Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nervous about moving to Canada.

Options

Comments

newwan wrote: »
    Eh what? Don't go if u don't want to man. No one's forcing u or asking you to go

Simply stating that moving to Canada does not necessarily mean better quality of life as has been stated in this thread and others. You have to make life what it is, it doesn't get handed to you on a plate. I was in no way calling Canada Sh!t, I know it's not

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

Canada will be fine. Endless resources relative to population. Tight sensible border control. Everyone wants to reside there. They might have blips every now and again but even their blip would put the Celtic tiger to shame.

Have you seen what's happening on the US/Canada border? Tight, sensible border control? I think not.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Canada will be fine. Endless resources relative to population. Tight sensible border control. Everyone wants to reside there. They might have blips every now and again but even their blip would put the Celtic tiger to shame.

Unemployment is at 7%, thats not chronic but its really not great either.
    3rd level degree and good workers can be very wealthy there as opposed to struggling here.

Now I wouldn't like to be poor or uneducated there...

Where does this idea that Canada is the land of milk and honey come from? Like I do get that people make very good money catering to the resource extraction industry but thats a pretty limited amount of roles (and much reduced considering Albertas decline) in harsh conditions.

Lets look at some actual figures for hourly wages.

http://statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/labr69a-eng.htm

They aren't that different to Ireland really, Average in Sales and Services is 11.50 per hour, Average manufacturing 15.50 per hour, Average Business and Finance 18.20 euro per hour.

These might be a bit higher than Ireland but as an immigrant your also running into the issue that your experience is not considered completely relevant as well as the numerous other sacrifices living here results in.

Like why would somebody struggle in Ireland/EU/UK yet be wealthy here when we can see the wages arent vastly different.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭newwan

Not in my industry!

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

We have both had the equivalent of €13k pay rises with moving approx each for the same jobs. Plus petrol, rent and cars are much cheaper.

We find food more expensive but we seem to be getting a better idea of where the better prices are. Furniture is very expensive. Alcohol is pretty much the same, sometimes slightly cheaper. Overall with free healthcare we are significantly better off than Ireland.

We aren't living in Toronto so that may be why our experience has been like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭newwan

They aren't that different to Ireland really, Average in Sales and Services is 11.50 per hour, Average manufacturing 15.50 per hour, Average Business and Finance 18.20 euro per hour.
    I'd say the average wage is about the same alright but I'm not talking about average. If you are good you'll be very well off in Canada as opposed to here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I'd say the average wage is about the same alright but I'm not talking about average. If you are good you'll be very well off in Canada as opposed to here

I would disagree. I'm on what is considered a very good wage in Vancouver, but I still find it expensive and I would find it very hard to buy property here.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭joxer1988

This is it exactly. In Ireland, mediocrity is rewarded.

Simply this: If you are very good at what you do, you will do much better anywhere else in the Anglosphere than in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Hmmm why not go to the USA then because that sounds exactly like the way some Canadians describe here.
    Also I am not sure its true, it doesn't seem like Canada is full of Entrepreneurs, Start ups and business that are expanding overseas?
    We all have different experiences though but I have a feeling your view is very sector specific (and I will admit I don't know much about Canada though).

Edit: Also if what your saying is true we would be seeing a higher level of income inequality in Canada, where as its only marginally higher than Ireland

http://www.conferenceboard.ca/hcp/details/society/income-inequality.aspx

Hmmm why not go to the USA then because that sounds exactly like the way some Canadians describe here.
    Also I am not sure its true, it doesn't seem like Canada is full of Entrepreneurs, Start ups and business that are expanding overseas?
    We all have different experiences though but I have a feeling your view is very sector specific (and I will admit I don't know much about Canada though).

Edit: Also if what your saying is true we would be seeing a higher level of income inequality in Canada, where as its only marginally higher than Ireland

http://www.conferenceboard.ca/hcp/details/society/income-inequality.aspx
    USA is another level altogether, but immigrating as a permanent resident there isn't as easy as Canada.

Canada has a social floor that the US doesn't have. Provides enough of a support system without creating a welfare class to the cost and extent of what we have in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Gman0174

The elephant in the room is family. Leaving it all behind
    90% of my mates moved to Canada, all love it
    But every year they talk of coming home
    Missing weddings, missing funerals, missing nephews and nieces grow up, parents ill

This is the real stuff. People can trot out the better quality of life crap if they want to fool themselves. Everything isn't black and white. While my mates talk about the good stuff, they also talk about the bad stuff too. Canada is not some utopian nirvana. You will have to work equally hard for happiness in Canada as you would in Ireland (possibly even harder, they have had to jump through a lot of hoops at great expense to remain there)

If my friends came home with the same attitude as they have in Canada I'm sure they would have no change in quality of life (well perhaps there would be huge change, as they would be reconnected with their loved ones)

Was in the same boat, made the move in 2000. Was hard work, but now settled. If you put in, you'll get it back, and learn how to be sensible when spending. People talk about expensive, yes true, but there are many ways of saving. Ireland to me has zero incentives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

If you can, look beyond Vancouver and Toronto which are very expensive to live in and not representative of Canada in general.

Ardillaun wrote: »
    If you can, look beyond Vancouver and Toronto which are very expensive to live in and not representative of Canada in general.
    Nova Scotia is a really nice place, if you can handle the winters. Toronto is very expensive, but if you get a foot in and stick at it, you can live well. Honestly, compared to the total BS you get in Ireland, strongly recommend it.

Canada really suits me, a middle way between Ireland and the US, well organized but not completely capitalistic. I always breathe a sigh of relief when I get across the border from the States. One time after being south I was driving around waiting for the ferry and a stranger flagged me down to give me directions for the ferry which he thought I had missed. That can happen anywhere but it happens a lot in Atlantic Canada.
    Career-wise there has been no comparison with Ireland. The opportunities opened up for me once I got to Canada and my employers made sure I got proper training. From my job point of view, it's a lot easier here.

Although its health care system is not perfect, compared to Ireland's, it is utopia. When back in Dublin a few years back, the stress of seeing someone on a Sunday when he went ill, then having to find a chemist that was open was a nightmare. More recently in Canada, getting home from work at about 4:45, my son was in pain again, and we suspected apendix. Within 2 hours, had seen a doctor, got ultrasound and x-ray........ thats 6-9 months in Ireland..... people need to wake up in Ireland and go hard after every level of government, who simply get elected to line there own and family pockets. Ireland is all about fee's, even when you have private insurance through the likes of VHI, theres still fee's! Its a national disgrace.

Although its health care system is not perfect, compared to Ireland's, it is utopia. When back in Dublin a few years back, the stress of seeing someone on a Sunday when he went ill, then having to find a chemist that was open was a nightmare. More recently in Canada, getting home from work at about 4:45, my son was in pain again, and we suspected apendix. Within 2 hours, had seen a doctor, got ultrasound and x-ray........ thats 6-9 months in Ireland..... people need to wake up in Ireland and go hard after every level of government, who simply get elected to line there own and family pockets. Ireland is all about fee's, even when you have private insurance through the likes of VHI, theres still fee's! Its a national disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Looking for some advice here. I and my girlfriend are thinking of moving over in May next year and are currently inquiring about visas. Looking at Toronto as she has friends there as do I.

Would 10,000 Canadian dollars be enough to bring over between us to help us get set up until we find accommodation and jobs ?

ricero wrote: »
    Looking for some advice here. I and my girlfriend are thinking of moving over in May next year and are currently inquiring about visas. Looking at Toronto as she has friends there as do I.

Would 10,000 Canadian dollars be enough to bring over between us to help us get set up until we find accommodation and jobs ?
    Depends on if your looking for your own place. You'll need first and last months if renting. If staying at her friends, get a job fast, and save like crazy. What line of work will you be in? Toronto is expensive, but once you know its secrets, you'll live well.

Gman0174 wrote: »
    Depends on if your looking for your own place. You'll need first and last months if renting. If staying at her friends, get a job fast, and save like crazy. What line of work will you be in? Toronto is expensive, but once you know its secrets, you'll live well.

She already has a job lined up as a hair stylist. I myself am a secondary school teacher. I know getting work in a candian school can be difficult so i was thinking of getting work in a tefl school or going back to bar work.

Any ideas of where be best to rent ? I dont mind being a 20 - 30 mins commute from the city centre. We were gonna set ourselves a budget of 1400 canadian a month for rent

She already has a job lined up as a hair stylist. I myself am a secondary school teacher. I know getting work in a candian school can be difficult so i was thinking of getting work in a tefl school or going back to bar work.

Any ideas of where be best to rent ? I dont mind being a 20 - 30 mins commute from the city centre. We were gonna set ourselves a budget of 1400 canadian a month for rent
    Not sure how it works school wise, I am learning the system as my son goes through school. Is city centre a necessity? Anywhere along the subway lines are not bad, but if your further away, you'll need to bus it too. Look up TTC.ca.
    Renting in city is expensive, I live in York region, just above Toronto. Its all still considered part of the GTA, Greater Toronto Area. Ask your friends what they are doing, how they are doing it. For $1,400 too, see if you can rent a Condo, that will also have utilities included.

• Advertisement

Not sure how it works school wise, I am learning the system as my son goes through school. Is city centre a necessity? Anywhere along the subway lines are not bad, but if your further away, you'll need to bus it too. Look up TTC.ca.
    Renting in city is expensive, I live in York region, just above Toronto. Its all still considered part of the GTA, Greater Toronto Area. Ask your friends what they are doing, how they are doing it. For $1,400 too, see if you can rent a Condo, that will also have utilities included.

No not at all but i would like to live within 20 - 30 mins commute. The job she was offered is actually in the york area so will look into that. Yea a condo would be nice. There seems to be many basement apartments for rent but heard these can bring trouble. Appreciate the help

No not at all but i would like to live within 20 - 30 mins commute. The job she was offered is actually in the york area so will look into that. Yea a condo would be nice. There seems to be many basement apartments for rent but heard these can bring trouble. Appreciate the help
    Your probably in Vaughan then, great area, Wonderland, Vaughan Mills shopping centre....

My brother just went back to Dublin with his family after a xmas visit. Believe me, your money goes a lot further here.

Seriously where is that? because in Ontario/Toronto it definitely doesn't, food is way dearer, transport the same or more, rent is high, drink (with tip) is often more, I don't know about healthcare personally but the Canadians I've chatted to about it say there is issues with it.

Toronto and Ontario are different topics, like Paris and France. There are issues with healthcare in every country. You don't have to pay to see your GP here. Canada is definitely cheaper overall than Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Ardillaun wrote:
    Toronto and Ontario are different topics, like Paris and France. There are issues with healthcare in every country. You don't have to pay to see your GP here. Canada is definitely cheaper overall than Ireland.

It does sound like parts of Canada are extremely expensive to live in at the moment, I've had family live in Vancouver for the last couple of years, they've since moved back to Ireland, citing it's cost as being one of the reasons why. It also sounds like Canada is on the verge of a recession.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Ardillaun wrote:

It does sound like parts of Canada are extremely expensive to live in at the moment, I've had family live in Vancouver for the last couple of years, they've since moved back to Ireland, citing it's cost as being one of the reasons why. It also sounds like Canada is on the verge of a recession.

Vancouver is a separate country - sane Canadians don't consider moving there. Toronto is almost in that category as well although TO is still more affiradable in a normal job than Van. I wouldn't consider either city. A place like Ottawa is a MUCH better prospect - cheaper, lots to do and decent parks and hills too. For people in the trades, rural BC, Ontario, Alberta and Saskatchewan are better bets than those two notoriously overpriced places that get too much attention.

One thing I would say to prospective immigrants - forget about Vancouver and try to get out of Toronto ASAP. They are very poor value for money. A subcontinent awaits you full of wonderful towns which are not expensive to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Ardillaun wrote: »
    One thing I would say to prospective immigrants - forget about Vancouver and try to get out of Toronto ASAP. They are very poor value for money. A subcontinent awaits you full of wonderful towns which are not expensive to live in.

Where are you living and what line of work are you in?

People like myself that are in the tech industry, Toronto is a smorgasbord of tech companies. I'd love to join my buddy in Calgary but it's too cold and no direct flights.

It's true to say unless you're in a reasonably high paying career path, you'll get a better standard of living in a small town than in Vancouver or Toronto.

Like any major city full of professionals across the globe, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭mkdon

Sarah5290 wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I don't know if I have posted in right place.
    I'm new here and hoping for some advice. My partner was recently made redundant as the company he worked for closed down,he was an assistant manager. We are seriously considering moving to Canada with our two children (8 and 4) from Ireland, hopefully for a better quality of life for us and our children,but I'm really nervous about starting my children in new schools and them settling in. We don't have jobs yet but I have been told that employers prefer to employe people who are in the country already. If you have any experience with moving to Canada with children or an other information I would love to hear from you. ☺

How much savings you coming with? Are you coming with iec 2 year visa or what? Where are u planning on living

Am here past 2 years now so maybe able to assist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sarah5290 wrote: »
    Hi circular flexing sorry didn't put it in my original post we have our visa's and thinking calgary is best option for us.
    Calgary went through an oil bust over the past few years. Was there over the summer for a weekend. A lot of the pubs that would usually be popular were closed. A lot of jobs were meant to have gone as well.

Live in Toronto now. Houses are really fecking expensive in the Toronto, with a lot of people driving an hour to get to my workplace (from the Greater Toronto Area).

Advertisement