Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting stronger getting older

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Bench press

40kg x 5
    50kg x 6
    55kg x 6
    60kg x 6
    65kg x 6
    70kg x 6

DB rows 30kg x 3 x 8

My right shoulder was weird this morning. Maybe I slept on it or something or may have something to do with the tightness I was experiencing during squatting. I didn’t push any further and called it a day. If it continues then I’ll go to my voodoo healer.

In other news, when I have time, I’m totally going to make an attachment add on for my new cable machine that’ll allow me to do seated rows and belt squats

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Candy Toe had a video on a belt squat attachment for a rack that looked relatively handy to make up.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9MPZ_6o-Li8

Candy Toe had a video on a belt squat attachment for a rack that looked relatively handy to make up.

That looks really handy indeed. Thank you

Ohp

30kg x 6
    35kg x 6
    37.5kg x 6

DB Rev fly 13kg x 3 x 12

DB incline bench 22kg x 3 x 10

Facepulls 31.8kg x 3 x 12

Today was more a loosen my shoulders up and see if that niggle was still there. It is, slightly. It’s not that bad so I really should get it seen to, rather than letting it go and injuring myself. I’ll book in an apt asap.

Db bench is something I’ll continue to do. It has to be almost neutral grip as I’m really confined with the space. An inch wider and I’m hitting off things.

Might be worth looking at what may potentially be causing the shoulder problem since it seems to be a recurring issue.

• Advertisement

Might be worth looking at what may potentially be causing the shoulder problem since it seems to be a recurring issue.

Yea he’s very vague in his diagnosis but he gets results all the same, in 1-2 sessions. I got the best part of a year out of the last treatment.
    Honestly I’d say it’s just old mma injuries and the nature of my work that flares it up. Awkward movements never suited me.

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Yea he’s very vague in his diagnosis but he gets results all the same, in 1-2 sessions. I got the best part of a year out of the last treatment.
    Honestly I’d say it’s just old age mma injuries and the nature of my work that flares it up. Awkward movements never suited me.

True enough

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

True enough

Probably nearer the truth , I used to get shoulder niggles swimming with paddles and most of the other lads around my age would complain of the same .
    I've never been to a physio in my life but I could generally fix my shoulder niggles by getting a resistance band thing and attaching it to a door handle and doing some light stretching/strengthing in all directions .

new2tri19 wrote: »
    Probably nearer the truth , I used to get shoulder niggles swimming with paddles and most of the other lads around my age would complain of the same .
    I've never been to a physio in my life but I could generally fix my shoulder niggles by getting a resistance band thing and attaching it to a door handle and doing some light stretching/strengthing in all directions .

Ah, I’m learning as I go. The last time I had a shoulder niggle in my left I decided to do 2 courses of smolov jr bench back to back. That’s up there with the stupidest things I’ve ever done in weigh lifting.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Try supersetting banded pull aparts between each Bench set - if you haven't done so already.

Also - warm up by lying face down on Bench with a very light DB in each band and do high rep sets of DB Reverse Flys out to the side (90 degrees) and then diagonally out in front (45 degrees?). Rear delts should be on fire after 3x10-20 which may help shoulders during rest of Bench workout.

• Advertisement

Deadlift

100kg x 6
    115kg x 6
    125kg x 6
    135kg x 6
    145kg x 6

The weight moved well. Nothing was a struggle. Probably could have done 12 reps on each but I’m pretty sure that’s against the law.

I hate higher reps.

My minor shoulder has been overshadowed by something I twinged imagine my neck. Like a constant crik that starts in my neck and goes down the trap and into the neck. I wasn’t sure if deadlifting would’ve even be an option. Found it hard to drag my ass outa bed. Glad I did. As soon as I warmed up I was fine. Didn’t do the lat raises as I didn’t want to aggravate the shoulder.

Wishbone split squats

20kg x 8 (each leg)
    30kg x 8
    40kg x 8

Trying to find a working weight to build on going forward. I found a new way of setting this up. Instead of squatting at the side and using the rack safeties as my safety, I put the barbell across the 2 Safeties and squat at the front. I don’t like how the barbell(safety) bends so I’ll make a new safety from box steel.
    This is a lovely exercise and it burns the bejaysus out of my quads and glutes.

GHR x 3 x 10

Bench press 2

DB bench 25kg x 4 x 12

BB Row 60kg x 4 x 10

Ohp 35kg x 3 x 10

Tricep pushdowns underhand grip x 3 x 10

I’m dropping ohp as a main lift for this program. 2 main benching days. I’ll try progress on the dumbells with hypertrophy more in mind.

Tried the Bossarky warmup and it seems to have worked for benching anyway. I won’t squat until I get the shoulder checked, which is tomorrow morning.

The dumbells moved quite well. Good burn and no massive struggle.

Ohp felt heavy, as it should after the benching.

Hopefully shoulder is nothing serious good luck in physio

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Patsy167 wrote: »

I’ll try that, thank you. Hopefully it won’t make my arms any longer as my ohp is bad enough as it is

Squat

Wishbone squat 80kg x 4 x 10

Rdl 100kg x 3 x 8

GHR x 3 x 10

Just because I shouldnt squat doesn’t mean I can’t squat something. I tried these out double leg. Nice quad pump and will be introduced at some stage as a B or C excersise.

Got the box steel but need to weld on the pins. Today I rested it on 2 j hooks

Edit

Bench press

55kg x 6
    60kg x 6
    65kg x 6
    70kg x 6
    72.5kg x 6

BB row 62.5kg x 4 x 10
    DB Rev flys 13kg x 4 x 10

Facepulls 34kg x 3 x 15

Ab wheel x 2 x 10

I did my new shoulder warmup and started hanging from a pull-up bar to fix my old shoulders. I’ll try keep routine this going forward regardless of shoulder issues. Prevention is the best cure n all that.
    My voodoo healer seems to have helped a good bit but another session or 2 needed.
    Safety squat bar is on order. ITS FOR MY INJURY, STOP JUDGING ME!!!!

Decided to superset the rows and flys to get a good back pump going. It worked. Flys were particularly hard as my I had already done about 60 light ones in the warmups

Stopped at set 2 as I started to feel a strain in my shoulder.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

You literally will have a whole gym in there haha

You literally will have a whole gym in there haha

Getting out of hand. Ive no idea where I’m going to put the rowing machine I want to buy

• Advertisement

Is that all in the house you're doing up?

Cos I'm just thinking of the hassle of moving it all to lift floors

Deadlift

100kg x 6
    120kg x 6
    130kg x 6
    140kg x 6
    150kg x 6
    ** all bealtless

All beltless. Slightly twinged my back on the very last rep. The weight moved fine all throughout.

Wishbone split squat

45kg x 3 x 10 each leg

More weight and reps than the last day. Massive quad pump. I can hardly walk. Think I’ll build a j hook of some description to hold these. The new safety is perfect but it’s a bjtch starting on your knee.

Skipped GHR as I find it taxing on the back at times. Don’t want to risk anything.

Leg extension 50kg x 3 x 12

Oh my quads.
    Did these double leg to save time. Off like a duck I go

30 second pull-up bar hang

My new engineering feat. Heavy grade 50mm box, weld 2 25mm rods, paint blue and fabulous. Done.

Bench press 2

DB bench 27kg x 4 x 12

BB row 62.5kg x 3 x 12

Ohp 35kg x 3 x 10
    DB Rev flys 13kg x 3 x 12

The 27’s were a tad more challenging today. I’d say I’ll max out at 29 x 12 then move the reps down to get the weight up.

Rows were handy. Plenty more movement for the weight to increase

Ohp was tiring. Shoulder felt ok.

Squat

Wishbone squat

100kg x 5 x 10

GHR x 3 x 10

These were fine. I’m giving my shoulder a little time to heal so this movement will keep the wheels turning.
    Slept it out so didn’t get much work in today

Bench press

50kg x 6
    55kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    65kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    75kg x 5

Only a tiny bit of qwareness in the shoulder. Weights felt light throughout. Really happy with these today.

BB row 65kg x 4 x 12

Starting to feel these around 10.

Tricep pushdows 25kg x 3 x 15
    DB Rev flys 13kg x 3 x 15

Found the actual piece of kit (well, he'd linked to where you can buy it) so you get a better idea of what it looks like

https://coahulla-iron.myshopify.com/products/belt-squat-attachment

Found the actual piece of kit (well, he'd linked to where you can buy it) so you get a better idea of what it looks like

https://coahulla-iron.myshopify.com/products/belt-squat-attachment

I’d make that in 10 mins. Thank you

Handy to be good at welding theres nothing in alot of these fitness attachments and they want mad money for them , head down to local steel fabricatior and they probably knock one up in a few minutes .

• Advertisement

Only saw the link today and looked it and thought it looked handy for someone who has the gear to knock together!

Advertisement