Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GAA Commentators

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Early..... The pain

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Dots1982 wrote: »
    I don’t listen to GAA commentators mostly but have to say Oisin Mcconville was bad today. Was so disconnected from the flow of the game. Didn’t catch on at all that this was a statement performance from Kerry. Called it “Championship-lite” and criticized Kerry for not pushing on like Dublin would. They were 10 points up at the time.

Spillane and Mcstay got the tone right in the studio.

Ya he's poor on match commentary but saw him a couple of times doing studio analysis on BBC and thought he was quite good, he has a grating accent though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭slegs

Marty said at start of Cork Kilkenny match that it was first knock out game of year for both. Stupid thing to say anyway but even more so when it was untrue with Cork playing Westmeath week before

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭liatroimabu

Dots1982 wrote: »
    I don’t listen to GAA commentators mostly but have to say Oisin Mcconville was bad today. Was so disconnected from the flow of the game. Didn’t catch on at all that this was a statement performance from Kerry. Called it “Championship-lite” and criticized Kerry for not pushing on like Dublin would. They were 10 points up at the time.

Spillane and Mcstay got the tone right in the studio.

Yeah was surprised with how poor he was as a co-commentator because have to say I really enjoy his analysis as an in studio pundit on the BBC Ulster championship coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Hurling Hereford

shrewdness wrote: »
    I don't think it's necessary to have a pocket full of Celtic crosses to warrant being either a commentator or pundit. But by God you have to be fit for the job, Dessie is as bland and inoffensive as you'll get. Rarely says anything of note and certainly doesn't offer much insight.

Having said that, I'd certainly take him over Martin "very much so" Carney. Maybe Dolan will improve with time.

Martin Carney is a complete disaster. All he's good for is 'kissing' Dublin footballers' ar$e$

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Martin Carney is a complete disaster. All he's good for is 'kissing' Dublin footballers' ar$e$

Martin Carney??????

Wasn't he the guy who cried on tv when Dublin beat Mayo? He hates the Dubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Cant mind his name now but the commentator in the Cork Tyrone game, usually decent but he's becoming obsessed with possession stats. Meaningless drivel generally, considering how the game has become so possession based

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

blanch152 wrote: »
    Martin Carney??????

Wasn't he the guy who cried on tv when Dublin beat Mayo? He hates the Dubs.

I agree he's not the best co commentator but that statement is simply untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

seligehgit wrote:
    I agree he's not the best co commentator but that statement is simply untrue.

It has to be said, no malice in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Ger Canning sounds so unnatural and false he’d put anyone to sleep !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Spotted Marty getting selfies with people outside the Hogan last night. In fairness to him, he brings a lot of enthusiasm to the job, and has strong emotional attachment, which can sometimes come across as twee, but at least he doesn't sound like he's talking about diesel engines!

Muircheartaigh is unfair comparison for anyone because he just went into a sort of jazz improv at times, and had huge knowledge not only of the sports but of the culture generally.

Ní feicimid a leithead arís, as he might have said himself!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Ger Canning sounds so unnatural and false he’d put anyone to sleep !

I hear Canning get a lot of criticism but I think he's actually good. Most of the co-commentators are not great though. Dolan is poor, really offers nothing more than the lad beside you in the stand would say to his kids. Can't think of any of the co-commentators who are exceptional at their job tbh.

But I think it's a leap to hope that all ex players are natural analysts and co-commentators. Maybe they should try a journalist in the role! Although knowing RTE they would probably give us Cliona Foley.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Ní feicimid a leithead arís, as he might have said himself!

Yes, we will certainly miss Marty when he is gone. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭PatrickSmithUS

Are there other presenters that could replace Des on TSG?

He kills discussion and rolls out the Dublin bias whenever he can - not to mention championing the two tier system rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Most of the co-commentators are not great though. Dolan is poor, really offers nothing more than the lad beside you in the stand would say to his kids.

Great summation of Dolan's commentary!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Muircheartaigh is unfair comparison for anyone because he just went into a sort of jazz improv at times, and had huge knowledge not only of the sports but of the culture generally.

A great description of his commentary. He just had the gift of the gab, a great turn of phrase and seemed to know every GAA player in the country inside out.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Treble double

Darragh Moloney is head and shoulders above everyone else, seems to have a feel for the games and does what he is supposed to do ie. commentate on the action as opposed to attempting to offer tactical advice or telling us innane ****e about a players personal life.
    Marty "far as" Morrissey should not be let near a football game, he has no feel for it and sucks the energy out of it. Let him at the hurling and he can give one of his pre prepared speeches to increase the cultural feel for the ancient game.
    Ger Canning amazes me, commentating on GAA for 30 years plus and still has no natural feel for the game, you would be forgiven for thinking he was commentating on beach volleyball at the olyimpics such is the clunkiness of his commentaries

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

There's a few lads stealing a living alright. Carney is woeful. Dessie Dolan boring. Nicky English and Early over on Sky as co commentators are very poor.

Took me some time to warm to Ger Canning but he's won me over. Marty is poor enough on tv commentary. Dont know why but i prefer him on live radio. Everything sounds more exciting on radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Is Ricey a little unsteady on Rte radio at the moment? May be it’s how he always talks or he’s a bit nervous or maybe it’s nothing and I’m overreacting..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

McStay and Dolan's constant talk of inexperience and experience would drive you demented.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

'and that......is sailing....... wiiiide'

'The teams have been level 12 times'

sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

Marty always has to let you know how good his knowledge of Irish geography is. "Here is ..... from the town of Bray, a beautiful seaside town on the Dargle river in.North East of Bray several miles from Greystones."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I was travelling yesterday evening during the second half of Dublin v Mayo,Marty and Bernard Flynn a very hard listen on radio.Kind to say they were hyper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Conor Mortimer getting a bit of airtime lately on Game On on 2fm and RTE radio this morning. He's not exactly oozing charisma and must have had a sense of humour transplant. Deary me he's very serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Marty always has to let you know how good his knowledge of Irish geography is. "Here is ..... from the town of Bray, a beautiful seaside town on the Dargle river in.North East of Bray several miles from Greystones."

He has the height of knowledge :)

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/gaa-football/4431221/marty-morrissey-rte-box-sunday-game-interview/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Good loser

I was travelling yesterday evening during the second half of Dublin v Mayo,Marty and Bernard Flynn a very hard listen on radio.Kind to say they were hyper.

I think Bernard Flynn is head and shoulders above the competition.

Great analyst and very enthusiastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Good loser wrote: »

I very much enjoy him as an analyst,top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,220 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Good loser wrote: »

I had the earphones in the last day (Dublin v Mayo SF) while watching the match.

The very first fecking kick o the game! :D

Flynn:
    - 'This is a VITAL kick for O'Connor VITAL he gets it!'

----

He is always transparently biased towards the underdog team - kicks very ball in the game, you would swear he was playing in it.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,220 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Is there any sign of Ger Canning being put out to grass yet?
    He has to be the most irritating commentator of the whole lot.

1) He is supposed to be from Cork - what is with the strange put on amateur dramatics accent?

2) Debut = "Day-boo" in his world

3) Opportunity = "Op-ooor-tooon-ity" in his world

I find he really takes away the enjoyment of a game when he is commentating.

He has no sense of timing or when to shut up let it soak in etc.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Seadin

Ger Canning and Marty are terrible. Sick of dessie dolan too in the background.

Advertisement