop up which is fairness may be no bad thing.

You're nuts if you think the days of Download or similar festivals are numbered. I've been since 2013 on the trot and this year was by far the busiest year I've seen in general. Main stage had a decent crowd round the clock, second stage was as busy as I've ever seen it round the clock, and the tents were nowhere near big enough to accommodate the crowds that were assembling. Andy Copping has confirmed that ticket sales are on par with last year when GnR headlined and that was one of the highest selling years they've had in a while.

Saturday's line-up wasn't shockingly weak for many people. For me it was one of the strongest line ups I've seen across one day. Between Power Trip, Skindred, Trivium, Behemoth and Alien Weaponry, main stage was stacked all day, and that was before Slipknot even took to the stage to close things out. I appreciate this is all subjective, but general consensus on the forums, and round the arena and campsite was that this was the strongest year Download has seen for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

frag420 wrote: »

Is this in relation to Slipknot? Having seen them at least 10 times since 04 and having caught their last 3 download headline sets , this was as good as I've seen them in years. Cory's vocals were on point, band sounded as tight as ever, setlist even had a few surprises. And I'm not sure where you were standing but the sound was phenomenal across the majority of the arena. We were at the front for the first two thirds and then took a wander to get beers and escape the mud, and not once did the sound dip in quality regardless of our position.

goon_magee wrote: »
    You're nuts if you think the days of Download or similar festivals are numbered. I've been since 2013 on the trot and this year was by far the busiest year I've seen in general. Main stage had a decent crowd round the clock, second stage was as busy as I've ever seen it round the clock, and the tents were nowhere near big enough to accommodate the crowds that were assembling.

Don't see it myself healthy I think I mean I was at Graspop where Hellfest falls on the same weekend and both were sold out! I've always said it time and again those tents at Download are a waste of time and pretty pathetic for a major festival.
    Saturday's line-up wasn't shockingly weak for many people. For me it was one of the strongest line ups I've seen across one day. Between Power Trip, Skindred, Trivium, Behemoth and Alien Weaponry, main stage was stacked all day, and that was before Slipknot even took to the stage to close things out. I appreciate this is all subjective, but general consensus on the forums, and round the arena and campsite was that this was the strongest year Download has seen for years.
    Behemoth and Trivium were strong showings at Graspop too, Slipknot played to the biggest crowd I've ever seen for a band at GMM outside of Maiden and Rammstein. Pity we didn't get Alien Weaponry.
    Is this in relation to Slipknot? Having seen them at least 10 times since 04 and having caught their last 3 download headline sets , this was as good as I've seen them in years. Cory's vocals were on point, band sounded as tight as ever, setlist even had a few surprises.
    At Graspop they were the best I've seen in years too,has to be the first time I've seen them not play Wait and Bleed or Eyeless. Prosthetics and Vermilion were great to get and Unsainted was stunning live.

Is this in relation to Slipknot? Having seen them at least 10 times since 04 and having caught their last 3 download headline sets , this was as good as I've seen them in years. Cory's vocals were on point, band sounded as tight as ever, setlist even had a few surprises. And I'm not sure where you were standing but the sound was phenomenal across the majority of the arena. We were at the front for the first two thirds and then took a wander to get beers and escape the mud, and not once did the sound dip in quality regardless of our position.

The setlist wasn't much of a surprise if you were following the previous setlist on the tour, they haven't made one change since starting the tour, that annoys be a bit as bands that i've seen usually try to shake it up a bit by playing 1 different song or a mash up. Mike Shinoda of Linkin Park was very good with this in his solo tour this year, he was aware that fans were following him around Europe and so he changed the setlist every night, you didn't know what he was going to play until the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭Degag

There is a festival highlights show on tonight (and tomorrow night, not sure) on Sky Arts at 9pm.

Advertisement