Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Due to go to Chicago in 2 weeks and although ive been to America 7 times now its all been for holidays up to now. So when I am being questioned by the customs in Dublin Airport I always tell them purpose of visit is a holiday but now its for business, will that lead to more questions? I don't know why but I just get the feeling they will be ar%sey with me. I have the company statement and the hotels and date of arrival/departure but does anyone here have any experience with the staff when it comes to reason being pleasure/business?

Training. Never say 'business', ever. What you're going for is 'training', or 'meetings'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Business meetings is fine. Never say "work" or they'll think you're trying to get employment without the right visas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Thanks for the replies people. I might stick with training then. Its just they are a real mixed bag up there in customs. Some are lovely others are horrible and want to catch you out on any little thing. Id say they hate their job, a few of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Thanks for the replies people. I might stick with training then. Its just they are a real mixed bag up there in customs. Some are lovely others are horrible and want to catch you out on any little thing. Id say they hate their job, a few of them.
    It's the opposite, the ones that are horrible actually love their job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

Never say business or work?!

I've said both before never had any issues. Normally just saying going with work. Then they'll ask where I work and how long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Yeah there are specific classes of things you're not allowed to do when you're over there, and if someone wants to be arsey with you they can catch you out. For example when travelling to interview people in an office in the US, we're always advised by our immigration lawyers to say that we're "assisting our US colleague who manages the site", even if they're below you in the pecking order and you're really the decision maker. Lots of nuance like that. But always always tell the guts of the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Telling them you make youtube videos will get you nothing but grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Has anyone ever went from Paris to the US with XL Airways?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I had a stupid moment and checked in for an Aer Lingus flight and ticked “sit me anywhere” instead of actually choosing a preferred seat. The boarding pass has been issued and I’ve been checked in, is there anyway I can change this? At the kiosk in the terminal maybe ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Locker10a wrote: »
    I had a stupid moment and checked in for an Aer Lingus flight and ticked “sit me anywhere” instead of actually choosing a preferred seat. The boarding pass has been issued and I’ve been checked in, is there anyway I can change this? At the kiosk in the terminal maybe ?

Work sometimes books a seat for us when they book the Plus fare and I normally change this by calling Aer Lingus customer care

Sorry only reading you are checked in, I’ve only done it before checking in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

I booked our flights from lastminute.ie for aer lingus flight to Miami.

It's our first flight to the US.

On booking it states "1 piece of checked luggage included"

Anyone know what size and weight of bag this means?

Can we bring on any hand luggage?

Thank you

Who are the airline that is actually carrying you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Who are the airline that is actually carrying you?

Aer Lingus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Aer Lingus

23kg I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Folks a friend is travelling on Norwegian to the usa with hand luggage only. I know I can check her in online but can I get her boarding pass also so she can go straight through security?

• Advertisement

Dovies wrote: »
    Folks a friend is travelling on Norwegian to the usa with hand luggage only. I know I can check her in online but can I get her boarding pass also so she can go straight through security?

I may be wrong but I’ve a feeling online check in is not permitted for their USA flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

Dovies wrote: »
    you have to check in at the airport with Norwegian for US flight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,862 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Hi. Wife was due to fly with Ryanair to Amsterdam this morning. The flight was delayed by 5 hours. After 2 hours she got an email asking if she would like a refund or booked on another flight. She took neither as she had a meeting she needed to attend.
    Is she entitled to compensation or did the email offer cancel that?
    Thanks.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Hi. Wife was due to fly with Ryanair to Amsterdam this morning. The flight was delayed by 5 hours. After 2 hours she got an email asking if she would like a refund or booked on another flight. She took neither as she had a meeting she needed to attend.
    Is she entitled to compensation or did the email offer cancel that?
    Thanks.
    No, if she travels and arrives more than 3 hours late she’s is entitled to compensation

No, if she travels and arrives more than 3 hours late she’s is entitled to compensation

Cool!! Is it an easy process or difficult because Ryanair??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

But she didn't travel?

But she didn't travel?

I think she did!

I think she did!

We'll have to wait for clarification - he says she took neither a refund nor a different flight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Cool!! Is it an easy process or difficult because Ryanair??

Very easy, google it.
    There's an EU form that you can download, fill in, and post off to them. Should get a cheque/bank transfer within 3/4 weeks.

Here's one way of doing it through MoneySavingExpert.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/flight-delays/#resolvertool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

We'll have to wait for clarification - he says she took neither a refund nor a different flight.

She waited on the delayed flight and took that, 5 hours later.

razorblunt wrote: »
    She waited on the delayed flight and took that, 5 hours later.

That's it!! I'll find out the further details tonight. Thanks for everyone's help.

That's it!! I'll find out the further details tonight. Thanks for everyone's help.

Should be straightforward so.

Quick question about ryanair check-in.
    I booked some flights for my (not so great with technology) parents + aunt and uncle.
    I can simply check them in within 2 days of the outward flight and print their boarding cards.
    They will be gone for more than a week, so I cannot print out their return boarding cards before they go, without paying for seat allocation fee (the cheapest at the moment is 9 euro a seat).
    Can I check in online for them ( 2 days before they return) and send them the boarding cards via message / email etc.?

Yes, just check them in and email them the passes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Quick question about ryanair check-in.
    I booked some flights for my (not so great with technology) parents + aunt and uncle.
    I can simply check them in within 2 days of the outward flight and print their boarding cards.
    They will be gone for more than a week, so I cannot print out their return boarding cards before they go, without paying for seat allocation fee (the cheapest at the moment is 9 euro a seat).
    Can I check in online for them ( 2 days before they return) and send them the boarding cards via message / email etc.?
    yes, but you do realise that they'll not be sitting together?
    And do they know that?
    And are they of the type to cause a fuss to try and be seated together on a possibly full plane?

as for boarding cards, thats just a pdf that they could print off at the hotel if the hotel lets them. The last time I did that I just forwarded the pdfs to the hotel front desk (after asking them!) and it was fairly straight forward for them to just open and print them. Easier than running behind the desk and logging into your own email anyhow!

• Advertisement

yes, but you do realise that they'll not be sitting together?
    And do they know that?
    And are they of the type to cause a fuss to try and be seated together on a possibly full plane?

as for boarding cards, thats just a pdf that they could print off at the hotel if the hotel lets them. The last time I did that I just forwarded the pdfs to the hotel front desk (after asking them!) and it was fairly straight forward for them to just open and print them. Easier than running behind the desk and logging into your own email anyhow!

Yeah I warned them about not sitting together, they are ok with that.
    Great idea about emailing the hotel rather than them.
    2 of them have smartphones so I will install the ryanair app and login with my details on their phones as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Quick question on security for anyone with a bit more knowledge on airports than myself: what powers do security have to search peoples phones?

A freind of mine heading to america today had her phone taken to a back room after being unlocked for 5mins and searched through(instagram etc). The security person returned and was able to mention to her a few facts about herself, hobbies,reason for travel etc which i understand but I hadnt seen peoples phones being taken before, ive only ever been asked 'how long are you staying/where are you staying' etc.

Would what happens be a normal occurrence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭NSAman

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Quick question on security for anyone with a bit more knowledge on airports than myself: what powers do security have to search peoples phones?

A freind of mine heading to america today had her phone taken to a back room after being unlocked for 5mins and searched through(instagram etc). The security person returned and was able to mention to her a few facts about herself, hobbies,reason for travel etc which i understand but I hadnt seen peoples phones being taken before, ive only ever been asked 'how long are you staying/where are you staying' etc.

Would what happens be a normal occurrence?

America is an anomaly compared to almost anywhere else. Your phone may be read at airports and (I could be wrong) anywhere within 25 miles of a border.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

NSAman wrote: »
    America is an anomaly compared to almost anywhere else. Your phone may be read at airports and (I could be wrong) anywhere within 25 miles of a border.

Thanks, hadnt heard about that before. Shes mortified due to some intimate photos she had on her phone! 😋

When you say within 25 miles of a border could you theoretically be stopped and phone checked while within this radius but having no intention to cross the border?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭NSAman

Thanks, hadnt heard about that before. Shes mortified due to some intimate photos she had on her phone! ��

When you say within 25 miles of a border could you theoretically be stopped and phone checked while within this radius but having no intention to cross the border?

Only within the US or border immigration points..I.e. Dublin airport immigration hall.

Not within the US I do not think they have authority, but I could be wrong but they don’t have jurisdiction outside US “land” I.e. Canadian side of border/Mexican side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Thanks, hadnt heard about that before. Shes mortified due to some intimate photos she had on her phone! 😋

Yeah the recommendation on crossing the US border is that if you have anything you don’t want them to see, make a point to delete it off your phone. https://www.theverge.com/2017/2/15/14629022/border-search-customs-data-privacy-encryption

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Nevermind, Flightradar just popped it up on the site now

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Pompous

Will my flight still be with the same airline, but just with a different aircraft?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

No image

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

For example, I had a recent flight on Ryanair operated by another carrier, Ryanair Sun. We didn't notice any difference to be honest.

Okay great, thanks for the reply. I suspected as much but just wanted to check. This flight needs to go off without a hitch.

But sure don't they all..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Pompous wrote: »
    Okay great, thanks for the reply. I suspected as much but just wanted to check. This flight needs to go off without a hitch.

But sure don't they all..

Can’t see the image but who did you book with and who is operating the flight?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

spurious wrote: »
    For example, I had a recent flight on Ryanair operated by another carrier, Ryanair Sun. We didn't notice any difference to be honest.

Ryanair Sun is a subsidiary of Ryanair (lower salaries I believe) but uses the same aircraft type and uniforms. So practically speaking there is not obvious difference to the customer.

An more recognizable example would be Aer Lingus hiring ASL to operate their flights from Belfast. It’s a different airline, different aircraft type, different livery and uniforms.

My girlfriend in the states in on the flight now. It's with Norwegian air. I booked directly with them. The image that doesn't seem to be cooperating is an email from them a month after the flight was booked that says:

"Greetings traveller,
    We are contacting you to inform you that your flight (number) will be operated by another Carrier.

We understand that these changes are not ideal, but it was necessary for us to lease an aircraft from another Carrier in order to avoid a disruption to your flight.

We're sorry for the disappointment this change may cause.

Why will my flight be operated with another Carrier?
    • From time to time, we may be required to lease an aircraft from another Carrier in order to ensure that our flight is operated as planned. This is common practice in the aviation industry and is typically performed in order to overcome unforeseen events.
    • The leased aircraft Carrier will always satisfy technical and safety requirements as specified by the applicable authorities."

She got on a Norwegian Aircraft too. I asked her if Norwegian checked her in at the desk or if it was another airline, but she doesn't know. She's new to flying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Norwegian are in serious difficulties due issues with 787 engines and the grounding of the 737 MAX. They have been hiring in aircraft to cover the gap.

As this is a flight to/from the US, US rules allow for a full refund if you decline to travel on the alternative carrier.

You MUST be told who the operating carrier is.

Thats why you will hear cabin crew remind you, this flights is operated by X on behalf of Y

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

Pompous wrote: »
    She got on a Norwegian Aircraft too. I asked her if Norwegian checked her in at the desk or if it was another airline, but she doesn't know. She's new to flying.

Like the Ryanair Sun example above (Polish subsidiary of Ryanair), Norwegian have a few different companies in different countries to benefit from that country’s flight rights. If it’s actually a Norwegian aircraft, that’s probably what it’s about. If it’s the New York Stewart to Dublin flight, it’s being operated by Evelop, a Spanish charter airline, to cover flights that they couldn’t run because of their grounded 737 Maxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

hi,
    what happens if i decide to cancel the flying plan in the last minute at the gate?
    whom should i inform?
    is it ryanair staff at the boarding gate?
    will i go through immigration at dublin airport and then exit via baggage area in T1?
    will i get into trouble for going in and coming out immediately without flying?
    I'm talking about T1 Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

hi,
    what happens if i decide to cancel the flying plan in the last minute at the gate?
    whom should i inform?
    will i go through immigration at dublin airport and then exit via baggage area in T1?

I did it before, I mentioned it to the Ryanair staff at the gate and they took no real notice. Can’t remember the exact route but it was essentially back the way I had come, and no big deal to any of the staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

hi,
    whom should i inform?

Will you have checked bags or only hand luggage??

• Advertisement
Advertisement