Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Golf Lockdown Discussion ** No discussion of breaking Restrictions **

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

callaway92 wrote: »
    I see the new version of BRS is up and running.

Tis fine

Looks fairly good

How are people getting on with the 3 balls. I think they should move back to 4 balls on the 8th. People are keeping their distance and i think being outdoors is safe enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭SEORG

I have heard from a reliable source that GUI/ILGU will tomorrow announce 4balls every 14 minutes or 3balls every 12 mins from June 8th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

How are people getting on with the 3 balls. I think they should move back to 4 balls on the 8th. People are keeping their distance and i think being outdoors is safe enough.

I won’t lie - I’m absolutely loving it.

As long as people use the exact tee time assigned to them it is working really well. Maybe reduce it to 12 mins and they’d maybe fit two more 3 balls in per day then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

SEORG wrote: »
    I have heard from a reliable source that GUI/ILGU will tomorrow announce 4balls every 14 minutes or 3balls every 12 mins from June 8th

They have no choice if they want to run inter club, I believe clubs have already been informed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

SEORG wrote: »
    That was their plan for Phase 3. Interesting if they move it up. There's been no official communication to clubs as yet. But they've still got a survey running on inter-club comps that closes on June 7th.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    That was their plan for Phase 3. Interesting if they move it up. There's been no official communication to clubs as yet. But they've still got a survey running on inter-club comps that closes on June 7th.

Not in writing but they were told and it’s to be announced this week.

Ollieboy wrote: »
    Not in writing but they were told and it’s to be announced this week.

Told how? My club's CCO has heard nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Looks fairly good

But runs like a dog, hangs when the time sheet opens up :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

callaway92 wrote: »
    I won’t lie - I’m absolutely loving it.

As long as people use the exact tee time assigned to them it is working really well. Maybe reduce it to 12 mins and they’d maybe fit two more 3 balls in per day then

Yeah I much prefer it. Yesterday was my 4 round since I was back and the first time I had to wait on a tee due to being behind a very slow group of ladies. They lost 2 and half holes on the group ahead. It was the first time we had got near any other groups.

I'd imagine clubs will use the use the 4ball option for weekend comps given they could get another 20+ people out each day.

Yeah I much prefer it. Yesterday was my 4 round since I was back and the first time I had to wait on a tee due to being behind a very slow group of ladies. They lost 2 and half holes on the group ahead. It was the first time we had got near any other groups.

I'd imagine clubs will use the use the 4ball option for weekend comps given they could get another 20+ people out each day.

I'd like to get back to 4 balls but I wouldn't like to go back to the 8 min gaping. It's not enough. 12 mins would be good. We haven't been held up yet with the 14 min gap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Fourballs will be permitted from 8th June. A couple of weeks earlier than originally planned.

https://www.golfnet.ie/News%20Listing%20Assets/Protocol_Phase2.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

I'd like to get back to 4 balls but I wouldn't like to go back to the 8 min gaping. It's not enough. 12 mins would be good. We haven't been held up yet with the 14 min gap.

8 mins is grand if everyone is on the speedy end of the spectrum, but thats not always going to be. So its too tight really. 14 gaps just build in such a buffer that you really shouldnt be held up, as it allows for the field concertinaing to the slowest out there. 12 would be good I agree and think a lot of boys who normally moan about slow play would like it as they would feel they are waiting less. Course busy today, but a few slow. Just nice actually, and club had a nice active buzz about it - good vibe, between the good weather and people just happy to be back swinging again. Its certainly good for the mood after the lockdown lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Poker Face

GUI have just released statement that no competitions are going to be allowed to take place until Phase 3 (June 29th)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

To: Club Communication Officers
    FAO: Committees, Management, Staff, Members

Please note: This relates to golf clubs in the Republic of Ireland only. Clubs in Northern Ireland are copied for information purposes.

UPDATE: COMPETITIONS NOT PERMITTED IN PHASE 2

On Wednesday 3 June, at their most recent meeting, the Expert Group on the Return to Sport decided, on public health grounds, that no competitive sport should take place during Phase 2 of the Irish Government’s Roadmap for the Re-Opening of the Economy and Society.

Following further engagement with Sport Ireland, the GUI and ILGU can confirm that this sport-wide measure means that competition activity in golf clubs in the Republic of Ireland during Phase 2 of the roadmap is not permitted.

Although we had indicated to Sport Ireland some weeks ago that we had intended on including competitions from Phase 2, the Expert Group has been considering Protocols on a Phase by Phase basis and this week’s meeting focused on Phase 2.

We are glad to confirm that the Expert Group has approved the Unions’ proposal to allow four-balls in Phase 2.

As has been the case since the beginning of the public health emergency, we will continue to engage intensively with Sport Ireland and the Government and we will continue to update and inform golf clubs on any new developments as this fluid situation evolves.

A revised Protocol for Phase 2 is attached.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭slingerz

Poker Face wrote: »
    GUI have just released statement that no competitions are going to be allowed to take place until Phase 3 (June 29th)

Makes no sense at all to change stance and not allow closed club competitions

Surely they are just referring to inter-club golf??

HighLine wrote: »
    Surely they are just referring to inter-club golf??

No unfortunately they are not. Hard to understand the reasoning behind it. We were going to submitting our scores using phones so it makes no difference to players safety.

Poker Face wrote: »
    No unfortunately they are not. Hard to understand the reasoning behind it. We were going to submitting our scores using phones so it makes no difference to players safety.

Shocked at that. We have been working hard in the background getting our club ready for competitive golf (and a small bit of income) and they release this last minute statement. When the Government are relaxing restrictions. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

What's the reason for this. It just doesn't make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭slingerz

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    What's the reason for this. It just doesn't make sense.

No competitive sport apparently.

No logic to it as we can have guests with members, play the same game but heaven forbid if you have a scorecard with you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

After all the good news with the relaxation of other restrictions this makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Just a couple of observations and just supposition on my behalf. This move may be to deflect criticism around lots of golfers going beyond the 5 k limit and or its a move by the governing organisation to be in line with the lack of competitive sport in all other sporting codes.

Something stinks with this lads. To leave it to friday evening with competitions due to start on Monday is very amateurish.

Something stinks with this lads. To leave it to friday evening with competitions due to start on Monday is very amateurish.
    Why do you think they changed

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

Just a couple of observations and just supposition on my behalf. This move may be to deflect criticism around lots of golfers going beyond the 5 k limit and or its a move by the governing organisation to be in line with the lack of competitive sport in all other sporting codes.

Horse racing is one of the most competitive sports there is, what a joke

Why do you think they changed

Your guess is as food as mine. The fact they waited until friday evening to announce it says a lot about them as an organisation. Clubs have been planning for competitions next week including digital scorecards etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Just read the text on the GUI website.

Nothing to do at all with scorecards or 5km limits or whatever.

Return to Sports Ireland or whatever some committee is called has decided that competitive sport (as in blanket sport not just golf) is not permitted during phase 2. GUI and ILGU then have decided that this means there are no comps allowed.

What a load of dickie. There is no other word for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Just read the protocol and it says competions allowed if conditions in appendix 2 are adhered to. Appendix 2 is all about junior golf. Wtf

Totally agree, if it was anything to do with player safety then why can you have 4balls now and also bring guests to the course

• Advertisement

Nothing to do with player safety. Its just bureaucrat bullsh1t. As if the fkn virus wasn't bad enough we now have to put up with outright nonsense too. Thats another 3 weeks with no income for the clubs. Its absolutely braindead.

Gui getting lambasted on their Facebook page.

Their only response "it wasn't our decision."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Not again PLEASE. There was no criticism other than by you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Rage!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭almostover

slingerz wrote: »

No logic to it as we can have guests with members, play the same game but heaven forbid if you have a scorecard with you

Horse racing is competitive isn't it? This decision is moronic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

If they knew on Wednesday why wait to tonight.

I’ve seen the amount of work that has gone into preparing clubs for competitions in line with risk minimisation. It’s not wasted work but didn’t need to be so rushed and stressful if not comps until the 29th

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I'm hoping this is just a misinterpretation with a bit of better safe than sorry thrown on.

It appears they were forced into this decision by Sports Ireland and I reckon other sports were concerned about the growth of golf plus golf been allowed competitions when most other sports can’t even play and the GUI caved into them.

Personally, I think this will be the end of protocols in golf and hopefully the GUI involvement In this process and clubs will now go their own way which was already happening.

Clubs are business and have to look after there members and financial interest.

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Not again PLEASE. There was no criticism other than by you
    Ok Gypsy 79, not sure why you posted above i have not criticized merely surmised the reasons for the backtrack. I agree its a load of me long lad and am mad to get playing competitively at this stage. Sure we can play together in Kilkea and set the world to rights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

slingerz wrote: »

Run your own comps between a group of members, easily set up, Revolut entry, photo cards and send to designated WhatsApp group..I've details in another thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭davegilly

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Run your own comps between a group of members, easily set up, Revolut entry, photo cards and send to designated WhatsApp group..I've details in another thread
    An option but I only play comps to try and get my handicap cut.

Golfhead65 wrote: »

Cant beat a real competition. A lot of clubs have planned for comps from next week so very unfair to clubs. GUI have really not shown any sort of leadership at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Cant beat a real competition. A lot of clubs have planned for comps from next week so very unfair to clubs. GUI have really not shown any sort of leadership at all.

Agreed, they come across as a bunch of yes men with no balls, absolutely stupid decision especially when a load of mini comps are going on throughout clubs, I think clubs should withhold the affiliation fee from GUI as a protest

Welcome to how Sport Ireland works folks. By diktat and not by consensus. There are around 15 sporting bodies not 'recognised' by Sport Ireland. Recognised in this context means not receiving grants. When they approached Sport Ireland for direction on how to safely resume, they were told to PFO. Obvious response to this was "well, we'll do our own thing then". They were then 'invited' to submit their plans.

This is a bad decision. I know its only another 3 or so weeks but we are entering the summer and clubs need money. I dont see a good enough reason for this in terms of the virus. It seems a more political reason. Trying not to upset other sports that cant resume yet

• Advertisement

The whole wording of the announcement even.

Opening with how we are privileged to go back to playing early in the opening phases. Implying thats down to their great negotiation skills. Nothing to do at all with the fact that we're just privileged and lucky to have a playing field the size of several soccer pitches for a small group of players.
    Had they not been able to negotiate something from that position it would have been outright poor. I thought even the protocol for return to golf as it stood originally was full of political concessions that had no bearing on the actual emergency.

Come out with such a poor result 5 minutes before 12 and pat yourself on the back in the same announcement. The mind boggles.

What's needed it for every club to refuse to pay the gui sub in 2021. They cant suspend all clubs.
    Are clubs willing to go that far in protest?

This is a bad decision. I know its only another 3 or so weeks but we are entering the summer and clubs need money. I dont see a good enough reason for this in terms of the virus. It seems a more political reason. Trying not to upset other sports that cant resume yet
    No. It literally is Sport Ireland not wanting other sports hassling them with "But golf...". They have all sports over a barrel because they dole out the money.

I can almost guarantee it.

Edit: How you deal with this btw, is deluge Shane Ross with emails of complaint. Absolutely bury him in them. Sport Ireland might not want hassle from other sports, but they certainly don't want hassle from the minister.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

prawnsambo wrote: »
    No. It literally is Sport Ireland not wanting other sports hassling them with "But golf...". They have all sports over a barrel because they dole out the money.

I can almost guarantee it.

Edit: How you deal with this btw, is deluge Shane Ross with emails of complaint. Absolutely bury him in them. Sport Ireland might not want hassle from other sports, but they certainly don't want hassle from the minister.

I'm not sure the outgoing Minister for Sport is going to get too buried by anything. He had little to no interest in sport to begin his tenure and I can't see him doing much now. I think you're greatly overestimating his interest in this matter.

It's 3 weeks, it's a little annoying. I'd feel for those who have worked hard to get things in line from a club front but it's not the end of the world.

PARlance wrote: »
    I'm not sure the outgoing Minister for Sport is going to get too buried by anything. He had little to no interest in sport to begin his tenure and I can't see him doing much now. I think you're greatly overestimating his interest in this matter.

It's 3 weeks, it's a little annoying. I'd feel for those who have worked hard to get things in line from a club front but it's not the end of the world.
    No, I had thought of that, but by the same token, he's got nothing to lose. But he probably doesn't have the backbone required unfortunately. Just pointing out the obvious route to take for people who are incensed by this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement