Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiatus Hernia ?

Options
  • 25-07-2014 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭

Hi all. I've just been told I have a Hiatus Hernia. I was in having a gastroscopy to check something else.

When I was leaving said the nurse I had a hiatal hernia and started going on about acid and gave me a prescription for anti-acid tablets. I had been sedated for the procedure so I was a bit goofed at the time.

I used to suffer from acid ( 8-10 ) years ago but I sorted my diet so I know I don't suffer from it now. Now my wife is starting to worry that it could be caused by lifting weights.When I told the nurse I lifted weights as a pastime she didn't seem too bothered.

Does anyone here have experience of a HH and should I ease up on lifting until I have my next checkup. Really confused here as I don't seem to have any symptoms and obviously I don't fancy having to stop lifting.

Thanks

Obviously i'm not looking for medical advice just peoples experiences

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

I had an inguinal hernia and was told to stop all exercise except for cycling immediately by my Rehab PTI and Surgeon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Just googled inguinal hernia. Holy sh*t. No wonder they advised you to stop. That looks terrible !

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

When I started Circuit Training with my brother I told him I have a Hiatus Hernia. He told me to go to the doctors to see what I could and couldn't do. The GP said the exercises would actually help. Lifting heavy weights could be different though. If you have a Personal Trainer he should have gotten your medical details to see if the exercises would do more harm than good.

woodturner wrote: »
    When I started Circuit Training with my brother I told him I have a Hiatus Hernia. He told me to go to the doctors to see what I could and couldn't do. The GP said the exercises would actually help. Lifting heavy weights could be different though. If you have a Personal Trainer he should have gotten your medical details to see if the exercises would do more harm than good.

Thanks woodturner. I'm actually going to contact my doctor on Monday and get more info.
    I think I may have to give up on my dreams of a thousand kg total :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Definitely go to a doctor, but I doubt you have anything to worry about. I was diagnosed with a hiatus hernia in 2007. No doctor ever told me to avoid exercise. In fact, it would be counter productive to so so. The best things you can do for a hiatus hernia are reducin weight and stress.

I was prescribed Nexium, not actually an antacid, it's a proton inhibitor which blocks the production of acid. Every 2-3 months I take it for a week and it settles everything down. I start taking it when I have a lot of reflux. Again stress is a big player here.

The above may well have no bearing on your own situation, but it's my personal experience that a hiatus hernia is very managable.

I don't know what your sausage intake is like, but they should be the firs thing to I. Those delicious little bastards.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

Thanks Brian. I guess that was why I was so confused. As I don't have any reflux etc. Although maybe thats because the good aol sausages are gone and my stress levels are good.

Funnily enough after reading online, I have actually been prescribed a version of Nexium. I was worried about this as I thought taking it would affect my stomach acid production long term and I would end up on a tablet for life ( even though I don't feel any symptoms).

Feeling better to hear that exercise is a good thing.

Thanks guys

I was advised by a 3 different doctors that taking Nexium every day and long term would end in dependence. Ask your own doctor, but I'd be surprised if he doesn't tell you to only take it as needed.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭woodturner

I'd be weary of any of those. I've been on Losec, Nexium, Romep, Emezrepole (sp?). I was taking the Romep and Nexium for quite a while. The side effects included inflammation of the throat which I suffered from a lot. Doctors put it down to gastric acid coming up my oesophagus but since I stopping taking it it hasn't been nearly as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Hi folks sorry to raise an old thread. Did anyone ever recover from hiatal hernia or is it miserable forever?

bilbot79 wrote: »
    Hi folks sorry to raise an old thread. Did anyone ever recover from hiatal hernia or is it miserable forever?

God, I'd totally forgotten that I even have a Hiatus Hernia ! As I said it was discovered by chance and at the time I was worried. No major changes to my diet just enjoy everything in moderation. Sleeping on my left side helped at night as this helps to stop things leaving the stomach and entering my oesophagus .

Like I say I'd forgotten this thread and the fact that I even have a hernia, so it's not all doom and gloom once you take your doctors advise on diet etc.

Best of luck!

• Advertisement

bilbot79 wrote: »

I don't think you can recover from it. It's a mechanical issue. Very manageable though

they/them/theirs

Advertisement