Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nervous about moving to Canada.

Options
  • 03-01-2017 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi Guys

I don't know if I have posted in right place.
    I'm new here and hoping for some advice. My partner was recently made redundant as the company he worked for closed down,he was an assistant manager. We are seriously considering moving to Canada with our two children (8 and 4) from Ireland, hopefully for a better quality of life for us and our children,but I'm really nervous about starting my children in new schools and them settling in. We don't have jobs yet but I have been told that employers prefer to employe people who are in the country already. If you have any experience with moving to Canada with children or an other information I would love to hear from you. ☺

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,117 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Small bit on this thread. Hope it helps.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057686528

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Sarah5290

Thanks water John

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Before you start worrying about children and schools you need to see if you qualify for a work permit or permanent residency.

There's a Come to Canada tool on the CIC site that might help

http://www.cic.gc.ca/ctc-vac/cometocanada.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Sarah5290

Hi circular flexing sorry didn't put it in my original post we have our visa's and thinking calgary is best option for us. I'm just in limbo about my children, schools and Canadian life in general for them. Thanks for your reply.

I don't know much about Calgary. There's probably some groups on Facebook where you might get some more responses - there's one called "Irish in Calgary" that looks promising.

I will say in general that kids are quite adaptable. We moved over with out 10 yo and she fitted in well. The schools are obviously different and I can't speak for schools in Calgary/Alberta but in general we are quite happy with the education here.

I would also say that the quality of life here is no better or worse than what it is in Ireland, imo. There are some good things about Canada, there are some not so good and some awful things about Canada. It can be a very tough place to make a fresh start in (I had a job sorted before I came over, I doubt I would have come over otherwise). Just do as much research as you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Gman0174

Been here since 2000, getting a job fast is essential to settling fast. I live just north of Toronto, have have done very well. I find in Ontario, it is a little too obsessed with work, but I have made the most of it, and feel like I have succeeded. I am in a place where I believe it would be impossible to achieve in Ireland. Also, with kids, never worry about clinics, hospitals and other medical issues. While not perfect, it is infinitely better than Irelands Fees on top of fees set up, where only the rich can survive. Not too sure about the school system, learning it with my boy, 9 years old. But we are saving while he grows, so hopefully we can make sure he leaves uni/college debt free. There are other things that annoy me here, Liberals in particular, but I find public services are so much better, and banks make you feel welcome, not a suspect. Do your research, be prepared to miss the pub, it is not the same here, but, depending on where you go, you will have real summers, learn to ice skate, see stunning scenery and basically live a better life.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,638 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

UK is just to your right
    People forget that when they leave to earn a worthless Cad or AUS dollar.
    Why not move to UK?

Worthless? How do you come to that conclusion? Have you lived in all 3 locations?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

BorneTobyWilde could be referring to the exchange rate, which is bad at the moment.
    A euro = GBP£0.85
    A euro = CAD$1.40

So if you get paid the same in Canada as you do in Ireland, you are a third worse off.

In saying that, different culture. Not as an excessive drinking culture for the most part here in Toronto.

Being in Toronto since May, and I love it. If coming now, it's cold. Don't bother buying a winter jacket; nothing in Ireland will be warm enough!!!

=-=

If bringing over a big sum of money, research which bank gives the nicest freebie. Some give 42" TV's the odd time if you are a new customer with X amount of cash.

the_syco wrote: »
    BorneTobyWilde could be referring to the exchange rate, which is bad at the moment.
    A euro = GBP£0.85
    A euro = CAD$1.40

So if you get paid the same in Canada as you do in Ireland, you are a third worse off.

In saying that, different culture. Not as an excessive drinking culture for the most part here in Toronto.

Being in Toronto since May, and I love it. If coming now, it's cold. Don't bother buying a winter jacket;
    nothing in Ireland will be warm enough!!!

=-=

If bringing over a big sum of money, research which bank gives the nicest freebie. Some give 42" TV's the odd time if you are a new customer with X amount of cash.

My brother just went back to Dublin with his family after a xmas visit. Believe me, your money goes a lot further here. Every single thing now seems to have a charge there. When he saw me putting out my blue recycle bins, his jaw smashed onto the ground. Ireland is a nation of pure rip off greed. He has health insurance, yet only good if you are admitted to hospital. His two kids have health issues, and unless your rich in Ireland, forget it. Ireland needs it 1789. The elite, rich Ireland do not care, politicians do not care, yet they divide everyone. As for Toronto, getting very cold this weekend, but we are built for it.....

• Advertisement

Gman0174 wrote: »
    My brother just went back to Dublin with his family after a xmas visit. Believe me, your money goes a lot further here. Every single thing now seems to have a charge there. When he saw me putting out my blue recycle bins, his jaw smashed onto the ground. Ireland is a nation of pure rip off greed. He has health insurance, yet only good if you are admitted to hospital. His two kids have health issues, and unless your rich in Ireland, forget it. Ireland needs it 1789. The elite, rich Ireland do not care, politicians do not care, yet they divide everyone. As for Toronto, getting very cold this weekend, but we are built for it.....

I think you have slightly rose-tinted glasses there.

Bin charges (amongst other things) are included in property taxes which tend to be a lot higher in Canada than they are in Ireland. Schools are also funded from property taxes which means that the poorer areas with low property values tend to not have well funded schools.

The health system in Canada while better than Ireland (in my experience) still has a lot of issues. There's a huge shortage of doctors (particularly GPs, I was waiting months to get registered with one) and long waiting times are not unheard of (just like in Ireland). I was waiting nearly 8 months for an appointment with a consultant. And it's not free, in BC you pay a subscription per month depending on family size, in Ontario it's taken as part of your income tax. Extended healthcare to cover dental/drugs is also expensive (nothing like PRSI dental cover in Canada).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

My brother just went back to Dublin with his family after a xmas visit. Believe me, your money goes a lot further here.

Seriously where is that? because in Ontario/Toronto it definitely doesn't, food is way dearer, transport the same or more, rent is high, drink (with tip) is often more, I don't know about healthcare personally but the Canadians I've chatted to about it say there is issues with it.

My brother just went back to Dublin with his family after a xmas visit. Believe me, your money goes a lot further here.

Seriously where is that? because in Ontario/Toronto it definitely doesn't, food is way dearer, transport the same or more, rent is high, drink (with tip) is often more, I don't know about healthcare personally but the Canadians I've chatted to about it say there is issues with it.

Anywhere is expensive if your not intelligent with your money. At first, yes, I did not know the smart way here, but now, I do. I time my income tax, do Rrsp's, also get them at work, who match 100% of 5% income. You price match at all stores. You really should never pay full price for anything. Rent is high in Toronto right now. I buy gas for my car at certain time of the day, at its lowest. Gas is seriously much cheaper than in Ireland. I do not drink out often, no places have match the Irish atmosphere, so, it is firepit, or hot tub with beer, along with bbq. Healthcare is not perfect, but compared to Ireland, where the middle class get totally shafted, it is so much more accessible. If your working too, also a good chance your getting health benefits and insurance. Banks too are such a different experience, they even help you do better with your savings, without bars in front of you. These are my experiences, I have worked hard to get here, but learned how to make this place work for me. It was a struggle at first, but got there. Canada has its political issues too, ie, any liberal alive, but there is much more accountability here, unlike Ireland, where your basically told to shut up and accept your financial rape.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

I would be slightly wary about moving to Calgary at the moment. They are in their worst recession in decades and the provincial government (as well as the federal government) are fairly incompetent. I guess it depends on whether your qualifications and experience are in demand. And be aware that winters can be very cold (temperature has hovered between -10 and -20 degrees Celsius for the last month).

Good luck with it though. :)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Tough decision, best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭montreal2011

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Canada is a huge place and it gives you many options and possibilities.

All the pro's and cons mentioned will vary depending on where you go. It took me 3 years on the waiting list to get assigned a family doctor in Montreal. My girlfriend was assigned one within a week in Ottawa. For the price of a one bed apartment in downtown Ottawa, e.g. $300k, you could get a 2 or 3 bed in Montreal. A year of car insurance will be hundreds of dollars in Quebec and thousands in Ontario.

Getting a job is the major factor for most people is settling into a place. If ye have the skills and experience to do certains jobs in Ireland, then you'll be able to do it in Canada. Lack of Canadian work experience or education might concern some employers, also visa status / duration, but basically every employer wants to know how well you'll fit in their company. It's up to you to make them comfortable with hiring you. It's also up to you to put the work in to get their attention in the first place. Don't waste all your time just sending cv's. Go out and meet people. Join meetup groups related to your work domain. Get to know people on a personal level and you'll soon get contacts in the right places and recommendations from the right people. Do this and you will get a job.

"I have been told that employers prefer to employe people who are in the country already". Of course they do. Unless you are an elite in your domain or there is a tremendous shortage locally, I believe that most employers would like to meet face-to-face.

"I'm really nervous about starting my children in new schools and them settling in". They will probably settle in quicker than you guys! Canadians are very friendly on the whole and have great community and family ethos. People don't survive in -30° without helping eachother.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭westernlass

We moved over to Ontario eight months ago and were lucky one of us had a job.  It took me a while to settle mostly because I have been working in a role getting paid very little in order to build up Canadian work experience.  I was told Spring and Autumn are the main hiring seasons for jobs.  The second we moved into February I had seven job replies after none for months.  It's something to bear in mind in terms of planning when to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭joxer1988

Anywhere is expensive if your not intelligent with your money. At first, yes, I did not know the smart way here, but now, I do. I time my income tax, do Rrsp's, also get them at work, who match 100% of 5% income. You price match at all stores. You really should never pay full price for anything. Rent is high in Toronto right now. I buy gas for my car at certain time of the day, at its lowest. Gas is seriously much cheaper than in Ireland. I do not drink out often, no places have match the Irish atmosphere, so, it is firepit, or hot tub with beer, along with bbq. Healthcare is not perfect, but compared to Ireland, where the middle class get totally shafted, it is so much more accessible. If your working too, also a good chance your getting health benefits and insurance. Banks too are such a different experience, they even help you do better with your savings, without bars in front of you. These are my experiences, I have worked hard to get here, but learned how to make this place work for me. It was a struggle at first, but got there. Canada has its political issues too, ie, any liberal alive, but there is much more accountability here, unlike Ireland, where your basically told to shut up and accept your financial rape.
    :D You've picked the wrong place to settle if you hate liberalism, it's probably the most socially liberal country on the planet. Incidentally, why I love the place!

In terms of the costs, you earn more money in most professions in Canada and pay less tax. Living expenses in Toronto match Dublin, give or take. If you're good at your job and work hard, you'll do well.

joxer1988 wrote: »
    :D You've picked the wrong place to settle if you hate liberalism, it's probably the most socially liberal country on the planet. Incidentally, why I love the place!

Its very "liberal" alright and they do seem to do multiculturalism well but its hard to put into words how it feels like a very conformist type of liberalism, there's no "edge" to anything here it seems. Also apart from the race and transgender stuff is it anymore liberal than any western European major city?Like its a very recent definition of liberalism as its definitely much more restrictive in terms of drinking and smoking (tobacco!) than most places I've been (thats why I "" the Liberal thing).
    In terms of the costs, you earn more money in most professions in Canada and pay less tax. Living expenses in Toronto match Dublin, give or take. If you're good at your job and work hard, you'll do well.

Do they though? Like I have the feeling that for Ontario at least the average wage appears much better than it is because of Unionized and legacy contract people where as a lot of jobs that are actually open have poorer or the same wages as Ireland and the UK, e.g the wage picture appears better because of the distortion those restricted entry positions have.
    I have the feeling Ontario has way too much competition really.

Yesterday looked at a job (I'm well under-qualified for), GIS tech 5+ years exp, manage small team, have full drone licence, role pays significantly less than a Unionized Labourer does here and a similar job in the UK at least would pay the same or more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭joxer1988

I'm not sure about that specific job you're referring to, but comparing like for like with the Irish people I know here - they're better off in Toronto. I would say that a unionized labourer in Toronto is better paid than in Ireland too, but there's always exceptions. If you're earning in the 50k region in Ireland, you will definitely do better in Canada on the basis of income tax alone. Won't come easy though, you have to work for it.

Fair point about the liberal society. As is well documented, liberals are very intolerant of intolerance, if you like... In Canada (in the metropolitan areas particularly), there's no room for someone who doesn't openly embrace other cultures and orientations. They have their tobacco and alcohol laws alright, but you have to freedom to pursue these things with a heavy tax burden - they have to fund the public healthcare after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭newwan

Moving in June! to Ottawa. Job sorted. PR sorted... cant wait!

Fair point about the liberal society. As is well documented, liberals are very intolerant of intolerance, if you like... In Canada (in the metropolitan areas particularly), there's no room for someone who doesn't openly embrace other cultures and orientations.

I think "intolerant of intolerance" makes it seem like its only a positive thing with no negatives, to me it seems more like they just hold a lot back all the time, like I work with two Caribbean lads sometimes and its a breath of fresh air how much more open about negative stuff they are.
    They have their tobacco and alcohol laws alright, but you have to freedom to pursue these things with a heavy tax burden - they have to fund the public healthcare after all!

Ugh thats another thing that annoys, the way everything good about Canada is compared to the USA but not say most of Europe which has public healthcare and is far more relaxed about that stuff

Australian economist Steve keen believes there will be a recession soon in Canada, something to consider

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Australian economist Steve keen believes there will be a recession soon in Canada, something to consider

Isn't that a concern for every country in the world? And also my Canadian friends have been saying they're are already in a recession for the last 2 years or so

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭el diablo

newwan wrote: »
    Isn't that a concern for every country in the world? And also my Canadian friends have been saying they're are already in a recession for the last 2 years or so

True, the Canadian economy is not in great shape right now. Sure doesn't help when a substitute drama teacher somehow got elected as PM. This guy's even more out of his depth than Enda Kenny. ;)

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

Canada will be fine. Endless resources relative to population. Tight sensible border control. Everyone wants to reside there. They might have blips every now and again but even their blip would put the Celtic tiger to shame.
    3rd level degree and good workers can be very wealthy there as opposed to struggling here.

Now I wouldn't like to be poor or uneducated there...

newwan wrote:

True, I heard that, and I wouldn't like to see a major crash happen there, but be aware that keen spotted the 2008 global crash long before it happened, so I guess, watch this space. Of course he could be wrong, maybe it'll be a 'soft landing'!

The elephant in the room is family. Leaving it all behind
    90% of my mates moved to Canada, all love it
    But every year they talk of coming home
    Missing weddings, missing funerals, missing nephews and nieces grow up, parents ill

This is the real stuff. People can trot out the better quality of life crap if they want to fool themselves. Everything isn't black and white. While my mates talk about the good stuff, they also talk about the bad stuff too. Canada is not some utopian nirvana. You will have to work equally hard for happiness in Canada as you would in Ireland (possibly even harder, they have had to jump through a lot of hoops at great expense to remain there)

If my friends came home with the same attitude as they have in Canada I'm sure they would have no change in quality of life (well perhaps there would be huge change, as they would be reconnected with their loved ones)

• Advertisement

This is the real stuff. People can trot out the better quality of life crap if they want to fool themselves.

Eh what? Don't go if u don't want to man. No one's forcing u or asking you to go

Advertisement