Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
25-10-2012, 21:59   #16
Hungerford
Registered User
 
Hungerford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 906
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltAccount View Post
Often many users will use one IP address (e.g. an office or college), and a committed troll will spoof their IP while the innocent will be stuck with no access for no fault of their own.
Perhaps the only way is to adopt a zero tolerance approach to abusive postings. I have noticed that this particular troll seems to get quite personally abusive towards other users.
Hungerford is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
26-10-2012, 07:52   #17
Dravokivich
Category Moderator
 
Dravokivich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 21,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungerford View Post
Perhaps the only way is to adopt a zero tolerance approach to abusive postings. I have noticed that this particular troll seems to get quite personally abusive towards other users.
Is this not already in place across boards?
Dravokivich is offline  
Thanks from:
26-10-2012, 10:58   #18
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 17,498
supporting the opinions here. Something needs doing before the Forum, generally a sucess, is ruined
corktina is offline  
Thanks from:
26-10-2012, 13:20   #19
popebenny16
Registered User
 
popebenny16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iolaire View Post
shamwari mentions the tracking of IP addresses.

I've run forums and blogs in the past and it was certainly possible for an admin to track the IP addresses of users. What I can't remember is if it is possible to block one, though I'd imagine that to be the case. If this could be done, it would clean the thread instantly and permanently as I would lay good money on the problem being caused by a single person who is responsible for 5 accounts (2 of which are now banned) that I am aware of.

In the meantime, the other problem is other users 'biting' which is harder to eliminate. I know I certainly get very annoyed at trolling, especially as I and others here, by association, are the target of same. It takes a great deal of restraint not to answer back and I have made the mistake of making a reference once. I won't repeat this.
hold on a second, you admitted you had at least one alt account

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...&postcount=182

which is totally against the rules. maybe you are aware of your own activity here, maybe you have an ability to overlook it.

Anyway,

I am here to post in support of Victor, who I know for year in RL and here, and to give some advice as an ex boards mod. Frankly, Victor does trojan work in controlling, or trying to controll, the Railway end of
C&T. Plenty of others have been driven out by the Railway Children in the past, and now it seems like the board has been swamped by a load of ex Irish Railway News orphans who have no idea of the posting rules and the way things are done on boards.

However, they do seem to have done enough basic research when it suits them, to have a pop a Victor for allowing the ITG to have an account, without, you know, paying for it, or having it verified.

Verified commercial accounts were intoduced, after a lot of admin/mod debate in the background, to prevent spamming of the site by shops/retail ect. The ITG is hardly in that situation. It is a clarification, so that we do not get swamped by people setting up an account claiming to speak for the ITG or some other group when they dont. It is a simple, practical, logical thing to do.

Obviously this concept is beyond some, and they wish to be petty, bothersome, agrivating and annoying, and are having a pop at a moderater who is doing just that - moderating.

In my humble opinion the train systems sub forum was created to keep you guys away from the ordinary puplic on the C&T forum because you create an image problem. Its not the first time that has happened, nor the first place. Now you have ignored the accepted Boards.ie rules for trying to resolve problems because there is only one mod, you say.

You can always PM the CatMods, their names are there in the bottom of your screen. Thats what you are to do, its in the charter, its everywhere. Instead, having stunk out the train systems forum, you bring the stink in here to feedback. In a way I'm glad. Maybe Victor, like myself and many other long term regs on the C&T board are used to ye, and we have got a bit of Stockholm syndrome and have started to accept ye as exhibiting normal behavior. This thread will be read by people not familier to our little corner of boards and they will I hope act accordingly.
popebenny16 is offline  
26-10-2012, 14:11   #20
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by corktina View Post
supporting the opinions here. Something needs doing before the Forum, generally a sucess, is ruined
Reregistered for this.

C&T and T&RS are dominated by regular posters with a consensus, and even innocent "what if" posts are abused out of it.

One poster in particular was highly abusive to both me and my brother, who posted as Wote, a railway industry professional, who quit boards in disgust.

Neither board are welcoming to newcomers. In its own way, with the regulars policing contrary points of view it has become as exclusive as IRN.

Boards.ie must decide is C&T for its regulars or is it for everyone with different points of view about the future of Irish railways.
The Idyl Race is offline  
Advertisement
26-10-2012, 14:14   #21
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by popebenny16 View Post
hold on a second, you admitted you had at least one alt account

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...&postcount=182

which is totally against the rules. maybe you are aware of your own activity here, maybe you have an ability to overlook it.
With due respect, take time to read through the entire thread. Personally, I admitted no such thing, though I fully understand why you may think that. I have a single account, this one. I have also declared my interests on the relevant thread, being an active member of the ITG and DCDR.

The user 'Railway Worker' is one of the 5 which I refer to, being used by the main protagonist who was clearly upset at being called to task in my post. The response from Railway Worker was just a puerile way of having a go at me.

If another account which uses some variation of my account name appears, then you can be certain that it is not me.

Like yourself, I support Victor and thinks he moderates very well. I despair that there is a distinct lack of maturity among a small minority of the rail 'enthusiast' community which blights the various rail-related forums.

Last edited by Iolaire; 26-10-2012 at 14:25.
Iolaire is offline  
Thanks from:
26-10-2012, 14:21   #22
Beruthiel
omnipotent and omniscient
 
Beruthiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 38,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie_Monster View Post
I'd also like to point of that this user: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=596322 is a member of the ITG and has the account setup purely to advertise, yet is not setup as a verified rep or paying for the privilege.
There is a thread at the top of this forum for reporting spammers.
I have site banned that account as it clearly breaches the rules of this site.

Karsini
Are you, (and everyone else for that matter) reporting the troublesome posts so the Mod can take action?
Beruthiel is offline  
26-10-2012, 14:34   #23
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iolaire View Post
With due respect, take time to read through the entire thread. Personally, I admitted no such thing, though I fully understand why you may think that. I have a single account, this one. I have also declared my interests on the relevant thread, being an active member of the ITG and DCDR.

The user 'Railway Worker' is one of the 5 which I refer to, being used by the main protagonist who was clearly upset at being called to task in my post. The response from Railway Worker was just a puerile way of having a go at me.

If another account which uses some variation of my account name appears, then you can be certain that it is not me.

Like yourself, I support Victor and thinks he moderates very well. I despair that there is a distinct lack of maturity among a small minority of the rail 'enthusiast' community which blights the various rail-related forums.
Correct AFAICS, that post of 'railway worker's was a set up - easy to spot !!!
steamengine is offline  
26-10-2012, 15:10   #24
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltAccount View Post
Define bonafides - those who make the TRS or C&T forums unbearable have a decent amount of posts already and some semblance of knowledge or interest.

Weeding out newbies won't solve the problem. What you need is a cull of unsavoury/unproductive posters, but tbh I don't think anyone has the stomach to see that through.
In more recent times, someone with a handful of posts coming on and making all kinds of comments, accusations and generally following a bent agenda is of highly questionable bona fides. That obviously goes without saying.

I'm not sure though what you mean when you talk about "those who make the TRS or C&T forums unbearable have a decent amount of posts already and some semblance of knowledge or interest." Sure there are a few very head strong characters here with far more posts and knowledge than most, but if you're thick skinned and well able for them then they shouldn't be a problem.

There is a distinction between someone who argues strongly and perhaps bluntly, and those who's sole objective is to cause nothing but trouble and offence, and go totally out of their way to do that. It is the latter whom I have the far bigger issues with.
shamwari is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
26-10-2012, 18:15   #25
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beruthiel View Post
There is a thread at the top of this forum for reporting spammers.
I have site banned that account as it clearly breaches the rules of this site.

Karsini
Are you, (and everyone else for that matter) reporting the troublesome posts so the Mod can take action?
I know of no-one in the ITG, but what appears to be a genuine representative of an enthusiast group banned for not following the right protocol?

Bit of an inversion of priorities when it comes to C&T, I think. Reinforces what I believe to be a fundamental problem with Boards.ie.
The Idyl Race is offline  
26-10-2012, 18:34   #26
Orim
Registered User
 
Orim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Idyl Race View Post
I know of no-one in the ITG, but what appears to be a genuine representative of an enthusiast group banned for not following the right protocol?

Bit of an inversion of priorities when it comes to C&T, I think. Reinforces what I believe to be a fundamental problem with Boards.ie.
Not allowing spam and advertising is a problem now?
Orim is offline  
Thanks from:
26-10-2012, 18:43   #27
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 17,498
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Idyl Race View Post
Reregistered for this.

C&T and T&RS are dominated by regular posters with a consensus, and even innocent "what if" posts are abused out of it.

One poster in particular was highly abusive to both me and my brother, who posted as Wote, a railway industry professional, who quit boards in disgust.

Neither board are welcoming to newcomers. In its own way, with the regulars policing contrary points of view it has become as exclusive as IRN.

Boards.ie must decide is C&T for its regulars or is it for everyone with different points of view about the future of Irish railways.
i'd better respond,as you singled me out. Many users have strong opinions but more or less express them in a gentlemanly fashion.This is what a forum is for, if someone does't agree with me , I can live with that , they should be able to too.What would you have us dio? pretend we agree with people just to keep them happy? even if they have dodgy ideas about Rail Development ?
corktina is offline  
26-10-2012, 18:58   #28
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by corktina View Post
i'd better respond,as you singled me out. Many users have strong opinions but more or less express them in a gentlemanly fashion.This is what a forum is for, if someone does't agree with me , I can live with that , they should be able to too.What would you have us dio? pretend we agree with people just to keep them happy? even if they have dodgy ideas about Rail Development ?
You were not the poster I was referring to.
The Idyl Race is offline  
26-10-2012, 20:19   #29
Victor
Registered User
 
Victor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 73,610
There is stuff going on in the background.

There are a few particular issues:
* One person (or a small group) with quite a few accounts.
* A few users who tend to pick on one user.
* Some individuals who are a bit dogmatic / have gripes / chips on their shoulders.
Victor is offline  
Thanks from:
27-10-2012, 00:49   #30
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 16,965
It wasn't my intention to carry the "stink" into Feedback as was mentioned. What you're referring to sounded more like the DRP for individual forum bans rather than trying to work out how to improve a forum,if that's even possible. At the moment I'm considering whether to even remain a part of this forum (T&RS, not boards.ie in general). Anything that involves serious work for admins or mods (such as IP bans or access forums like for Soccer) probably won't be considered for such a small audience.
Karsini is offline  
Thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet