Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Commentators

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Radio5

Is there any sign of Ger Canning being put out to grass yet?
    He has to be the most irritating commentator of the whole lot.

1) He is supposed to be from Cork - what is with the strange put on amateur dramatics accent?

2) Debut = "Day-boo" in his world

3) Opportunity = "Op-ooor-tooon-ity" in his world

I find he really takes away the enjoyment of a game when he is commentating.

He has no sense of timing or when to shut up let it soak in etc.

Don't forget all the 'consternation'. Must be his favourite word.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Seadin

I thought Sean Walsh is a decent commentator. He did a great job on the 2017 All Ireland hurling final on radio 1. He was very good i thought. He is underrated if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

I like listening to Pauric Lodge. He has a good rapport with any of the co-commentators. Can’t stand listening to Marty, Ger or that guy that says “Failte is cead”. HOWEVER, worst ever last week was John Kenny commentating on a full GAA game - awful!

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Any word on who's commentator for the hurling on rte on Sunday? Please please please let it not be Marty Morrissey. He'll have pre prepared monologues coming out of his ears and something "emotional" for the final whistle...it was tony keady 2 years ago, Dolores o Riordan last year, who'll be the dead person he'll get teary about this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Any word on who's commentator for the hurling on rte on Sunday? Please please please let it not be Marty Morrissey. He'll have pre prepared monologues coming out of his ears and something "emotional" for the final whistle...it was tony keady 2 years ago, Dolores o Riordan last year, who'll be the dead person he'll get teary about this year?

Well when Limerick won he kept saying
    Do you have to.... Do you have to....Do you have to let it Linger?
    Plus Delores was one of his favorite singers

Since Danny Doyle died so recently.

I am sure Marty will throw in (intro) There will be plenty of Whiskey this Sunday for the victors ot this intriguing clash along with the all important Liam McCarthy cup.
    The losers will have to contend with buttermillk and the runners up medal.

(End of game)

come day go day - that was another fantastic all-ireland hurling final and we hope to do it (high pitch) all again on a Sunday next year.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Just heard on Ray D’arcy Radio Show that Lodge & Mullane are commentating.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Hopefully it'll be Darragh Maloney. I don't mind who the co-commentator is then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Well when Limerick won he kept saying
    Do you have to.... Do you have to....Do you have to let it Linger?
    Plus Delores was one of his favorite singers

Since Danny Doyle died so recently.

I am sure Marty will throw in (intro) There will be plenty of Whiskey this Sunday for the victors ot this intriguing clash along with the all important Liam McCarthy cup.
    The losers will have to contend with buttermillk and the runners up medal.

(End of game)

come day go day - that was another fantastic all-ireland hurling final and we hope to do it (high pitch) all again on a Sunday next year.
    And Bottler will surely get a mention for the football final

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

honeybear wrote: »
    Just heard on Ray D’arcy Radio Show that Lodge & Mullane are commentating.

That's on the wireless I presume.I really enjoy Pauric Lodge and have no real issue with the wonderful exuberance of Mullane.

seligehgit wrote: »
    That's on the wireless I presume.I really enjoy Pauric Lodge and have no real issue with the wonderful exuberance of Mullane.

D'ya know who is very good Tommy Walsh from KK he is a gas character.
    Really loves the game and enjoys being involved in it
    I know he does more punditry than commentating.
    But RTE should get him instead of Duignan

https://twitter.com/i/status/914126409903280128

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

seligehgit wrote: »

A good combo I feel. Lodge is fairly bland but isn't annoying at all while Mullane provides the colour/mentalness. A nice balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I love Mullane and Tommy, both very genuine in their passion for the game. Both have very strong accents and loads of enthusiasm which gets mistaken for a lack of insight, but they both are good analysts of the game as well.

For the craic, what I'd love is if Waterford and kk were in an all Ireland, and you just had the two lads commentating, no straight man play calling, just the two of them going ballistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Clare in Exile

Good thread.

As a Clare man I'm sad to say that one of our own let the county down in last year's hurling final - without a doubt Marty Morrissey was shockingly bad towards the end of the match with his contrived attempts at dropping in Cranberries lyrics as the game reached a crescendo. It was quite amateur, lacking any subtlety whatsoever.

I was almost cringing at the end, being somewhat amazed at Marty's lack of self-awareness in that situation. As others have said, he does seem better suited to radio - "Holy Moly!"

Martin Carney is a totally different animal on local radio, if you ever have some time to kill go to YouTube and listen to some of his pieces over the last few years (especially 2017 v Kerry and Dublin).

Anyway, hopefully Marty will produce a better performance this year if he is on duty for the final tomorrow

As mentioned, Lodge and Mullane are great on radio, a tonic to the ear...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

It is being reported that Brolly has finished with RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭champchamp

Or that RTE have finished with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 80sChild

To exclude him from the live show and the evening show is quite the statement and certainly seems a punitive measure. Haven't heard its a permanent break though - has this been reported?

If it is the end of Brolly with RTE he get a great line in at one stage last Sunday.

Peter Keane when interviewed by Claire McNamara post-match -

McNamara:

“Nobody gave you a chance coming up here”

Keane:

“Yerra, I suppose look, the history was on Dublin’s side going for five-in-a-row,
    they have won the last four and they didn’t exactly get them in Lucky Bags.”

Brolly:

“Yerra was his very first word”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

80sChild wrote: »
    To exclude him from the live show and the evening show is quite the statement and certainly seems a punitive measure. Haven't heard its a permanent break though - has this been reported?

They should have axed Whelan as well

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭PatrickSmithUS

KrustyUCC wrote: »

I'd say it's coming.

There's too many opinions and not enough analysis on the RTE coverage.

KrustyUCC wrote: »

At least for Dublin games.

https://www.killarneyadvertiser.ie/opinion-bizarre-brolly-and-whelan-analysis-highlights-need-for-new-kind-of-sunday-game/

He won't get to go to many finals then unfortunately for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Gael85

At least for Dublin games.

https://www.killarneyadvertiser.ie/opinion-bizarre-brolly-and-whelan-analysis-highlights-need-for-new-kind-of-sunday-game/

He won't get to go to many finals then unfortunately for him.

Bit rich from that paper when you see Spillane on TSG for last 20 plus with his bias commentary towards Kerry.:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Not before time. That it's Dubs that are crying about this says it all. Some Dubs even having a protest outside Croke Park according to the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,713 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Should have been cleared out years ago along with a few others.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Not before time. That it's Dubs that are crying about this says it all. Some Dubs even having a protest outside Croke Park according to the radio.

To be honest I could't believe that. I thought it would be the opposite!
    Those crowd sound like Dublin's answer to Kerry's 'Gough out' campaign.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

To be honest I could't believe that. I thought it would be the opposite!
    Those crowd sound like Dublin's answer to Kerry's 'Gough out' campaign.
    Ah Brolly is pretty pro Dublin in fairness. Even more so than Whelan I think. I think some of the Dublin players text him a few times and he became pally with them. Pretty smart from the Dubs, massaged Brollys massive ego.

Ah Brolly is pretty pro Dublin in fairness. Even more so than Whelan I think. I think some of the Dublin players text him a few times and he became pally with them. Pretty smart from the Dubs, massaged Brollys massive ego.

But Brolly used to be anti-Dublin for years he only 'jumped ship' when they started winning.
    Some people must have short memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,713 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

The dubs are currently protesting outside croke park looking for Brolly to be back on RTE....!!! :pac::pac::pac:

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Eamon Dunphy has rowed in behind Brolly. The two pantomime villains.
    And Ger Loughanane seems to think Brolly deserves the kick up the ass.

https://hoganstand.com/Article/Index/303844

The dubs are currently protesting outside croke park looking for Brolly to be back on RTE....!!! :pac::pac::pac:

Embarrassing stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

But Brolly used to be anti-Dublin for years he only 'jumped ship' when they started winning.
    Some people must have short memories.

It’s the Brolly boom - bust cycle. Keep an eye out for his behavior (if) when Dublin start to wane.

Advertisement