Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Download Festival 2019

• 23-10-2018 2:09pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭

44617841_10155932420505687_1085730993278550016_o.png?_nc_cat=108&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=4648a134cde63c2a4f785d37ae17ef85&oe=5C8827A3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

They are massive headliners, Slipknot are always excellent at Download.

If Trivium are on the same day I will grab a Saturday ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭RayCon

oooooooh , last time Tesla played download they squeezed in a headline show in Belfast - fingers crossed for a repeat

• Registered Users Posts: 37,758 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

i wonder will we see any of these added to Slane as its only a week earlier than this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

It's been a few years since I've been genuinely impressed with a Download Lineup - but that one is noice!

Wonder will Tool be able to pop over here and hang around an Iveagh Garden or a Malahide Castle...

I'm just worried Brexit could ruin the fun somehow :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

RayCon wrote: »
    oooooooh , last time Tesla played download they squeezed in a headline show in Belfast - fingers crossed for a repeat

Dunno how I missed that, never seen them and really want too thought the last time they played the isle was supporting Def Leppard.

• Advertisement

Dunno how I missed that, never seen them and really want too thought the last time they played the isle was supporting Def Leppard.

As far as I know they've played in Ireland 5 times ...

• Supporting Def Leppard in the SFX 1987 (I was at that - specifically went to see Tesla) :cool:
    • Supporting Def Leppard in Belfast 1987 (2 nights)
    • Supporting Def Leppard in the The O2 2009 (they were openers on a 3 band bill so no way was I paying €60 to see 4 or 5 songs) :(
    • Download Warm Up Gig in Belfast 2014 - still pissed I couldn't go up for it:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Is that Tool headline set an exclusive?

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Is that Tool headline set an exclusive?

Nope. Playing dates in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Nope. Playing dates in Europe.
    I see the dates now. Looks like no other UK date. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭aj89

Slayer, Smashing Pumpkins, Lamb of God and Dream Theater just announced.

I may be giving it a miss this year.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I know a few friends heading over but yea im not mad on the line up at all.

46488150_10158060538814202_754061554118295552_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=ee5dda8db10d828745f286c60ec48d3a&oe=5C7B7E0A

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

Slipknot are the only one I'm interested in, I don't know if it is worth the money going over, I would imagine trying to get a ticket for a Slipknot arena show would be a nightmare though

Slipknot are the only one I'm interested in, I don't know if it is worth the money going over, I would imagine trying to get a ticket for a Slipknot arena show would be a nightmare though

Not at all, they were in Dublin and Belfast a year apart on the last album tour and while the crowds were certainly healthy neither was next to near sold out and the Dublin show had Korn with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭peter4918

In fairness Anthrax deserve to be a couple of rungs higher up on that bill ladder (if that makes sense). I think they are a lot better than some of those headlining bands.

Personally I can't believe how low Opeth are on the bill ... :eek:

Outside of the logo bands poster is in Alphabetical order :D

Outside of the logo bands poster is in Alphabetical order :D

D'oh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I'll probably go to the one in Madrid, as I love Tool and they hardly ever play on this side of pond.

I decided to go see the rapper from Linkin Park instead, what would Corey think? Maybe he would approve

Pity no word on a Irish Tesla date, odd they still have only 2 European dates scheduled and they are 6 days apart.

• Advertisement

I decided to go to this for the first time just for the saturday, 20th anniversary Slipknot seems to good to miss, it seems I will have to stay in the airport until 9 in the morning though as that is when the Belfast flight is, hotels are over £100 last time I looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭aj89

I decided to go to this for the first time just for the saturday, 20th anniversary Slipknot seems to good to miss, it seems I will have to stay in the airport until 9 in the morning though as that is when the Belfast flight is, hotels are over £100 last time I looked.

Doing similar myself. Just got Saturday day tickets there. The plan is to fly in the Saturday morning, go to the festival, walk back to the airport to kill some time, then just sleep in the departures hall until we are allow through security!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Doing the Day Tripper on Saturday also!

Last time I was at Download they had wristbands for a cashless festival. Is this still a thing and for day?

Saturday ticket has arrived! I'm flying in early has anyone any tips on killing the time till behemoth?

Toobz wrote: »
    Saturday ticket has arrived! I'm flying in early has anyone any tips on killing the time till behemoth?

Personally if I was going I'd take in Alien Weaponry and Power Trip both thrash bands AW like a New Zealand Sepultura for all the world tossing in the Maori tongue here and there, PT are fused with Hardcore with a very energetic front man. Not fussed with either prob have brekkie in the village of Donington instead there's really not much about heading straight to the arena is your best bet imo.

Personally if I was going I'd take in Alien Weaponry and Power Trip both thrash bands AW like a New Zealand Sepultura for all the world tossing in the Maori tongue here and there, PT are fused with Hardcore with a very energetic front man. Not fussed with either prob have brekkie in the village of Donington instead there's really not much about heading straight to the arena is your best bet imo.

Alien weaponry is a great shout! Such basic heavy riffs it has to sound great live. So the main arena has nothing going on for the first few hours? I’ll hit the village if so and have a long breakfast

I'm going for the first time, Saturday day ticket but am only watching 3 bands, I am very fussy with music and have no interest in 70% of the bands at festivals.

I wonder what time you would need to be at the main stage in order to get an ok view of Slipknot?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

I'm going for the first time, Saturday day ticket but am only watching 3 bands, I am very fussy with music and have no interest in 70% of the bands at festivals.

I wonder what time you would need to be at the main stage in order to get an ok view of Slipknot?

The lineup on Saturday is shockingly weak to be fair outside of epica, carcass and batushka I’d struggle to drag myself to any of those acts. I Think the days of these big 3 day metal fests are numbered. Many will probably restructure to a bloodstock like size and more small niches ones will pop up which is fairness may be no bad thing.

Not exactly the festival of a wealth of things to do if you're not watching bands tbh, they have wrestling the last few years if that's your bag.

Anyway to answer your question anytime before they start, Route to main stage is on a hill so that's handy to see the show, you'd make it close to front if you really desired anyhow. If you wanted close as you can get to barrier at stage type thing you'd likely have to go down earlier.

It's been a number of years since I've been but pretty certain I recall they'll have a higher portion of people at it than I've seen or seen since at any other festival who will stalk stage from gate opening time to make sure they are on the rail for the headliner.

• Advertisement

The lineup on Saturday is shockingly weak to be fair outside of epica, carcass and batushka I’d struggle to drag myself to any of those acts. I Think the days of these big 3 day metal fests are numbered. Many will probably restructure to a bloodstock like size and more small niches ones will pop up which is fairness may be no bad thing.

Shocking set time for Epica, they'll get about 5 songs in :o

Skindred are entertaining live.

Advertisement