Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Las Vegas Raiders Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭eire4

Lads, in a rare moment of off topicness, can I take this opportunity to wish you all a very happy christmas? As Raiders fans we plough a bit of a lonely furrow, being a team that is existing on past glories as opposed to current success but its nice knowing that I'm not the only deluded lunatic out there. This year has been mental. I got COVID back in early March (I gig in a Band and went down with it following a gig in a Malahide venue that was crawling with Italians the weekend of the cancelled Rugby match) and, although I have a day job, my weekends have never been as quiet in 20 years! And December is the same. So American Football has certainly helped me stop going insane and I do enjoy logging on every Monday or Tuesday to see what you guys thought of our latest win/loss. So thank you! And may you all have a very happy christmas! Now back to the matter at hand..... :)

Sorry to read there that you got sick last March. Hopefully your recovery was 100% though and that 2021 is a much much better year for yourself and family. Sport really gets put into perspective when you think about peoples health and lives. As for the Raiders lets hope for a win to at least finish 8-8 with a win over the Broncos to sign off on.
    I agree with you on Ruggs unfortunately for a first round pick unless he really steps up in year 2 simply not good enough not a total bust but certainly no where near the level he needs to be at. Biggest issues though IMHO overall remain very much on defence a lot of work to do there. Hopefully by the time next season rolls around fans will be back and Gruden and Maycock have a better draft and off season. This team is not a million miles off being a decent side but I feel this offseason is pivotal. Will the team kick on and become a playoff team or will it be back to the misery that has all to often been the norm. One thing is for sure nobody can call any of us bandwagoners or fair weather fans when it comes to the Raiders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭golfball37

Some finish here in mile high. Summed up our season. Gave away the biggest pass play in the league all season. Scored and messed up the formation for the 2 point attempt only for Denver to call a time out and save us. Converted and still allowed them a big play with 20 secs left to get into FG range.
    We only go and block the FG then. Never dull anyway. Onwards and upwards.

Gruden has a big job on his hands with that defense

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

I saw the end of the game on Redzone and I honestly have no idea what Fangio was doing. We were 4th and goal and couldnt get into formation when suddenly the Broncos call a Timeout!! A win is a win though and at least the season isnt a losing one.

Positives for me from the Season:

1. The Offense is capable of playing well (to a point). We have a receiving corps and a good running back but the Red Zone play calling is killing us

2. Carr is our QB. End of.

3. Waller is turning into an amazing player and Agholor has been a real find. Now to tie him down to a long term contract.

Negatives
    1. The Defense and yet again we are at the end of a season where the D needs a complete overhaul. The problems are obvious and leads into my next point:

2. Management need to improve in the areas of Free Agents and drafting. So the Defensive side of the ball was supposedly addressed in Free Agency and the Draft but boy did that fall flat on its face. Mayock and Gruden need to step up in identifying suitable players who fit the Defensive Scheme. Arnette and Abram are 2 first round draftees who have yet to make good on their promise. Ferrell is not working out either. Perhaps a new Defensive Co-ordinator will utilise these unpolished gems but the incoming D Co-ordinator has his work cut out.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Kev8360

golfball37 wrote: »
    Some finish here in mile high. Summed up our season. Gave away the biggest pass play in the league all season. Scored and messed up the formation for the 2 point attempt only for Denver to call a time out and save us. Converted and still allowed them a big play with 20 secs left to get into FG range.
    We only go and block the FG then. Never dull anyway. Onwards and upwards.

Gruden has a big job on his hands with that defense

I have to admit I turned off the game when Jeudy scored the TD and watched the end of the Titans and Texans so I missed the late drama. Will have to watch the last few minutes on gamepass tonight as the highlights didnt do it justice from what I am hearing.

I saw the end of the game on Redzone and I honestly have no idea what Fangio was doing. We were 4th and goal and couldnt get into formation when suddenly the Broncos call a Timeout!! A win is a win though and at least the season isnt a losing one.

Positives for me from the Season:

1. The Offense is capable of playing well (to a point). We have a receiving corps and a good running back but the Red Zone play calling is killing us

2. Carr is our QB. End of.

3. Waller is turning into an amazing player and Agholor has been a real find. Now to tie him down to a long term contract.

Negatives
    1. The Defense and yet again we are at the end of a season where the D needs a complete overhaul. The problems are obvious and leads into my next point:

2. Management need to improve in the areas of Free Agents and drafting. So the Defensive side of the ball was supposedly addressed in Free Agency and the Draft but boy did that fall flat on its face. Mayock and Gruden need to step up in identifying suitable players who fit the Defensive Scheme. Arnette and Abram are 2 first round draftees who have yet to make good on their promise. Ferrell is not working out either. Perhaps a new Defensive Co-ordinator will utilise these unpolished gems but the incoming D Co-ordinator has his work cut out.

Agree with what your saying there. Excellent post. A big off season ahead. If the defence can be improved significantly there is a not just a playoff team there but a dangerous one. Unfortunately I do not really have much confidence that the right moves and recruitment will be made to upgrade the defence anywhere near enough. We will see I hope I am wrong but I am not getting my hopes up.

eire4 wrote: »
    Agree with what your saying there. Excellent post. A big off season ahead. If the defence can be improved significantly there is a not just a playoff team there but a dangerous one. Unfortunately I do not really have much confidence that the right moves and recruitment will be made to upgrade the defence anywhere near enough. We will see I hope I am wrong but I am not getting my hopes up.

number 1 priority is to get in some quality at defensive coordinator. next year will be much tougher with Herbert and Mahomes in the division.

Kev8360 wrote: »
    number 1 priority is to get in some quality at defensive coordinator. next year will be much tougher with Herbert and Mahomes in the division.
    Apparently the Raiders have officially sought permission to speak to Gus Bradley, the Chargers DC, now Lynn has been fired as that team's Head Coach. Another name that has reared its head on the Grapevine is Wade Philips.

Yup, the D is going to need a serious overhaul in the offseason, and I dont think we have too much cap space to play with this time.

Apparently the Raiders have officially sought permission to speak to Gus Bradley, the Chargers DC, now Lynn has been fired as that team's Head Coach. Another name that has reared its head on the Grapevine is Wade Philips.

I believe the Gus Bradley rumour over Wade Phillips - Gruden has worked with him in the past in Tampa Bay when he was the linebacker coach.

He has done well in Seattle and San Diego as DC so would be definitely worth seeing what he can bring if true.

Regardless of whoever it is we also need to add a some impact players to get the defense going in the right direction.

Yup, the D is going to need a serious overhaul in the offseason, and I dont think we have too much cap space to play with this time.

Right on both counts you are. Really need to go defensive with the number 17 pick and make it a hit for a start plus try and find at least 1-2 other players in the draft who can come in and upgrade the defence for starters.

• Advertisement

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/las-vegas-raiders/cap/2021/

Turns out Mayock has some financial acrobatics to perform!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

Mayock can easily get the cap situation under control, they'll cut Tyrell Williams, who didn't play this year, counts $11.6m against next years cap and has no dead money, if necessary they could replace Marcus Mariota, who counts $10.725m(way too much for a backup QB) and also has no dead money, you could free up $9m by releasing LaMarcus Joyner, free up $6.35m if you release Richie Incognito or if he retires, and finally you could release Trent Brown(who has missed as many games as he has played over the past two seasons), which would free up a further $14m with no dead money. Gabe Jackson also counts $9.6m against the cap and could be replaced, as could Jalen Richard, who is expensive at $3.5m for the 3rd RB and has no dead money either.

I know you'd have to replace them, if you cut them and that costs, but Bryan Edwards has already replaced Williams, you could find a cheaper backup that Mariota, Brown hardly plays and Incognito may not return at age 38, Joyner has struggled but could benefit from a new D Coordinator, while Jackson hasn't really played up to his salary level and Richard didn't have the best year. If they release all 7 players, they would have $47.3m in cap space, with only Joyner and Jackson having had significant playing time this year.

More alarming than their cap situation is the suggestion that Joe Barry is one of the contenders for the Raiders defensive coordinator position. He is the son in law of Rod Marinelli,is the current Rams linebacker coach and has served as D-Coordinator of the Lions including the 2008 season when they went 0-16 and also the Washington Football team, where he was fired after the 2016 season when they finished 29th on total defence !!!

heyjude wrote: »
    Mayock can easily get the cap situation under control, they'll cut Tyrell Williams, who didn't play this year, counts $11.6m against next years cap and has no dead money, if necessary they could replace Marcus Mariota, who counts $10.725m(way too much for a backup QB) and also has no dead money, you could free up $9m by releasing LaMarcus Joyner, free up $6.35m if you release Richie Incognito or if he retires, and finally you could release Trent Brown(who has missed as many games as he has played over the past two seasons), which would free up a further $14m with no dead money. Gabe Jackson also counts $9.6m against the cap and could be replaced, as could Jalen Richard, who is expensive at $3.5m for the 3rd RB and has no dead money either.

I know you'd have to replace them, if you cut them and that costs, but Bryan Edwards has already replaced Williams, you could find a cheaper backup that Mariota, Brown hardly plays and Incognito may not return at age 38, Joyner has struggled but could benefit from a new D Coordinator, while Jackson hasn't really played up to his salary level and Richard didn't have the best year. If they release all 7 players, they would have $47.3m in cap space, with only Joyner and Jackson having had significant playing time this year.

More alarming than their cap situation is the suggestion that Joe Barry is one of the contenders for the Raiders defensive coordinator position. He is the son in law of Rod Marinelli,is the current Rams linebacker coach and has served as D-Coordinator of the Lions including the 2008 season when they went 0-16 and also the Washington Football team, where he was fired after the 2016 season when they finished 29th on total defence !!!

Agreed on all the cuts/retire/release options you have above , but don't be shocked if we trade Derek Carr and go with Mariota instead - if they can get a high 1st rounder for him they could be tempted. They have done it with Mack and Cooper already.

Also hiring the current DCs son-in-law? c'mon guys please don't be that team! There are a lot more worthy candidates out there.

Agreed on all the cuts/retire/release options you have above , but don't be shocked if we trade Derek Carr and go with Mariota instead - if they can get a high 1st rounder for him they could be tempted. They have done it with Mack and Cooper already.

Also hiring the current DCs son-in-law? c'mon guys please don't be that team! There are a lot more worthy candidates out there.
    Dont forget lads, we are the team that drafted Darrius Heyward Bey after he ran a fast 40 yards at the Combine!!! LOL! We are capable of anything!!

Dont forget lads, we are the team that drafted Darrius Heyward Bey after he ran a fast 40 yards at the Combine!!! LOL! We are capable of anything!!

I'll raise Your Heyward Bay with a JaMarcus Russell!

I'll raise Your Heyward Bay with a JaMarcus Russell!
    And indeed you win! I had thought about it but thought its the low hanging fruit! But you are right, he is the pinnacle of our disastrous drafting.

And indeed you win! I had thought about it but thought its the low hanging fruit! But you are right, he is the pinnacle of our disastrous drafting.

To be fair both were utter disasters and the dogs in the street were shaking their heads when they were drafted as it was blatantly obviously neither deserved to be picked anywhere near that high at all but I'll take the win:)

Gus Bradley named DC. Chargers didn't pull up any trees on defence the last 4 years under him but he has history with Gruden and done an amazing job in Seattle, albeit with some great players. Its a good appointment and certainly better than Joe Barry.

I saw tomorrows' Superbowl being referred to on a Raiders fan group as the Irrelevant Bowl and I certainly feel that as a Raiders fan, for the second year in a row we've been left with nobody to cheer for. Oakland fans could never cheer for either the 49ers or Chiefs.

This year we have an equally unsavoury choice - Antonio Brown & Tom Brady or the Kansas City Chiefs.

I'm leaning towards the Chiefs, the idea of Tom 'Tuck Rule' Brady or Antonio 'Ice Feet/Misfitting Helmet' Brown claiming the Lombardi is too awful to contemplate, especially since Brown should still have been a Raider(and still cost us third and fifth round draft picks).

• Advertisement

I saw tomorrows' Superbowl being referred to on a Raiders fan group as the Irrelevant Bowl and I certainly feel that as a Raiders fan, for the second year in a row we've been left with nobody to cheer for. Oakland fans could never cheer for either the 49ers or Chiefs.

This year we have an equally unsavoury choice - Antonio Brown & Tom Brady or the Kansas City Chiefs.

I'm leaning towards the Chiefs, the idea of Tom 'Tuck Rule' Brady or Antonio 'Ice Feet/Misfitting Helmet' Brown claiming the Lombardi is too awful to contemplate, especially since Brown should still have been a Raider(and still cost us third and fifth round draft picks).

We beat the Chiefs and almost repeated. Never disliked them as much as Denver or Chargers in division terms so I hope they win. Not bothered either way though. As long as Brown does nothing

Welcome to the hall of fame Tom Flores and Charles Woodson!

Delighted for Flores and Woodson, especially Flores. Whatever about Woodson, Flores window of opportunity was closing fast. A wrong has been righted.
    Now, as for last night's affair, the Chiefs now know what its like to face Tampa in the Superbowl!! As Heyjude referred to, its a match that we cuouldnt really cheer for, but I'll take Mahomes and the Chiefs over Brown anyday. I dont include Brady in that because whatever antipathy I feel toward him there's no denying that he is the GOAT. But Brown is utterly classless.

Lads, again we are in an offseason and again Derek Carr is going to every team in the NFL. And apparently we are going to move mountains towards getting DeShaun Watson, is anyone else utterly alarmed that we are over the cap, and seem to be transfixed on upgrading the wrong side of the ball??

Delighted for Flores and Woodson, especially Flores. Whatever about Woodson, Flores window of opportunity was closing fast. A wrong has been righted.
    Now, as for last night's affair, the Chiefs now know what its like to face Tampa in the Superbowl!! As Heyjude referred to, its a match that we cuouldnt really cheer for, but I'll take Mahomes and the Chiefs over Brown anyday. I dont include Brady in that because whatever antipathy I feel toward him there's no denying that he is the GOAT. But Brown is utterly classless.

Lads, again we are in an offseason and again Derek Carr is going to every team in the NFL. And apparently we are going to move mountains towards getting DeShaun Watson, is anyone else utterly alarmed that we are over the cap, and seem to be transfixed on upgrading the wrong side of the ball??

Totally agree with you there. Just like this time last year. I said 100% almost all the issues are on the defensive side of the ball and that is where the first round pick and main off season focus should be. As for QB Derek Carr is not Aaron Rodgers yes but he is a very decent QB and that is basically the last area of the team that needs addressing.

[HTML][/HTML]
    Totally agree with you there. Just like this time last year. I said 100% almost all the issues are on the defensive side of the ball and that is where the first round pick and main off season focus should be. As for QB Derek Carr is not Aaron Rodgers yes but he is a very decent QB and that is basically the last area of the team that needs addressing.
    I dont know of any other Quarterback who has spent his entire career being one game away from always having his abilities questioned.

[HTML][/HTML]I dont know of any other Quarterback who has spent his entire career being one game away from always having his abilities questioned.

Certainly not with the stats that Carr has put up.

• Advertisement

[HTML][/HTML]I dont know of any other Quarterback who has spent his entire career being one game away from always having his abilities questioned.

It is crazy really. I just don't get it as his performances overall have been pretty decent and certainly for all the problems the Raiders have had in the past 6 years while Carr has been the QB his performances and level of play are barely a blip on the radar IMHO.

It is crazy really. I just don't get it as his performances overall have been pretty decent and certainly for all the problems the Raiders have had in the past 6 years while Carr has been the QB his performances and level of play are barely a blip on the radar IMHO.
    I was reading an article on Bleacher Report about Best landing Spots for top trade targets and, of course, Carr was listed on it as going to Chicago for a first round pick in 21, a first round pick in 22 and Nick Foles coming to us and one of the rationales given was that Chicago were open to doing deals with Las Vegas because of the Khalil Mack Trade! If thats the case, we're going to get Tyreek Hill from the Chiefs because we have a history due to the Marcus Allen trade!! :D:D (Bit overdramatic but you get my point). 90% of all articles at this stage are clickbait but I'm genuinely tired of this with Carr.

I was reading an article on Bleacher Report about Best landing Spots for top trade targets and, of course, Carr was listed on it as going to Chicago for a first round pick in 21, a first round pick in 22 and Nick Foles coming to us and one of the rationales given was that Chicago were open to doing deals with Las Vegas because of the Khalil Mack Trade! If thats the case, we're going to get Tyreek Hill from the Chiefs because we have a history due to the Marcus Allen trade!! :D:D (Bit overdramatic but you get my point). 90% of all articles at this stage are clickbait but I'm genuinely tired of this with Carr.

Yep between now and the draft the trade rumours will fly around given some of the QBs that are looking for trades. LaCanfora,Schefter and the like will have their insider scoops spewing out like crazy.

I hate this part of the off season as random gossip and speculation comes out all the time.

So very true click bait rubbish. But at the same time so tiresome given that anyone with even a passing knowledge of the Raiders team knows that QB is not even on the radar for an upgrade or change of direction when it comes to the issues the team has.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Yep. Same old same old.

Another way of looking at that is that if he's worth 2 first rounders and a serviceable QB in a trade then he's a stud and should be kept a hold of.

In reality we know he's not. But he's sure as hell not the reason for a lack of playoff appearances.

• Advertisement

As per NFL Network Tyrell Williams is expected to be released. Thats 10 Million or so off the Salary Cap right there. He hasnt been a contributor much the last 2 seasons so its not a big deal. https://www.nfl.com/news/raiders-planning-to-release-wr-tyrell-williams-at-start-of-new-league-year

As per NFL Network Tyrell Williams is expected to be released. Thats 10 Million or so off the Salary Cap right there. He hasnt been a contributor much the last 2 seasons so its not a big deal. https://www.nfl.com/news/raiders-planning-to-release-wr-tyrell-williams-at-start-of-new-league-year

No sadly he didn't. In fairness this was a signing that looked right on paper and promised to be a good one initially but it just has not worked out with all his injuries so time to move on.

We've officially cut Tyrell Williams. We avoid an 11 million cap hit this season and next season. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2933362-tyrell-williams-released-by-raiders-2-years-into-443-million-contract

I see Russell Wilson listed the Raiders as one of the four teams he’d only leave Seattle for should they trade him.

golfball37 wrote: »
    I see Russell Wilson listed the Raiders as one of the four teams he’d only leave Seattle for should they trade him.

I did not see that. What is his connection to/liking of the Raiders do you know?

Bleacher Report has it - but to be honest it's surely clickbait with regard to us, how many draft picks would we likely have to surrender in order to make that trade? We'd be in the same boat as Chicago trading for Mack!

Bleacher Report has it - but to be honest it's surely clickbait with regard to us, how many draft picks would we likely have to surrender in order to make that trade? We'd be in the same boat as Chicago trading for Mack!

Agreed its clickbait - also most likely it his agent posturing to get him in a better position with Seattle to either get more money or have more roster influence by making it look as if he is seriously weighing up options.

Either way my money is on him under center for the seahawks next year as all the teams mentioned are not likely to be in a postion to trade for him without serious compromises to their current roster.

Agreed its clickbait - also most likely it his agent posturing to get him in a better position with Seattle to either get more money or have more roster influence by making it look as if he is seriously weighing up options.

Either way my money is on him under center for the seahawks next year as all the teams mentioned are not likely to be in a postion to trade for him without serious compromises to their current roster.
    If Gruden has any shread of managerial acumen, its Defense DEFENSE DEFENSE all the way through the offseason and draft (with a side order of receiving and O-Line!) Carr has never worked with a top tier Defense to get him back on the field to control a game. The offense is decent enough but if the Defense can be strengthened we'd be a serious contender.

If Gruden has any shread of managerial acumen, its Defense DEFENSE DEFENSE all the way through the offseason and draft (with a side order of receiving and O-Line!) Carr has never worked with a top tier Defense to get him back on the field to control a game. The offense is decent enough but if the Defense can be strengthened we'd be a serious contender.

Totally agree and as we have said before QB is the last position we need to address. It is for the most part or should be all about the defensive this offseason.

I see NFL.com is reporting that the Raiders are going to trade Trent Brown back to the Patriots. Brown has agreed to reword his contract but the Raiders side of the deal is not disclosed yet! https://www.nfl.com/news/raiders-ot-trent-brown-expected-to-be-traded-to-patriots

This will certainly free up a bit of cap space, along with Joyner being released. What that means for next season's offensive line is anyone's guess. With Jackson, Incognito and now Brown going, what was a position of strength is now very unclear.

• Advertisement

Its probably just the result of agent talk and media speculation, but the Raiders are strong favourites to sign JuJu Smith Schuster.

Please, oh please, oh please, let this not be true. You'd think by now they'd have learned after signing Martavius Bryant and Antonio Brown that the Steelers let receivers go for a good reason.

Schuster was at his best when playing opposite AB, he'd be a borderline No 1 receiver at best, but will expect to get paid like he's an All Pro.

Its probably just the result of agent talk and media speculation, but the Raiders are strong favourites to sign JuJu Smith Schuster.

Please, oh please, oh please, let this not be true. You'd think by now they'd have learned after signing Martavius Bryant and Antonio Brown that the Steelers let receivers go for a good reason.

Schuster was at his best when playing opposite AB, he'd be a borderline No 1 receiver at best, but will expect to get paid like he's an All Pro.
    I've always had an antipathy towards the Steelers, they are the one team in the NFL I openly dislike although as an organisation they are excellent. I agree that the Steelers let people go for a reason and I dont see this being a great acquisition.

Jesus Christ. I sure hope there is a logical plan being followed here, but I can't see it....��

So from what I can see....
    OUT:
    Rodney Hudson
    Gabe Jackson
    Trent Brown
    Nelson Aghalor
    Deontae Booker
    Maliek Collins

IN:
    John Brown
    Yannick Ngakoue

Man our offense and more importantly our O-line has been shredded. John Brown is a decent WR so I think the loss of Aghalor might not be too bad but if I was derek carr I would be worried about pass protection next year unless there is a masterplan at play that I don't understand.

Best guess is trying to save money on the o-line by going younger to improve the Defense. I would expect our draft class to be full of line position choices and free agent defense players coming in but who knows.

You can add Kenyan Drake to that list of additions, Kev. Signed on a 2 year deal.

And 49ers DT Solomon Thomas now as well. Looks like the next few days will be busy all across the league.

Marcus Mariota reworked his contract from 10million guaranteed down to 3.5million. Strange decision - maybe this is a way for them to get more interest in a trade ? If not it is a very unusual move by a player to walk away from that much money. I hope we do hold onto him now though as he proved a very reliable option if Derek Carr is injured.

Marcus Mariota reworked his contract from 10million guaranteed down to 3.5million. Strange decision - maybe this is a way for them to get more interest in a trade ? If not it is a very unusual move by a player to walk away from that much money. I hope we do hold onto him now though as he proved a very reliable option if Derek Carr is injured.
    I hope so too, Kev. Possibly the best backup in the league??

Yeah it's probably between him and Taysom Hill depending on how his situation works out this year, although Hill is more of a utility player.

• Advertisement

Arguably he is yes. Certainly no way the Raiders could do better at QB then Carr as starter and Mariotta as backup.

Advertisement