Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Waffle Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Not sure who appealed Penneys plans to ABP and why, for what reason but ABP've ruled against them & the development proceeds as per this Cllr. Andrea Dalton FF post with screenshot of details > https://www.facebook.com/Cllrandreadaltoncarlow/photos/a.2008458972740633/2828218817431307/

Co. Co.'d 27 Conditions attached to original P.P.; ABP've went with 17; would that be in addition or taking the 27 into account they've decided 10 may not be applicable etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

It's never going to happen. Patch the carpark, painting in some spaces and maybe a bit of sprucing on the facade is probably the best result we'll see. Penny's have settled where they are and seems to be working well for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

Penneys might breath a bit of life into the town centre. I moved away about 30 years ago and have kept in touch through family and a few friends still living there. Carlow town centre seemed much more vibrant then in terms of shops, good pubs, maybe rose tinted glasses, I dunno. Definitely a town now punching way below its weight in my humble opinion. The retail parks circling the town centre have not helped, in fact suck life out if it.

Also Carlow is generally not well served by its public representatives, councillors who are more interested in point scoring and headline grabbing than doing anything constructive. There was one or two there who didn’t run with the herd, but either retired or one in particular lost his seat.

For me the whole discussion on the Barrowcycle track is a microcosm of what is wrong. A hugely under developed tourist resource, a little over an hour from Dublin where a huge market exists for people who would do a short break or family day trip being rejected. Something like that could be a huge shot in the arm for the likes of all the towns along the track Carlow, Leighlin, Bagnalstown etc ...

God forbid it could create a few jobs and frankly breathe some life into towns and villages that are in the ‘left behind category’. Some places in the south of the county have huge potential- Borris springs to mind. Anyway Waterford and the new South Kilkenny greenways will be glad of the business

Has CIELS (Carlow Institute of English Language Services) ceased trading from their bricks & mortar premises in Askea beside the church & Gaelcholaiste, St. Laurence O'Tooles A.C. etc.?
    Obviously with Covid their target audiences're not in a position to travel so I'm assuming classes're being done remotely, online & from home.

English Language Ireland're gone; Schoolhouse on O'Brien Rd. is for sale through Kehoes.

Reason for asking is P.P. in this weeks paper for change of use for a premises, Unit 8, Strawhall Ind. Est., from industrial to educational/for use as an English Language Training facility by a company called Our Courses Ltd.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

Can anyone recommend any good shops or off licences that have a good range of craft beers. My Friday treat is normally to buy a couple of different ones from as far and near as possible. I have exhausted quite a few options and would like to be able to get some local instead of going online. Thks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Can anyone recommend any good shops or off licences that have a good range of craft beers. My Friday treat is normally to buy a couple of different ones from as far and near as possible. I have exhausted quite a few options and would like to be able to get some local instead of going online. Thks

Theres not a great selection in the local off licenses and shops unfortunately. O' Briens would be my go to for craft beer as they have the best selection. Carpenters is ok too but they don't let you in to browse the fridges anymore because of covid so its hard to know what's in stock or what price it is. Super Valu used to have a good selection but its gone downhill lately IMO though I haven't been up there in a while.

If you want to try the latest stuff or a wide variety then online is still the way to go I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Try craftcentral.ie delivery is only 5 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

The Brewery Corner in KK is owned by O Haras, so kinda local.

They have an online shop now, so it's as close to buying local you'll get online.

https://brewerycorner.com/

Will be interesting to see how Penneys works its Click & Collect service; the type of shopper who uses it normally is in for a browse before purchasing in a lot of cases > https://carlow-nationalist.ie/2021/04/30/penneys-offers-shopping-by-appointment-to-carlow-customers/?fbclid=IwAR1V2UDYNGSnVEsp5VXi8wMadeXjnJXdsFUWGtbxpjIgkXCsUcH2uIZUWaE

I see the council are being urged to sort out the vacant buildings around the town and go after the owners of them. It would be about time they started compulsory buying them if the owners cannot be arsed to do anything with them.

• Advertisement

I see the council are being urged to sort out the vacant buildings around the town and go after the owners of them. It would be about time they started compulsory buying them if the owners cannot be arsed to do anything with them.

As much as they annoy me there's a slight possibility an owner may eventually develop the building. If the council were to buy it nothing would happen with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

I agree something needs to be done with the amount of empty buildings in town. But if they did compulsory order them where would the money come to fix them up. Because the council don't have it. Look at the old bank of Ireland building that was purchased by the council it's sitting there a at least 3years now with nothing done.

The council are somewhat to blame they are sitting on loads of empty buildings all over the town, on the hopes the 20year plan will work out, even though some buildings are falling down look at the row of houses past carpenters they have them fenced off the past few months. They don't have the money to make them safe they can't be knocked yet because they still have a preservation order. But they hope to lift that sometime within 5years.

To be honest I was more thinking about St. Brigid's Hospital myself, I know it has a protection order on it and was bought as part of the big site behind it. I was thinking with the amount of rent the council pays to private landlords on emergency accommodation ever year it would be worth buying it and doing it up you have a number of floors there that could be used for a men, women and families as a shelter and short term emergency accommodation. It might cost now but it would save long term. I know cost now to save long term really isn't in the councils thoughts.

The one the annoys me more than any thought is the old Crotty's building right in the hear to the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,344 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

St. Brigid's is something I know a lot of people have talked about it being turned into something like that.

If you come from that old bank of Ireland at the court house up Dublin street then turn up Tullow street all the way to Shamrock square there is a lot of empty large building going to ruin really.

To be honest I was more thinking about St. Brigid's Hospital myself, I know it has a protection order on it and was bought as part of the big site behind it.

The one the annoys me more than any thought is the old Crotty's building right in the hear to the town.

I have been in St Brigid's a number of times the last number of years. Most recently in February you would be surprised how well the building is on the inside. There is a man living in there as a caretaker he is always out the back. The crottys building is an absolute shame to see. The developers have missed the big money they had been holding out for. That part of town as you know is dead. Because of that I can't see anything happening with that for a very long time.

it would be worth buying it and doing it up you have a number of floors there that could be used for a men, women and families as a shelter and short term emergency accommodation.

In theory a good idea but in practice these types of accommodation generally fail and end up being declared substandard by our welfare generation. Then you get the circus act following with their rhetoric about the government is a failure and everyone should be provided with a house, lawn and 2 car drive as a minimum. We have very few genuine people in need of emergency accommodation and the most vocal usually just want said house.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    In theory a good idea but in practice these types of accommodation generally fail and end up being declared substandard by our welfare generation. Then you get the circus act following with their rhetoric about the government is a failure and everyone should be provided with a house, lawn and 2 car drive as a minimum. We have very few genuine people in need of emergency accommodation and the most vocal usually just want said house.

I know talking to someone in the council that the council have taken over two large b&bs in the town and half of the rooms in the old Ritz for emergency accommodation something like 60 beds that they are paying for every week to landlords then you also have the mens hostel in town that they pay most of the money too keep ruing the svp don't really put any money into it.

I know talking to someone in the council that the council have taken over two large b&bs in the town and half of the rooms in the old Ritz for emergency accommodation something like 60 beds that they are paying for every week to landlords then you also have the mens hostel in town that they pay most of the money too keep ruing the svp don't really put any money into it.

I'd be almost certain the council pay nothing to svdp. Svdp are off loading a bunch of the hostel around the country carlow been one of them because the can't fund them. Ask many homeless around town they wouldn't step foot inside the hostel for safety concerns. That's why some end up in the old Ritz.

iano.p wrote: »
    I'd be almost certain the council pay nothing to svdp. Svdp are off loading a bunch of the hostel around the country carlow been one of them because the can't fund them. Ask many homeless around town they wouldn't step foot inside the hostel for safety concerns. That's why some end up in the old Ritz.

The homeless hostels are majority funded by the HSE's and Councils around the country.

The SVP, Peter McVerry, DePaul etc are brought in to run the homeless services so the councils and HSE don't have to use there staff.

The homeless hostels are majority funded by the HSE's and Councils around the country.

The SVP, Peter McVerry, DePaul etc are brought in to run the homeless services so the councils and HSE don't have to use there staff.

I know the hse fund them plus the church. Just surprised about the council been honest. If that's the case why are they putting males into the Ritz or sending them to a local hotel instead of up the Dublin Rd.

• Advertisement

I know the hse fund them plus the church. Just surprised about the council been honest. If that's the case why are they putting males into the Ritz or sending them to a local hotel instead of up the Dublin Rd.

The church put no money in the hostels and money the svp raise in shops or church days goes to those who ask for help none goes into the homeless services.

The men's hostel was shared accommodation however for the last year that couldn't be done and probably won't be able to be done again due to Covid so the hostel lost half it's beds and they had to find somewhere to put them.

The Ritz is also used for homeless women as there is no shelter for them in Carlow, However Carlow isn't the only town with a lack of accommodation for women.

The men's hostel was shared accommodation however for the last year that couldn't be done and probably won't be able to be done again due to Covid so the hostel lost half it's beds and they had to find somewhere to put them.

The Ritz is also used for homeless women as there is no shelter for them in Carlow, However Carlow isn't the only town with a lack of accommodation for women.

Yeah I understand i was in the hostel last year that building is falling apart. I just presumed they most of the funding was hse church and donations.

Not sure when, maybe the Autumn, by De Paul're taking over SVDP Mens Hostel.

There're two family hubs in Carlow town for women & families seeking refuge in a domestic violence situation; I presume Womens Aid run tthem.

Ritz; a previous poster said some of it's used for emergency acccommodation; my understanding is it's all full with those in emergency accommodation and no rooms're available for private hire.

Would I be right in thinking some single people, men mainly, are housed in the hostel on Kilkenny Rd.?

Yeah I understand i was in the hostel last year that building is falling apart. I just presumed they most of the funding was hse church and donations.

No it's the Council and HSE that fund the hostels.

They would have started out 20/30 years ago funded by the SVP around the country as night shelters only.

However in the last two decades regulations and professional guidelines have been brought in and standards on how these services are run was well outside the SVP's knowledge base so the HSE and Councils took over the running of them by funding the svp and other charities to hire professional staff and all the staff in the hostels now are all qualified in some form of social care

The buildings are still SVP owned around the country and the upkeep of those is what would be funded by the svp so that would be there only real financial input.

The hostel across from the IT will be closed soon enough I'd say if they get the planning permission to build the student accommodation there.

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    Not sure when, maybe the Autumn, by De Paul're taking over SVDP Mens Hostel.

There're two family hubs in Carlow town for women & families seeking refuge in a domestic violence situation; I presume Womens Aid run tthem.

Ritz; a previous poster said some of it's used for emergency acccommodation; my understanding is it's all full with those in emergency accommodation and no rooms're available for private hire.

Would I be right in thinking some single people, men mainly, are housed in the hostel on Kilkenny Rd.?

I think that is where the worst of the worst stayed the ones the hostel and council would not take and I think it is also full of eastern europeans.

Carlow councilors along the their counterparts around the country due 47% pay rise at the end of next month, Giving them an annual salary of €25k a year up from €17k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭votecounts

Carlow councilors along the their counterparts around the country due 47% pay rise at the end of next month, Giving them an annual salary of €25k a year up from €17k.

Big increase along with the expenses they allowed to claim.
    Also those derelict houses besides Carpenters are an eyesore, any plans for those?

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Bog Man 1

St. Brigid's is something I know a lot of people have talked about it being turned into something like that.

If you come from that old bank of Ireland at the court house up Dublin street then turn up Tullow street all the way to Shamrock square there is a lot of empty large building going to ruin really.

I was born in St Brigid,s and I will insist on a plaque outside to commemorate the event . If I won the Lottery I would remove the dash and turn it into my town residence .

• Advertisement

As per KCLR Live 11am News altercation @ a property in New Oak Est. Thursday morning which Gda. attended; subsequently an hour later the house was targeted again by 2 Men with a flammable liquid being involved, damage caused & 1 Individual in/at the property taken to hospital; 2 Arrested; 1's due to appear before Kilkenny District Ct. this morning; 2nd Person was detained last night > https://kclr96fm.com/gardai-appeal-for-witnesses-to-early-yesterday-morning-alleged-assault-in-carlow/?fbclid=IwAR3gZ9HdPzBjoVLKMInGTcWT82x7rXBWxKGp2pYyjq7uwc8-D-jo4Ubg3Lk

Advertisement