Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dun Laoghaire Ironman 70.3 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Munstermunch

Been a while since I checked in 🙂just wondering if anybody has a Strava route for the new reversed bike route? Was looking at it on Dún Laoghaire 70.3 webpage the highest gradient climb seems to be 10% would I be correct in saying that? I’m judging this by the inter active elevation/grade below the course map. Would this be accurate? I’m trying to compare to hilly cycles climbs I have already done on Strava. Welcome any replies Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

Can't help with a Strava file I'm afraid but I'd imagine 10% is an average gradient, Old Long Hill is definitely over 10% in places, Lugala must be as well, they're only short enough ramps though so I wouldn't panic if climbing isn't your idea of fun.

Statler wrote: »
    Can't help with a Strava file I'm afraid but I'd imagine 10% is an average gradient, Old Long Hill is definitely over 10% in places, Lugala must be as well, they're only short enough ramps though so I wouldn't panic if climbing isn't your idea of fun.

Thanks Statler, so only very steep in small sections? Hopefully I’ll make it over them ok😂

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You can download the gpx from the map view and upload it to whatever device you are using on the bike.

You can download the gpx from the map view and upload it to whatever device you are using on the bike.

Thanks for that Racoon Queen, my query was more as to how accurate the gradients along the course were, as the way I was reading it 10% seemed to be the highest level gradient it reached. I’m not familiar with the course and live a good bit away form Wicklow, but will practice away on whatever hills I can find.🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Thanks for that Racoon Queen, my query was more as to how accurate the gradients along the course were, as the way I was reading it 10% seemed to be the highest level gradient it reached. I’m not familiar with the course and live a good bit away form Wicklow, but will practice away on whatever hills I can find.��
    There's definitely stretches higher than that. The Luggala climb has about 200m of 15-20%

When I started cycling properly that was the first bit that I thought "I'm going to have to get off and walk here!

Shedite27 wrote: »
    There's definitely stretches higher than that. The Luggala climb has about 200m of 15-20%

When I started cycling properly that was the first bit that I thought "I'm going to have to get off and walk here!

🙈🙈oh no I’ll
    Defo be getting off and walking those 😫😬

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Did more or less the bike route over the weekend - that final climb from Rockbrook to Glencullen will be a killer for the average punter (including myself), given that it is 65km or so, into the route.
    If it is a windy/wet day, I can see a large amount missing the cut offs.

I doubt they could find a harder 90km loop from DL, if they tried:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Rockbrook to Glencullen, no?

Agreed, its not gonna be a roll into the countryside like the previous bike course.

cjt156 wrote: »
    Rockbrook to Glencullen, no?

Agreed, its not gonna be a roll into the countryside like the previous bike course.

Yep - was mixing my Glens...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Izoard wrote: »
    Yep - was mixing my Glens...

Have to know your Crees from your Cullens...never mind yer Asmole!

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

I signed up for this at the weekend, so need to plan a few reccys to Wicklow to try out the bike route. Are there any suggestions from anyone living nearby as to days and times of day when traffic is lighter on the route?

Also, can someone confirm my maths in that if I have the swim done and I’m on the bike in an hour that I have 4.5 hours to do 90k (ie, an average of 20kph) before the cut-off?

EDit wrote: »
    I signed up for this at the weekend, so need to plan a few reccys to Wicklow to try out the bike route. Are there any suggestions from anyone living nearby as to days and times of day when traffic is lighter on the route?

Also, can someone confirm my maths in that if I have the swim done and I’m on the bike in an hour that I have 4.5 hours to do 90k (ie, an average of 20kph) before the cut-off?

If you have a chance to get out on weekday mornings, that is probably your best bet. Lots of cyclists out at the weekends, that can lead to some frustrated drivers stuck behind groups.

I reckon you have a little more than 4hr 30 - they've added 10 mins for each transition as well. Having said that, I don't see how they can police this at an individual level based on timing.
    The practical situation is that if you are outside the bike cut off, you get to return to T2, but they don't let you start the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

If you have a chance to get out on weekday mornings, that is probably your best bet. Lots of cyclists out at the weekends, that can lead to some frustrated drivers stuck behind groups.

I reckon you have a little more than 4hr 30 - they've added 10 mins for each transition as well. Having said that, I don't see how they can police this at an individual level based on timing.
    The practical situation is that if you are outside the bike cut off, you get to return to T2, but they don't let you start the run.

Cheers for that. Will try to get out during some upcoming weekday holidays...maybe head to Kilternan and do the loop to avoid serious Dublin traffic

EDit wrote: »

Cheers for that. Will try to get out during some upcoming weekday holidays...maybe head to Kilternan and do the loop to avoid serious Dublin traffic
    If you do the Kilternan-Kilternan loop, that is 65km of the bike course and has all the eh, "highlights".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭syntheticjunk

Just covered hilly part of the route this morning. Total 88km in 4hours 30 min including 3 stops to refuel..... Last two hours spent cursing person who created this route. For average cyclist like me it will be challenging. Especially if weather conditions will change to worse.
    Weekday mornings definitely best time to cycle. Very few cyclist, few tourists and mostly local traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 GeraldineN

Hi everyone, I'm doing this as a challenge for myself after just turning 50, I'm doing the training myself and was planning on 'just getting round' approach.  After reading the comments about the horrendous hills, I'm now panicking big style that I'll be able to complete it without being disqualified and getting a DNF :( Yes I can swim for over an hour non-stop, I've just completed my 6th marathon, but I'm newish to cycling and the thought of them thar hills is scarin the b'jaysus outta me!!  Is this doable for a newbie?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭reidman

Of course it is, train and you will be just fine, plenty of support on this forum!

GeraldineN wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I'm doing this as a challenge for myself after just turning 50, I'm doing the training myself and was planning on 'just getting round' approach. After reading the comments about the horrendous hills, I'm now panicking big style that I'll be able to complete it without being disqualified and getting a DNF :( Yes I can swim for over an hour non-stop, I've just completed my 6th marathon, but I'm newish to cycling and the thought of them thar hills is scarin the b'jaysus outta me!! Is this doable for a newbie?

If you are near to the bike course, try to do as much of your biking on it, or hills similar. From a mental perspective, knowing the climbs should be a big help (knowing how long they are, road surface etc..).
    Once you've done the first couple of hilly 60-90km spins, it is not so scary.

thanks for the words of comfort, I hope I can depend on ye all for support :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Not sure you live near Wicklow but even if you can't cycle it try driving it and use some landmarks as markers for yourself - break up the climb(s) into section in your head 25% (at the GO GeraldineN road markings:) ) / 50% etc... Best to cycle it thou, as others say and be careful on the descents; these will be just as important as the hills; you don't want to crash - there will be plenty of hay bails out on the course at the bottom of descents.

Most important part is to enjoy the whole experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭kenn0

Hi all

I am looking for a priority entry into the 2019 IRONMAN Ireland, Cork. If anybody who is racing Dun Laoghaire and not racing in Cork next year could pass it on please.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭dickidy

Not sure you live near Wicklow but even if you can't cycle it try driving it and use some landmarks as markers for yourself - break up the climb(s) into section in your head 25% (at the GO GeraldineN road markings:) ) / 50% etc... Best to cycle it thou, as others say and be careful on the descents; these will be just as important as the hills; you don't want to crash - there will be plenty of hay bails out on the course at the bottom of descents.

Most important part is to enjoy the whole experience!

haha " enjoy it ", you're gas

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭dickidy

if you let me now how to you can use mine

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dong

dickidy wrote: »
    if you let me now how to you can use mine

You should have gotten an email with a link or code. If you still have it i'd love to get it off you. PM me if you ate willing to share.

Or if anyone else has a ironman cork priority entry to pass on please PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭WicklowTiger

dong wrote: »
    You should have gotten an email with a link or code. If you still have it i'd love to get it off you. PM me if you ate willing to share.

Or if anyone else has a ironman cork priority entry to pass on please PM me

According to the email I've received, the link cannot be shared...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I wouldn't sweat too much about priority entry to IM Cork, there isn't exactly a line forming :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Not racing this but. Did most of the bike route today and it is deeply unpleasant. :)
    Would not fancy being on some of those descents / bends with cyclists with poor bike handling skills.

On another note, nice to see the loose chippings that Wicklow County Council threw down and caused havoc with last summer are wearing away leaving the surface probably worse than it was before they started.

Not racing this but. Did most of the bike route today and it is deeply unpleasant. :)
    Would not fancy being on some of those descents / bends with cyclists with poor bike handling skills.

On another note, nice to see the loose chippings that Wicklow County Council threw down and caused havoc with last summer are wearing away leaving the surface probably worse than it was before they started.
    !! Any more words of support!! ??
    :ermm:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

GeraldineN wrote: »
    !! Any more words of support!! ??
    :ermm:

I commute along the course. You will be ok. A little bumpy at times perhaps but not too unsimilar to most Irish routes.

Advertisement