Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Ironman 70.3 2018

Options
  • 27-10-2017 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what date this is going to be. Website is TBD.

26th August would be a possible Sunday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tibulus

On the day of the race this year I seen 12th August written somewhere.

It had gradually been slipping further into August over the past 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Check the tide tables for next August. You can figure it out then based on which day has a high tide a leary morning.

I belive the previously announced date was removed as it clashed with rock and roll half?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Initial committed licence/contract was for 3 years - 2015/16/17, do you reckon it will be on again considering it didn't sell out and the relatively poor feedback from participants? I wouldn't be too sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Tibulus

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Initial committed licence/contract was for 3 years - 2015/16/17, do you reckon it will be on again considering it didn't sell out and the relatively poor feedback from participants? I wouldn't be too sure.

Not sure that the relatively poor feedback is a totally justified comment. Sure its not "the perfect race" (speedbumps at the strawberry beds, post race food, quantity of turns on the bike course) but it was an amazing atmosphere and well organised over the past three years. I would definitely consider it a good race and would be entering in the future should it proceed.

Not aware of many 70.3 races selling out, but I am far from an subject matter expert. IM seem to be ramping up the number of 70.3's they hold each year. From what I see Dublin holds its own:
    Mallorca: 3216
    Zell Am Sea: 2439
    Stafford: 2102
    Cascais: 2046
    Edinburgh: 1573
    Dublin: 1573
    Pula: 1209

These are numbers completed as opposed to numbers entered which may give a more accurate representation of the race popularity.

Didnt someone in the 2017 thread mention that something big was to be announced 2018? Along the lines of a route change?

That announcement never materialised did it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,389 ✭✭✭fletch

Capture.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

fletch wrote: »
    Capture.png

So no change then?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Ste_D

Its IM Dunlaoire no Dublin. Hopefully theyve done away with the split transition. Also, running on the pier/seafront in Dunlaoire would be really nice, and potenitally the cycle could take in some of North Wicklow. All in all this has the potential to be a really nice race.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Herc

Massive changes I'd say with all the race probably going south down to Wicklow and single transition in DL - I'd imagine cycle will be nice and hilly also - the fact Dublin removed from the name suggests going nowhere near the city...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

Or maybe, and this is my cynical head on here, they realise some of the bad press the race has got over the last 2 years and are trying to distance themselves from it with a bit of a re-branding.

Either way I'm happy it's going ahead, it's a good day, good atmosphere and raises the profile of triathlon a bit. Plenty joined our club in the last few years after seeing it and working towards doing it themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Tibulus wrote: »
    Not sure that the relatively poor feedback is a totally justified comment. Sure its not "the perfect race" (speedbumps at the strawberry beds, post race food, quantity of turns on the bike course) but it was an amazing atmosphere and well organised over the past three years. I would definitely consider it a good race and would be entering in the future should it proceed.

Not aware of many 70.3 races selling out, but I am far from an subject matter expert. IM seem to be ramping up the number of 70.3's they hold each year. From what I see Dublin holds its own:
    Mallorca: 3216
    Zell Am Sea: 2439
    Stafford: 2102
    Cascais: 2046
    Edinburgh: 1573
    Dublin: 1573
    Pula: 1209

These are numbers completed as opposed to numbers entered which may give a more accurate representation of the race popularity.

i think as well as the numbers you have to look at costs. holding events in this country seems to cost a lot more than other sites, i remember seeing a break down of costs for holding the same concert in belfast and dublin and the dublin costs were 10x in insurance alone.

it looks like the race is well established, which is good, but numbers alone don't tell everything.

edinburgh did well for a year 1 race...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

joey100 wrote: »
    Or maybe, and this is my cynical head on here, they realise some of the bad press the race has got over the last 2 years and are trying to distance themselves from it with a bit of a re-branding.

usually its the ones that smile at you and when you turn back they put the knife in your back, that are the dangerous ones , not the whinners that complain to let of steam and 2 weeks later sign up again.
    Most people seemed to like the race last year.

but I guess not even ironman belives they can take on the pope ....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

I don't really get the start of your reply Peter, I think it might be about something else. If it is send me a PM and we can discuss it there rather than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭rxchxy

If the bike route is through the Wicklow mountains (or just a more hilly route than previous years) is the cut off time for the bike leg amended? Or is it a standard cut off time for all IM70.3 regardless of route? Planning on doing it this year but if it is particularly hilly I may struggle with cut off times :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

rxchxy wrote: »
    If the bike route is through the Wicklow mountains (or just a more hilly route than previous years) is the cut off time for the bike leg amended? Or is it a standard cut off time for all IM70.3 regardless of route? Planning on doing it this year but if it is particularly hilly I may struggle with cut off times :(

Cut off times are pretty standard. Some races have tighter cut offs for bike and run but I think Dublin uses the standard ones. Don't know of any races that have longer cut offs.

General registration for IRONMAN 70.3 Dún Laoghaire will open on Wednesday 15th November 2017 at 4pm CET and AWA and TriClub athletes will receive priority registration Friday 10th November.

Pronounced Dun Leery, the coastal Irish town is the ideal race destination for athletes and their families offering a host of sights and attractions. Located on the edge of the Irish Sea and only 14km from Dublin City Centre, Dún Laoghaire is the perfect seaside escape and ideal for a triathlon.

IRONMAN 70.3 Dún Laoghaire takes the place of IRONMAN 70.3 Dublin on the calendar and if Dún Laoghaire already sounds familiar to you, it might be because it was the location of the IRONMAN 70.3 Dublin athlete village and swim course. However, IRONMAN 70.3 Dún Laoghaire will introduce all-new bike and run courses providing an exciting new race experience as well as a single transition area improving athlete logistics.

The race features a 1.2 mile swim from Sandycove in the clear waters of the Irish Sea in Dublin Bay before taking athletes on a spectacular 56 mile bike course. The course takes athletes past some of the most scenic areas in the region including through County Wicklow, home to the Wicklow Mountains National Park featuring glacial lakes, rivers and abundant in natural beauty. Athletes will then take to the streets of the charming seaside town for the 13.1 mile run taking in stunning coastal views before finishing on the famous East Pier with Dún Laoghaire Harbour and Dublin Bay as the backdrop.

Dún Laoghaire has a rich maritime and literary history, it is known as an idyllic sailing location where dolphins and seals are often spotted in the clear water and is famous for its fresh seafood and dramatic sunsets. This is one race destination to add to your list!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

I received the above in an email and from looking at that and the branding in the photos, I'd be pretty sure the name change is nothing more than Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown promoting Dun Laoghaire ahead of Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭paulie gaultieri

So ironman 70.3 dublin becomes ironman 70.3 'dun leery'.....anyone have any insight into the cycle route in wicklow?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

So ironman 70.3 dublin becomes ironman 70.3 'dun leery'.....anyone have any insight into the cycle route in wicklow?

Last I heard was it's up to the Featherbeds and back. T2 in Dun Laoghaire with run course of laps to blackrock and back.

I guess that they need to go over the N11 without interupting traffic and M50 (obviously) so some route incorporating that.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

Start of the end of IM in Dublin. Only small attraction is, it’s in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Seanie_H

rooneyjm wrote: »
    Start of the end of IM in Dublin. Only small attraction is, it’s in Dublin.

Full distance will go ahead in 2019

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭reidman

It's a good event, I did all three in Dublin and other than logistical mess after the race in 2016 it has been a great event - the swim course is beautiful, the bike course needs a change so where better than Wicklow, and the run is well, the run. I wouldn't worry about bike cut offs if you do your training.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

Seanie_H wrote: »
    Full distance will go ahead in 2019

Terrible news

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Terrible news

Explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Terrible news

Why is it terrible news?

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I've moved some posts from the other thread to here. No need for two active threads, especially for a race that's 9 months away.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭rxchxy

Grassey wrote: »
    Well the route is up... Heading for the hills folks!

I live up that way, some tough climbs ahead :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Grassey wrote: »

Anyone ever descended Lough Tay on a TT bike? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭jnk883

Wow 1371 metres. That will put off a lot of people who are not strong on the bike, I'll be rolling backwards. Its up there with the elevation of hardman half. Certainly will be a challenge. But where is the fun it making it easy :-)

Advertisement