Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Halloween (2018)

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,544 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Bloody hell.

Tough crowd in here.
    I saw it yesterday and it was exactly as I expected.

A decent slasher movie that did not challenge you too much and was enjoyable to watch.
    Many here seem to be expecting a Citizen Kane or Apocalypse Now levels of plot and insightfulness

I watched the original over the weekend as I had not seen it in a long long time and I still liked it and I liked how this new offering paid homage to it.
    Liked how the roles were reversed at the end. The wardrobes, and falling off the balcony etc, were a good nod.
    I didn’t really like the doctor’s role and also didn’t like how you graphically saw people killed on screen when nothing like that was shown in the original which is probably more effective.

Left the cinema satisfied and will forget about it in a week or so as I wouldn’t take it so serious. 7 out of 10 for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yeah I enjoyed it too. It was what it was - a decent slasher movie.

JLC did a great job too.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭El Duda

Halloween (2018) – 7/10
    A solid update on a very muddled and worn out franchise. It re-treads a lot of ground from the first film but unlike most modern reboots, it doesn’t just throw call backs at you for the sake of it. They are weaved very carefully into the plot and make perfect sense in terms of the narrative.
    I went to see it with a few others and we all enjoyed it a lot, but all agreed that the ‘new Loomis’ doctor was the weakest part of the film. Although I think it was more down to the poor acting rather than bad writing.
    I had high hopes that this may be the ‘Scream’ for the next generation, but it plays it a bit too safe and there’s nothing overly original here. Aside from some needless humour and a few characters too many, this is a very satisfying way to end the franchise. Sadly, its tremendous performance at the box office guarantees a needless sequel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

murpho999 wrote: »
    Bloody hell.

Tough crowd in here.
    I saw it yesterday and it was exactly as I expected.

A decent slasher movie that did not challenge you too much and was enjoyable to watch.
    Many here seem to be expecting a Citizen Kane or Apocalypse Now levels of plot and insightfulness

That's because everyone involved in the film promised us a back to basics successor to the masterpiece that was 1978's Halloween, and not a silly, generic slasher sequel. That was the whole point of ignoring every film after the first one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Jesus, it's a slasher movie, and it's a sequel. There's only so much they can do with that. In reality, if there is a slasher killer on a murderous rampage he gets apprehended or killed pretty quick by police. I like this Halloween because everything happens in the space of a few hours, like it would in real life. It feels real, like the first one. Even after the events of the first movie, they say Michael was apprehended and kept in captivity for 40 years. I like that! It's seems real. An unstoppable killer walking around endlessly killing people in the open is not real, hence most slasher movies and sequels are absolute muck. Name a slasher movie sequel that was any way good! I like the fact they tried to make this less of a generic slasher and more about the affects of trauma. Also they are not giving Michael some background explaining his ways, like those Rob Zombie ****e movies. The movie isn't about Michael; it is about random evil suddenly entering someone's life and changing it forever.

I'm also glad that they kills were so graphic and brutal. That's what they would actually look like. There were no major set-pieces with elaborate special effects for the gore hounds to applaud and jizz to; it was just straight up murder. Michael is not a sadist; he is just a homicidal, psychopathic force of nature, who only exists to kill (except for the Jack O Lantern cops head - Mikey had some fun with that one :p). They went for something different in this movie, and I thought it was great. Instead of people bitching here, why not tell us what you would have liked to have seen in this movie (bearing in mind that slasher movies tend to not be very original)? The first Halloween was great because it was original and well done; this movie strived to do something different too and I applaud that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

Name a slasher movie sequel that was any way good! .

Although it may not be a true slasher film, Psycho had an incredible follow up with Psycho 2. One of the greatest sequels ever made. Some people, including Quentin Tarantino, even consider it better than the first one.
    That's what I wanted to experience with this new Halloween. Not just a shrug of the shoulders and "meh, it's just a slasher."

sirmanga wrote: »
    Although it may not be a true slasher film, Psycho had an incredible follow up with Psycho 2. One of the greatest sequels ever made. Some people, including Quentin Tarantino, even consider it better than the first one.
    That's what I wanted to experience with this new Halloween. Not just a shrug of the shoulders and "meh, it's just a slasher."

Cool, I'm going to get Psycho 2 for Halloween! I think I saw it years ago, but don't remember it. Will check it out. Written by Tom Holland, one of the great horror directors of recent times. Hmmm, maybe that's the problem with the new movie; Green and McBride are not horror guys, so while I appreciated the new things they did, maybe they did not satisfy some of the hardcore horror fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Name a slasher movie sequel that was any way good.[/quote

Scream 2 and 4. Friday the 13th II. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3 and 4 and New Nightmare. Halloween 4 and H20.

I'm trying to think of a slasher sequel that was good. Aliens worked because it became a tense action thriller, rather than a horror, and I think Aliens is much better than Alien as a result. I think a successful sequel does have to do something different or it will always be negatively compared to the original.

The Scream sequels worked because the killer was ever-changing (although Scream 3 was garbage). Maybe that's the way to go with a Halloween sequel now; it becomes about who wears the mask and seeks to emulate Michael. They could do a decent sequel, with media and rubber-neckers descending on Haddonfield after the events of the movie. Think of this happening in a time of 24 hour news, and smartphones; Laurie and her family would be hounded! Michael's body could be taken as a trophy by someone, so there would be a question over is he even dead. Then have fans descend on Haddonfield at Halloween, touring around and wearing Michael costumes. Then the murders start again...the killer wears a Michael costume and gets closer and closer to the Strode family, until it is revealed the killer is the douche from the first movie that Laurie's grand-daughter rejected, and who wasn't killed by Michael. He also followed her to Laurie's house on Halloween, angry at her rejection of him: he witnessed the events, and was the one who took Michael's burnt corpse from the basement.

I have to have a lie down now...too much Scream-type stuff going on in my head :P

• Advertisement

Space Dog wrote: »
    Name a slasher movie sequel that was any way good.[/quote

Scream 2 and 4. Friday the 13th II. A Nightmare on Elm Street 3 and 4 and New Nightmare. Halloween 4 and H20.

I'd agree with you on Scream 2 and Nightmare 3, but still I wouldn't say they are anywhere near as good or fresh as the first movies in these series. New Nightmare tried something different which I appreciate, but it did become a bit ridiculous and the horrible early 90s look ruined it for me. It looked like a TV movie.

Nightmare 3 was directed by a good horror director Chuck Russell, and had Frank Darabont as one of the writers. I think the lesson is get good talented people, who know and love horror, on board, and let them do their thing. You'd wonder how much freedom directors get nowadays with these movies, what with interfering executives/test audiences and all that ****. I think that's why something like Blair Witch, or It Follows worked so well; it can be totally the vision of the creators, so they can create something unique rather than following a formula decided by the studios. I think Green and McBride were given a lot of freedom here, hence there were some fresh ideas, but there is only so much they can do with this premise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I'm trying to think of a slasher sequel that was good. Aliens worked because it became a tense action thriller, rather than a horror, and I think Aliens is much better than Alien as a result. I think a successful sequel does have to do something different or it will always be negatively compared to the original.

The Scream sequels worked because the killer was ever-changing (although Scream 3 was garbage). Maybe that's the way to go with a Halloween sequel now; it becomes about who wears the mask and seeks to emulate Michael. They could do a decent sequel, with media and rubber-neckers descending on Haddonfield after the events of the movie. Think of this happening in a time of 24 hour news, and smartphones; Laurie and her family would be hounded! Michael's body could be taken as a trophy by someone, so there would be a question over is he even dead. Then have fans descend on Haddonfield at Halloween, touring around and wearing Michael costumes. Then the murders start again...the killer wears a Michael costume and gets closer and closer to the Strode family, until it is revealed the killer is the douche from the first movie that Laurie's grand-daughter rejected, and who wasn't killed by Michael. He also followed her to Laurie's house on Halloween, angry at her rejection of him: he witnessed the events, and was the one who took Michael's burnt corpse from the basement.

I have to have a lie down now...too much Scream-type stuff going on in my head :P

That's a very good plot in theory , would pay to see it

That's a very good plot in theory , would pay to see it

I'll get on to Blumhouse so :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

It sounds good but it’s also too much like scream
    At the end of the day people pay to see Halloween to watch micheal Myers it’s as simple as that

Friday the 13th part5 tried a Jason free film it did not work
    Halloween tried a micheal Myers free film and again it did not work.

If Jamie lee can’t come back I think a film set a few years down the road where Laurie died of natural causes wouldn’t be such a slap in the face to the last movie.

Everybody thinks micheal is dead and gone and her grandaughter now at adult will be back on the scene after micheal returns again. From were? Who knows. But how did he? Who knows lol it’s a silly slasher movie franchise ha

What if Michael Myers comes back but in peoples dreams?!

cha-ching!

El Duda wrote: »
    What if Michael Myers comes back but in peoples dreams?!

cha-ching!

It’s not that far fetched give it another decade we will have an avengers style team up slasher movie lol
    Micheal Jason Freddy chucky and leather face have been unleashed from a cursed vhs store in the 80s and wreck havoc in a quiet small town cha Ching!!

• Advertisement

Apparently Freddy Vs Jason Vs Ash was almost a thing so you could be on to something here!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

I'm a fan of slasher films but I thought it was a let down and pretty terrible. I found the other characters in the film awful and the plot pretty awful. What happened the girls boyfriend in the end, nothing? And the thing with the doctor/psychiatrist = absolute rubbish.

What was the talk from JLC about a feminist narrative? Was that the fact they killed male characters and kept annoying female characters alive. Not sure I understand what she meant but pretty pathetic if thats the case.

Either the Scream franchise pisses all over this. Lets have Scream 5, Jamie Lee Curtis and Mike Myers have had their day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

I'm a fan of slasher films but I thought it was a let down and pretty terrible. I found the other characters in the film awful and the plot pretty awful. What happened the girls boyfriend in the end, nothing? And the thing with the doctor/psychiatrist = absolute rubbish.

What was the talk from JLC about a feminist narrative? Was that the fact they killed male characters and kept annoying female characters alive. Not sure I understand what she meant but pretty pathetic if thats the case.

Either the Scream franchise pisses all over this. Lets have Scream 5, Jamie Lee Curtis and Mike Myers have had their day.

I don’t really think there was any feminist narrative, he killed plenty of females in the film. The only kill I was annoyed me was the young boy with the shotgun, I thought Michael has no interest in killing kids.

fin12 wrote: »
    I don’t really think there was any feminist narrative, he killed plenty of females in the film. The only kill I was annoyed me was the young boy with the shotgun, I thought Michael has no interest in killing kids.
    Would have suited more to kill cheating BF not the other lad

Was is not about the end when all 3 women kick micheals ass and send him to the curb they have the power at the end not him I thought that was what she on about anyways.

This movie has beaten scream as the top grossing slasher movie of all time and the last scream flopped back in 2011 so I don’t think micheal and Jamie have had there day just yet

• Advertisement

I thought Scream 4 was very good film and much better than this, but it wasn't marketed well and Halloween was marketed big

Scream 4 done 97 million but the budget was 40 million not that bad IMO, but yeah this done 174 million. I'm more of a Scream fan though, I really enjoyed the MTV series although next one looks poor and may not go ahead

I'd love a proper Scream film again, the TV shows are okay throw away rubbish , they don't even licence the proper mask ,

1st thing they should do in a new scream film is kill off Neve Campbell, that would be interesting if Michael actually finally killed Jamie Lee Curtis

I'd love a proper Scream film again, the TV shows are okay throw away rubbish , they don't even licence the proper mask ,

1st thing they should do in a new scream film is kill off Neve Campbell, that would be interesting if Michael actually finally killed Jamie Lee Curtis

He already did in the terrible terrible Halloween resurrection.

About Killing Sidney in a new scream that is a sure fire way to piss of a lot of fans of the franchise after everything she’s been through there’s no way they would or should imo even think about doing that it would ruin the franchise imo

Scream should either be rebooted or start completely fresh in the same universe as the old movies with small cameos from Neve Campbell on a tv interview or something.

A new Scream announcement is only a matter of time before we hear something after the success of this movie I reckon.

biggebruv wrote: »
    He already did in the terrible terrible Halloween resurrection.

About Killing Sidney in a new scream that is a sure fire way to piss of a lot of fans of the franchise after everything she’s been through there’s no way they would or should imo even think about doing that it would ruin the franchise imo

Scream should either be rebooted or start completely fresh in the same universe as the old movies with small cameos from Neve Campbell on a tv interview or something.

A new Scream announcement is only a matter of time before we hear something after the success of this movie I reckon.
    I think there was some issue with the franchise rights Weinsteins company had it. Wes Craven dying didnt help either. The MTV series is having rights issues too

I think there was some issue with the franchise rights Weinsteins company had it. Wes Craven dying didnt help either. The MTV series is having rights issues too

Last I heard on that was it’s getting sorted ASAP and the 3rd season of the tv show shouldn’t be too much longer aswell now either once it’s sorted .

Maybe your right , another interesting take would be her herself becoming the new Ghostface but they'd never get the actress to agree to it , because I think she has been quoted as saying she'd never do another one

Maybe your right , another interesting take would be her herself becoming the new Ghostface but they'd never get the actress to agree to it , because I think she has been quoted as saying she'd never do another one

Iv never heard of neve saying outright no to another one she used to dismiss the franchise after the 3rd movie but recently she seems to have embraced it and accepted it that it’s probably going to be always her main thing in her career just like Jamie lee Curtis actually.

If someone plops down a pile of cash in front of her she’s gonnna damm well say yes for sure lol.

Just like Jamie lee I believe she gets a percentage of the box office cut for this new Halloween movie

Iv never heard of neve saying outright no to another one she used to dismiss the franchise after the 3rd movie but recently she seems to have embraced it and accepted it that it’s probably going to be always her main thing in her career just like Jamie lee Curtis actually.

If someone plops down a pile of cash in front of her she’s gonnna damm well say yes for sure lol.

Just like Jamie lee I believe she gets a percentage of the box office cut for this new Halloween movie

If you look at Sidney’s character in the 4th movie she’s the strongest she’s ever been it almost doesn’t get to her because she’s been through this a lot even in the end she’s just whatever and telling the killer to get on with it.

Now Dewey or gale dying sure you could probably kill one of those off. Probably Courtney Cox she would be the most expensive cast member I’d imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Space Dog

I'm a big slasher fan and was looking forward to this, but I thought it was a bit of wasted potential.
    I liked some aspects of the film, especially the acting by Curtis and Greer and the overall autumnal atmosphere. There are some nice set pieces like (
    the setup for the murder of the blond babysitter, the scene with the motion sensor, Allyson trapped in the back of the car with Myers
    and fun nods to the other films in the series.
    I just didn't find it creepy or scary in the slightest. The original builds tension and dread and the pace is slow, but efficient. This one felt more like an action film, it was missing the stalk and slash scenes that I love about the genre and just felt too busy (
    especially the finale, which was more like the third act of Home Alone or Skyfall
    ). They could have built more suspense, instead things just happened without any build-up. I also didn't like the overuse of guns.

• Advertisement

Space Dog wrote: »
    I'm a big slasher fan and was looking forward to this, but I thought it was a bit of wasted potential.
    I liked some aspects of the film, especially the acting by Curtis and Greer and the overall autumnal atmosphere. There are some nice set pieces like (
    the setup for the murder of the blond babysitter, the scene with the motion sensor, Allyson trapped in the back of the car with Myers
    and fun nods to the other films in the series.
    I just didn't find it creepy or scary in the slightest. The original builds tension and dread and the pace is slow, but efficient. This one felt more like an action film, it was missing the stalk and slash scenes that I love about the genre and just felt too busy (
    especially the finale, which was more like the third act of Home Alone or Skyfall
    ). They could have built more suspense, instead things just happened without any build-up. I also didn't like the overuse of guns.
    Yeah really it was like a home invasion action thriller. Not very like a slasher/horror film.

Not including last years Oscar contenders (Phantom Thread, Shape of Water) I think this is one of the standout scores of the year. Carpenters music is fantastic.

Not including last years Oscar contenders (Phantom Thread, Shape of Water) I think this is one of the standout scores of the year. Carpenters music is fantastic.

El Duda wrote: »

Yes the score is amazing. I love the music at that part where Laurie is trying to find him in the back gardens of the house in the suburbs the best soundtrack for a Halloween movie imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I really enjoyed this. It has it's issues but they weren't so bad that I couldn't enjoy it or won't enjoy it when I watch it when Halloween comes around. Jamie was good in it. Michael was proper sinister in it, that's what you really want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Watched this tonight. It was serviceable, but not worth writing Halloween 2 out of continuity for. It basically see's Laurie reforged into a Sarah Connoresque doomsday prepper complete with alienated son/daughter (John in T2 and Greers character here) , preparing for judgement day/Michael's inevitable escape. It also does some nice predator prey role reversal in scenes that mirror ones from the original but all in all its not enough to justify it's existence. I'd rate Halloween H20 a better Halloween film personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm a fan of slasher films but I thought it was a let down and pretty terrible. I found the other characters in the film awful and the plot pretty awful.

Watched this earlier and feel exactly the same, it's perfectly watchable but it's just bad. I was incredibly disappointed given the decent reception to it.

Not a good film, not even a decent slasher film. Weak plot, brutal dialogue in places. Sometimes that works and can even add charms to these types of movies, but it didn't work for me in this one, it was the wrong kind of dumb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Sarri_ball

Trilogy announced:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Sarri_ball wrote: »
    Trilogy announced:

That’s deadly enjoyed the last one. Hopefully the next two are as watchable.

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote: »
    That’s deadly enjoyed the last one. Hopefully the next two are as watchable.

Ah but how could he survive that, he was down in the basement no way of getting out.it would have been like being in an oven. Your one had it specially designed to trap him down there and that there would be no escape for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Sarri_ball

Ah but how could he survive that, he was down in the basement no way of getting out.it would have been like being in an oven. Your one had it specially designed to trap him down there and that there would be no escape for him.

I think it's fair to say that with movies such as Halloween that an element of suspension of disbelief is required. It's entertainment.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I remember H20 ended with Michael being Beheaded and the next Halloween movie started with the reveal that, that wasn't Michael under the mask, it was a security guard with his mouth taped up, they could do something similar to that.

Bare in mind that the writers wrote this purposely with a part 2 in mind.

I remember H20 ended with Michael being Beheaded and the next Halloween movie started with the reveal that, that wasn't Michael under the mask, it was a security guard with his mouth taped up, they could do something similar to that.

Bare in mind that the writers wrote this purposely with a part 2 in mind.

Ya I like the Halloween films but just wonder will they ever eventually let him die.

Ya I like the Halloween films but just wonder will they ever eventually let him die.

It'll die when the box office returns die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,321 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It'll die when the box office returns die.
    Even then it will still likely be rebooted again at some stage!

• Advertisement
Advertisement