Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Corona virus and social protection

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Snow_White1987

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Fair play to you, I've seen your excellent posts and advice. What line are in? I'm just sorry you've not only had to deal with a decline in business but this outrageous targetting of self employed. Whilst I don't begrudge anyone, the TWSS is beggars belief, there's 1000's on this despite still laid off completely and the payments up to €2800 pm, we're is the fairness in that, the government are hell bent on ending pup but yet seem happy to continue TWSS which for many is actually the same thing albeit costing far more.

Hopefully you'll get the reduced rate resolved, one thing for sure is when pup ends, supports will have to continue albeit JSA/JSB, keep positive :)

I’m in media so once Covid hit, most of what I earned went under! I was promised pay that then went to 60/90 days between invoices etc so I’m owed months of work but no clue if or when I’ll ever see the earnings.

I have some prospects for the later half of the year that should kick in by end of August (fingers crossed as I haven’t stopped searching or looking for work since the pandemic hit) so while I do need the PUP at this point, I hope to need nothing else once it ends.

If my rate stays reduced I am owed a week back pay which would help but who knows if we’ll ever get that!

And I feel due to the rigidity of the rules for the PUP rates that the newly self-employed will lose out so I haven’t high hopes of my appeal being successful. I’m even worried they’ll find a way to stop the small payment on Tuesday just because I’m self-employed!

It so feels that the little people are getting targeted during this. Especially as I know of a person who works in a building society and can see people getting full wages and still the €350 Covid payment - it’s nuts.

I’ve sent all my 2019 tax details to my accountant anyhow so I’m at least going to get those filed and paid now if I can (I’ve earned last year over €199 per week as self-employed) to see if this might help with any backdated payments if they won’t consider my PAYE earnings for 2018. They may not but at least 2019 will be there if they ask for it.

Thank you very much, your posts are always so helpful here, I hope you get back to work soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I’m in media so once Covid hit, most of what I earned went under! I was promised pay that then went to 60/90 days between invoices etc so I’m owed months of work but no clue if or when I’ll ever see the earnings.

I have some prospects for the later half of the year that should kick in by end of August (fingers crossed as I haven’t stopped searching or looking for work since the pandemic hit) so while I do need the PUP at this point, I hope to need nothing else once it ends.

If my rate stays reduced I am owed a week back pay which would help but who knows if we’ll ever get that!

And I feel due to the rigidity of the rules for the PUP rates that the newly self-employed will lose out so I haven’t high hopes of my appeal being successful. I’m even worried they’ll find a way to stop the small payment on Tuesday just because I’m self-employed!

It so feels that the little people are getting targeted during this. Especially as I know of a person who works in a building society and can see people getting full wages and still the €350 Covid payment - it’s nuts.

I’ve sent all my 2019 tax details to my accountant anyhow so I’m at least going to get those filed and paid now if I can (I’ve earned last year over €199 per week as self-employed) to see if this might help with any backdated payments if they won’t consider my PAYE earnings for 2018. They may not but at least 2019 will be there if they ask for it.

Thank you very much, your posts are always so helpful here, I hope you get back to work soon :)

Media hit particularly bad, I was once in the hotel business and luckily left it 8 years ago. Rest assured, they can't leave people high and dry there'll be something even if it's jsa, you'll have been notified if claim suspended so you should be OK for Tuesday, take a peak at your my welfare account, you'll see awarded if still active but I believe if anyone has payment stopped they are notified, take care for now :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Media hit particularly bad, I was once in the hotel business and luckily left it 8 years ago. Rest assured, they can't leave people high and dry there'll be something even if it's jsa, you'll have been notified if claim suspended so you should be OK for Tuesday, take a peak at your my welfare account, you'll see awarded if still active but I believe if anyone has payment stopped they are notified, take care for now :)

I can’t see the “awarded” thing anywhere but I never could as I haven’t confirmed the account fully as you need another number to do this as I understand (one that isn’t your PPSN) and I’m still waiting on this card to arrive - I don’t think you can confirm your account without it?

I confirmed my eligibility on the 1st and 2nd so assume if it was going to be stopped I’d have heard by now (unless they are waiting until tomorrow to inform people!!)

I can’t see the “awarded” thing anywhere but I never could as I haven’t confirmed the account fully as you need another number to do this as I understand (one that isn’t your PPSN) and I’m still waiting on this card to arrive - I don’t think you can confirm your account without it?

I confirmed my eligibility on the 1st and 2nd so assume if it was going to be stopped I’d have heard by now (unless they are waiting until tomorrow to inform people!!)

You'll be fine, the payment file is sent on Thursday evening so you'll have been notified etc, they don't just stop without notification. The 13th july eligibility deadline only ends tonight so youve completed that we'll in advance. The dept have said failure to complete MAY affect your claim etc :)

You'll be fine, the payment file is sent on Thursday evening so you'll have been notified etc, they don't just stop without notification. The 13th july eligibility deadline only ends tonight so youve completed that we'll in advance. The dept have said failure to complete MAY affect your claim etc :)

Phew! That’s a relief, thank you so much :)

For some reason, I always thought the payment file was sent on a Monday!

• Advertisement

Phew! That’s a relief, thank you so much :)

For some reason, I always thought the payment file was sent on a Monday!

Yep Monday, has to be sent to various financial institutions, post offices etc, electronic payments have to be done in advance of date due etc. Have a nice evening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Got 500 less in my pay in May and a further 500 less in June due to being put on a week 1 basis. Am getting wage subsidy through work and a top up from work. Bit what the hell is going on, I'm down 1000 euro in my last paycheck.

They say it's because been put on week 1 basis, does that make sense. What do that mean ??

Got 500 less in my pay in May and a further 500 less in June due to being put on a week 1 basis. Am getting wage subsidy through work and a top up from work. Bit what the hell is going on, I'm down 1000 euro in my last paycheck.

They say it's because been put on week 1 basis, does that make sense. What do that mean ??

I'm not an expert but revenue did put everyone on week one, this was to help in working out tax liability at year end, there is not taxation at source for TWSS so your employer is possibly mistaken here.

My advice is search boards for a thread on this, there's an excellent one dealing with TWSS issues, problems etc, more expertise on taxation there

I'm not an expert but revenue did put everyone on week one, this was to help in working out tax liability at year end, there is not taxation at source for TWSS so your employer is possibly mistaken here.

My advice is search boards for a thread on this, there's an excellent one dealing with TWSS issues, problems etc, more expertise on taxation there

Yep Monday, has to be sent to various financial institutions, post offices etc, electronic payments have to be done in advance of date due etc. Have a nice evening :)

You too, thanks again!

• Advertisement

And nothing here about the thousands of self-employed who were affected by the cuts thanks to the new two-tier rate system:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/number-receiving-coronavirus-unemployment-payment-falls-by-67-000-1.4303208?mode=amp

Still nothing from the email address and no one on the helpline knows anything else on it - it’s appalling!

And nothing here about the thousands of self-employed who were affected by the cuts thanks to the new two-tier rate system:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/number-receiving-coronavirus-unemployment-payment-falls-by-67-000-1.4303208?mode=amp

Still nothing from the email address and no one on the helpline knows anything else on it - it’s appalling!

Yes, noticed this on news at one, disgraceful . Only bit of good news was they are bringing in legislation to allow social ins contributions to be attached retrospectively to the payments.

No word on extension or cessation also

Yes, noticed this on news at one, disgraceful . Only bit of good news was they are bringing in legislation to allow social ins contributions to be attached retrospectively to the payments.

No word on extension or cessation also

The contributions bit confused me (I’m a bit useless when it comes to anything tax-related!), what does it mean exactly?

They didn’t mention an extension per say but could the “July stimulus package” they are working on possibly cover an extension? It may...

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭ATC110

Do PRSI credits when in receipt of the PUP apply to the self-employed too?

ATC110 wrote: »

It doesn’t specify but I’m going to assume so as they can’t just forget about the self-employed!

Not sure but given the allowed for benifits for self employed a few years back Id assume it will apply. Keep an eye out for the legislation, it will probably be a week or 2 before it's formulated

• Registered Users Posts: 17 amd1982

It’s a disgrace a week and not even an acknowledgment of an email we can presume tomorrow will be paid at the lower rate also

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭ATC110

Has anyone received a decision on their appeal against the PUP rate reduction?

I received a secure email on 2nd July through MyWelfare stating the payment was being reduced with an appeals address of:

COVID 19 Unemployment Payments
    PO Box 12896
    Dublin 1

I appealed in writing on 2nd July by registered post but have yet to receive a reply.

I see on Money Guide Ireland there is an email option to PUPRerate@welfare.ie OR write to: PUP Rerate Requests, DEASP, Intreo Centre, Cork Road, Waterford.

Does anyone know if the PO Box address in Dublin and the email address are both valid?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

I received a secure email on 2nd July through MyWelfare stating the payment was being reduced with an appeals address of:

PO Box 12896
    Dublin 1

I appealed in writing on 2nd July by registered post but have yet to receive a reply.

I see on Money Guide Ireland there is an email option to PUPRerate@welfare.ie OR write to: PUP Rerate Requests, DEASP, Intreo Centre, Cork Road, Waterford.

Does anyone know if the PO Box address in Dublin and the email address are both valid?

Those contact details on Money Guide Ireland http://www.moneyguideireland.com/covid-19-pandemic-unemployment-payment.html are correct.

Also given on Gov.ie https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/f46ad-covid-19-pandemic-unemployment-re/

PO Box 12896
    Dublin 1

I’ve sent multiple emails since last Monday and nothing yet on mine.

I applied via email as I assumed posting would take even longer to get a reply but either camp has heard nothing from what I can gather.

I’d email as well, just to be on the safe side.

• Advertisement

amd1982 wrote: »
    It’s a disgrace a week and not even an acknowledgment of an email we can presume tomorrow will be paid at the lower rate also

I assume this also, it’s been handled awfully.

But it seems there is nothing we can do but wait.

There appears to be some movement on the PUP, Michael mc grath and Heather Humphries seem to be saying there won't be a cliff edge end to pup with the payment being put on a statutory basis (I presume further legislation to extend)

This appears the first confirmation (albeit vague) some sort of payment will continue

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

There appears to be some movement on the PUP, Michael mc grath and Heather Humphries seem to be saying there won't be a cliff edge end to pup with the payment being put on a statutory basis (I presume further legislation to extend)

This appears the first confirmation (albeit vague) some sort of payment will continue

I hope so, as an airport worker I don't see myself back in work this side of Christmas.

I hope so, as an airport worker I don't see myself back in work this side of Christmas.

Airport workers sometimes over looked in this entire crisis, sorry to hear about your own situation. I agree, it's not looking good for travel. Hopefully there will be some positive news on continued supports for those affected

Did any self-employed who had rates mistakenly cut last week see them upped by chance?

Despite multiple calls and emails I’ve not heard a word and am still on the reduced rate when I should be on the full rate.

I’m totally stuck as to what to do next!

Did any self-employed who had rates mistakenly cut last week see them upped by chance?

Despite multiple calls and emails I’ve not heard a word and am still on the reduced rate when I should be on the full rate.

I’m totally stuck as to what to do next!

Morning,

There's another Thread I've been following, this posted yesterday, it's not much help but it's an update of sorts

It looks like one issue is how to reinstate, there doesn't appear to have been a mechanism planned for such a scenario, just a guess on my part

Just to add a bit to the above. I'm self-employed and posted my taxes in 2018, late, but posted and paid, and I was cut to €203. For an FYI, I was onto the DEASP about the PUP rerate and had to email my F11. I was just on to them again and was told that payments won't be reinstated this week, the optimistic view is next week, but at the same time it could be another 2 or 3 weeks. Also the person on the phone didn't know how the DEASP were going to settle the deducted portion of the payment, they haven't been told that yet. That's it so far.

Morning,

There's another Thread I've been following, this posted yesterday, it's not much help but it's an update of sorts

It looks like one issue is how to reinstate, there doesn't appear to have been a mechanism planned for such a scenario, just a guess on my part

Just to add a bit to the above. I'm self-employed and posted my taxes in 2018, late, but posted and paid, and I was cut to €203. For an FYI, I was onto the DEASP about the PUP rerate and had to email my F11. I was just on to them again and was told that payments won't be reinstated this week, the optimistic view is next week, but at the same time it could be another 2 or 3 weeks. Also the person on the phone didn't know how the DEASP were going to settle the deducted portion of the payment, they haven't been told that yet. That's it so far.

Thank you so much for this!

Could you tell me the link to the other thread? I’d be interested in following it...

Thank you so much for this!

Could you tell me the link to the other thread? I’d be interested in following it...

It's under Government Benefits Megathread, not sure how to copy url, search Covid-19 you should find it, there's not as many self employed on this thread, just thought the post I copied to you might be of interest :)

It's under Government Benefits Megathread, not sure how to copy url, search Covid-19 you should find it, there's not as many self employed on this thread, just thought the post I copied to you might be of interest :)

Just got it, thanks a million!

• Advertisement

Just got it, thanks a million!

Great, surprisingly no one has thought to create a thread for self employed facing these difficulties

Advertisement