Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday 28/11

Options
  • 25-11-2015 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭

Anything bigger than 2/1 about Irving in the Fighting Fifth at Newcastle seems to be nothing less than an early Xmas present . Only has the Hound that is Wicklow Brave to beat on Saturday, how he is favourite over Irving i cant understand. Max bet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

akelly02 wrote: »
    Anything bigger than 2/1 about Irving in the Fighting Fifth at Newcastle seems to be nothing less than an early Xmas present . Only has the Hound that is Wicklow Brave to beat on Saturday, how he is favourite over Irving i cant understand. Max bet.

I'd have the complete opposite opinion . Should be a good race. A hound isn't a good description of Wicklow .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Is Arctic Fire definitely not running?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭kalinisi

aidankkk wrote: »
    I'd have the complete opposite opinion . Should be a good race. A hound isn't a good description of Wicklow .
    \

Irvings jumping for me would leave a question mark in this grade, ive backed him the last twice i do like the horse, at the prices and if the ground is not heavy id be happy to back hargam e/w always liked how he jumps think identity thief could run well if he goes there too looked an improved horse to me at down royal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

it is when he practicely refuses to race 1 week then the next he goes and wins a handicap by half the track at Chelt next time out

kalinisi wrote: »
    \

Irvings jumping for me would leave a question mark in this grade, ive backed him the last twice i do like the horse, at the prices and if the ground is not heavy id be happy to back hargam e/w always liked how he jumps think identity thief could run well if he goes there too looked an improved horse to me at down royal

Hargam couldnt beat fergusons horse at chelt a few weeks ago i wouldnt even look at him unless ground was quick.

• Advertisement

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Is Arctic Fire definitely not running?

according to mullins hes saved for ireland on sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

it is when he practicely refuses to race 1 week then the next he goes and wins a handicap by half the track at Chelt next time out

Still one win in 3 of those handicaps at 33/1 isn't to be sniffed at . He looks more consistent lately at the start and I think he looked very good lately time . Artic fire would be a huge treat but he's running in Ireland apparently .,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

Purple Bay could out run his odds on his 2nd to faugheen last xmas, he is fine with soft and ferguson has aimed this race for him he said. 16/1 ew now might not be so bad if a few of these are to drop out.

Still one win in 3 of those handicaps at 33/1 isn't to be sniffed at . He looks more consistent lately at the start and I think he looked very good lately time . Artic fire would be a huge treat but he's running in Ireland apparently .,

Wicklow had a huge run behind faugheen and nichols canyon but i think that race will be prove to be a nothing race in time. i think wicklow was flattered. Irving proven in G1 company will do for me on his preffered soft surface..throwing in whisper at newbury and Kitchsko KO Vs Fury for a nice dream Saturday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Wicklow Brave is a ridiculous price to be fair. Irving should be fav.

• Advertisement

Johner wrote: »
    Wicklow Brave is a ridiculous price to be fair. Irving should be fav.

I think Irving is more if a 6-4 shot so ill br piling in at 2s or bigger

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pugw

I think Wicklow Brave is way over-priced.
    I backed Irving the last day, I wouldn't regard him as the dependable type though. At those prices I reckon it may be worth going on Top Notch e/w and hoping he can reverse form with Irving.
    Thought he travelled well throughout, he caught the last two hurdles to be beaten 1 & 1/4 lengths.
    14s v/s 11/4 :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Bangor Billy

If Top Notch turns up I would fancy him to beat Irving. Carried plenty of condition on Saturday and I said immediately after the race that if Top Notch had been fit the result would have been reversed.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭uxiant

The Fighting Fifth looks a horrible Grade 1. I wouldn't go near Wicklow Brave as I think fitness more than anything got him so close to Faugheen and Nichols Canyon. The form of the juveniles last year isn't turning out the strongest either. All the talk last month was Purple Bay making his reappearance here so maybe he badly needed the run the last day and can turn things around?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

F 5th has chucked up a few shocks over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

uxiant wrote: »
    The Fighting Fifth looks a horrible Grade 1. I wouldn't go near Wicklow Brave as I think fitness more than anything got him so close to Faugheen and Nichols Canyon. The form of the juveniles last year isn't turning out the strongest either. All the talk last month was Purple Bay making his reappearance here so maybe he badly needed the run the last day and can turn things around?

As i mentioned above he is a big price, needed the run badly lto seeing as his last was last xmas behind faugheen, plus this is back to 2miles which is his trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Bangor Billy

Well he certainly ran badly lto! That run at Aintree was awful and he would have to come on a hell of a lot for it to figure here.

Top Notch is 10/1 in a place that seems very big

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Irving 7/2 in Boyles now.

byronbay2 wrote: »
    Irving 7/2 in Boyles now.

Ami gone mad or is that huge?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

I've been following Irving for a long time and tbh, I think this race is coming too soon after last Saturday.

That was a hard race for him to say the least. Top Notch might come on for his effort and a Mullins horse leading the betting always has to be respected.

I'll still be supporting Irving but it won't be a pile job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

uxiant wrote: »

Absolutely agree. Wicklow Brave has been running on the flat since Cheltenham and was well fit for last weeks contest. Think it could be another Captain Cee Bee finishing third to The Fly and Our Conor sort of thing. I think Irving is less than trustworthy but I'd certainly have him favourite over Wicklow Brave.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

skippymac6 wrote: »
    Absolutely agree. Wicklow Brave has been running on the flat since Cheltenham and was well fit for last weeks contest. Think it could be another Captain Cee Bee finishing third to The Fly and Our Conor sort of thing. I think Irving is less than trustworthy but I'd certainly have him favourite over Wicklow Brave.

I remember Marito and Mikael D'haguenet getting very close to Hurricane Fly on his reappearance a couple of years ago. I would be in agreement that Wicklow Brave's run flattered him. What price would he be without that run? He's been very hit and miss since his novice season and although this is a poor Grade 1 at least Irving has won a Grade 1.

Johner wrote: »
    I remember Marito and Mikael D'haguenet getting very close to Hurricane Fly on his reappearance a couple of years ago. I would be in agreement that Wicklow Brave's run flattered him. What price would he be without that run? He's been very hit and miss since his novice season and although this is a poor Grade 1 at least Irving has won a Grade 1.

Exactly another 100 yards and Maarito would have bet the Fly with Katie aboard. Top Notch is my danger with Irving taking a while to get on top and Top Notch will no doubt improve. Irving won this last year beating arctic Fire in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Gary Gurny

Exactly another 100 yards and Maarito would have bet the Fly with Katie aboard. Top Notch is my danger with Irving taking a while to get on top and Top Notch will no doubt improve. Irving won this last year beating arctic Fire in the process.

Anyone giving beltor a shout? Has a stone to find on the top two in the betting but showed immense promise last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭BurtMacklin

PP sent me one a text enhancing Saphir Du Rheu from 7/2 to 11/2 in the Hennessy.

What do ye think of SDR on Saturday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

no way he should be favorite.
    he's not even close to a 172 rating on any form I've seen of his, and when he has his jumping properly tested I wouldn't be surpised if we see some mistakes like last season.

if I was to back anything in the race it'd be Houblon Des Obeaux e/w.
    loves the cut in the ground, 2nd last year, finished ahead of some decent horses when 2nd to Conygree in the Denman back in February.
    if they go any kind of decent pace he'll be staying on through a lot of knackered horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

PP sent me one a text enhancing Saphir Du Rheu from 7/2 to 11/2 in the Hennessy.

What do ye think of SDR on Saturday?

Top weight? Not sure he's a denman

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Houblon des Obeaux is a good shout. Pound lower than 4l of Grand National winner Many Clouds giving him 6lbs in this last year. Definitely worth a look.

Theatre Guide is another whose run well in this and is better off in the weights.

Those are my two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭mountai

Tipped this last time out in Newcastle and duly obliged at18/1. Not much to go on since but at 25/1 I will be having an EW cut on Milborough. BOL.

Advertisement