Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 visas

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,028 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

It has to go through the full process again starting with committee hearings. I don't expect this will ever become law.
    Chronic White House confusion. Confounds Congress. May have to wait for 2020 General Election.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ReturningForY

The 2019 E-3 bill is officially dead following Congress essentially ending the 2019 session this past Thursday.

Presumably the momentum in 2018 wasn't there this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,034 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The E-3 bill passed in the House today according to RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

The house passed it last time out also. Much tougher ask to get through the Senate. I won't hold my breath, Tom Cotton blocked it last time, no real reason to approve it this time but we'll see. I'd love to be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1 McK1994

So as I write this, it looks like a matter of hours before Biden wins the presidential election. I am wondering what impact this may or may not have on the hopes of the E3 visa being pass through the senate in 2021. Hopefully, there will be a renewed appetite for getting this passed with liberal Joe at the wheel.

Other considerations would be: Senate Elections - looks like the senate will still be republican, this could lead to further complications if the republican senate is not cooperating with the democratic White House.

Senate Application - as this bill was shelved last March due to Covid, I am wondering those this bill expire and will this need to go through the House of Representatives again or can this still be put to the senate as is.

COVID-19 - currently no european travellers are allowed into the US with a suspension in visa applications. Hopefully come the new year these restrictions will begin to lift. However if Biden takes a more conservative approach to Covid restrictions this could be delayed. Albeit a US vaccine looks to be announced imminently.

I would love to get an opportunity to work in the US in my profession of finance and the E3 visa seems like the most realistic hope has the H-1B visa seems near impossible and unpractical with the amount of hoops which need to be jumped through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

I remember when Pelosi was here she talked about an intention to push this through, and something about attaching it to a finance bill to ensure it would pass since the Senate does not need to give 100% support. Haven't seen or heard anything since, though this has been an exceptional year I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭ReturningForY

McK1994 wrote: »
    So as I write this, it looks like a matter of hours before Biden wins the presidential election. I am wondering what impact this may or may not have on the hopes of the E3 visa being pass through the senate in 2021. Hopefully, there will be a renewed appetite for getting this passed with liberal Joe at the wheel.

The election of Biden may help things, but overall the E3 situation is looking much worse that it was in March IMO. Unemployment in the US is very high right now with COVID, so adding a path for more foreign workers to come into the country is a hard sell. Other visa categories like H-1B and family-based green cards are currently subject to executive order entry restrictions because of labor market concerns.

I would say a much more likely approach is to come to the US to study and work afterwards (F-1 visa) or get a job with a multinational and get transferred over after you've been there at least a year (L-1 visa).

Advertisement