Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Ironman 70.3 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ro55er

EC1000 wrote: »
    Why?

A hilly route (which this definitely is) will require a hell of a lot more effort and energy for a heavier rider who will also have a run to deal with. This route is physiologically more demanding and will cost a lot more than last years. If last years route was going to be a genuine challenge this one will be farther from reach.

Yes they can train, and yes theres a "good" amount of time to train. But, there is only so much that can be done in a given time frame. In short this route will require more time to prepare for. For some this is a bucket list challenge not just another race. A new challenge is great for some but its not good news for all. A shame but again not the real problem with the route.^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

If you can't cycle around Wicklow for a few hours and jog 21km afterwards, you've no business entering a half ironman.

The course isn't the problem. It's the competitors looking for a "bucket list" tick without having to put in the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ro55er

Djoucer wrote: »
    If you can't cycle around Wicklow for a few hours and jog 21km afterwards, you've no business entering a half ironman.

The course isn't the problem. It's the competitors looking for a "bucket list" tick without having to put in the effort.

I know right, They're pathetic :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

These are the cut off times. If someone has concerns about missing these cut off times they have no business entering this race. IF you take the full swim cut off to complete the swim (which is 3:40 per 100 :eek:) the a measly 21kmph will still get you inside the cut off on the bike.

Cut off times:
    Swim: 1 hours 10 minutes, plus a further 10 minutes from the swim cut off to start the bike.

Bike: 5 hours 30 minutes (after you cross the swim start timing mat) plus a further 10 minutes from the bike cut off to start the run.

Run: 8 hours 30 minutes (after you cross the swim start timing mat).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

BTH wrote: »
    These are the cut off times. If someone has concerns about missing these cut off times they have no business entering this race. IF you take the full swim cut off to complete the swim (which is 3:40 per 100 :eek:) the a measly 21kmph will still get you inside the cut off on the bike.

why so elitist ? i think no buisness is takeing it a bit far . suggesting first trainig for an oly distance before attempting an half might be the better idea .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

peter kern wrote: »
    why so elitist ? i think no buisness is takeing it a bit far . suggesting first trainig for an oly distance before attempting an half might be the better idea .

I said they have no business entering THIS race. As a coach, would you advise someone to enter a race they are completely incapable of finishing? By all means come back after a year or two of racing shorter stuff, but anyone who looks at an 8:30 cut off and thinks that's a very tough target shouldn't be touching a middle distance race

If I wanted to be elitist I would tell anyone who cant break 5:30 to stick to sportives and parkruns.

BTH wrote: »
    I said they have no business entering THIS race. As a coach, would you advise someone to enter a race they are completely incapable of finishing? By all means come back after a year or two of racing shorter stuff, but anyone who looks at an 8:30 cut off and thinks that's a very tough target shouldn't be touching a middle distance race

If I wanted to be elitist I would tell anyone who cant break 5:30 to stick to sportives and parkruns.

I was just joking as for some people anything more than telling everybody how fantastic they are is elitist ....

at this stage ironman is much more show than race anyway so i would say its exactly this race that attracts those people you mention and its also those people ironman wants to attract

i already told you what i would do as a coach to encurage them to do olympics and i would to that to pretty much anybody tha cant break 5.30 for a half . at the same time for some only a branded race willl do and chalenge is something you are not supposed to be sure if you can finsih it and they are over 18 and are allowed what they do. and some will train more to get it done next year .
    btw the irish park run record is 14.40 or so and i think i saw sub 14 in uk...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

What is of was the DNS/DNF % of the the last Dublin 70.3? A lot of these entrants may be enough to make this race financially viable. As mentioned a change in route to a hillier route may put off the bucket list tickers and as such make it no longer financially viable. It will certainly be interesting to see how well it's subscribed this year.

Clearly it's not a huge ask to spin the legs around cruise the run for most particularly if you're out to complete not compete. Each entrant is a figure though and I'm guessing they gauge the potential for a full IM against his.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ro55er wrote: »
    My biggest concern is that there are some very fast descents around Tinnehinch and Long hill where the road surface isn't great (Very bumpy and jumpy at speed). On a Sunday plod absolutely no problem but TT bikes and racing cowboys could make these pretty hairy. Very surprised to be honest. If I was to pick the Hilliest 90km in south Dublin/Wicklow this would pretty much be it. I do wonder if whoever made the route ever actually rode it. Obviously popular on strava route planner but for an Ironman race?? Not sure it's wise. Future entries may suffer.

Racing cowboys???

Maybe your friends could do one of the other middle distance races in Ireland. I would say Tri Tyrone middle distance would be achievable for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Racing cowboys???

You know people chasing a time and/or performance as opposed to the medal, story and tattoo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭scott1974

Am I seeing things or did they change the direction of the bike route?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

scott1974 wrote: »
    Am I seeing things or did they change the direction of the bike route?

Looks like it, route change as well, not coming back in via Dalkey anymore, back down via Glencullen now and more or less back in the same way from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭nok2008

Statler wrote: »
    Looks like it, route change as well, not coming back in via Dalkey anymore, back down via Glencullen now and more or less back in the same way from there.

does the new route make it any easier!!!!

nok2008 wrote: »
    does the new route make it any easier!!!!

I think it takes out a very dangerous downhill ( and makes it into a very steep uphill lol
    I dont think easier as iam pretty sure it's within 50 altitude meter of the previous one.
    At the same time this is a course many people ride very similarly once a week in training.

The course should be a great motivator to lose weight... That what really makes the course harder or easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭nok2008

peter kern wrote: »
    I think it takes out a very dangerous downhill ( and makes it into a very steep uphill lol
    I dont think easier as iam pretty sure it's within 50 altitude meter of the previous one.
    At the same time this is a course many people ride very similarly once a week in training.

The course should be a great motivator to lose weight... That what really makes the course harder or easier.

That probably better to take out the dangerous downhill. Can't crash too badly going uphill . Plus not the best decender

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I reckon the sharp right turn descending stocking lane onto rockbrook will be interesting with people unfamiliar with the road coming down at pace.

Hadn't actually really looked at bike route before. Not as bad as I thought when reading peoples comments. Coming out at Glencullen back towards Ballycourous road might be a bit dodgy as very narrow around there but that's towards the end of the bike route..have only ever gone up from there so not sure of it as a down.

There's some nice downhill sections in it now, particularly the section from the top of the drag after Glencree all the way down to the turnoff for Mount Venus road, then the stretch from the top of the short drag after Zipit in Tibraden all the way down through Glencullen to the N11 is a nice long downhill, not particularly steep (apart from the couple of km after Glencullen), but definitely a fast section. Definitely a course that would benefit riding it beforehand. What are people's thoughts re TT vs Road Bike (with aerobars)?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭dickidy

this is my first 70.3 and wondering do i need to get a race licence or one day licence from triathlon ireland.
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭TriFirst

dickidy wrote: »
    this is my first 70.3 and wondering do i need to get a race licence or one day licence from triathlon ireland.
    thanks

Well the one day license will be sufficient whereas the year membership will allow you do multiple races for a little bit more of an outlay. I'd advise doing a couple of races in advance of your first 70.3 to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 endonsmend

Hi All - Anyone know which of the two links on the IM 70.3 DL site is right for the bike course and which direction it goes? Seems to be different in both the pdf and the gps link?

Thanks,
    ES

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭dickidy

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

Anyone know how numbers are shaping up? I see theres €20 off registration to coincide with Paddy's day.

Not doing a long distance event this year so I may be tempted to sign up but I wont be able to make a call until the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭rxchxy

Did anyone manage to catch the Facebook Live with the Race Director last night? Did he say anything of note?

rxchxy wrote: »
    Did anyone manage to catch the Facebook Live with the Race Director last night? Did he say anything of note?

Base2race have a copy of it on their facebook page

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Milk_Tray

have they reversed the bike course?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Milk_Tray wrote: »
    have they reversed the bike course?

I believe a few weeks ago they did alright

Which is the correct bike course on their site?
    http://eu.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/ironman-70.3/dun-laoghaire/athletes/course.aspx#axzz5BWQg7e3m

The 'view' link and the 'download pdf' link give the bike course going in different directions.

Which is the correct bike course on their site?
    http://eu.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/ironman-70.3/dun-laoghaire/athletes/course.aspx#axzz5BWQg7e3m

The 'view' link and the 'download pdf' link give the bike course going in different directions.

The 'view' link is the correct course, takes a left at the top of Ballycorus road at Kilternan and out to Enniskerry, it's a clockwise loop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Milk_Tray

Did anyone attend the meeting on Wednesday? Anything useful discussed

Advertisement