Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Week I are mostly reading (contd)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Just about to start Michael Chabon's The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. Looking forward to it as the reviews are so strong. First book I've read by the author.

It took me an absolute age to read that for some reason, but it's a great book!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭FaulknersFav

Feck I've suggested it as the first book for a book club that's just starting!! Hopefully it doesn't crash and burn!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Over the weekend I read a book called "Fall Girl" by Toni Jordan. It's a sort of romantic comedy thing, not usually my bag at all but I fancied something light and easy for a change. I was pleasantly surprised by it.

It's about a woman, Della, who is from a family of con artists and her latest job is getting a conning money out of a millionaire who runs a program that funds scientific research. When he takes more interest in her project than she predicted she finds herself on the back foot slightly and her plans start to fall apart.

As I said, not the kind of thing I'd usually go for but I found it quite charming and very entertaining. If you're looking for something light and not requiring much effort to get through you could do worse.

Feck I've suggested it as the first book for a book club that's just starting!! Hopefully it doesn't crash and burn!!

Ah no, I think it was because it was the first book I read on the Kindle... It took me a while to get used to reading on it and then I didn't realise I could change the font size until well over halfway through... I was reading like half a page at a time haha

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭FaulknersFav

ivytwine wrote: »
    Ah no, I think it was because it was the first book I read on the Kindle... It took me a while to get used to reading on it and then I didn't realise I could change the font size until well over halfway through... I was reading like half a page at a time haha

Haha that would slow things down :)

I started it yesterday and I love it so far. Fantastic writing, finding it hard to not be immediately enamoured with the two main characters :) Which in a long book is definitely a good thing!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Tales of Mystery and Imagination by Edgar Allen Poe

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,300 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

The Red by Ridley Pearson. Suspense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Finished 'Colour of Magic' by Terry Pratchett. I enjoyed it but I had expected it to be better.

Started 'Little Women' this morning. I've been meaning to read it for years.

Finished 'Colour of Magic' by Terry Pratchett. I enjoyed it but I had expected it to be better

It's not his best tbh and Discworld doesn't get into the swing of things for a few books!

It's not his best tbh and Discworld doesn't get into the swing of things for a few books!

I had heard that alright. Do the books have to be read in order or could I just skip on a few to the better ones?

• Advertisement

I had heard that alright. Do the books have to be read in order or could I just skip on a few to the better ones?

Not at all, I started with feet of clay which is quite a late one and then read them all out of order! Didn't really make a difference to my enjoyment of them.
    I am thinking of doing a chronological reread, but that is the kind of person I am!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

I'm re-reading Dubliners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

'Why don't you play 'Imagine' on the white piano, John? By Klaus Voormann.

I'm loving it so far, an autobiography of a man who met The Beatles way when they were doing a residency in Hamburg and continued to be a very good friend of George Harrison until he died. He designed the album cover for 'Revolver' and played on many of the ex-Beatles solo albums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I'm reading a book about Rasputin, not great, and Kim Gordon's (Sonic Youth) memoir, great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭eire4

fruvai wrote: »
    I'm re-reading Dubliners

I re read it myself over the chritsmas period. What a great read.

Finished a re read of Morgan Llwelyn's Re Branch which is basically her version of the legend of Cuchulain.

Rescue by Anita Shreve

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Esterhase

A Small Town in Germany - Le Carré. Meh, it's probably my least favourite off his that I've read so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

After a run of mediocre books I finally read Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar. It's been on my 'must read' list for a while. It's a great read, funny in places, harrowing in others, but a wonderfully written insight into the mind of the suicidal/mentally ill.
    The only criticism I have is that I felt the ending was too abrupt.

Now on to Elizabeth is Missing

Fallout by Sadie Jones.

I read another of her books last year, The Outcast, and loved it mostly. This one is set in 1970's London and is about 3 friends, Luke, Paul and Leigh, all budding theatre people, who are forming their own theatre group and it's all going well until Luke falls in love with an actress who just happens to be married to a big time producer type. I'm nearly finished and it's pretty good so far but I have a feeling she's heading for a romantic happy ending which was the one tiny niggle I had about her other book. We shall see.

• Advertisement

Finished a re read of Morgan Llwelyn's Druids. A very moving read as the author gives her fictional version of the fall of Gaul to the Romans through the eyes of the Druid Ainvar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭giggii

Just finished The Dice Man by Luke Rhineheart. Excellent read, very thought provoking, although some of the subject matter was a little hard to stomach at times!!

Currently reading Antic Hay by Huxley, it's for my book club, not overly keen on it thus far, but it's a relatively short read so I'll continue to plough through!!

Still on What If? by Randall Munroe as well, it's the kind of book you can dip in and out of, especially as every chapter deals with a completely different subject matter!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Almost finished Touch by Sarah Webb having recently read and loved The first fifteen lives of Harry August.
    This one is tough work, clever and thrilling at times but mostly confusing and frustrating and I find myself skim reading entire pages quite a lot.
    Also started reading The Tyson tapes which will be very good I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

A young adult book.
    Not one I would normally read. But since Willocks is among my favourite authors ,that along with the reviews and a healthy dose of curiosity I decided to give it a go.
    Only one chapter in so I'll see what happens.........
    This is a book that every dog lover should read. It's a book that every teenager should read. It is full of violence but it's also full of love and a touch of humor. It's really full of inspiration and hope -- Furgul's inspiration and hope.
    And it's absolutely wonderful

http://www.examiner.com/review/doglands-by-tim-willocks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

Have been so busy lately it took me over a month to read my last book. Onto Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

'The Hypnotist' by Lars Keplar. The first outing of Chief Inspector Joona Linna. One of the strangest and most enjoyable crime books I've ever read.

Read The Crucible by Arthur Miller there. Really good insight into the Salem witch trials and it's got some authors notes here and there which add a bit of actual background history and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Finished reading Fingersmith. It was ok. Dragged towards the end. I started Animal Farm. Enjoying it. Onto Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep next.

mejulie805 wrote: »
    Have been so busy lately it took me over a month to read my last book. Onto Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill now..

Really like his books, he's far more adept at finishing off a novel than his father is anyway! :P

• Advertisement

Birneybau wrote: »
    'The Hypnotist' by Lars Keplar. The first outing of Chief Inspector Joona Linna. One of the strangest and most enjoyable crime books I've ever read.

Superb book.
    Well into Pigeon English & it's very entertaining

Really enjoyed Pigeon English & loved the main character.

Now it's on to The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Daisy78

"Something wicked this way comes" by Ray Bradbury. Three chapters in and I know its going to be good:).

Finished a re read of Morgan Llywelyn's The Last Prince of Ireland. A really moving recounting of the last march of O'Sullivan Beara from Doire na Fola to O'Rourke's castle in Leitrim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Been reading some short stories by John McGahern. Very good stuff.

Finished the Miniaturist. I was really enjoying the first half of the book, it had a gothic sort of feel to it but then it totally changed about halfway through. The book then ended with a lot of questions left unanswered which annoyed me a lot.

Started the second Game of Thrones books, A Clash of Kings this morning. I'm really looking forward to getting stuck in to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Finished Elizabeth is Missing and found it disappointing. I think Genova's Still Alice has set the standard too high for any other Alzheimers/Dementia books n my view. Promoted as a psychological thriller, I found it anything but a thriller.

Elizabeth is Missing started out reasonably well but the outcome became apparent very quickly and the story became tedious and repetitive. It does present the position of the carer, daughter Helen, very well. The frustration and helplessness of the person responsible for a dementia sufferer is very well portrayed. However, I fail to see why it won the Costa Award for first novel but I have often found books that received awards disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Part 8
    Read about 30 pages on the bus this morning and can't wait to start back tonight. Like meeting up with an old friend for a pint.Great stuff!, a real page turner.
    Normally I don't like long book series ,this is one of the few exceptions.

With this eighth entry in the epic Saxon Tales series, we are reminded once again why New York Times bestselling author Bernard Cornwell is “the most prolific and successful historical novelist in the world today” (Wall Street Journal).

I started reading Tim Winton's latest novel "Eyrie" this afternoon and am about 100 pages in already. I just love his writing.

Gonna start the Silkworm, the sequel to the Cuckoo's Calling by "Robert Galbraith" aka JK Rowling tonight. I need something relatively easy to read at the moment as very busy with college, work etc.

Have been mostly reading Discworld over the last few weeks. Reading the author bio on Soul Music was like a punch in the gut :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Part 8
    Read about 30 pages on the bus this morning and can't wait to start back tonight. Like meeting up with an old friend for a pint.Great stuff!, a real page turner.
    Normally I don't like long book series ,this is one of the few exceptions.

I read The Winter King, to me it veered between great bits and ok bits.

• Advertisement

Gonna start the Silkworm, the sequel to the Cuckoo's Calling by "Robert Galbraith" aka JK Rowling tonight. I need something relatively easy to read at the moment as very busy with college, work etc.

Have been mostly reading Discworld over the last few weeks. Reading the author bio on Soul Music was like a punch in the gut :(

I really liked The Silkworm, thought it was better than the first novel of the series, it very easy to get through, perfect for when you just need to switch off a bit! :)

Finished Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Last night. Didn't really like it to be honest. Never really read sci-fi before. I hope the film is better (Blade Runner).

Started the Book of Evidence by John Banville. I've heard he is good. Only managed to read a few pages before falling asleep but I will hopefully get to read a good bit tonight.

Finished a re read of Morgan Llywelyn's The Elementals. A very good read and very topical today given the impact of climate change.

giggii wrote: »
    I really liked The Silkworm, thought it was better than the first novel of the series, it very easy to get through, perfect for when you just need to switch off a bit! :)

I'm heading towards the end now, and really enjoying it. I liked the first one a lot but I don't know am I liking this one more. When I find out whodunnit I'll know!

Starting The Sacrifice by Joyce Carol Oates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I finished The Girl who Played with Fire on Tuesday night. I enjoyed the first but this was better. It just kept going right until the very, very last line. I haven't seen that in a book before.

I've started Gone Girl which my girlfriend has been bigging up a lot.

I've read four books since Christmas when I got a Kindle. I think it's one of the best presents I've ever got. I was skeptical but I'm a convert. It's brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I finished The Girl who Played with Fire on Tuesday night. I enjoyed the first but this was better. It just kept going right until the very, very last line. I haven't seen that in a book before.

I thought the first story was alot stronger.

I finished The Last Of The Mohicans. At roughly 250 pages it was supposed to be a quick read but I got bogged down in it. I liked it in places and my general feeling is that it's alright. Some good characters and I believe it helped popularise wild frontier stories.

I liked how it was set in the upper New York/Hudson River area. It made a change from stories set on the ranges and plains of the Midwest.

Now I'm reading A Feast For Crows by George R.R. Martin before watching the current season of Game of Thrones.

Really enjoyed The Silkworm. Definitely stronger than the first Cormoran Strike book, and the resolution was a lot more realistic!

Aenaes wrote: »
    I thought the first story was alot stronger.

I finished The Last Of The Mohicans. At roughly 250 pages it was supposed to be a quick read but I got bogged down in it. I liked it in places and my general feeling is that it's alright. Some good characters and I believe it helped popularise wild frontier stories.

I liked how it was set in the upper New York/Hudson River area. It made a change from stories set on the ranges and plains of the Midwest.

Now I'm reading A Feast For Crows by George R.R. Martin before watching the current season of Game of Thrones.

I read The Last of the Mohicans a few years ago. I love the film so I really was looking forward to reading it, but like you I just got very bogged down in it and I didn't enjoy it at all. One of the few cases I think where I thought the film was better than the book.
    As for Game of Thrones - the sheer size of the books puts me off. At the moment for some reason I am struggling to read at all. I've lost my "mojo" :eek:

I'm still reading Eyrie by Tim Winton. I started it last weekend and was tearing through it but then I realised I'd be finished it in no time and was enjoying it way too much to only spend a day or two with it. So now I'm trying to ration it, a few chapters a night. Every one of Winton's books I read push him further in front of everyone else on my favourite author list.

• Advertisement
Advertisement