Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guinness Pro14 Season 2018-2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭MaybeMaybe

You'd have to have a rule that requires a minimum number of appearances in regular season to allow you play in the finals series. Or something to that effect. Never going to happen though

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

errlloyd wrote: »
    I know. I said in the sentence after the one you highlighted that it was a reflection of reality.

Ha, so you did. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,129 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

MaybeMaybe wrote: »
    You'd have to have a rule that requires a minimum number of appearances in regular season to allow you play in the finals series. Or something to that effect. Never going to happen though

Injuries and 5 fixtures in International windows means that's not viable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I don't think anyone really cares tbh. If it's a nice way for some of the players in the weaker teams to get some recognition, then why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

I don't think anyone really cares tbh. If it's a nice way for some of the players in the weaker teams to get some recognition, then why not?

Because Munster fans use it as a reason to ignore criticism of POM.

That reason and that alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

troyzer wrote: »

No player is immune to criticism. Just comes down to whether it's deserved or proportional I guess

Eod100 wrote: »

No player is immune to criticism. Just comes down to whether it's deserved or proportional I guess

Well some people are claiming he shouldn't be on the plane. That's clearly undeserved.

At the same time, he's done approximately the square root of **** all since the All Blacks.

He's not the only one but he's got no work rate to keep him in the team when his big moments stop happening.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,994 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

He's not the only one but he's got no work rate to keep him in the team when his big moments stop happening.

I can be critical as the next guy re POM, but I think the issue here isnt his work rate... But more the lack of variation in the with he does.

He will hit rucks and present quick ball all day long, and he's particularly excellent at that. However at times when the munster front line defense is under the kosh (see saracens) he tends to stand off too much for my liking, looking to make the big play. For a 6 he's a big powerful guy, yet his carrying stats are notoriously poor.... Especially considering that the munster tight five aren't overly blessed with heavy carriers.... So much lands on stander and killers shoulders.

So I wouldn't be questioning his work rate... As his ruck stats are always top class... I just think he needs to develop his all round game better, which he absolutely can.

sydthebeat wrote: »

I can be critical as the next guy re POM, but I think the issue here isnt his work rate... But more the lack of variation in the with he does.

He will hit rucks and present quick ball all day long, and he's particularly excellent at that. However at times when the munster front line defense is under the kosh (see saracens) he tends to stand off too much for my liking, looking to make the big play. For a 6 he's a big powerful guy, yet his carrying stats are notoriously poor.... Especially considering that the munster tight five aren't overly blessed with heavy carriers.... So much lands on stander and killers shoulders.

So I wouldn't be questioning his work rate... As his ruck stats are always top class... I just think he needs to develop his all round game better, which he absolutely can.

Present quick ball? He never has more than a handful of carries a game, most of them negative. He can hit rucks, sure. But you need more from your forwards.

Prowling around looking for the jackal is precisely why he doesn't have huge tackle stats. That is a low work rate when it's not paying off with turnovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I'm sort of stuck on this one. On the one hand I think this team does reward players who deserve it. On the other hand, I don't think it sells the league very well when casual rugby fans read it and know basically no one, or fans of other leagues read it etc. I know it's a reflection of reality, but the league should just put its 15 best players down or nothing

How do you decide the "best" players?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the dream team as is. It's a nice overview of players who've done well in the league over the season. It doesn't have to be some sort of billboard to advertise the league, why would it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭degsie

Leinster :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,957 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Present quick ball? He never has more than a handful of carries a game, most of them negative. He can hit rucks, sure. But you need more from your forwards.

Prowling around looking for the jackal is precisely why he doesn't have huge tackle stats. That is a low work rate when it's not paying off with turnovers.

Compare him to Pooper. They play a similar role, being arch jacklers, but also manage to have an impact in all other areas of the game.

Compare him to Pooper. They play a similar role, being arch jacklers, but also manage to have an impact in all other areas of the game.

Ah come on now. You can't compare him to Pooper. Pocock is probably the best forward in world rugby when he's healthy, he's unplayable. Hooper is nothing like POM, he's a proper threat with the ball. He had 9 carries for 38 metres against the Jaguares yesterday.

In 2018 he had around 200 carries for 700 metres. POM had 170 for 180 metres.

It's a borderline insult to compare them on graft.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,957 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Ah come on now. You can't compare him to Pooper. Pocock is probably the best forward in world rugby when he's healthy, he's unplayable. Hooper is nothing like POM, he's a proper threat with the ball. He had 9 carries for 38 metres against the Jaguares yesterday.

Well, that's kind of my point. He is lauded for his breakdown work, but even that I would say isn't all it's cracked up to be. Pooper, Warburton, even SOB back in the day, were complete players.

Well, that's kind of my point. He is lauded for his breakdown work, but even that I would say isn't all it's cracked up to be. Pooper, Warburton, even SOB back in the day, were complete players.

Oh sorry, I thought you were trying to make a favourable comparison.

POM is genuinely capable of epic performances, nobody disputes that. But a Stander, VdF and Conan backrow just clearly sounds like the best one. Conan has improved massively, it would be so unfair to leave him out of the team.

Oh sorry, I thought you were trying to make a favourable comparison.

POM is genuinely capable of epic performances, nobody disputes that. But a Stander, VdF and Conan backrow just clearly sounds like the best one. Conan has improved massively, it would be so unfair to leave him out of the team.

At the moment, on form, the Leinster backrow yesterday is the form backrow

I think this is next season's conferences

A
    Munster
    Connacht
    Cardiff Blues
    Scarlets
    Glasgow
    Zebre
    CHEETAHS

B
    Leinster
    Ulster
    Ospreys
    Dragons
    Edinburgh
    Benetton
    Kings

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Burkie1203 wrote: »

A
    Munster
    Connacht
    Cardiff Blues
    Scarlets
    Glasgow
    Zebre
    CHEETAHS

B
    Leinster
    Ulster
    Ospreys
    Dragons
    Edinburgh
    Benetton
    Kings

I'm pretty sure it's done on league points, not play off results, so as Munster finished with 1 point more than Leinster they are Ireland 1 and swop conferences with Leinster.

A
    Munster
    Connacht
    Cardiff Blues
    Scarlets
    Glasgow
    Zebre
    CHEETAHS

B
    Leinster
    Ulster
    Ospreys
    Dragons
    Edinburgh
    Benetton
    Kings

No you don't. You pinched that from DJ Rossouw, including his capitalised Cheetahs (because he's a Cheetahs fan).

He himself took it from Wales online but he at least references them.

No you don't. You pinched that from DJ Rossouw, including his capitalised Cheetahs (because he's a Cheetahs fan).

He himself took it from Wales online but he at least references them.

The list he had that i copied was wrong. He has since changed it

My understanding is Ospreys and Scarlets swap and that's it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I would think it has to be done including playoffs also, not just league finishing places.
    i.e. 1=Leinster (Ire1), 2=Glasgow(Sco1), 3=Munster(Ire2), 4=Ulster(Ire3), 5=Connacht(Ire4), 6=Benetton(Ita1), 7=Ospreys(Wal1), 8=Cardiff(Wal2), 9=Scarlets(Wal3), 10=Edinburgh(Sco2), 11=Cheetahs(SA1), 12=Dragons(Wal4), 13=Kings(SA2), 14=Zebre(Ita2).

Conference A:
    Ire 1 + 4 = Leinster + Connacht
    Wal 2 + 3 = Cardiff + Scarlets
    Sco 1 = Glasgow
    Ita 2 = Zebre
    SA 2 = Kings

Conference B:
    Ire 2 + 3 = Munster + Ulster
    Wal 1 + 4 = Ospreys + Dragons
    Sco 2 = Edinburgh
    Ita 1 = Benetton
    SA 1 = Cheetahs

The swaps would be Munster and Leinster, Ospreys and Scarlets, and Cheetahs and Kings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭b.gud

I would think it has to be done including playoffs also, not just league finishing places.
    i.e. 1=Leinster (Ire1), 2=Glasgow(Sco1), 3=Munster(Ire2), 4=Ulster(Ire3), 5=Connacht(Ire4), 6=Benetton(Ita1), 7=Ospreys(Wal1), 8=Cardiff(Wal2), 9=Scarlets(Wal3), 10=Edinburgh(Sco2), 11=Cheetahs(SA1), 12=Dragons(Wal4), 13=Kings(SA2), 14=Zebre(Ita2).

Conference A:
    Ire 1 + 4 = Leinster + Connacht
    Wal 2 + 3 = Cardiff + Scarlets
    Sco 1 = Glasgow
    Ita 2 = Zebre
    SA 2 = Kings

Conference B:
    Ire 2 + 3 = Munster + Ulster
    Sco 2 = Edinburgh
    Ita 1 = Benetton
    SA 1 = Cheetahs

The swaps would be Munster and Leinster, Ospreys and Scarlets, and Cheetahs and Kings.

Like you I would have assume that it would be done on final positions rather than league standing but on the Under sticks podcast, the official Pro14 podcast, the media guy for the Pro14 talked about it. He said that they merged the conferences into one table and used that for the seedings. He didn't specifically state that it was based on end of regular season standings but that was the way it sounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wales-stage-pro14-final-first-16342055.amp

Pro14 final in Cardiff next year. The stadium is 10k smaller than the average attendance from the last two years. But I guess they're assuming both sets of fans will be travelling!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wales-stage-pro14-final-first-16342055.amp

Pro14 final in Cardiff next year. The stadium is 10k smaller than the average attendance from the last two years. But I guess they're assuming both sets of fans will be travelling!

It'll never happen (for quite awhile at least) but I'd love to see it being hosted in Italy at some stage.

Simon Thomas seemed to be hinting at that for a while so must have the inside scoop. Capacity only 33k

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Eod100 wrote: »
    Simon Thomas seemed to be hinting at that for a while so must have the inside scoop. Capacity only 33k

I have vague recollections of him defending it as being big enough despite it being under the attendance for the last 2 years. It’s in a crap part of Cardiff too though at least with the limited capacity the chronic shortage of beds in Cardiff won’t be such an issue.

b.gud wrote: »
    Like you I would have assume that it would be done on final positions rather than league standing but on the Under sticks podcast, the official Pro14 podcast, the media guy for the Pro14 talked about it. He said that they merged the conferences into one table and used that for the seedings. He didn't specifically state that it was based on end of regular season standings but that was the way it sounded.

Simon Thomas had an article about 6 weeks ago and at the time Leinster would have been in A but the last few weeks results changed everything. He says it's all based on the regular season fixtures and at the time there would have been 3 sides from each Conference swapping

Conference A:
    Ire 1 + 4 = Munster + Connacht
    Wal 2 + 3 = Blues + Scarlets
    Sco 1 = Glasgow
    Ita 2 = Zebre
    SA 1 = Cheetahs

Conference B:
    Ire 2 + 3 = Leinster + Ulster
    Sco 2 = Edinburgh
    Ita 1 = Benetton
    SA 2 = Kings

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Simon Thomas had an article about 6 weeks ago and at the time Leinster would have been in A but the last few weeks results changed everything. He says it's all based on the regular season fixtures and at the time there would have been 3 sides from each Conference swapping

Conference A:
    Ire 1 + 4 = Munster + Connacht
    Wal 2 + 3 = Blues + Scarlets
    Sco 1 = Glasgow
    Ita 2 = Zebre
    SA 1 = Cheetahs

Conference B:
    Ire 2 + 3 = Leinster + Ulster
    Sco 2 = Edinburgh
    Ita 1 = Benetton
    SA 2 = Kings

Yes it’s seemingly based on regular season, so Munster would be irish one

No real change..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

we shouldn't forget that they chose not to change conferences this season in order to "develop intra conference rivalries" or something

Munster should have swapped conferences if I recall

Advertisement