Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Tenger wrote: »
    Well, no-where to be honest.(which is why the social media stories of "1000s of American roaming the country" have annoyed me)
    But plenty of US visitors were able to fly in a visit family. Obviously this number would be a trickle compared to normal times.

European countries "opening for US visitors" might sound more dramatic than it actually is.
    While they are open they may not be attractive to tourists.

But of course it would be great to see Irish Govt extend a welcome to try capture a chunk of any renewed US tourism market. EI at 3 routes are a shadow of their previous plan for 2020 of 16-17 daily departures.

3 departures from 16/17 is really bleak alright and shows how rough it has been.

You’re other point is also spot on, if we want Tourists to visit, European or US, then it isn’t really enough to just stop fining people. You really need to get the message out that Ireland is open for business so tourists will see it as worthwhile and that isn’t something I think the govt will be doing this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Phen2206

http://clareherald.com/2021/05/no-aer-lingus-us-flights-from-shannon-until-2022-20522/

Interesting article, assuming it is accurate. Sadly no surprise that SNN might not be considered for a resumption of services this year. However it is interesting that supposedly some more exotic destinations are being considered for Dublin perhaps for the winter. Its possible that people will be mad to get some winter sun this coming season so something like BGI could work in theory but I would wonder if travel to such places would be allowed if their vaccination rate/covid cases are not comparable to those here. Hopefully not though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Phen2206 wrote: »
    http://clareherald.com/2021/05/no-aer-lingus-us-flights-from-shannon-until-2022-20522/

Interesting article, assuming it is accurate. Sadly no surprise that SNN might not be considered for a resumption of services this year. However it is interesting that supposedly some more exotic destinations are being considered for Dublin perhaps for the winter. Its possible that people will be mad to get some winter sun this coming season so something like BGI could work in theory but I would wonder if travel to such places would be allowed if their vaccination rate/covid cases are not comparable to those here. Hopefully not though.

Have heard Barbados and Cancun. It seems medium-term MSP won’t return but all other routes are hoped to be recovered by S22.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 neutrino

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Have heard Barbados and Cancun. It seems medium-term MSP won’t return but all other routes are hoped to be recovered by S22.

These are possibly in conjunction with cruise companies resuming sailings, and may be something along the lines of flight to Barbados/Cancun - cruise to Miami, flight home, and vice versa. Miami was popular for cruises, and seats were often sold as part of a cruise package.

But in other news:

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/aer-lingus-has-too-many-resources-amid-covid-pandemic-airline-warns-1.4558123

For “resources”, read “staff”.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

neutrino wrote: »
    These are possibly in conjunction with cruise companies resuming sailings, and may be something along the lines of flight to Barbados/Cancun - cruise to Miami, flight home, and vice versa. Miami was popular for cruises, and seats were often sold as part of a cruise package.

But in other news:

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/aer-lingus-has-too-many-resources-amid-covid-pandemic-airline-warns-1.4558123

For “resources”, read “staff”.

Who in their right mind would consider going on a cruise package while this pandemic is still around?
    Cruise liners became a hotbed for the virus last time around and there were several instances where people were stuck onboard for weeks because the ships were being turned away from ports because of outbreaks onboard.
    Even the fantastic buffets many people associate with cruise liners are now effectively banned in any other public setting.
    I'd get on an airplane every day of the week before I'd consider a cruise...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭basill

Old people who have been jabbed twice. Same target market as before the pandemic. Not that I think the offering is necessarily targeted at the cruise market per se. Google tells me that the best time of year to visit is the "dry season" which is December to April. So nicely timed for an end of summer start when vaccinations are peaking and the temperatures are dropping in Canaries/Algarve etc.

basill wrote: »
    Old people who have been jabbed twice. Same target market as before the pandemic. Not that I think the offering is necessarily targeted at the cruise market per se. Google tells me that the best time of year to visit is the "dry season" which is December to April. So nicely timed for an end of summer start when vaccinations are peaking and the temperatures are dropping in Canaries/Algarve etc.

Can't see it myself, the target market have just spent the last twelve months cocooning, I can't see them rushing back to a cruise liner setting just because they've been vaccinated, particularly with so many variants of the virus still around, why risk it?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Can't see it myself, the target market have just spent the last twelve months cocooning, I can't see them rushing back to a cruise liner setting just because they've been vaccinated, particularly with so many variants of the virus still around, why risk it?
    Surely being coccooned would make them more likely to go on a cruise after being under glorified house arrest for 12 months?

Are they going to spend their whole lives at home in fear of a potential Covid variant? After vaccination, that's as safe as it's going to get. All the 70+ that I know who have been vaccinated are living life as they did pre-March 2020 (restrictions such as closed pubs aside).

The amount of pent up demand in these industries is unreal. It's along the lines of "I kind of wanted to go on a cruise but now that I know the opportunity to go on one has been taken away from me I'm extra mad to do it now".

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Shamrockj

Maybe some people actually want to live their life ? Not everyone wants to sit at home for the rest of their remaining life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭HTCOne

As soon as I can get off this rock without being thrown in a gulag on my return or have to self quarantine for a fortnight I am outta here. Everyone I speak to is in the same boat, especially healthcare staff. Once vaccinated there is nothing more that can be done, this virus is likely endemic now and the vulnerable will need a top up vaccine every year or so to protect against mutations. So be it. You can’t live in fear. I’m vety tempted to start booking European breaks from Q3 onwards now, Rome and the Canaries top of my list. Hang in there Shamrock I have a fortune to spend with you as soon as I’m allowed! And you can sell me a few wine bottles on the journey, I won’t complain.

And cruises? Before COVID those floating retirement homes were my idea of hell. After the last year I’d vote DUP if it got me on one.

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    Surely being coccooned would make them more likely to go on a cruise after being under glorified house arrest for 12 months?

Are they going to spend their whole lives at home in fear of a potential Covid variant? After vaccination, that's as safe as it's going to get. All the 70+ that I know who have been vaccinated are living life as they did pre-March 2020 (restrictions such as closed pubs aside).

The amount of pent up demand in these industries is unreal. It's along the lines of "I kind of wanted to go on a cruise but now that I know the opportunity to go on one has been taken away from me I'm extra mad to do it now".

Who said anything about them spending "their whole lives at home" living in fear...? I'm sure like most of us they'll be itching to get away, I just don't think they'll be attracted to the idea of spending two or three weeks cooped up on a boat after spending the last twelve months cooped up at home. The vaccination doesn't make you bullet proof, people are still going to avoid high risk situations and as we saw last time the virus spread like wildfire on cruise ships with some people being stuck for weeks on one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭bombs away

Who said anything about them spending "their whole lives at home" living in fear...? I'm sure like most of us they'll be itching to get away, I just don't think they'll be attracted to the idea of spending two or three weeks cooped up on a boat after spending the last twelve months cooped up at home. The vaccination doesn't make you bullet proof, people are still going to avoid high risk situations and as we saw last time the virus spread like wildfire on cruise ships with some people being stuck for weeks on one.

Very difficult for a virus to spread like wildfire though when people are fully vaccinated, entirely different set of
    circumstances and you’re not comparing like for like. Not saying I disagree with you as regards why older people would want to go on a cruise as I can’t think of a worse holiday than that but it certainly won’t be for the reasons you’re mentioning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

HTCOne wrote: »
    As soon as I can get off this rock without being thrown in a gulag on my return or have to self quarantine for a fortnight I am outta here. Everyone I speak to is in the same boat, especially healthcare staff. Once vaccinated there is nothing more that can be done, this virus is likely endemic now and the vulnerable will need a top up vaccine every year or so to protect against mutations. So be it. You can’t live in fear. I’m vety tempted to start booking European breaks from Q3 onwards now, Rome and the Canaries top of my list. Hang in there Shamrock I have a fortune to spend with you as soon as I’m allowed! And you can sell me a few wine bottles on the journey, I won’t complain.

And cruises? Before COVID those floating retirement homes were my idea of hell. After the last year I’d vote DUP if it got me on one.

EXCELLENT post HTCOne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Same here, once I'm fully vaccinated, the next day I expect to in seat 2C on a A320 to somewhere, anywhere (even a DUB to DUB flight would do)

There is a huge pent up demand. I'd expect mayhem for the school midterm break as everyone tries to get away.

Same here, once I'm fully vaccinated, the next day I expect to in seat 2C on a A320 to somewhere, anywhere (even a DUB to DUB flight would do)

There is a huge pent up demand. I'd expect mayhem for the school midterm break as everyone tries to get away.

Yeah - the mid term will be crazy, A330’s to CDG for euro Disney and to anywhere else really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Same as that. I'm due my second jab at the beginning of June, So I'm looking at end of June for full vaccinated status and I am out of here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Like others here, I'll be on a plane the moment I'm vaccinated.

I have almost seven weeks of annual leave that I have to take before December 31.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Noxegon wrote: »
    Like others here, I'll be on a plane the moment I'm vaccinated.

I have almost seven weeks of annual leave that I have to take before December 31.

I’m booking a trip for October, should be all good by then.

As of today you can do DUB-KIR or DUB-CFN without any hassle with the gardai...

I believe the garda stakeout at the airport has ended and the fines for travelling have elapsed, the army are on hand for arrivals from the MHQ list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

The short haul A330 (daily AGP, Sat x2 FAO) have been pushed out to July 21st this morning.

As of today you can do DUB-KIR or DUB-CFN without any hassle with the gardai...

I believe the garda stakeout at the airport has ended and the fines for travelling have elapsed, the army are on hand for arrivals from the MHQ list.

The fine was extended to June 2nd.

Thinking of a day trip to CFN just to do something, emailed CFN and the 25 min turnaround isn’t a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    I’m booking a trip for October, should be all good by then.

14 of us are leaving the wives at home, and going to Spain golfing for the 2nd week of October! Flights were only €125 return;with EI. Accommodation in a 4 star hotel was €36 pppn sharing for 4 nights B&B rate. We booked before there was talk of any reopening, so I expect prices to have increased now. Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Myself & Mrs R have booked flights to Palma for Sept. I'm fully vacced, she's heard nothing yet, but we're quietly confident that all will be ok by then. Flights with ALT were more than reasonable too, so here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

Have booked Bilbao for 1-4th of July. Does anyone know if this flight will be operating?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

Kev11491 wrote: »
    Have booked Bilbao for 1-4th of July. Does anyone know if this flight will be operating?

Why would you book if you didn't know if the flight was operating??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Kev11491

OU812 wrote: »
    Why would you book if you didn't know if the flight was operating??

Because it was a voucher and I can easily change the flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

Emerald and Aer Lingus finalising the Aer Lingus Regional franchise deal with a binding contract expected soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭bombs away

Emerald and Aer Lingus finalising the Aer Lingus Regional franchise deal with a binding contract expected soon.

Do emerald even have any aircraft or pilots yet?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

bombs away wrote: »
    Do emerald even have any aircraft or pilots yet?

Well they are apparently receiving aircraft in late summer. But they won’t take over the contract until winter 2022?! I think

Locker10a wrote: »
    Well they are apparently receiving aircraft in late summer. But they won’t take over the contract until winter 2022?! I think

Any changes expected in terms of scope - will it still be mainly UK flights?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭IQO

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Any changes expected in terms of scope - will it still be mainly UK flights?

I don’t know, but I wouldn’t imagine any change.

Aer Lingus have suspended* SNN-BOS for the summer, JFK restart pushed out to July 19th. Perhaps some confidence SNN-LHR remains available from June 21st.

DUB-US also pushed out to Jul 19th with SEA suspended* and IAD/YYZ delayed until mid August and September.

* until 31 Oct i.e. winter timetable.

Subject to change from SNN id say. Article this week in Clare Herald said that a document within EI says both JFK and BOS suspended till 2022.

EI work 4-6 weeks ahead so don't read anything into the schedule in July/August, what is going on is housekeeping really

It does help with cash flow as money comes in, it has to be refunded in time but EI has the money for several weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Given the number of people who report they feel dreadful the next day, it is the correct position as it risks cancellation of a service as the aircraft operate at minimum crew levels for EASA cert (i.e. 1 per door on a A330). All layovers are 24 hours currently so no chance to find a 48 hour gap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭HTCOne

EASA issued an edict last week effectively banning ATCOs from working within 48 hours of receiving a COVID vaccine. Given its the same Aeromedical team there for Crew there’s probably a similar rule for them in effect, ie they would now be breaking EASA rules by exercising their licence within 48 hours of the jab.

HTCOne wrote: »
    EASA issued an edict last week effectively banning ATCOs from working within 48 hours of receiving a COVID vaccine. Given its the same Aeromedical team there for Crew there’s probably a similar rule for them in effect, ie they would now be breaking EASA rules by exercising their licence within 48 hours of the jab.

Be interesting to see how the second jab is handled...

Safety is a serious business, you don't want to be in a metal tube for 7 hours with a cabin alt of 8-9000 feet if you are any way unwell. Equally getting stuck away from home during COVID if you had a bad reaction is no fun if its the US as you would be subject to the MHQ on return if not operating crew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Given the number of people who report they feel dreadful the next day, it is the correct position as it risks cancellation of a service as the aircraft operate at minimum crew levels for EASA cert (i.e. 1 per door on a A330). All layovers are 24 hours currently so no chance to find a 48 hour gap.

Like I said, I get it - however I wouldn't be surprised if people don't read beyond the headline and this ends up being talked about to Joe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

cson wrote: »

I had a read of the article and it's pretty vague.
    Sounds like the journalist has a mate who is crew and asked them if they can get vaccinated in the USA.

I asked my own cabin crew mate crew earlier today. (via text)

He told me that no such "reminder" has been issued. He said that an official procedure/notice was issued about 5-6 weeks ago as the Irish vaccinations program started properly. But nothing specific about the USA was mentioned and nothing stated since. He did caveat it by saying that cabin crew and pilots often gets differing instructions from their respective mgmt.
    He said he wouldn't risk it as needing to get a 2nd jab was risky when he is only getting a flight to the US every 6-8 weeks.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Aer Lingus have suspended* SNN-BOS for the summer, JFK restart pushed out to July 19th. Perhaps some confidence SNN-LHR remains available from June 21st.

DUB-US also pushed out to Jul 19th with SEA suspended* and IAD/YYZ delayed until mid August and September.

* until 31 Oct i.e. winter timetable.

SNN-JFK* DUB-LAX* and YYZ (mid Oct), EWR / IAD (late Aug), MCO (2 Oct) and BOS reduced.

Edit - Reported crew base closing at SNN.

[quote="
    Edit - Reported crew base closing at SNN.[/quote]

Devastating for the staff involved.

Anyone know how long EI have had a crew base at SNN?

Cork closed for 3 months, staff temporarily laid off. 138 crew, 60 ground staff.
    Shannon base closed for good. Crew laid off or offered transfer to Dublin. Ground staff laid off but might be brought back if/when routes restart. 81 crew, 45 ground staff.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0518/1222358-aer-lingus-cork/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭x567

Ah that’s a great shame. Many superb crew in the SNN base; really feel for them...

• Registered Users Posts: 20 neutrino

“Connectivity” will be the buzzword from various bleating provincial politicos from now until summer 2022; harsh reality is, like a boxer backing into the corner getting a beating, Aer Lingus will shrink back to DUB to protect itself as much as possible, waiting for temporary relief from the bell, as this summer is now a lost cause.

Ex DUB long haul will be minimal this winter; flight and cabin crew will be threatened with furlough, and will yet be retained with extensions of agreed salary concessions.

“Connectivity” will be 2 hour motorway trip to Dublin. SNN & ORK short haul will be W pattern from DUB. Handling & catering will be outsourced, same as DUB.

Never waste a crisis.

Bookings surging in EI since last night.

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Bookings surging in EI since last night.

Which is positive.

My opinion is that there is a repressed urge to travel but that without certainly people were hesitant to do so. So with travel resuming from July 19th we may no see an explosion of routes on that day but at least people can make a booking with a bit more confidence.

Still no info from Aer Lingus regarding changes to their operation in Dublin (in regards to cuts etc) I wonder were they waiting to see what the Govt announced today and then decide what they need to do?
    ie. July 19th means plan B, Aug 2nd means plan A, Aug 16th means Plan C........

July 19th is 7 weeks so enough time to get ready and to adapt on demand. I don't trust the HSE so won't be booking till I have second jab in arm (flying out 15 days later...)

But as there are no summer staff hired, they don't have the cabin crew or check in numbers to run a full schedule. At best we are looking at Oct/Nov levels of capacity

You could though see a lot more A330 action around Europe if the US continues to lag behind, its a lot cheaper fly a single A330 than 2 A320's

• Advertisement

The Minister for Transport has just confirmed that as well as Travel resuming within the EU from the 19th of July, Travel under the same conditions as the CTC (Covid Travel Certificate) will resume to the UK and US (Reciprocal needed to allow Irish Citizens enter the US). This is huge.
    Tenger wrote: »
    Still no info from Aer Lingus regarding changes to their operation in Dublin (in regards to cuts etc) I wonder were they waiting to see what the Govt announced today and then decide what they need to do?
    ie. July 19th means plan B, Aug 2nd means plan A, Aug 16th means Plan C........

One thing we can be sure of is the Christmas list has been organised, what they get will be different.

Advertisement