Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland u20 6 nations and world championship 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Doak is the long term successor to Murray. Obviously Craig Casey will have plenty to say and it’s reliant on injuries etc but haven’t seen a 9 as good at this age as Doak in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,015 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Doak has a skillset and athleticism I've never seen from an Irish 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,857 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Piss poor refereeing... Jesus ... amateur hour. Says use it twice, they don’t, then penalizes us... Wales go over to score.

Any chance we can do a Jack Grealish on this McDonough lad?

Strategy for the commentators for when Kendellen gets the ball seems to be: fire out an Irishy sounding name beginning with K.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Good to extend lead back to 2 scores after those welsh scores.

And Front row subs made. both props replaced..

This ref has a had a bit of a mare for both teams.

Serious carry by Illo there

ClanofLams wrote: »
    This ref has a had a bit of a mare for both teams.
    He's like the players.. very raw at the elite level.

Good to get the BP now.

Empty the bench ahead of a potential slam decider v England on Thursday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,857 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Not rolling away ? He’d hardly hit the ground before the whistle went ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

So where was this domination Wales were going to have upfront?

• Registered Users Posts: 67,074 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Great result. Love watching that team play, loads of talent coming through the ranks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Jaysus! That was a performance. Was not expecting that! Some serious talent on display. Moxham really looks lively, bar the brainfart. Sheridan is monstrous. Serious engine on him. I can't see the provinces not taking these lads into the academies. Everyone of these boys looks the business.
    What's the thoughts on Loughnane? I know he was behind Stewart and Barron. I think he has a future!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Really impressive stuff. U20s generally my favourite comp to watch by a good bit, standard can be fairly high but they also haven't been coached to death yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭baas baa

Kendellen is very impressive but it's hard to make a pro comparison for him at 6 or 8. Similar to Hodnett and O'Donoghue who both excelled at 20s at 8 but their future at pro level seems to lie at 7. Will be hard to accommodate them all. Pom wasn't too dissimilar either but his lineout work allowed him to be an excellent no.6. Jack O'Sullivan iirc from a few years ago was arguably the most impressive at 20s level but is another one of those tweener players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Really enjoyable performance that, big step up from last week. As a team they played with more pace and urgency, and they looked like they knew where they were supposed to be. Think every player can go over that game and say 'yep I did really well there.'

Forwards did well, the welsh were bigger and were targeting us a ruck time. Will be interesting to see what Boyle is like as a ball carrier next year. We see to prefer other carriers this year but he's had a couple of nice runs. Kendellen and Soroka played to their reputations. Sheridan is a grafter, really interesting from an ulster perspective. He may not have thse top two inches to be elite and I don't think he has the body for a second row at the next level, but he's a tough player and plays above his weight. Just what we need really.

Backs ticked along nicely and played with purpose. Forde played well - did I read he plays 10 as well? Which is his best position? Osbourne went really well again, I hope Leinster are aiming for him to be a 15 long-term. I know squad needs might force him elsewhere but he looks so natural there. Cosgrave played ok and Moxham looks a great athlete - he hits very hard and he's deceptively quick. Brain-fart aside he played well. Wasn't sold on Doak before but that was the sort of game that made others rave about him.

Really enjoyable performance that, big step up from last week. As a team they played with more pace and urgency, and they looked like they knew where they were supposed to be. Think every player can go over that game and say 'yep I did really well there.'

Forwards did well, the welsh were bigger and were targeting us a ruck time. Will be interesting to see what Boyle is like as a ball carrier next year. We see to prefer other carriers this year but he's had a couple of nice runs. Kendellen and Soroka played to their reputations. Sheridan is a grafter, really interesting from an ulster perspective. He may not have thse top two inches to be elite and I don't think he has the body for a second row at the next level, but he's a tough player and plays above his weight. Just what we need really.

Backs ticked along nicely and played with purpose. Forde played well - did I read he plays 10 as well? Which is his best position? Osbourne went really well again, I hope Leinster are aiming for him to be a 15 long-term. I know squad needs might force him elsewhere but he looks so natural there. Cosgrave played ok and Moxham looks a great athlete - he hits very hard and he's deceptively quick. Brain-fart aside he played well. Wasn't sold on Doak before but that was the sort of game that made others rave about him.

Forde does play 10 as well. Ive mainly seen him play 10 and he's very good there. Hard to know where he's better though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭OldRio

Nothing to add but pure and utter enjoyment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,756 ✭✭✭✭bilston

OldRio wrote: »
    Nothing to add but pure and utter enjoyment.

It really was. I've become a but worn out by professional rugby lately, but this performance by Ireland was great for the soul.

I think we will be watching a lot of that side in the years to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67,074 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Typically, what percentage of underage teams end up in senior rugby? Maybe there aren't stats. Just wondering.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Doak looks the real deal. Outstanding performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Juventu4

Great performance, won the collisions against for what you could see was a bigger Welsh pack. Moxham and Osbourne look scarily good as its rare that Irish rugby produce those big fast athletic backs on a regular basis, having 2 at the same time is a bonus.
    No way Jack Boyle is 106kg as listed more likely 112kg. Will Soroka stick as a loosehead lock or Leinster decide to stick him at blindside?

Doak is Ruan Pienaar with gas.

And there's not a damn thing Nucifora can do to stop him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It's funny, we bench Illo and start Donnelly. Donnelly was excellent, scrummaged really well. I would assume that he's going into the academy. Byrne was also very good. He's got the size and he looks athletic. I think he will see action against England. Doak is quality. Ulster should send him down the turnpike to Dublin, immediately!
    Soroka looks at home in the 2nd row. We truly do have some serious talent atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Jaysus Doak is the ginger Conor Murray. Very good performance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Ireland vsEngland should be tasty encounter next week.

Typically, what percentage of underage teams end up in senior rugby? Maybe there aren't stats. Just wondering.

Senior pro rugby? High enough percentage but while most end up with provinces a fair few will end up playing in prod2/championship
    Ireland vsEngland should be tasty encounter next week.
    Should be real good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

Is the Ire v Eng game being broadcast live, I checked RTE and it's not listed on the EPG for Thur?

Advertisement