Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Sarri_ball wrote: »
    First commute. 17km. Windy as hell. Baptism of fire for someone who's never cycled before! Very enjoyable all round and a great way to start the day.

Cars all good too except for one woman in an SUV who was inches from clipping me. :mad:

Well if it's against you on the way in, you'll sail home.

17km is a grand healthy cycle each way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Sarri_ball

I probably won’t cycle both ways the same day, at least for now! Wouldn’t be fit enough for that at the moment. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

I probably won’t cycle both ways the same day, at least for now! Wouldn’t be fit enough for that at the moment. :(

You'd be surprised how quickly you'll gather up the fitness. Stick with it and pretty soon you won't want to travel any other way to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

The trick is to keep it in a gear that feels too easy, took me an embarrassingly long time to figure that out..

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Fabulous day out there, 60km.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

The trick is to keep it in a gear that feels too easy, took me an embarrassingly long time to figure that out..

I think most of us made that mistake. An easy gear will build cardio faster. You will be out of breath a lot at first(just ease off for a min or two when this happens) but you will notice much better progress over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

First commute. 17km. Windy as hell. Baptism of fire for someone who's never cycled before! Very enjoyable all round and a great way to start the day.

Cars all good too except for one woman in an SUV who was inches from clipping me. :mad:

Give it a week and you'll have ordered a GoPro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Very windy today - flew out to NCD from city centre, broke 11 PRs on Strava, av going north 31.8km/h, BUT coming back south - av speed ~20km/h

Overall 88km in 3:20 @ av 26.4km/h, gorgeous weather, wind aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 arse_jackeen

Got doored on a "city bike" this morning in Chicago. Guy opened the door of an Uber and sent me flying. Thankfully only road rash on leg and cut / sprained finger.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Took today off and went into Dublin with the wife, headed off out through city centre and up Killakee over to feather beds and onto Powerscourt waterfall. The wind was manic on the feather beds, 50-60mph in gusts.

Home via Enniskerry and town again, a very pleasant 72.9km @21kmph

https://strava.app.link/FBjM4CXoxY

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Had to take the new Canyon out for the maiden voyage this evening, 30km @ 29.2km/h average. Wind didn't know what way it was blowing at all, but still really happy with that effort. New bike is pure bliss to ride, even into a horrible wind!

Very nice, what are the mavic wheels like in crosswinds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

I actually found them to be fine. Not much different from the Aksiums on my Vitus. Definitely noticed the improved aerodynamics into the headwind, pushing into the wind felt less of an effort but still an effort (if you get me), the fact the bike only weighs 7kg might be a factor too! Bike fit on thursday so will be all sorted then. Looking forward to taking it out on a nice day for a longer spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Another fantastic day out there. Less windy than yesterday, 71km. Several laps of the Phoenix Park.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Between cycling to work and then after work headed off to see my mam in Clontarf and back home, I did about 60 km yesterday (~28km/h). Took it easy enough - it was sunny but windy.

Two things: first time cycling through Dublin city during rush hour and, Christ, it was poor. Not the busses or cars mind. It was the other cyclists. People on obviously slower bkes moving in front of me at the lights. I struggle to pass the crowd only for them to repeat the process at the next lights.

The other thing was on my way home (cycling from Clontarf to Leixlip). Got to the red lights at Newcomen Bridge in Nth Strand and moved towards the front of the left lane (taxi van behind me). Trying to stay upright on the bike whilst waiting for the red to change. Not sure what I did but before I knew it it, I was tilting towards my right. Went to get uncouple my right foot to catch myself and the feckin thing didn't come loose. Quickly got my right hand out to catch my fall and had the quick thinking to keep the frame of the bike up from the ground.
    Embarrasing and my right achilles (which I'm nursing from a running injury) is somehow all scraped. Thankfully and more importantly, the bike still has no scratches.
    First time that's happened in the six months or so of owning the bike (Orbea Orca).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Out late this evening for a short spin with my Wahoo & Strava givong totally different speeds for the same spin.

Strava 31.8 avg
    Wahoo 32.2 avg

Training Peaks takes reading from the headunit but I can't explain the variance between the other two, any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Schull, Skibereen, Baltimore, then to Castletownshend on some pretty poor back roads. Beautiful scenery, windy, hilly, hard work! About 60km I think, 2hrs 45 mins or so. Tired now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Sarri_ball

Cycled home yesterday evening. 17.8km. Thanks kind stranger who slowed down to ask if I was OK - I was adjusting my laces as they were catching in the chain!

Made it much better time as it wasn’t as windy. Getting used to the gears now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

dahat wrote: »
    Out late this evening for a short spin with my Wahoo & Strava givong totally different speeds for the same spin.

Strava 31.8 avg
    Wahoo 32.2 avg
    Was Strava getting it's data from the wahoo, it was it recording separately? I guess there are slight variations in accuracy but on top of that Strava might be applying a smoothing algorithm to the data if it's 'jumpy'. Your discrepancy is about 1% - not a lot, but noticeable for something which should be more accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yep, using the same data they always end up with different results. Stravas calculations are straight wrong for Max speed so I'd take the Wahoo as gospel as all analysis shows them to be pretty spot on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Bloody hell, what's going on there? When I try to fix my post it just duplicates what I'm trying to edit.

Edit: on mobile site and I think it's glitchy with edited posts?

Was Strava getting it's data from the wahoo, it was it recording separately? I guess there are slight variations in accuracy but on top of that Strava might be applying a smoothing algorithm to the data if it's 'jumpy'. Your discrepancy is about 1% - not a lot, but noticeable for something which should be more accurate.

Only recorded on the Wahoo. I had a pause time of 1min 30 that must be someway related to the speed calculation by Strava.
    I've also noticed the the elevation correction feature reduces metres climbed when using the Wahoo. It makes no difference to me but to some it would

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Lovely commute yesterday (route was ~17km each way) with good weather and no close passes.
    About 30km/h despite me feeling physically knackered over the last few days so I'm happy with that.

On my way home yesterday, I arrived in my estate. Freewheeling through the estate towards the turn for my road, I sat upright and took off my helmet and gloves. A car came out of the turn but like many cars came out of the turn wide (many cars do this as a result of the road design).
    I signalled to the right and the car corrected themselves as they went on.

Anyhow, got to my house and was turning off MapMyRide when I saw the car again. It turned and then pulled up outside my drive with the pasenger window wound down.
    "Were you trying to tell me something?"
    "Oh, I just signalled that you were on the wrong side of the road"
    "No I was not!"
    walked down towards her so I wouldn't be heard by the neighbours - "erm you were, you were on my side of the road - you took the turn wide"
    getting more assertive with me - "I was not on the wrong side. I was on the right side!"
    Sigh - "you came out of the turn wide - it's ok"
    "I was on the right side!"
    "yes you were on the right side of the road but should be on the left!"
    "I was on the right - I mean I was on the left! Anyhow what would you know? You don't even know the rules of the road! Why aren't you wearing your helmet? What's your name?"
    "By law, I'm not required to wear a helmet!"
    "Yes you are! You're wrong. You don't know the basic rules of the road! What's your name?"
    at this point she was starting to move off and I just said "Right I'm not doing this anymore. Piss off" and walked back to the house.

Kinda ruined my evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

Only recorded on the Wahoo. I had a pause time of 1min 30 that must be someway related to the speed calculation by Strava.

Were you travelling while the wahoo was paused? I think Strava tries to adjust for this by adding to the time but it doesn't adjust the distance, try correcting the distance(similar to correcting the elevation) and see if that works

At least that's work for me in the past(with a garmin)

Takca wrote: »
    Were you travelling while the wahoo was paused? I think Strava tries to adjust for this by adding to the time but it doesn't adjust the distance, try correcting the distance(similar to correcting the elevation) and see if that works

At least that's work for me in the past(with a garmin)

Yes i was!!! I had paused an interval or two for traffic etc. Speed dropped again to 31.7, odd one and maybe just a glitch with Wahoo units.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

Yes i was!!! I had paused an interval or two for traffic etc. Speed dropped again to 31.7, odd one and maybe just a glitch with Wahoo units.

weird, sorry, it went up the times(maybe twice) i paused by accident

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

So I bought a second hand bike a month ago the chain has come off three times, I keep going back to the shop and the guy adjusts it but always gives me a lecture about how I'm cycling wrong and that's what's causing it (this is all without any indication by me that I'm doing anything) he said I was slamming my feet on the peddles when I changed gear.....:confused:

Probably best to start a new thread for advice on that. Give info about what bike and where the chain is coming off, crank or rear cogs. It is best to ease off briefly when changing gear but that's just to prevent excess wear, it shouldn't be causing the chain to come off.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

tuxy wrote: »
    Probably best to start a new thread for advice on that. Give info about what bike and where the chain is coming off, crank or rear cogs. It is best to ease off briefly when changing gear but that's just to prevent excess wear, it shouldn't be causing the chain to come off.

This, could also be that front or rear mech limits need setting, chain is a bit too long, or dropping to the small ring while still in a small sprocket at the back.

Out every day so far this week myself for a number of short lumpy spins. Military road, Hellfire club, Kilmashogue / Ticknock and yesterday took it easy and just nipped out and back to Enniskerry which for some reason I found stupidly tough. Fair breeze coming back though which got me a few PRs on what was my worst time in months for that spin. Ah well.

• Advertisement

50k this morning. First time out after Ring of Kerry, having been away on holidays for two weeks (though did do a few hour long rides on a bike in gym). Legs felt heavy and struggled on a few very steep climbs but overall great to be back out in the fresh air. Niggle in the top of my left calf since ROK which is a bit of a worry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement