Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

request for assistance in dealing with aggressive teacher

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,823 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Garibaldi? wrote: »
    The teacher did not assault the child. Full stop. He/she could probably have been kinder. True. The teacher is probably aware of that himself/herself. But to pursue that issue is to flog a dead horse.These issues are frequently fuelled by onlookers who have nothing to lose by meddling and passing comments. Like people who stop at the scene of an accident although they have nothing to contribute to assisting the injured. The pupil at the centre of this story could find himself/herself embroiled in a time and energy consuming "I said, he/she said" scenario, The sort of self-righteous and non-productive drama which diverts a pupil's attention from the actual purpose of being in school. The spectators will have long forgotten the incident and will be concentrating on passing their exams. The parent needs to carefully consider how he/she will address this situation. I would certainly let the teacher know that my child had been upset. Then I would swiftly move on in search of a solution.

The spectators are probably worried that they could be next... forgetting something is a fûck up... people don’t forget on purpose...

Class mates don’t want to be educated in an atmosphere where if they make a mistake or oversight ie. forgetting a book they are on the end of an adult, an educator, an example setter, loosing their shît.

Bullies in whatever guise need to have their attitudes and behaviors dealt with and adjusted, if their employers are not willing to impose a solution as needed its worthwhile escalating... talking to other parents, writing to the department of education, whatever...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭The DayDream

amacca wrote: »
    In what job in the private sector are you the boss and expected to achieve outcomes with the people you instruct where a significant cohort of the people you are supposed to instruct do the exact opposite of what you ask them to do (and these are not unreasonable requests - - you know bring materials, carry out simple tasks, don't disrupt others, make a reasonable effort etc) putting the quality of their outcomes in jeopardy and their colleagues and making the working environment an incredibly stressful and tense place on a regular basis for everyone except themselves and the significant number of students that come to school with zero intention of doing anything but disrupt, bully and intimidate.

If you want to compare to the private sector lets not compare apples to oranges .... what job in the private sector where you need minimum degree and postgrad to work there are you expected remain powerless in the face of dip****tery like that on a continuous basis?

Ah here get a grip of yourself teacher, it's a kid who forgot a book, not an armed terrorist or leader of a jailhouse gang plotting to disrupt, bully, intimidate, stress out, etc. Those are the reactions of the teacher (adult) and not the intentions of the student (child).

There are plenty of private sector jobs where you deal with dip$h!ts on a regular basis. Any job where you deal with the public basically. Every shop you go into the person working there has to deal with it, and guess what a lot of them have degrees, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Bad day? I have bad days but I've never lashed out at anyone in work because I would be severely sanctioned, brought in front of HR sent home etc, if I did.
    Why aren't teachers punished the same? Oh, right, because they're untouchable.

In that case the teacher should apologise to the student, the parent and do it humbly in front of the class.

If someone in the private sector behaved like that they would (rightfully) be out on their ass. Why is that allowed to happen?

I think people realize how difficult it actually is to get kids to do what you need them to do academically after lockdown. Sometimes the fact you care gets the better of the calm you. As I said above though, you should apologize, even as a lesson to the students on how adults should behave after loosing their temper, if they do. In saying that it's happened to me probably twice a decade and the incidents would have been far more serious than forgetting a book, anyone could do that never mind a child with SEN. I would also have had a reputation for being very even tempered and very positive, that may have helped contextualize the situation. You do have to give our occasionally though, to correct bahviours, to address issues but it should be done in a calm controlled way

It's important to hold students to a high standard to help them achieve their potential but I haven't found shouting to be very motivating. This child is lucky to be coming from a nice stable home, with at least one very engaged parent, if it was a different situation your just another adult shouting and it triggers kids with trauma. Although human, we are still in a position of relative power in the classroom, it's always good to keep that at the forefront of any interactions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

I think there should be a safety camera for an oversight body to be able to roll back and view incidents like this. Costs would be very low and the advantages obvious as a teacher could simply show it never happened.

Garibaldi? wrote: »
    The teacher in question could have chosen to take the line of least resistance here. It would have been much easier. When the pupil appeared without the required resources the teacher could have said"Don't worry about it. Try and follow the lesson as best you can". It's highly debatable whether that would have been in the child's interest.

Well clearly the best thing to do is scream & spit at the child in a rage. That's probably in the child's best interests

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

The amount of apologists for this behaviour is unbelieveable.

We've all gone to school, we all lnow that there are teachers that do this probably on a daily basis yet you have some here trying to blame a kid on why the teacher reacted that way.

One person even said leave it a couple of weeks before contacting the school? Why? So the school can say oh you shouldve contacted us sooner. The teacher to say that was 2 weeks ago I cant remember I teach X amount of classes.

Contact the school, request to speak to the teacher, find out their side and make it very clear in no uncertain circumstances you will not tolerate your child being shouted at and belittled by them or any teacher in the school.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Going round in circles here and attracting in the teacher haters.
    Thread closed.

Response from OP:

"Hi all, many thanks for your feedback. Obviously there was some diviation on opinions on what to do, accuracy of information from children appropriateness appropriateness of behaviour in schools, in the workspace etc etc.
    However it was good to get all the different views.
    In addition what was great was that there was widely common consensus that what's important here is the welfare of the child and maximising their learning opertunity.
    So thanks again for all the feedback."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement