Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-04-2018, 22:33   #46
milehip

He's a rat and he killed Nidge!
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
11-04-2018, 22:33   #47
Omackeral
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFalstaff View Post

Connors has managed to carve out an acting career for himself against the odds.
Usually just plays scumbags, hardly a massive range.

Quote:
He has landed an agent now and I'll be interested to see what he does next.
Probably just play more scumbags.
11-04-2018, 22:33   #48
ibarelycare
Hosted Moderator

Send a message via MSN to ibarelycare
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettePorter View Post
Him trying his hand in the UK explains why he hasn't been on defending that poor traveller who was killed by that scumbag OAP last week. ; o
I was wondering if/when he’d have his say on that.
(2) thanks from:
11-04-2018, 22:42   #49
ibarelycare
Hosted Moderator

Quote:
Disappointed, but not surprised, to see the usual reactionary attitudes towards travellers on display here.
It’s not surprising because the comments are substantiated.

The majority of travellers contribute nothing to Irish society. They fought to be seen as a minority yet argue that they’re not treated as equals. The ratio of criminals to law-abiding citizens in the travelling community is exponentially larger than in the settled community. Criminality is largely condoned in their community, they believe they are above the law. Travellers make up something like 11% of the Irish prison population, yet make up less than 1% of the actual population. I’ve never spoken to a person about travellers in which they have not had mainly negative experiences of them. True there are some good travellers, but it’s hard not to tarnish them all with the same brush when so many of them are not good.
(86) thanks from:
Agricola, ahnowbrowncow, badtoro, Barry Badrinath, Barry Dolan, BattleCorp, Benildus, Blazer, BrianBoru00, brooke 2, BRYAN Is Ainm Dom, Calhoun, Candlemass, Carroller, Church on Tuesday, CoDy1, coillsaille, CollyFlower, colm_mcm, Corben Dallas, daisybun, DaithiMa, dan1895, daveyeh, DavidLyons_, deco nate, Demonique, Dr Brown, dsaint1, dublinman1990, EIREDriver, erica74, Filmer Paradise, floyd333, For Forks Sake, Foxhound38, georgina toadbum, glasso, gman127, Gravelly, grimm2005, humberklog, Huntergonzo, idle, jim salter, jmayo, Juanito13, jugger0, Kaizersoze81, Koloman, kstand, laoisgem, Lollipops23, marknjb, Matta Harri, McGrath5, mieletech, musiknonstop, Oops!, PandaPoo, passremarkable, PopePalpatine, Queen-Mise, rabwaygal, readyletsgo, Rennaws, retro:electro, rocky1813, SecretsOfEarth, swampgas, Tabnabs, TallGlass, thesultan, tom_k, tradhead, Vel, vladmydad, wetlandsboy, wexie, WHIP IT!, whiskeyman, Wibbs, Yamanoto, yermanoffthetv, Zadkiel, _Dara_
11-04-2018, 22:45   #50
Panthro

His cardboard gangsters film was good all the same though.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
11-04-2018, 22:50   #51
Omackeral
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthro View Post
His cardboard gangsters film was good all the same though.
It was trash. No depth, crappy performances and just very hammy.
11-04-2018, 23:06   #52
JohnFalstaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarelycare View Post
It’s not surprising because the comments are substantiated.

The majority of travellers contribute nothing to Irish society. They fought to be seen as a minority yet argue that they’re not treated as equals. The ratio of criminals to law-abiding citizens in the travelling community is exponentially larger than in the settled community. Criminality is largely condoned in their community, they believe they are above the law. Travellers make up something like 11% of the Irish prison population, yet make up less than 1% of the actual population. I’ve never spoken to a person about travellers in which they have not had mainly negative experiences of them. True there are some good travellers, but it’s hard not to tarnish them all with the same brush when so many of them are not good.
"The majority of travellers blacks contribute nothing to Irish society. They fought to be seen as a minority yet argue that they’re not treated as equals. The ratio of criminals to law-abiding citizens in the travelling black community is exponentially larger than in the settled white community. Criminality is largely condoned in their community, they believe they are above the law. Travellers Blacks make up something like 11% of the Irish prison population, yet make up less than 1% of the actual population. I’ve never spoken to a person about travellers blacks in which they have not had mainly negative experiences of them. True there are some good travellers blacks, but it’s hard not to tarnish them all with the same brush when so many of them are not good."

Substituting the terms shines a light on the underlying message. What era would the post evoke if the word 'travellers' was replaced with 'Jews'?
11-04-2018, 23:12   #53
Omackeral
Banned

Quote:
Substituting the terms shines a light on the underlying message. What era would the post evoke if the word 'travellers' was replaced with 'Jews'?
Absolutely idiotic and yet predictable. You got a Nazi reference and the African American connection in all in the one post. Deflect, deflect, deflect.
(86) thanks from:
Agent Coulson, ahnowbrowncow, anewme, Barry Dolan, BattleCorp, BettePorter, BrianBoru00, brooke 2, Calhoun, Candlemass, Carroller, carrollsno1, Cessna_Pilot, coillsaille, colm_mcm, Conservative, daisybun, DaithiMa, dan1895, DavidLyons_, deco nate, Demonique, dublinman1990, duffman13, duffysfarm, EIREDriver, erica74, Filmer Paradise, Flex, For Forks Sake, Foxhound38, gman127, Gravelly, grimm2005, heroics, humberklog, ibarelycare, Insect Overlord, IrishZeus, jackhammer, jim salter, jmayo, Juanito13, kaymin, Koloman, kstand, ligerdub, Lithium93_, marknjb, Matta Harri, maximoose, Meleftone, mieletech, Mo14, musiknonstop, NewbridgeIR, Oops!, pablo128, pauliebdub, PieOhMy, PMC999, Queen-Mise, readyletsgo, Rennaws, Ri_Nollaig, SecretsOfEarth, SexBobomb, Suckler, Tabnabs, techdiver, Time, tom_k, tradhead, Varik, vladmydad, W123-80's, weldoninhio, wexie, WHIP IT!, whiskeyman, Wibbs, Will I Am Not, Yamanoto, yermanoffthetv, Zadkiel, _Dara_
11-04-2018, 23:18   #54
ibarelycare
Hosted Moderator

Quote:
"The majority of travellers blacks contribute nothing to Irish society. They fought to be seen as a minority yet argue that they’re not treated as equals. The ratio of criminals to law-abiding citizens in the travelling black community is exponentially larger than in the settled white community. Criminality is largely condoned in their community, they believe they are above the law. Travellers Blacks make up something like 11% of the Irish prison population, yet make up less than 1% of the actual population. I’ve never spoken to a person about travellers blacks in which they have not had mainly negative experiences of them. True there are some good travellers blacks, but it’s hard not to tarnish them all with the same brush when so many of them are not good."

What I said isnt applicable to black people or Jewish people in this country, so your substitution makes no sense. Embarrassing response.
(119) thanks from:
ahnowbrowncow, anewme, Auldloon, Barry Dolan, BettePorter, Big Ears, boombang, BoroMan32, BrianBoru00, brooke 2, BuboBubo, Calhoun, Candlemass, Carroller, carrollsno1, Cessna_Pilot, coillsaille, colm_mcm, Conservative, coolisin, Corben Dallas, count dookoo, daisybun, DaithiMa, dan1895, DavidLyons_, deco nate, Demonique, dirkmeister, Dog walker 1234, doncarlos, Dr.RexButtz, dsaint1, dublinman1990, duffman13, EIREDriver, erica74, Filmer Paradise, Flex, For Forks Sake, Foxhound38, Funkfield, georgina toadbum, gman127, gozunda, Gravelly, greenspurs, grimm2005, heroics, Hogzy, Homer, humberklog, Huntergonzo, Insect Overlord, IrishZeus, jim salter, jmayo, JohnnyFlash, jt69er, Juanito13, kaymin, keith_sixteen, Koloman, kstand, laoisgem, lawred2, ligerdub, Lithium93_, Matta Harri, Meleftone, mieletech, Mo14, mooman, musiknonstop, NewbridgeIR, Omackeral, OmegaGene, Oops!, Outlaw Pete, PCeeeee, PieOhMy, Pintman Paddy Losty, PMC999, Poor Uncle Tom, Queen-Mise, questionmark?, readyletsgo, Rennaws, Rikand, Ri_Nollaig, SecretsOfEarth, SexBobomb, Sheep breeder, SmartinMartin, SSr0, Stu Redman, Suckler, Tabnabs, TallGlass, techdiver, the dunne, Time, Tipsy McSwagger, tom_k, tradhead, vestanpance, vladmydad, Vyse, W123-80's, weldoninhio, wetlandsboy, wexie, WHIP IT!, Will I Am Not, yabadabado, Yamanoto, yermanoffthetv, Zadkiel, _Dara_
Advertisement
11-04-2018, 23:20   #55
mdwexford

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChikiChiki View Post
Doesn't seem like the sharpest tool in the box yet he is regarded as a highly revered member of the travelling community.
They don't have many high level candidates to choose from.
11-04-2018, 23:24   #56
Pac1Man

There was a young man called John,
Who came across as a bit of a mong.
He said he could act,
But the skills that he lacked,
Led him only to be cast as a con.
11-04-2018, 23:31   #57
Wibbs
Wibbed for your pleasure.

Quote:

God forbid actual facts and statistics get in the way of being Right On. Travellers aren't Black. They look like any other White Irish person. They're not singled out by an obvious visual difference, so there's that. Ask a Black person who is living in a racist society what the difference would mean if they didn't stand out. As for "Jews"? Well let's go back to Nazi Germany, as you seem hellbent on conflating the Irish experience with that. Nice and emotive BTW *slow handclap*. In Nazi Germany and the lead up to it Jewish people were not over represented among the criminal class or prisoners. Indeed they were so integrated into German society that the Nazis had to invent blood laws among other nonsense to tease out who was a "Jew" and who wasn't. If Jews had been only 1% of the population but 11% of the prison population their propaganda would have written itself. But they weren't and it didn't.

So yeah, try again. Try and explain the disparity between the background Irish population, try to explain why so many Travellers availed of the various leg ups down the years and became, well... contributing Irish people, yet a percentage didn't and perverted their own culture into what we all too often see today as anti social and criminal behaviour.
11-04-2018, 23:36   #58
andekwarhola

He was OK until Nidge made that faux pas about nits.
11-04-2018, 23:46   #59
Heebie

He was pointing out that the rant sounds exactly like comments made about Blacks in the US, with the implication being that the (mis)treatment of them by the larger society is the real problem.

(and I can't say I disagree with him. The only "evidence" I have personally witnessed that supports the idea that travellers are mostly criminals is from films and TV shows that portray them that way. The admittedly few travellers that I know personally aren't folks I'd describe that way, and they're not in prison.)

Last edited by Heebie; 12-04-2018 at 18:53.
(3) thanks from:
11-04-2018, 23:52   #60
Omackeral
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heebie View Post
The only "evidence" I have personally witnessed that supports the idea that travellers are mostly criminals is from films and TV shows that portray them that way. The admittedly few travellers that I know personally aren't folks I'd describe that way, and they're not in prison.
I work in a prison. They're massively, massively over represented within the system when compared to their numbers in the general population.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion