Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Rugby and Sevens

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Anyone playing 7s this summer?
    Will try referee at one tournament or another if i can find the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

IRELAND MEN’S SEVENS Squad (World Rugby Sevens Series – London 7s, Twickenham Stadium, London, Saturday, May 25th & Sunday May 26th)
    Jordan Conroy (Tullamore RFC/Buccaneers)
    Jack Daly (Castleisland RFC/Garryowen/Munster) *
    Billy Dardis (Terenure College/Terenure College) Captain
    Foster Horan (Kilkenny College/Lansdowne)
    Jack Kelly (St. Michaels College/Dublin University/Leinster) *
    Terry Kennedy (St. Mary’s College/St. Mary’s College)
    Adam Leavy (St. Michaels College/Lansdowne)
    Hugo Lennox (Skerries RFC/Clontarf)
    Mick McGrath (CUS/Clontarf)
    Harry McNulty (Rockwell College/UCD)
    Bryan Mollen (Blackrock College/Blackrock College)
    Peter Sullivan (St. Andrews College/Lansdowne)*
    Mark Roche (Blackrock College/Blackrock College)

we have eng nz and scos in our pool ,should be fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

I had no idea the 7s guys were only on €18k. That's awful. It's below minimum wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

Ireland are going to field a team in RugbyX made up of 7s team so hopefully a few more quid for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

troyzer wrote: »
    I had no idea the 7s guys were only on €18k. That's awful. It's below minimum wage.

doesnt take up the whole year though, id imagine that would increase when Ireland are in the series next year?? or are they making that next year?

And to be fair to be paid 18k to fly around the world playing rugby in the sun is hardly working in the coal mines lol

doesnt take up the whole year though, id imagine that would increase when Ireland are in the series next year?? or are they making that next year?

And to be fair to be paid 18k to fly around the world playing rugby in the sun is hardly working in the coal mines lol

It's a full time job and the figure is staying. That's why it's out there. Nucifora was doing the media rounds after his extension and was asked about the €18k and he said he doesn't want to raise it.

€18k isn't enough to live on in Dublin. You might be able to jet around but you couldn't be doing 7s for more than two or three years before you'd have to retire early.

It's a full time job and the figure is staying. That's why it's out there. Nucifora was doing the media rounds after his extension and was asked about the €18k and he said he doesn't want to raise it.

€18k isn't enough to live on in Dublin. You might be able to jet around but you couldn't be doing 7s for more than two or three years before you'd have to retire early.

I think the vast majority of players do only a couple years, and anyone who does longer is on a higher contract

I think the vast majority of players do only a couple years, and anyone who does longer is on a higher contract

If that's true there's no evidence of it.

I'd like to think the players are paid enough to make a bit of a career out of it. Because this is effectively a badly paid career break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,722 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Is that just a base salary and bonuses for appearances/places in tournaments though?

Edit: "It is understood that the players will receive bonuses of €500 for competing in each of the 10 World Series events, and €250 for other Grand Prix events, but even if a player avoided injury and competed in every event, the maximum he could earn in a year would be €23,750"

So it's still fairly low, but the bonuses bring it further inline with the basic bottom end salary of a lot of top tier nations like Scotland and New Zealand

• Advertisement

Is that just a base salary and bonuses for appearances/places in tournaments though?

Edit: "It is understood that the players will receive bonuses of €500 for competing in each of the 10 World Series events, and €250 for other Grand Prix events, but even if a player avoided injury and competed in every event, the maximum he could earn in a year would be €23,750"

So it's still fairly low, but the bonuses bring it further inline with the basic bottom end salary of a lot of top tier nations like Scotland and New Zealand

I would imagine academy players get more at the provinces, no?

I mean, even a non test player like Adam Byrne is probably making enough to fund half of the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I mean, even a non test player like Adam Byrne is probably making enough to fund half of the squad.

Dunno what exactly they're on now but academy players a few years ago were on €8,000 a year along with accommodation & food paid for - and it had just been brought up a fair bit at that stage.

It's possible the 7s players also have their food & lodgings paid I suppose, haven't looked into it or read the statement yet.

Academy players are on below minimum wage in most cases and as said in the article, they've lined the Sevens contracts up with development contracts as they feel it's still a developmental game for them.

It's a shame I can see us not lasting in the world series with that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Bazzo wrote: »
    Dunno what exactly they're on now but academy players a few years ago were on €8,000 a year along with accommodation & food paid for - and it had just been brought up a fair bit at that stage.

It's possible the 7s players also have their food & lodgings paid I suppose, haven't looked into it or read the statement yet.

They don't get their food and lodgings paid for and as far as I'm aware the players themselves were under the impression that their wages would rise quite a bit if they qualified for the world series so this could get messy if they don't. The IRFU are asking them for more commitment, more travel, at a higher level, with more money coming into the Union with no extra pay, that won't go down well if that's the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

On Sky Sports too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

New Zealand absolutely ferocious at the breakdown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Ireland match schedule for today:
    vs. England - 12:04
    vs. New Zealand - 14:48
    vs. Scotland - 17:54

Ireland look really good here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Conroy a nervous wreck.

• Advertisement

Solid win. Conroy very poor though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Great win Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

troyzer wrote:
    Solid win. Conroy very poor though.

Hope he'll learn from that.

Ah lads. Love this team.

Beating England 2 years in a row in England is a serious statement really hope they can keep this team together

Honestly though. We'd be much better off letting England win it and try qualify for the Olympics!

Beating England 2 years in a row in England is a serious statement really hope they can keep this team together

If they don't up their pay they won't.

D14Rugby wrote: »
    If they don't up their pay they won't.

Don't really see how the IRFU can justify it as a 'developmental game' any more when the team is performing at the top level and winning against tier 1 nations.

Don't really see how the IRFU can justify it as a 'developmental game' any more when the team is performing at the top level and winning against tier 1 nations.

They can't justify it. They expect the likes of Dardis to turn down advances from foreign clubs for basically no money, Nucifora is just exploiting the Irish want to play for and in Ireland that is ingrained in irish Rugby and was a strength but he's beginning to use it as a weapon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

They can't justify it. They expect the likes of Dardis to turn down advances from foreign clubs for basically no money, Nucifora is just exploiting the Irish want to play for and in Ireland that is ingrained in irish Rugby and was a strength but he's beginning to use it as a weapon.

Let’s take a step back. They have been funded to achieve World Series status. They will undoubtedly see a significant bump as World Series funding and increased sponsorship kicks in.
    Until a short while ago these guys were playing in the European sevens series which to be frank is similar level to where our international basketball team is.
    Sevens is a drain on resources and whatever commitment we make comes at the expense of women’s XV, AIL and the other aspects of the game. We should fund it, but let’s not kid ourselves these teams are ever going to be on top cash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

No one is saying they should be on top money. Just more than what they’re on now given the increase in standard and commitment it will require. It’s taking advantage of them to not.

If the irfu see it purely as a development team still given everything then fine I guess (although that would be fairly disappointing and disrespectful) as they’ll lose the best players to contracts elsewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

They're not a world series team until next year. Obviously they won't get pay increase until then.
    I thought they're current pay was a well know fact.

The players welfare union is currently working on getting pay increase.

They're not a world series team until next year. Obviously they won't get pay increase until then.

Nucifora was giving the impression that they want a full world series with the current pay levels before it's reviewed.

Presumably he wants the assurance that Ireland are competitive at the top level and can guarantee the revenue to support themselves to allow bigger contracts.

The issue is that Nucifora has said they won't get a salary increase, and has mooted suggestions from the squad of getting sponsorship for them.

At the start of this season, the players were attempting to hold out for a larger contract, but conceded on the word that if they reached the world series their contracts would be renegotiated and brought up to a higher standard required for a full time world series core team. But Nucifora and the IRFU are now saying this won't happen.

Let’s take a step back. They have been funded to achieve World Series status. They will undoubtedly see a significant bump as World Series funding and increased sponsorship kicks in.
    Until a short while ago these guys were playing in the European sevens series which to be frank is similar level to where our international basketball team is.
    Sevens is a drain on resources and whatever commitment we make comes at the expense of women’s XV, AIL and the other aspects of the game. We should fund it, but let’s not kid ourselves these teams are ever going to be on top cash

Nucifora has openly and conclusively said they won't see a pay increase despite the increased income.
    You're seriously underestimating how lucrative the main 7s circuit is.
    If anything it has been funded at the "expense" of the mens 15s team.

The issue is that Nucifora has said they won't get a salary increase, and has mooted suggestions from the squad of getting sponsorship for them.

At the start of this season, the players were attempting to hold out for a larger contract, but conceded on the word that if they reached the world series their contracts would be renegotiated and brought up to a higher standard required for a full time world series core team. But Nucifora and the IRFU are now saying this won't happen.
    Might change their mind when there's a walk out. Once there's the tiniest bit of media attention I can see them conceding.

Might change their mind when there's a walk out. Once there's the tiniest bit of media attention I can see them conceding.

The issue is, at that point you've already shown a serious level of disrespect to the players to force them to have to walk out and potentially miss a world series event, after telling them the season before they would be rewarded for their hard work after accepting a measly contract.

Some of the players have offers from abroad to play 15s or play with club side 7s teams. Why would they want to stay and represent a union that only decides to pay them a fair amount to save their own face from the media, and not because they value the players.

Well that was a nice piece of pathetic tackling.....

When you hear the rough number players were told they'd get a year ago if they qualified for the series and the number they're now being told they'll get, I'd be striking anyway.

• Advertisement

These lads are unplayable

Getting an absolute wake up call from New Zealand here

Getting an absolute wake up call from New Zealand here

Was much the same from I think it was Fiji last year in fairness id imaging those two and South Africa will be untouchable even on an offday until a team becomes seasoned

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

When you hear the rough number players were told they'd get a year ago if they qualified for the series and the number they're now being told they'll get, I'd be striking anyway.
    How much were they expecting to get?

guapos wrote: »
    How much were they expecting to get?

Well they're currently on a low end development contract and were expecting to basically move up a bracket to the equivalent of a basic provincial contract which is basically double it.
    Which when you consider the IRFU pay for absolutely nothing accommodation or travel wise for the world series events, and training is all in the NSC now so all the sponsorship money, prize money and funding just goes on kit and wages really it's not an unreasonable amount to expect considering the money they'll generate.
    Not allowing the players to get their own sponsorship is ridiculous too, a really poor way to run an organisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Max McFarland coming to haunt us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,946 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Conroy has unbelievable pace.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Conroy has unbelievable pace.

Some serious wheels on him, he's next level.

Phenomenal stuff here. What a way to close the group stages out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,946 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Nice we have a cup quarter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,578 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Some performance that

• Advertisement
Advertisement