Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2015 brides!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

teggers5 wrote: »
    Its never ending is it?!
    What we're having is..
    -a song as the bridal party enters the church
    -an instrumental piece as we light the candles
    -4 (I think) hymns to be played at various parts of the mass
    -song for signing of register
    -song as we leave
    we could have more or less if we wanted. It was pretty much up to us.
    I can't see using a CD being a problem but it would be safer to check with the priest.

One of the singers is Sinead O'Connor (singing Peggy Gordon)

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/the-25-boldest-career-moves-in-rock-history-20110318/sinead-oconnor-tears-up-a-photo-of-the-pope-on-live-tv-20110323

Hmm not sure if that'll go down with the priest! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Uhh I have my walk down the aisle song but I cant say anything incase he spies it..

But maybe for the walk up the aisle song Star Wars - would love it, or when we are exchanging the rings or Indie..

Or if we wanted to go the more serious side Falling In Love - Jack L cover

We haven't even looked at the ceremony side of it as such..
    Do you have to light the candles for the civil ceremony!!

haha listening to it now Indiana jones would be great for signing the register

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

One of the singers is Sinead O'Connor (singing Peggy Gordon)

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/the-25-boldest-career-moves-in-rock-history-20110318/sinead-oconnor-tears-up-a-photo-of-the-pope-on-live-tv-20110323

Hmm not sure if that'll go down with the priest! :eek:

Beautiful song but singer could be a little risky lol

Milly, I'm not sure if the civil ceremony involves lighting of the candles.
    the Indiana Jones theme song would be THE best song ever to use!! :D

I must say I was smiling listening to it there, while thinking of signing the book. The ceremony side of it we kind of haven't even looked at yet as we are stuck on invites and wine at the moment... I will have to go over it at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

Anyone here (brides), making a speech on the day? Curious to see how many brides are planning on it. Have toyed with the idea a lot myself, but not a huge fan of speaking in public, and also feel there might be enough of them on the day, but still it might be nice to say a few words.

I made a start on the mass booklets months ago thinking I'll have them all ready to go and put away til the big day.
    Well am I glad I started back then because they're still not ready. With going back and forth between the printers and the priest I am sick of the sight of them at this stage!
    Fingers crossed they will be finished by the end of this week!

jaja321 wrote: »
    Anyone here (brides), making a speech on the day? Curious to see how many brides are planning on it. Have toyed with the idea a lot myself, but not a huge fan of speaking in public, and also feel there might be enough of them on the day, but still it might be nice to say a few words.

I thought about it for all of 5 seconds and decided against it!
    I'd be in such a state worrying about it I don't think I enjoy the day..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yes im going to say something. Im not having a wedding where three men stand up and speak and you dont hear from the women at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

jaja321 wrote: »

Considering it. I don't want every voice heard on my wedding day to be those of the men in my life!

• Advertisement

Just thinking now isn't that funny noramly it is the women who really heads things, and speeches seems to be the man thing to do, I think it is because the women as just too tired after all their planning..

I did one night start a little speech but I am not sure either, I do always like it when the bride says a few words I think it is very nice but then if there are a lot of others who would like to say something I might leave it...

On the note of dress designers too I called into one as I just cant seem to find a dress. Mr Perryman all I can say is he is loverly. If anyone is struggling I would highly suggest calling to one. I took in a few pics from JJS house and asked him even to tell me which would suit and which would not. After that I called again after he done a few sketches, I told him what the groom was wearing and he told me straight out don't go with what we were thinking. That it just would not look right. which strangely enough is what I was thinking of first day, but all the dresses get a bit much. So no money wasted and no time and feeling a lot happier...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

I am definitely saying a few words as will my bridesmaid. Speaking for my sister and sister-in-law at their weddings was very important for me as a bridesmaid. I was super nervous the first time, but when you think of the room as your friends and family, its not that bad at all.

Plus, in our relationship in general, I tend to the speaker rather than my OH.

Believe me, he's no walk over, but he'd rather not have to be the one speaking when he doesn't have to. Though, he'll say a few words on the day as well but his speech will probably only be a minute or so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭CorkClaire82

I'm undecided, I'll have something extremely short prepared but I'll see on the day then.

If it's of any use to anyone here's what we are having as regards music:-
    Lighting of the candles - Lascia Chio Pianga-Handel
    Lighting of the marriage candle - The Mission Theme (not Gabriel's Oboe)
    Offertory - Inis Oirr
    Sign of peace - Tabhair dom do Lamh
    Communion - Nocturne – Secret Garden
    One Hand One Heart
    Signing of the register - God Only Knows (The Beach Boys)
    Recessional - Stand By Me

I'm leaving out the processional in case anyone who's going reads it, it's a big surprise :)

Love God Only knows that will be loverly

I'
    I'm leaving out the processional in case anyone who's going reads it, it's a big surprise :)

Mine is a big surprise too and I wont breathe a word to anyone before the day. I hope it goes down well. some nice choices there.

Well I've told my family but no-one else, my fiance wants to see if people will "get" it.

To be fair, a lot of those choices were suggested to us by the girl I've been dealing with regarding the music. We just came up with the processional and recessional. Funnily enough our priest didn't care what kind of music we had but I think we need a certain tone for a church.

Today's fun game was the mass booklets, I have them done up but we just have to figure out who's doing the prayer's of the faithful and that but mostly done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Are ye planning a big entrance ladies???

I've two songs in mind for processional. One kinda announces I'm coming, has a big start and the other is just a nice song.

My head is full of songs but my wedding singer hasn't sent me her song list yet so i'm trying to rein myself in. She's a relative so I don't want to be wrecking her head asking a million questions...yet!

I'm also undecided on whether to make a speech or not. At first my oh wanted me too and I was dead against it. I don't think I've been to to a wedding where the bride has given a speech and I haven't been cringing. Maybe I'm being over critical but they've all sounded very immature and giggly.

kildareash wrote: »
    Maybe I'm being over critical but they've all sounded very immature and giggly.

Do you reckon that was because they were female or because they were a bride? ðŸ˜႒

Honestly it takes practice to be a good public speaker no matter what gender you are. But anyone can stand up and say a few words of thanks. It is personal choice and all that but i would like to see women speaking more.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mslady

We're actually going to say a few words together - nothing too long, just a quick thank you to everyone for coming and to those who helped put the day together! I think it takes the pressure off a little bit when you've someone standing up beside you in front of the room, who can jump in if you panic!

kildareash wrote: »
    Are ye planning a big entrance ladies???

Not a big entrance, just the usual. It's just that our entrance song is a bit different and only some people will know where it's from so hence the bit of secrecy. I think he'll be disappointed if no-one gets it :P

He said last night we should have the Psycho theme for my entrance, GAS!!!!

I've been to two weddings where I remember the bride speaking and neither were immature or giggly.

One was my sister who was 36 years of age and a finance executive, the other was a barrister who blew her new husband's rambling speech out of the water despite only deciding during dinner that she was going to speak. (He's a barrister as well.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I spoke at our wedding. But only because my husband forgot to thank my stepmother for the beautiful cakes she made (I've posted pics on the other thread). And I wanted to acknowledge and thank my cousins who came in from Barbados and Jamaica to support me on my wedding day. Speech was short and sweet! Normally at West Indian weddings, we have an MC and EVERYBODY who wants to speak can. Speeches can go on for hours if you're not careful!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

My friends speech at her recent wedding was brilliant. Honest and to the point but really lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭An Bhanríon

I am liking this discussion about the bride's wedding speech! In the run up to my wedding I found my feminist side coming out a lot and there was no way I was going to have my husband speak for me. It took a good while to get my speech together but in the end it worked out really well and I enjoyed it no end.

That said, I am used to standing up in front of people. If I were not used to that I think I would hate to give a speech and would probably leave it all up to my husband.

Best of luck with the speech writing, ladies!

I'm definitely giving a speech. Just a tip on the speech, I gave one (as bridesmaid) at my sister's wedding. The speeches were outside during the drinks reception (it was abroad) which was fantastic but I digress...I wrote it in the 2 days beforehand (although I think with a speech like that you're writing it in your head for months/weeks before anyway and I read out the whole thing. Got loads of laughs and brought the odd tear to an eye. Got so many people telling me afterwards how much they enjoyed it and in my thank you card from my sis she said my speech was 'the highlight of the day' (!!) So my point is- don't be worrying about reading out a speech, it's not a public speaking competition or a work presentation where u get marks for making eye contact with the crowd etc, the important thing for wedding speeches is the content!

I'm undecided, I'll have something extremely short prepared but I'll see on the day then.

If it's of any use to anyone here's what we are having as regards music:-
    Lighting of the candles - Lascia Chio Pianga-Handel
    Lighting of the marriage candle - The Mission Theme (not Gabriel's Oboe)
    Offertory - Inis Oirr
    Sign of peace - Tabhair dom do Lamh
    Communion - Nocturne – Secret Garden
    One Hand One Heart
    Signing of the register - God Only Knows (The Beach Boys)
    Recessional - Stand By Me

Are u playing a CD of the Beach Boys Claire or getting the wedding singer to sing?

Milly33 wrote: »
    Uhh I have my walk down the aisle song but I cant say anything incase he spies it..

But maybe for the walk up the aisle song Star Wars - would love it, or when we are exchanging the rings or Indie..

Or if we wanted to go the more serious side Falling In Love - Jack L cover

We haven't even looked at the ceremony side of it as such..
    Do you have to light the candles for the civil ceremony!!

haha listening to it now Indiana jones would be great for signing the register

I'd say you're safe enough there will be no lighting candles at a Civil ceremony :)

Oh someone said you do have to light the candles at a civil..Still didn't look at the print out and I just remembered sure I scanned it.. Looking at it and it doesn't say anything about the candles, I must ask them this.. Is says kinda in the extras, candles, music etc...

I will email them to clarify this..

Are u playing a CD of the Beach Boys Claire or getting the wedding singer to sing?

We're just having instrumental so it's all strings. I've looked it up on YouTube and sounds lovely so trusting them (I've also heard them at a wedding and thought they were very good so the trust isn't too hard)

We're just having instrumental so it's all strings. I've looked it up on YouTube and sounds lovely so trusting them (I've also heard them at a wedding and thought they were very good so the trust isn't too hard)

That will be beautiful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

We lit individual candles and then the unity one at our civil ceremony. It's much more customisable than you'd think

• Advertisement

IT'S MY HEN TODAY!!!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

We lit individual candles and then the unity one at our civil ceremony. It's much more customisable than you'd think

Just a warning, candles are banned in the Dublin registry office.

Whoooop hope you have a great hen day teggers5... Let us know how it went...Loverly sunny day for it..

Jes they banned candles really seems a bit harsh..

just incase anyone is looking for dresses my mum just texted saying fran and jane have a 50% off sale in debanams

Really fcuking depressing question - I'm just back in London after 4 days back home for my grandfather's funeral. Wedding is in 8 weeks. What would be a good/appropriate way to honour him at the wedding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Oh that is hard rainbow kirby. Are you having a church ceremony? If you are you can include him as a prayer of the faithful. I have also seen a couple light an extra candle just after lighting their individual candles and the priest says this is in memory of xxxxx.

Humanist ceremony, so not a lot of protocol out there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

A candle or flowers with a framed picture of him at a table somewhere in the reception area would be lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭bluebell27

Rainbow, i am sorry for your loss. This is one that not all the guests would see but i think its a nice idea.i am going to have a locket with photos of my grandparents who have passed away attached to my bouquet so they will be walking down the aisle with me. We are also having a photo slideshow at the drinks reception so their wedding photo and others of them will be included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

If you are doing a hand fasting during humanist ceremony use something if his eg ties work well.

Whoooop hope you have a great hen day teggers5... Let us know how it went...Loverly sunny day for it..

thank God I booked today off work.. exhausted!
    Saturday morning we travelled to Ennis from various parts of Co. Wexford. checked into Queens hotel. Went to The Farmyard from there where I completed a "wife preparation course" never laughed so much in my life. Learned how to make brown bread and butter the old fashioned way. Had to round up sheep and catch a cock it was best fun ever with no alcohol involved and it poured rain all day!
    After we all dryed off and glamed up with had a beautiful dinner in the hotel followed by a cocktail making lesson. A hectic day but was absolutely brilliant. Everyone had a ball. Ive got the best sister/bridesmaid!!

Sounds like great fun... The farmyard antics sounds gas I hope the cockerel was a nice one...

Wife prep course, ha teggars! That sounds like gr8 craic.
    Had a busy wknd here too. Went to food tasting at the hotel which was very helpful. We were there for 3hrs in all, also walked the grounds and ran the allocation of rooms past OH (every room there is unique)
    Met the offie manager of my local super valu Sat morning & she gave me the list of wines & bubbles that are included in the current sale. She gave me 6 free bottles of my choice to taste. Got the family involved in the wine tasting Sat night. ....this is what we're going for as our red

http://m.wine-searcher.com/wine-159384-0001-rare-vineyards-malbec-igp-pays-d-oc-france

And for white same brand in sav blanc. If anyone wants me to email them the list pm me your email address
    Wine is 8 euro per bottle and with their deal at the mo will cost me 6.33 a bottle

Uhhh that bottle looks familiar maybe that was the one I was talking about. Busy weekend then Stickybook. Went for something similar had the foods tasty which was great, a little manic as everyone was there but fun...

really looking forward to sorting out the bar now, I think we will be doing the same and going to supervalue.. They have the Campo Viejo red which himself likes... Did you get a good deal with the bubbles too....

• Advertisement

Can I ask sticky how many guest, bottles of vino and bubbles are you getting

Can I ask sticky how many guest, bottles of vino and bubbles are you getting

The hotel told us to allow 2/3 of a bottle of wine per person, but after reading the post below on boards, 've changed to 1/2 a bottle of wine per person. The poster makes a good point about how 1/3 of any crowd wont' be drinking wine. 'm having 170 adult guests (hopefully....) and am ordering 42 bottles of white and 42 bottles of red. we were thinking of doing 1/3 red, 1/3 white and 1/3 rose but don't know if i have the balls to do it.....would love to though as it's different and rose is what myself and himself drink. we'll see.

For the drinks reception i had my bubbles already got in the Dunnes 25% off with every 4 bottles sale a few weeks ago. i got 44 bottles of champers for the drinks reception. probably too much and i'm expecting to have some left over....what can you do
    onlyone wrote: »
    I have been reading this thread with interest, and as an ex owner operator (retired) of a wedding venue I thought I should address some of the issues around drinks at a wedding reception, from the operators point of view, in order that they arose in the thread.

• The use of vouchers is a bit tacky and also a bit impracticable. What is the voucher for and what’s its value? Can it buy a double of 50 year old scotch or is it for a bottle of Heineken? From a venues point of view, a nightmare.

• On average a Toast drink will work at around €5 euro. Why you ask how so little, well because 1/3 of those attending won’t drink at all, and another fair hunk won’t ask for a toast drink of choice at all, as they have plenty already, or don’t want to burden the bride and groom. From a venues point of view they do not care as if a toast drink of choice is not offered, it will be bought afterwards any way, in the bar. Doubles and premium drinks are as a matter of course not allowed(unless otherwise instructed)

• Trusting the venue. I have to disagree with post No 9 on this. I have never heard of a venue racking up the bill on a toast drink, and if it has been done I would suggest that the benefit did not accrue to the venue. In business we all work a lot on trust. It can go wrong, but to rip off your customers like that is a big no no.

• Non drinkers make up around 30% of any crowd, the drivers, the T Totals, the Pregnant and the ill. Hotels know this and while they do put out the allocation as agreed, they know that that’s 2/3rd of a bottle for the drinkers and nothing for the non drinkers. A half bottle per person is usually plenty. Certain crowds can poof to be excellent wine drinkers, and sometimes it is necessary to approach the Bride and Groom to see if they wish to add to their ½ bottle pax allocation.

• You may order a glass of sparkling wine on arrival or for the speeches. You may then say to the hotel I want to substitute a non alcoholic drinks (eg coke), or beer for the non drinkers or the non wine drinkers. Again an impossible nightmare to deal with, from venue point of view, and the hotel will respond by been very careful with the allocation. Typically the men go straight to the bar and get a pint, and the ladies get two glasses as a result. A 750mm bottle gives 6 glasses.

• Craft beers are lovely, but hardly anybody drinks them. Guinness and Heineken still have around 80% of the market. They are an additional stock item which will probably go off, so of course they will be for sale in the bar afterwards. Get rid of them, quick.

• Generally put out two bottles of wine on a table for ten, and after that let the house pour. Some tables will guzzle wine and some won’t touch it. Age has a lot to do with this. Older people don’t drink much wine or otherwise. Younger people, under 25, also are light on wine, they will look after themselves!

• I disagree with post No 34. It is very common to have sums of money behind the bar, for the average wedding of 130 (150 invited) €800 is quite normal. What surprised most of my customers is how long that lasted? Usually till well after dinner. The average spend per head at the bar at a wedding is around 36 per person attending.

• If a free bar is offered the average spend is doubled. This is not because everybody drinks twice as much, but more about a who cares attitude. Can’t find your drink, hell get another one, guys who never buy a round rush to the bar, tables covered in undrank dead flat beer. Terrible. My staff then spends hours pouring it down the drain.

Hello thank you... I shall take note of all, id say get a few bottles of Rose sure for yerselfs if ye drink it..If the day is nice I am sure others would like it too... I do worry about the wine as we do like our wine, I can see myself buying too much of it but then again wed drink it anywho so it wont go to waste..

Thanks for all the tips...

Just back from the make up trial and after a bit of trial and error my eyeshadow is great... But I'm finding the foundation a bit hard to get used to. It's so much heavier than my normal. Did anyone else feel like that? It's Estée lauder double wear light which sounds like it shouldn't feel heavy... I normally wear Chanel teint lumiere.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I wear Bare Minerals powder foundation and any other foundation feels way too heavy on me. I was the same after my trial as you, nosietoes. Every time I touched my face, it felt so weird! But it looked good, so I'll trust my MUA :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement