Thread Closed  

15-02-2018, 18:45   #16
Robxxx7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9726_9726 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robxxx7 View Post
Just ordered FTTH this morning ... long time waiting but finally it seems to be here ... Ordered the 300mb product ... Its going to make a huge difference compared to my current 5mb 30Gb monthly download limit FWA ...

Unfortunately the FWA is no longer fit for purpose and hasn't been for a while ... (received a couple of letters recently from provider advising me of going over my download limit numerous times -- 45Gb, 55Gb and 70Gb over the last 3 months)

30GB a *month*? Who's that?!
Permanet
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-02-2018, 18:51   #17
KeRbDoG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robxxx7 View Post
Just ordered FTTH this morning ... long time waiting but finally it seems to be here ... Ordered the 300mb product ... Its going to make a huge difference compared to my current 5mb 30Gb monthly download limit FWA ...
I did the same BUT some how my order got 'stuck in their system' with Eir. Up to 48 hours to fix but they stated that the services is indeed live in my area so hopefully its just their many billing/ordering systems being broken
Thanks from:
15-02-2018, 19:18   #18
digiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grab All Association View Post
Can you change the ONT unit btw? A neighbour here is really paranoid about the Chinese being involved.
Another vendor ONT is very unlikely to be compatible with the Chinese OLT!! So unless he is going to swap the OLT and possibly some more equipment behind that then it's not really going to get him over his paranoia!!

Anyhow, the ONT is a layer 2 device so it's not capable of seeing anything that he could be concerned about. It's basically a media converter from optical to electrical!!
15-02-2018, 19:25   #19
garroff

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiman View Post
Another vendor ONT is very unlikely to be compatible with the Chinese OLT!! So unless he is going to swap the OLT and possibly some more equipment behind that then it's not really going to get him over his paranoia!!

Anyhow, the ONT is a layer 2 device so it's not capable of seeing anything that he could be concerned about. It's basically a media converter from optical to electrical!!
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT coming after you!!!
15-02-2018, 19:31   #20
ED E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grab All Association View Post
Can you change the ONT unit btw? A neighbour here is really paranoid about the Chinese being involved.
As said:
OLT is Chinese
Aggregator is Chinese
Cisco is American but the NSA were still intercepting Fedex consignments, reprogramming them, then quietly sending them on their way...
If you use a mobile phone theres a large chance its talking to Huawei gear....

If you're paranoid, encrypt all your traffic. Dont care about the gear.
Advertisement
15-02-2018, 19:32   #21
oscarBravo
Custodiam ipsos custodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiman View Post

It's a bit more than a media converter. Because the downstream is a shared medium, each subscriber's connection is AES-encrypted. At installation time, the ONT is paired with the OLT using a one-time password.

For that reason alone, you can't just swap out your ONT. A replacement ONT would have to be re-paired with the OLT, which can only be done by an installation technician.

Of all the equipment that might be spying on you, your ONT is fairly far down the list. End-to-end encryption is your friend.
15-02-2018, 19:43   #22
digiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarBravo View Post
It's a bit more than a media converter. Because the downstream is a shared medium, each subscriber's connection is AES-encrypted. At installation time, the ONT is paired with the OLT using a one-time password.

For that reason alone, you can't just swap out your ONT. A replacement ONT would have to be re-paired with the OLT, which can only be done by an installation technician.

Of all the equipment that might be spying on you, your ONT is fairly far down the list. End-to-end encryption is your friend.
I was just keeping it to the basics, I know well there is more going on than that.

For someone in the know, the password is very easy to get by logging into the ONT. But it's not just the password that is the only way to authenticate the ONT to the OLT, you can also use the ONT serial number, serial number + password so if that is the case you would have some fun trying to log a fault with a wholesale provider such as OpenEir for them to re-provision the service with the new serial number.

However, the bigger problem would be getting an ONT from another supplier that will inter-operate with the OLT. The vendors make it difficult for this to be a smooth process as it is in their interest to sell their own ONTs with their OLTs rather than some 3rd party ONT.
15-02-2018, 19:52   #23
NIMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominique Loud Waistband View Post
It is hard to say. Is your premises included in this rollout?

http://fibrerollout.ie (Check Rural 300k)
No its not !! Damn.

The yellow lines on the map circle all the roads around us, except the one main road which actually comes across the front of my house.

Gits.

So I have to wait for that ill-fated plan which is likely going to be years away, if it ever happens.
15-02-2018, 19:57   #24
CD2017

Apologies as I am in no way tech savy but would anyone be able to explain what the Apple AirPort or Google WiFi are for? Moving soon and FTTH is "one the way" aparently but there is a chance that it might not reach our house (rage).... Any advice on the devices or best options otherwise would be really welcomed! TIA
Advertisement
15-02-2018, 20:02   #25
NIMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIMAN View Post
No its not !! Damn.

The yellow lines on the map circle all the roads around us, except the one main road which actually comes across the front of my house.

Gits.

So I have to wait for that ill-fated plan which is likely going to be years away, if it ever happens.
Does anyone think there would be any use to speaking to a local TD about why this one main road is being missed, and circled around?

Would there be any possibility of them getting a 1km stretch of road added into the plan?
15-02-2018, 20:41   #26
ED E

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIMAN View Post
Does anyone think there would be any use to speaking to a local TD about why this one main road is being missed, and circled around?
OE wont entertain it. If they did they'd be dealing with parish pump politics and rollout creep nationwide.
Thanks from:
15-02-2018, 20:45   #27
NIMAN

As I thought, but it seems strange that they would miss out what is a relatively main road with a lot of houses on it.

If you imagine an A

they are coming from the bottom left, heading north up to the apex, then back down the road on the right. I live on the horizontal road.

What a bummer.
15-02-2018, 20:57   #28
Grab All Association

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED E View Post
As said:
OLT is Chinese
Aggregator is Chinese
Cisco is American but the NSA were still intercepting Fedex consignments, reprogramming them, then quietly sending them on their way...
If you use a mobile phone theres a large chance its talking to Huawei gear....

If you're paranoid, encrypt all your traffic. Dont care about the gear.
He’s English so he’ll believe what the BBC are saying. At least Huawei don’t sell routers that the warranty sticker is already void on. Linksys router (at the time owned by Cisco) was literally disassembled in the box. It was bought over 10 years ago so I’ve no recourse. Only opened it last night.
15-02-2018, 21:24   #29
ED E

HP are shipping laptops with keyloggers in the sound drivers. They're all naughty.
15-02-2018, 21:50   #30
thehorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehorse View Post
There was a missing length of fibre cable that hadn’t been laid. About 800m in total.
KN PM contacted me today and he will have crews on site next week to complete the rollout. He told me we will be live in a few weeks as his crews will put in the ducting, fibre, splice and Test it.

Thank **** for that , I’m desperate to get high speed connection as I’ve needed it for sooo long as I work from home about 75% of the time.
Thread Closed