Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2019 - Round 5 - Spain

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

A handful of overtakes in the midfield. Less than 5. And not a move threatened elsewhere. What a joke. The sport is a dead duck. Even if Ferrari and Mercedes were toe to toe, the field has only about 5-6 different competitors with the B teams. all boring homogenous bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭Inviere

Crofty trying his utmost to convince viewers that was a great two hours. What a moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,052 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Inviere wrote: »
    What was there to neutralise? :confused:

Well it took away any variation in pit stops but yes probably wouldn't have mattered

Well it took away any variation in pit stops but yes probably wouldn't have mattered

I think Lewis had 20+ seconds on Bottas, who had a decent gap to Max, and so forth. True it gave them all a free stop as such, but they were all well into the tire minding stages by then anyway.

Crofty trying his utmost to convince viewers that was a great two hours. What a moron.

Seems to be a common thread throughout sky coverage lately. I had to laugh at the pit updates with absolutely no news. Trying desperately to justify their existence. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

End of race and only 67 posts in the thread for the weekend. Says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I just watched it there, actually fell asleep

flazio wrote: »
    End of race and only 67 posts in the thread for the weekend. Says it all really.

Aye. Saw about the first half hour, missed quali yesterday. Knew when making plans for the weekend I'd miss almost all of it which is very rare for me unless they're big plans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

You know it's bad when the highlights put you to sleep. First time since 1995 that I'm not bothered to watch every race of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

Was at the hurling today so didn't see this. Was going to ask if worth watching but the posts above gave me my answer :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I couldn't watch it properly today.
    Saw a glimpse of Hamiltons tyres being fecked at one stage.
    Did bottas tyre go the same way?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭quokula

Aye. Saw about the first half hour, missed quali yesterday. Knew when making plans for the weekend I'd miss almost all of it which is very rare for me unless they're big plans.

Same here. It was only a few years ago that I'd plan my weekends around the GP sessions, but these days I don't bother with qualifying at all and if something comes up on Sunday that means I miss the race so be it. Sport hasn't been the same since they ruined it in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

mickdw wrote: »
    I couldn't watch it properly today.
    Saw a glimpse of Hamiltons tyres being fecked at one stage.
    Did bottas tyre go the same way?

Hamilton got lucky with the safety car timing, and Bottas had just pitted before the incident. As soon as the safety car was deployed Hamilton came in. Hamilton lead the race lights-to-flag.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭weekaizer

Formula mess. The most excitement in f1 these days is what happens away from the track. Netflix series, driver changes, teams swapping engines, new circuits etc. It’s becoming so cringey watching the pundits on sky and c4 trying to make this season seem any way interesting. Hamilton will walk this title with about 4-5 races to go. Bottas may have upped his game a bit this year but over the course of the season he won’t be strong enough to give Lewis a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Just watched the race. Did not think it was that bad. Maybe if I had been watching it live ok maybe but the highlights are great and C4 too at just showing whats needed. We got a good first lap battle between three drivers and it did get a little bring then maybe but after the safety car I thought there was plenty of racing in the midfield and the two Ferrari drivers battling it out too. Yes I agree Mercedes winning all the time and dominating is boring and Ferrari seem to be lost but otherwise it was an ok race.

I think Bottas will win in Monaco.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I'm completely bored of the season and it's only 5 races in, sick of the Mercedes one two. Not too bothered seeing any of the coverage these days

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Complete joke of a season so far, the top 5 in todays race has been the same at every other race so far, just in different positions.

I used to love F1, but I really am now struggling to justify watching it. Merc are on a different planet right now, five 1-2 finishes in the first 5 races. Ferrari are almost like they were pre-Schumacher. RB are impressive with the performances so far but are nowhere near the front. Then its the fight for the rest.

Failing to see the point really, I don't hold anything against Crofty or Brundle (or Sky etc), they have to try and sell this. If they said at the end of lap 1 "We'll, that looks like that then, put the kettle on" everyone would turn off.

To me as well, there is no interest in any of these drivers for me either, Hamiltons social media feed is like a war crime of clothing, and the rest are a tad boring, Ricciardo perhaps but he is struggling for points lower down now. You will also see articles like "Mercedes made it look easy, but not everything was as it seems" as the title after weekends to try and hold on to people thinking there is a chance of a battle. It's pretty much clickbait now.

It used to be that you needed to be in a Mercedes or a Ferrari to be in with a shout, now its just the Mercedes

AMKC wrote: »
    Just watched the race. Did not think it was that bad. Maybe if I had been watching it live ok maybe but the highlights are great and C4 too at just showing whats needed. We got a good first lap battle between three drivers and it did get a little bring then maybe but after the safety car I thought there was plenty of racing in the midfield and the two Ferrari drivers battling it out too. Yes I agree Mercedes winning all the time and dominating is boring and Ferrari seem to be lost but otherwise it was an ok race.

The Ferrari "battle" was on the radio between driver and pit wall!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

AMKC wrote: »

The safety car closed the field up. Otherwise midfield would have been as dead as the front. Nothing happened for 40 odd laps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Nic_Col

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    The safety car closed the field up. Otherwise midfield would have been as dead as the front. Nothing happened for 40 odd laps.

It gave a brief glimpse of hope. Didn't take long for that hope to fade away after the restart.

• Advertisement

astrofluff wrote: »
    Hamilton got lucky with the safety car timing

Did he? He had 25/30 seconds on Bottas, plenty in reserve, and there was what, 15 laps to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Has F1 ever been more boring? Someone will surely say yes, but what's the point of watching any more races this season?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Has F1 ever been more boring? Someone will surely say yes, but what's the point of watching any more races this season?

At least when it was boring before, the cars sounded great.

The Schumacher dominated era is the last long stint of one driver winning all round him and even then it wasn't a walk in the park. McLaren, Williams and Renault all brought good racing. There was a very brief period where nobody could touch him but even then it was nothing like this. There was always a threat and the chance of something going wrong was always there. Now the cars almost always make it to the end and once they get round the first corner you might as well be looking at traffic on the M50

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Did he? He had 25/30 seconds on Bottas, plenty in reserve, and there was what, 15 laps to go?

Was that not because Bottas had pitted the lap or two before the SC came out?

Was that not because Bottas had pitted the lap or two before the SC came out?

Yes he did, but Lewis had more than enough in the tires to offset/manage Bottas on fresh tires for 12 laps or so. Plus it's not as if Merc would have allowed them to fight anyway, not at that late stage in the race. The race was won at the first corner of the first lap, as depressing as that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

the only highlight of the weekend

https://streamable.com/47nxa

That was a great over take

• Registered Users Posts: 23,280 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Surely new versus old tyres?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Inviere wrote:
    Yes he did, but Lewis had more than enough in the tires to offset/manage Bottas on fresh tires for 12 laps or so. Plus it's not as if Merc would have allowed them to fight anyway, not at that late stage in the race. The race was won at the first corner of the first lap, as depressing as that is.

Bottas should be doing a lot more with the car he has at his disposal. Rosberg, who was a mediocre driver lacking in many basic skills, still had enough about him to win a world title. It would be great to see two "big beasts" like Hamilton and Verstappen or Vettel driving for the same team.

• Advertisement

chicorytip wrote: »
    Bottas should be doing a lot more with the car he has at his disposal. Rosberg, who was a mediocre driver lacking in many basic skills, still had enough about him to win a world title. It would be great to see two "big beasts" like Hamilton and Verstappen or Vettel driving for the same team.

Hamilton v Verstappen would be great, especially given Verstappen's petulance. If I were Mercedes I wouldn't risk it though, they have enough to win both championships as it is, no need to introduce unnecessary heartache.

Advertisement