Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Surprise, surprise, Jaguar I pace electric won’t do the range.

Options
  • 09-07-2019 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭

Ok small pinch of salt as this Is from a Tesla fan boy site about an electric Jaguar ,but it echoes what I heard about irish Audi e-tron buyers handing back and demanding refunds for 90 plus kWh SUVs that can barely do over 100 km . In the etrons case they are less than half as efficient as a model X.

Details below of how the Jaguar can’ t do 200 miles.

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-rival-jaguar-ipace-ownership-experience-buyers-remorse/

Also ignorance within the Jaguar network Re electric cars

“In a conversation with Teslarati, Shah stated that amidst his vehicle’s issues, it became very evident that Jaguar dealers were simply unprepared to handle an electric car like the I-PACE. They might have a network of dealers across the country, but with very little staff who actually know electric cars inside out, I-PACE owners could end up being left in limbo when issues arise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Old diesel

While the Audi etron along with the Jag are woefully inefficient.

I suspect that there is no way an eTron will struggle to do 100 kms under any sort of normal driving scenario.

100 kms is 62 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

It is not that clear what real range is. Maybe Jag has poor GOM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Old diesel wrote: »
    While the Audi etron along with the Jag are woefully inefficient.

I suspect that there is no way an eTron will struggle to do 100 kms under any sort of normal driving scenario.

100 kms is 62 miles

Have seen them struggle to get 200km on motorway runs, they are a pig on juice, taking like 40kWh+ at regular 120km/h+ speeds you'd expect a €100,000 Audi to be designed for

Suprised to here people returning them though, they must have known it's just a run about about for the wealthy doing school runs before buying, a diesel motorway monster Q5/Q7 replacement it ain't

The unhappy owners should have got the Q5 pluggin hybrid or a Tesla ( X is ugly though, don't blame for not buying )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Bigus wrote: »
    ...but it echoes what I heard about irish Audi e-tron buyers handing back and demanding refunds for 90 plus kWh SUVs that can barely do over 100 km.

I know you're only reporting what you've heard people claim, but I don't find it credible, and I'm no fan of Audis. Have you any source?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

fricatus wrote: »
    I know you're only reporting what you've heard people claim, but I don't find it credible, and I'm no fan of Audis. Have you any source?

Yes , but I don’t want to be responsible for getting them fired.

• Advertisement

Yes , but I don’t want to be responsible for getting them fired.

I'd be furious myself too

Paying €100,000 for a 2.5tonne 400bhp monster Audi and it can't even manage 2 hours at motorway speed

Did they get refunds or replacements from Audi?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The US EPA test claims 234 miles for the i-Pace, and these are usually achievable in the real world (if not slightly pessimistic) - it's disappointing if it's not, in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,027 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The Jag's efficiency issues have been reported on for a while, if you look for them.

https://www.google.com/search?q=i-pace+range+test&oq=i-pace+range+test

e.g.

Jaguar Responds To Criticism About I-PACE Efficiency
    https://cleantechnica.com/2018/11/05/jaguar-responds-to-criticism-about-i-pace-efficiency/

Tesla Model X vs. Jaguar I-PACE — It’s All About Efficiency
    https://cleantechnica.com/2018/10/31/tesla-model-x-vs-jaguar-i-pace-its-all-about-efficiency/

and even Autocar, who are ridiculously biased in favour of any lump of crap that comes out of JLR, cannot spin this result....

Jaguar I-Pace test: does driving style make a big difference to electric range?
    https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/features/jaguar-i-pace-test-does-driving-style-make-big-difference-electric-range

• Registered Users Posts: 65,063 ✭✭✭✭unkel

it echoes what I heard about irish Audi e-tron buyers handing back and demanding refunds for 90 plus kWh SUVs that can barely do over 100 km .

At top speed on the Autobahn maybe, but in Ireland having a range of just above 100km? I find that very hard to believe. That's 90kWh / 100km

A very aerodynamic and efficient EV can do maybe 15-20kWh/100km at 120km/h (Ioniq, Tesla Model 3), a not so aerodynamic efficient one maybe 30kWh/100km (Leaf). A turd (see what I did there? :p) maybe 40-45kWh/100km

But not 90kWh/100km. I can't see that being possible at all. Just looked at Audi.ie and they claim the combined efficiency is 26kWh/100km. Maybe some owners took that a bit too literal and reckoned the car with 90kWh could easily do over 300km on motorways. But that, it can't. Maybe that disappointed them. I can not believe the 100km claim though...

unkel wrote: »
    At top speed on the Autobahn maybe, but in Ireland having a range of just above 100km? I find that very hard to believe. That's 90kWh / 100km

A very aerodynamic and efficient EV can do maybe 15-20kWh/100km at 120km/h (Ioniq, Tesla Model 3), a not so aerodynamic efficient one maybe 30kWh/100km (Leaf). A turd (see what I did there? :p) maybe 40-45kWh/100km

But not 90kWh/100km. I can't see that being possible at all. Just looked at Audi.ie and they claim the combined efficiency is 26kWh/100km. Maybe some owners took that a bit too literal and reckoned the car with 90kWh could easily do over 300km on motorways. But that, it can't. Maybe that disappointed them. I can not believe the 100km claim though...

Accelerate hard all day and it will do less than 100km no prob

Its only got 83kWh useable too

Ever see big Audi's on the motorways, they do nothing but accelerate hard and brake hard, all the way from Dublin to Cork

If its taking 40kWh at 130/140 with smooth driving, imagine the consumption if you drove it proper hard

I got 7mpg out of my old MPS before with spirited driving on the ring of kerry, normally it would do 30mpg

Same as my diesel, 50mpg regular, 18mpg hard driving

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Less then 100km for the E-tron is basically impossible.
    The car would be recalled across-the-board.
    It could only be explained if some individual cars were faulty.

JPA wrote: »
    Less then 100km for the E-tron is basically impossible.
    The car would be recalled across-the-board.
    It could only be explained if some individual cars were faulty.

How is it impossible?

The car has 300kW of power and has stored energy of 83kWh

It can do less than 100km easy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭jusmeig

Mike9832 wrote: »
    How is it impossible?

The car has 300kW of power and has stored energy of 83kWh

It can do less than 100km easy

Not impossible, just highly unlikely unless you set out to drive like a complete idiot/maniac. Tesla Bjorn got 330km in winter, snow and ice etc

https://youtu.be/ucPJy0JnNLo

If the car is only getting 100km without bring driven like it's stolen, it's broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

The figure quoted was “barely over 100 km “ that could mean anything from 120 km to 180km the way people exaggerate. However I have it on good authority that etrons here are not doing the range expected by wealthy buyers, who are used to getting their way.

The type of people who buy these yokes can sometimes be quite ignorant when it comes to efficiency,(among other things), they’ll drive flat out fully loaded with air con set to full lo , brake hard, accelerate hard and moan when the tank doesn’t get the range.

On a similar note, I personally know another 2017 P100 Tesla Model S owner who thinks his range is crap from Dublin to Waterford (one way)he drives it that hard, instead of slowing down a bit he says always needs to recharge to get back home , and is considering going back to a V8.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

The figure quoted was “barely over 100 km “ that could mean anything from 120 km to 180km the way people exaggerate. However I have it on good authority that etrons here are not doing the range expected by wealthy buyers, who are used to getting their way............

Its just another case of Vorsprung durch cheating

• Registered Users Posts: 65,063 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Dublin to Waterford (one way)he drives it that hard, instead of slowing down a bit he says always needs to recharge to get back home , and is considering going back to a V8.

Dublin city to Waterford city is 175km one way. Lots of nice stretches where you can do well above the speed limit. So, no, drive it hard and the Tesla with the longest range of them all, can't do 350km of mostly above the limit.

Achilles heel of EVs is that they don't carry much energy on board compared to a regular ICE car. This is even the case for the Model S 100, the EV with the largest battery that you can get

Just looked it up and the current model does have 610km WLTP range. Maybe he has an older car AND he drives like a maniac way over the speed limit :p

And of course there are only a few superchargers in Ireland at present. Your man Nyland did 2700km in 24 hours in a Model 3 in Germany driving obviously well over the (Irish) speed limit at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Ever see big Audi's on the motorways, they do nothing but accelerate hard and brake hard, all the way from Dublin to Cork

Ha! I'd actually agree. Q7's and BMW X5's. Seems to be a constant willy swinging exercise, tho they're not alone.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I never understand, the yo-yo approach to driving that comes with drivers of premium German brands.
    Do they just like to hear the engine tone when accelerating?

I'm more of a lock in the cruise and chillout driver when on motorways.

liamog wrote: »
    I never understand, the yo-yo approach to driving that comes with drivers of premium German brands.
    Do they just like to hear the engine tone when accelerating?
    It's a consequence of significantly exceeding the speed limit on a road with other traffic on it that isn't prepared to give way to faster moving cars.

So they're flying along at their chosen speed, say 140kph in lane 3, cars are pulling out from lane 2 at 120kph, on go the brakes, car in front pulls in, on goes the throttle back to 140kph.

If anything, EVs are going to make this worse, because the regen braking will make it seem like you can yoyo efficiently, and to some extent that's true, e.g. I have read that the regen cycle (speed->battery->speed) is about 70% efficient.

Do EVs have a "tailgate mode" on the adaptive cruise control? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Don't forget that these things can have a draggin' bar fitted. So Nigel driving his E tron pulling the 2 racehorses, at full pelt, would probably be shocked by the consumption figures, and not have a bulls notion why it's so high. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Lumen wrote: »
    Do EVs have a "tailgate mode" on the adaptive cruise control? :D

I bet the e-Tron does anyway! It will keep you a constant 2 metres from the bumper of the car in front, so that you can always get the phone number of the dealership on the numberplate surround!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭ei9go

M9 is very hard on power usage due to very severe level changes. Worse Southbound. You seem to going uphill all the time towards Kilkenny. Passed many a Leaf crawling on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The article is about a Jag but for some reason this thread seems to be about Audi

Do people realize that Audi and Jaguar are two different companies?

Who exactly has demanded money back for an e-Tron? in Ireland?

That would be like saying that people are handing back Q7 because they don't hit the 8.4ltr/100km.

I do find it strange that all these people seem to flock to Tesla websites, not the mainstream car websites.....

"releasing premium electric cars is one thing, but having a well-trained staff that knows the ins and outs of EVs and their technologies is another. Hopefully, carmakers such as Jaguar could improve in this metric, and other companies dipping their toes in the EV market like Mercedes-Benz, Audi, and Porsche, would adequately prepare their employees and dealers for the upcoming widespread adoption of electric transportation" :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

No mention of Tesla build quality? :confused:

The figure quoted was “barely over 100 km “ that could mean anything from 120 km to 180km the way people exaggerate. However I have it on good authority that etrons here are not doing the range expected by wealthy buyers, who are used to getting their way.

The type of people who buy these yokes can sometimes be quite ignorant when it comes to efficiency,(among other things), they’ll drive flat out fully loaded with air con set to full lo , brake hard, accelerate hard and moan when the tank doesn’t get the range.

I know a number of people who have gone to Audi about the eTron to buy. The dealers are very up front with range etc and very informative to the buyers. I was talking to one guy, he was buying and had made up his mind, they more or less sat down for 30 mins and went over his driving etc, in the end due to the lack of fast charging in his area and no confirmed Ionity the recommendation was to leave for the min.

In the end Audi customers can stay for life with a dealer, selling an eTron and pi**ing them off is not in the best interest of the dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Not a chance that the Audi does less than or even close to 100km.

I drive the sh*t out of my i3, including (allegedly) some less than legal speeds on a recent Donegal to Cork run, and I accelerate full pelt all the time. Lowest I've ever got out of that 33kWh battery was about 130km.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    No mention of Tesla build quality? :confused:

Who is the tallest dwarf?

According to What Car, Tesla S is the least reliable EV in the UK, and the Jaguar F Pace tops the list of Consumer Reports' list of least reliable vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

Range for me in the i-Pace is 290 km, don't see how they could even claim that figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I don't think the iPace looks that great either... looks like a Mazda (not necessarily a bad thing), but it's nothing special on the looks front if the guy in the article thinks that a Tesla looks conservative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

I don't think the iPace looks that great either... looks like a Mazda (not necessarily a bad thing), but it's nothing special on the looks front if the guy in the article thinks that a Tesla looks conservative.
    I actually prefer the i-Pace cockpit wise to the Tesla, the Tesla employs this Touchscreen solution for everything. While that's a nice idea, in practise I much prefer using buttons to control the heating or radio controls. 

Ergonomically it's much easier, Tesla at times is nearly as bad as using your phone when driving since you need to look at what you are doing.

• Advertisement

redcup342 wrote: »
    I actually prefer the i-Pace cockpit wise to the Tesla, the Tesla employs this Touchscreen solution for everything. While that's a nice idea, in practise I much prefer using buttons to control the heating or radio controls.

Ergonomically it's much easier, Tesla at times is nearly as bad as using your phone when driving since you need to look at what you are doing.

A huge touch screen to control everything is going backwards

Really Tesla should have pushed all out and gone AI....all they had to do was license Alexa or Watson or any of the other AI's and install into car. Then just tell the car what to do

That is the future. Not a big obnoxious screen, then again it is an american company.....the american will love that

Advertisement