Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boat Trip on Shannon - advice

• 09-07-2019 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Planning a first time boat trip on the Shannon with my 3 kids - 5, 7 and 9. Only have 4 days so choosing between Upper and Lower Shannon. Is the Lower Shannon trip a nicer one? Upper Shannon full of stag and hen parties etc at the stop off towns?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hudson Bay water sport on Lough Ree is a great place to visit with kids also Lough Key forest park is well worth a visit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,722 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I've done the Shannon a few times and it's really all just beautiful, wherever you start/finish from.

Carrick on Shannon southwards is a lovely trip, you could go as far south as Hodson Bay/Athlone, and you get a good mixture of small winding river as well as the big Lough Ree leading into Atholne.
    From Banagher (or Portumna), you could head either north as far as Lough Rea, or south to Lough Derg, getting a similar mix of river & lough.

The longest trip we did was about 5/6 nights and we made it from Carrick-on-Shannon down as far as Mountshannon, so you can make good distances if your moving most of the day although that might not wear well with kids.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Lots of playgrounds in the harbours of L Derg. Conversely, if the weather is bad (wind or fog) you're rightly screwed and stuck in harbour. This won't apply on the river sections however.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 drummerlad

We keep our boat in Banagher and the two kids ( 7 and 10 ) love the playgrounds and little outdoor pool in the river, As Andy above sais, long period of cruising will have the kiddies bored so keep that in mind, However, if your kids like swimming, kayaking etc, you will have a great time! I am taking a trip from Banagher up to the Inflatable park in Athlone ( https://baysports.ie/) in August and we are all looking forward to it!

Carrick on Shannon to Lough Key forest park would be another great trip!

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭sarahv

Great, thanks for all the advice. We are going to start at Banagher and see from there. Looking forward to it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

If you're near Carrick its worth mooring in Battlebridge Camping as there would be loads of kids that they couple play with in the playground there. The playground is right beside the beer garden too....

You may have to pay for berthing but its worth it imo - although nobody asked us to. Also, another shout for lough key, theres actually a reasonably sandy beach over on the west shore.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

It's my dad's 80th birthday at the end of August, and I'm trying to think of something we could do as a family for a few days. We don't have a boat, or have boating skills, but is this this something we could do on our own? How does it work?

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you in advance.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Yep you just book it and turn up they will teach you enough to get going and you don't need to have any boating experience, mad I know but that's the way it works 😉 you will have to leave a deposit to cover any damage. Stick to the navigation and you will be fine.

Thanks @fergal.b. Would you happen to know the name or website of the right company to contact?

Try this https://www.shannon-river.com it can depend on where you want to leave from and how long you want it for, I'd say they are quite busy with a lot of people having a staycation instead of going through the risk of flying.

• Advertisement

Advertisement