Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

concerts... best/worst/first??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭unichick

Best: Coldplay Point Depot, 2002, before they sold out & became huge!

Worst: Whitney Houston, 3 Arena, 2010, voice had gone, she was all over the shop, it was a shambles. Her daughter was in the front row also. RIP both.

First: An Emotional Fish, Limerick Theatre Royal, 1995

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

First: Woodstock (Went against parents wishes when I was 12 years old with a friend and his older brother. Got a terrible beating from my Irish mother when she found out. Cousin who was also there ratted me out), 1969

Best: Live Aid (JFK Stadium), 1985

Worst: Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention (Sound problems the entire show. Zappa even walked off stage at a point, and I got clubbed with a nightstick by local police), 1973

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Sparks at the Electric Picnic in 2005 or 2006. Hands down the best show of that festival imo - and still their only ever Irish show I think.

I was at this, and have absolutely no memory of it. Which is a shame.

Shout out for best of EP gigs - the Beastie Boys two gigs in 2007.

First gig - Carnsore Point anti-nukes ‘78. Then various Larks in the Parks, and U2 in the SFX in ‘82.

Best gig. Pulp. SFX ‘95, or Fatima Mansions, Powerhaus, Angel, ‘92

Worst gig. Mumford and Sons, Salthill, 2012. Not my cup of tea, and, to be fair, not the band’s fault - just a painful all round event experience, rescued only by an amazing post-headline performance by The Correspondents.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

First: Radiohead @ RDS 1997

Best: A few here of course.
    Ash @ Sir Henrys, Cork supported by Snow Patrol (can't remember the year, late 90s I'd say)
    Tom Waits in the Phoenix Park in 2008
    Beirut in Tripod 2010
    Radiohead at Malahide Castle 2008 and Bilbao BBK in 2012
    And so I watch you from afar in Whelans 2013
    Take That, 3 Arena 2015

Worst: Mark Lanegan in the Academy in 2015. The guy grips the mic stand and does not move for the entire gig. No interaction. No nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

notobtuse wrote: »
    First: Woodstock (Went against parents wishes when I was 12 years old with a friend and his older brother. Got a terrible beating from my Irish mother when she found out. Cousin who was also there ratted me out), 1969

Best: Live Aid (JFK Stadium), 1985

Worst: Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention (Sound problems the entire show. Zappa even walked off stage at a point, and I got clubbed with a nightstick by local police), 1973

We have a winner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

We have a winner.
    Regarding Woodstock: I was a dumb 12-year-old kid. I don’t remember much of the music, if any. What really stuck out in my mind was the 3+ hours of walking and hitchhiking to get to Bethel, New York after we abandoned the car because of the massive traffic jams, and local people giving us drinks and food along the way (first time I had peanut butter and jelly sandwiches). Also, they make the rain and mud look like fun in the movie, but it was miserable, and the stench of human body odor was horrible. But the hippies were fun to be with.

Regarding Live Aid: The music was fantastic but the temperature was unbearable. I think it reached almost 110 degrees Fahrenheit at ground level. Luckily they turned on numerous fire hoses so you made your way over to get cooled off. Also, the seats were deteriorating and you went away with fiberglass splinters in your ass. The worst was most restrooms didn’t work and you had to constantly walk through water mixed with urine and human waste streaming out of the restrooms. Power Station was terrible (the lead singer at the time got numerous water bottles thrown at him) and Led Zeppelin (with Phil Collins on drums) was a big disappointment. IMO, Eric Clapton and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers had the best performances.

Luckily I’m a pack-rat. I kept my tickets from both Woodstock and Live Aid and have them framed and hanging in my karaoke/music room and bar.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

First: Smashing Pumpkins at the RDS in 2008. Sound was a bit off and it dragged on a bit in parts, but there were some wonderful moments in the show too (the highlights for me were probably the quieter moments, like the acoustic versions of "1979", "Perfect" and "That's The Way My Love Is".)

Best: Nick Cave and the Bad Seets, October 2017 in Berlin. He is such an incredible showman.

Worst: Hard to pick, as I've never been left terribly disappointed by someone. Massive Attack at the 3Arena this year was a bit flatter than I had hoped, although that was partly due to a lot of disinterested twats in the crowd. Otherwise Laura Marling at Electric Picnic 2010 was a disaster because the blaring electronic music from a nearby tent meant nobody could hear her! Put that one down to the organisers rather than the artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,842 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

beecee wrote: »
    Goes to show... one of my favourites. And I was standing for it too.

Same, I was in the standing section for that and I thought it was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,022 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

grenadino wrote: »
    Best: hard to say, Sonic Youth, Wilco, both at Vicar St,

You mean SY's last appearance in Ireland? Sound was poor.

By far their best gig here was in the Top Hat in 1991, with a little known band called Nirvana in support who tried their best to steal the show. Olympia a few years later was very good too, Dalymount in '93 was crap sound, crap crowd, broad daylight and no atmosphere

Elvis Costello a couple of years ago in the Iveagh Gardens was a great gig too

First - Something Happens in McGonagles, I think

Worst - Fleetwood Mac in 3 Arena. Bloody standing tickets and Lyndsay Buckingham was the only one who was arsed, his songs were good but the rest were crap, never made as many bar and toilet trips at a gig without missing anything!

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

Worst: Tie between Bob Dylan in Kilkenny in 03 ish?...

Was Gary Moore on that bill? And Paddy Casey? I played at that gig, bassist for Paddy.

My list:
    First - Sunstroke, Dalymount Park 1994

Best - The Bad Plus at the Hawkswell Theatre Sligo a couple of years ago. They played The Rite of Spring and I've never seen anything like it. (Prior to that, my best was Leonard Cohen at Kilmainham, the first time, and that was hard to beat!)

Worst - Don't really remember any gig that was unbearably bad, but Springsteen at the RDS and Tom Waits in the Phoenix Park in 2008 (I think) were awful for various reasons. Springsteen cos the sound was terrible, too quiet, couldn't hear a thing, and Waits because of the terrible, TERRIBLE seating layout. I couldn't see more than half the stage. I'm sure he was great, but I couldn't see him most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Decuc500 wrote: »
    Best: Wedding Present / Buffalo Tom SFX 1991

That was class. Serious moshing for Buffalo Tom. 15 May 1991, Seamonsters released the following Monday. The heavy bit in Dalliance was immense. No encores and ended with Heather.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭enricoh

First - faith no more, dalymount park mid 90's. Not a bad first gig!
    Best - the enemy or daft punk both dublin
    Worst - the killers marlay park iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

First: Toyah @ RDS 1980

Worst: Johnny Thunders RIP at the New Inn 1993? so smacked off his face he could barely stand

Best: See worst, rock'n'roll nihilism at its most extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭dasdog

Decuc500 wrote: »
    Worst: U2, RDS 1993

I really don't get this. It was a pretty spectacular show in a terrible venue. I'm not a fan of theirs but they nailed the art and music and technology of the time and were the biggest band in the world playing a home gig and the weather was nice. And they fking showed off.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

First - U2, Croke Park, 1985

Best - David Byrne, 2018. I doubt I'll ever be to as good a gig as long as I live. It really was special.

Worst - Pixies/Kings of Leon, Lansdowne Road, 2005. I'd no interest in KoL, I was only there to see The Pixies, but the band, and in particular Frank Black, didn't really seem that interested. It wasn't that they were actually bad, but their lack of interest makes it the only gig I can think of that I could call the "worst".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Decuc500

dasdog wrote: »
    I really don't get this. It was a pretty spectacular show in a terrible venue. I'm not a fan of theirs but they nailed the art and music and technology of the time and were the biggest band in the world playing a home gig and the weather was nice. And they fking showed off.

I don't know what to say. It left me cold. I was bored. Great spectacle sure but the music did nothing for me. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭beecee

First: Paul Simon 1991, RDS (Rhythm of Saints tour)

Best: Tom Waits 2008, Phoenix Park... (followed by LCD - Olympia 2017, Public Enemy - Red Box 2000, Radiohead - Glasto 2003, Blur - Glasto 2009, Nick Cave - Kilmainham 2018, Planxty - Vicar St 2003)

Worst: hmm... struggling. Oasis - Witness 2002!! Finally persuaded friend to leave to go to Basement Jaxx... so much better!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭davef1000

beecee wrote: »
    Best: Tom Waits 2008, Phoenix Park...

You must have been able to see the stage! I couldn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭stanley1

Best: Zeppelin in the national stadium '71

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

stanley1 wrote: »
    Best: Zeppelin in the national stadium '71

Not bad for £1.25!

dublin71_ticket_0.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭FledNanders

First: The Fugees, Point Depot, 1996

Best: Loads of options but probably Blur, Olympia, 2003

Worst: Basment Jaxx, Olympia, 2009

• Registered Users Posts: 7,855 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

First; Thin Lizzy Cork City Hall, Thunder and Lightening tour 1983. We were right up the front from start to finish and Scott Gorham gave his plectrum to my best friend (who was actually learning to play guitar) before he left the stage. Mama's Boys played support and were worth the journey and entrance fee on their own.

Best; See above, Thin Lizzy were like Gods to us.

Worst; I fell asleep at a classical concert in Poland 3 years ago and I'm still paying for it. Again I was front row, dead center.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Zaph wrote: »
    Worst - Pixies/Kings of Leon, Lansdowne Road, 2005. I'd no interest in KoL, I was only there to see The Pixies, but the band, and in particular Frank Black, didn't really seem that interested. It wasn't that they were actually bad, but their lack of interest makes it the only gig I can think of that I could call the "worst".

I was at that too, thought KOL were pretty good, was just before they "sold out". :)

Pixies were fairly ok, it didn't help that Frank Black got soaked when a big sheet of water fell on to him from the stage roof - he got the full brunt of it. I was actually expecting him to walk off, but he stayed.

Pixies are best indoors - I did enjoy the Phoenix park gig (as it was the first time seeing them since 1990) but the best one was in the Olympia when they did Doolittle.

It's just not the same without Kim Deal though. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭loadwire

Best
    I'll go for Arcade Fire at EP 2005. We were up the front having been there for Goldfrapp just before. You could hear the tent filling up and up and by the time the band came out the atmosphere was unreal. So much fun.

Worst
    Probably Pete Doherty when he didn't show in Temple Bar. The poor bouncer getting showered in beer for making the announcement.

First
    GNR, Slane 92.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

I was at that too, thought KOL were pretty good, was just before they "sold out". :)

Pixies were fairly ok, it didn't help that Frank Black got soaked when a big sheet of water fell on to him from the stage roof - he got the full brunt of it. I was actually expecting him to walk off, but he stayed.

Pixies are best indoors - I did enjoy the Phoenix park gig (as it was the first time seeing them since 1990) but the best one was in the Olympia when they did Doolittle.

It's just not the same without Kim Deal though. ;)

Totally disagree with the last sentence, Paz is also excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

First - Michael Jackson Pairc Ui Chaoimh 1988.

Worst - Bob Dylan , Nowlan Park 2006 - Just dreadful.

Best - REM - Ardgillan Castle 2005 - What a performance , and what a setting !!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭endainoz

First: the first live show I had ever seen was regrettably Nickelback in the point some time early 2002. Can't change your first gig unfortunately but my 15/16 year old self loved it at the time.

Best: I really can't decide, the first time I saw AC/DC in Punchestown was amazing. One gig that really sticks out in my mind was Rage against the machine when they played Oxegen that one time. The Frames headline slot from my first EP in 2010 springs to mind too.

Don't really have much in the way of bad gigs that I can think of, but I suppose Amy Winehouse at Oxegen was pretty awful too. Definitely have more good gigs gone to than bad ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭eldest200

First: Crowded House, Belfast Waterfront 2007

Best: U2, Belfast SSE Arena 2015

Honourable mentions Coldplay Belfast SSE Arena 2008, Muse at the Ulster Hall, Green Day Belfast 2009, Bruce Springsteen Kings Hall, Neil Young, Belfast

Worst: Kasabian when they didn't bother to show up at Custom House Square in 2017 and Noel Gallagher who decided to cut his setlist. RHCP gets an honourable in Belfast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

rednik wrote: »
    Worst Hall @ Oates 3 Arena 2017

Curious about this one as I'm seeing them in July in Cork. Was it them that was bad or the sound qualtiy or something else?

Huge fan of them and always wanted to see them but I'm getting a little nervous now reading that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,670 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Curious about this one as I'm seeing them in July in Cork. Was it them that was bad or the sound quality or something else? Huge fan of them and always wanted to see them but I'm getting a little nervous now reading that.

The Olympia gig in 2014 - the one they filmed for release - was phenomenal.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

Advertisement