Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Surprise, surprise, Jaguar I pace electric won’t do the range.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    redcup342 wrote: »
    I actually prefer the i-Pace cockpit wise to the Tesla, the Tesla employs this Touchscreen solution for everything. While that's a nice idea, in practise I much prefer using buttons to control the heating or radio controls.

Ergonomically it's much easier, Tesla at times is nearly as bad as using your phone when driving since you need to look at what you are doing.

A huge touch screen to control everything is going backwards

Really Tesla should have pushed all out and gone AI....all they had to do was license Alexa or Watson or any of the other AI's and install into car. Then just tell the car what to do

That is the future. Not a big obnoxious screen, then again it is an american company.....the american will love that
    Doesn't work in a car. .... I just had a flash back to me pissing myself laughing while my mate was repeatedly Screaming "ALEXA TURN OFF" in the shower with some sort of death metal blaring on the speakers 

All he did was ask what time it was. 
    I would not like to have a voice controlled vehicle anytime soon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Doesn't work in a car. .... I just had a flash back to me pissing myself laughing while my mate was repeatedly Screaming "ALEXA TURN OFF" in the shower with some sort of death metal blaring on the speakers 

All it’s doing is turning on off the climate control etc....hardly life threatening

If my 6 and 4 year old can use Alexa no idea why grown people can’t

Even the 2 year old knows what to say but just can’t get the word Alexa right yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

Voice control does not work all the time, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwPtcqcqz00

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Bigus wrote: »
    but it echoes what I heard about irish Audi e-tron buyers handing back and demanding refunds for 90 plus kWh SUVs that can barely do over 100 km . In the etrons case they are less than half as efficient as a model X.

Horsesh*t

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/audi-etron-is-full-of-sparkle-but-lacks-some-spark-behind-the-wheel-1.3951298

And to quote the author who sits on world car of the year jury and has driven more cars this year than most of us have eaten hot dinners:-
    In fairness, during our time in the car the most impressive feat was the fact it lived up to its promised range, even on motorway runs. You can trust the on-board computer to predict your remaining range, something that can’t be said for all electric cars at present.

But sure dont let the truth get in the way of a good story now...

RedorDead wrote: »
    Horsesh*t

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/audi-etron-is-full-of-sparkle-but-lacks-some-spark-behind-the-wheel-1.3951298

And to quote the author who sits on world car of the year jury and has driven more cars this year than most of us have eaten hot dinners:-

So are we saying that the lad down the pub might be telling a few tall ones?

I am shocked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

RedorDead wrote: »
    Horsesh*t

I don’t doubt Mr mc Aleers credentials, but they were press cars,
    and we all know press cars have never been manipulated, have they ?

Fire away and trust a company to tell the truth on range, that has had criminal charges filed against it on at least 2 continents for telling lies and interfering with real world testing data.
    And by the way the man who told story the doesn’t actually go to pubs, but does work in the industry front line.

Bigus wrote: »
    I don’t doubt Mr mc Aleers credentials, but they were press cars,
    and we all know press cars have never been manipulated, have they ?

Fire away and trust a company to tell the truth on range, that has had criminal charges filed against it on at least 2 continents for telling lies and interfering with real world testing data.
    And by the way the man who told story the doesn’t actually go to pubs, but does work in the industry front line.

Of course he does.....

Every website/media outlet/etc has it in for Audi/VW at the moment. They got too cocky so while down kick them. If a sniff of this was true it would be splashed all over the papers and internet

The original post was about Jaguar but you came up with some preposterous story about Audi and then instead of saying it was wrong have doubled down on it......

If Audi only had electric then maybe they would push the e-Tron, but they have a lovely Q5 and Q7 with bigger margins sitting in the same sales room.....thats the biggest issue with the story, they have alternatives.....I know this is a fact because I talked to actual real customer that have gone to Audi...

The VW/Audi is the devil is getting a bit boring now, its been done to death at this stage, mostly promoted by Tesla and its click bait sites....maybe its time to stopmaking stories up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

If Audi only had electric then maybe they would push the e-Tron, but they have a lovely Q5 and Q7 with bigger margins sitting in the same sales room.....thats the biggest issue with the story, they have alternatives.....I know this is a fact because I talked to actual real customer that have gone to Audi...

???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Joseph SEE

Of course he does.....

Every website/media outlet/etc has it in for Audi/VW at the moment. They got too cocky so while down kick them. If a sniff of this was true it would be splashed all over the papers and internet

The original post was about Jaguar but you came up with some preposterous story about Audi and then instead of saying it was wrong have doubled down on it......

The VW/Audi is the devil is getting a bit boring now, its been done to death at this stage, mostly promoted by Tesla and its click bait sites....maybe its time to stopmaking stories up

I don't think the margin on EVs is the real issue for the legacy car makers. I think the average margin is single digit figures in the industry for fossil cars.

The real issue is servicing. That's where auto manufacturers make their money. There's not much servicing on EVs.

Long term, when self driving EV cars become a staple, manufacturers will have good opportunities to cut out dealers and have much healthier margins.

I actually prefer the i-Pace cockpit wise to the Tesla, the Tesla employs this Touchscreen solution for everything. While that's a nice idea, in practise I much prefer using buttons to control the heating or radio controls.

Ergonomically it's much easier, Tesla at times is nearly as bad as using your phone when driving since you need to look at what you are doing.

A huge touch screen to control everything is going backwards

Really Tesla should have pushed all out and gone AI....all they had to do was license Alexa or Watson or any of the other AI's and install into car. Then just tell the car what to do

That is the future. Not a big obnoxious screen, then again it is an american company.....the american will love that

All it’s doing is turning on off the climate control etc....hardly life threatening

If my 6 and 4 year old can use Alexa no idea why grown people can’t

Even the 2 year old knows what to say but just can’t get the word Alexa right yet
    Nope, I still want physical controls, Voice activation and Touchscreens I don't want any part of when using controls in a car. 
    That's the one thing that lets Tesla down IMO, Jaguar has about the best setup. 
    BMW have the iDrive system which you can also use without long periods of looking at a screen, don't understand why it's missing Carplay though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

BMW have the iDrive system which you can also use without long periods of looking at a screen, don't understand why it's missing Carplay though.

Some models do, the more recent 94ah and all the 120ah I think.

DrPhilG wrote: »

Some models do, the more recent 94ah and all the 120ah I think.
    Not as standard anyways, I had the 120 ah i3 (Registered March 2019) yesterday and no Carplay. 
    I think it must be an optional extra, shame really when a ford fiesta will have it these days but a 38000 euro i3 doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭JohnC.

BMW are chancers when it comes to CarPlay. You have to pay for it. They’re even starting to charge an annual subscription (€110) for it even though it poses no ongoing cost for them.

JohnC. wrote: »
    BMW are chancers when it comes to CarPlay. You have to pay for it. They’re even starting to charge an annual subscription (€110) for it even though it poses no ongoing cost for them.

All of this stuff will start to annual subscription

The cars will be just the hardware like a PC. The software will be the money maker

VW already do it with Carnet, after the 3 years it is 99 euro per year to keep. With the new ID it will be a base model and then you can download extras. All the manufacturers will be going that way, margin on software is a lot better than hardware

unkel wrote: »
    At top speed on the Autobahn maybe, but in Ireland having a range of just above 100km? I find that very hard to believe. That's 90kWh / 100km

A very aerodynamic and efficient EV can do maybe 15-20kWh/100km at 120km/h (Ioniq, Tesla Model 3), a not so aerodynamic efficient one maybe 30kWh/100km (Leaf). A turd (see what I did there? :p) maybe 40-45kWh/100km

But not 90kWh/100km. I can't see that being possible at all. Just looked at Audi.ie and they claim the combined efficiency is 26kWh/100km. Maybe some owners took that a bit too literal and reckoned the car with 90kWh could easily do over 300km on motorways. But that, it can't. Maybe that disappointed them. I can not believe the 100km claim though...

So I took an ETron at the weekend, I don't see any way you could drain the battery in 100KM.

Here's me charging at a 175kw Fastned rapid just before crossing into Germany :)
    488177.jpg

I drove 250 KM and still had 40 KM of range left at my destination, that was with around 40 km of pushing around 160-170 KM/H

On the way back I floored it all the way from the Dutch Border to Dusseldorf sitting at 200km/h (basically maxed out) and it was still only consuming around 42kw/100km

Charging wise, it does indeed manage to stay at around 140/150kw all the way up to 85ish%

Very nice car ! I would definitely prefer it over the i-Pace :)
    Although the Camera Wing mirrors take a bit of getting used to they are very comfortable to use after a while (still caught myself glancing at Wing Mirrors which weren't there)

I don't get why people are surprised over the consumption, it is after all a big heavy luxury SUV.

I dunno, maybe you could manage to drain it on a track in 100km, on Autobahn it simply is not possible.

Also the Etron isn't limited to 180km/h like the i-Pace, which is nice :)

Advertisement