Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flatmates partner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

If you have a bedroom below someone else's bedroom you will always have noise issues. My sister lives in this situation where the person below gets pis$ed at every day living noises ( and yes, riding the hole off each other is everyday/nighttime living noises)

So, is OP annoyed at the lack of noise deadening and room positioning or are they excessively making noise? My guess is the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Is it two nights in a row or separately? That makes a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/tenants_rights_and_obligations.html

"You are entitled to have visitors to stay overnight or for short periods, unless specifically forbidden in your tenancy agreement. You must tell your landlord if you have an extra person moving in."

2 nights a week, even on a regular basis, would seem to be covered under overnight / short period stays.

So unless there is a stipulation in your tenancy agreement, it seems perfectly legal. I don't think 2 nights a week is an issue personally, whereas I do believe noise after a certain time is completely unacceptable.

I would not be sending texts in relation to sound, unless you wanted evidence that you have done so on multiple occasions. Instead I'd be knocking on the door and explaining that I need to sleep as it is now after 12.

Everyone will have different opionions on this, but if you start making demands that seem unreasonable to the other party, or to the landlord, it is not going to help your situation at all.

So steps to be taken: discuss with your neighbour, ask if there is any intention to increase the number of nights their partner is over as 2 nights would be a more than fair limit, and then move on to discussion of the unacceptable noise levels.

I would only approach the landlord in the event that the noise doesn't cease as he really isn't going to want to know. He just wants his rent and his peace and quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

My flatmates partner has stayed 2 nights every week since my flatmate moved in, that 4-5 weeks ago.

Apologies I can't quote some replies here, I'm on a phone.... But it's more of a noise issue really.

The times I texted asking to keep the noise down would have been at night, hence why not face to face. I do intend on bringing up the issue with him face to face next time he's around, we both work different hours and days.

I don't want this to turn into where it starts turning into her staying more than 2 nights and getting too comfy here. Maybe I am being ott, but I guess when none of us here have met her, I here the rollers on the bag coming in the door every week, the fact the bedroom is right over mine and I can here them walking above me at all hours of the night is pissing me off.

No he hasn't stayed at hers as he's here every night.

I've no problem saying something, it's just I obviously don't want to start some kind of bad atmosphere in the house.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

She stays 2 nights in a row...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

Hi

New flat mate moved in just over a month ago. The last 4 weeks straight, they have had their partner stay 2 nights every week. I find this kinda cheeky as it seems a constant pattern,
    her staying 2 nights free here a week.

Another problem is their room is above .e and I can hear almost everything. Some nights they have come in a 2.30am and I'm kept awake. My flatmates partner also seems loud like footsteps and has a loud laugh.

What are my options here? On nights they were making noise I texted to say keep the noise. Down, to which I got no response. I'm getting fairy pissed now, I pay rent and am entitled to relax and enjoy the place.

* Please no " Just move out" Replys. Its not helpful. Open to other suggestions.

He is an animal at the end of the day. Don’t want to be cruel to animals?

Nikki Sixx wrote: »
    Hi

New flat mate moved in just over a month ago. The last 4 weeks straight, they have had their partner stay 2 nights every week. I find this kinda cheeky as it seems a constant pattern,
    her staying 2 nights free here a week.

Another problem is their room is above .e and I can hear almost everything. Some nights they have come in a 2.30am and I'm kept awake. My flatmates partner also seems loud like footsteps and has a loud laugh.

What are my options here? On nights they were making noise I texted to say keep the noise. Down, to which I got no response. I'm getting fairy pissed now, I pay rent and am entitled to relax and enjoy the place.

* Please no " Just move out" Replys. Its not helpful. Open to other suggestions.

He is an animal at the end of the day. Don’t want to be cruel to animals?

I have my favorite type of animals....and it's not human s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Regardless to them stayimg 2 or 3 night, the bottom line is that they are keeping you awake, this is not acceptable in the slightest.

Tell her to her face that she better not continue waking you up late at night, dont be friendly about it.

Also let the landlord know about the issue.

Don't lisyen to all the entitled lefties on here saying how youve no right etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

italodisco wrote: »
    Regardless to them stayimg 2 or 3 night, the bottom line is that they are keeping you awake, this is not acceptable in the slightest.

Tell her to her face that she better not continue waking you up late at night, dont be friendly about it.

Also let the landlord know about the issue.

Absolutely do not do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

italodisco wrote: »

A person certainly has a right to peace and quiet in their own home after a certain time and I have said as much.

However, their rights in terms of their flatmate not being allowed have a visitor two nights in a row? Find me any piece of legislation, law or guidance for Ireland that proves they have a right to stop a person having a guest for two nights in a row. Good luck on a fruitless hunt.

Also - "not being nice about it" is only going to foster an unfriendly environment. The OP has to share a home with this person, acting a c u next Tuesday is not going to make that home a fun place to live. So pretty poor advice all in all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

OP a partner staying over 2 nights a week isn't really a problem I would think. Especially if they're not taking over the house.

Just to clarify - is it just that they are walking around in the room above yours and that's waking you up (combo of light sleeping and wood floors?) or are they actually making noise. If it's the normal just walking around, maybe just mention it to the flatmate would it be ok to put down a rug if it's wood floors as you can hear everytime they move. Unfortunately if it's just that level of noise, there's not much either of you can do. You can't exactly tell a flatmate that they have to not move around their own room after midnight because it disturbs your sleep. However if it is them genuinely being noisy then have a word and say that it's keeping you up and can they please be more mindful of other people in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Look to exchange bedrooms.

OP a partner staying over 2 nights a week isn't really a problem I would think. Especially if they're not taking over the house.

Just to clarify - is it just that they are walking around in the room above yours and that's waking you up (combo of light sleeping and wood floors?) or are they actually making noise. If it's the normal just walking around, maybe just mention it to the flatmate would it be ok to put down a rug if it's wood floors as you can hear everytime they move. Unfortunately if it's just that level of noise, there's not much either of you can do. You can't exactly tell a flatmate that they have to not move around their own room after midnight because it disturbs your sleep. However if it is them genuinely being noisy then have a word and say that it's keeping you up and can they please be more mindful of other people in the house.

The rug isn't a bad idea, though I don't expect them to go out and buy one just for the sake of me.

I'm gonna have a word with him and just say I don't expect ye to tip toe around the bed room, but be mindful maybe throwing shoes on the floor etc...I'm asleep just below ye, and that I have work in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Unanimous

I don't think two nights a week is an issue.
    If the bill has a significant jump then the new housemate has to take a bigger share.
    People in serious relationships spend weekends together so I don't see the fuss.
    Speak to him about the noise as that is the real issue.

Noise issue hasn't stopped, Iv asked many times to keep their voices down. Tonight she's moaning out loud. Twice Iv asked them to keep their voices down. I'm so sick of it every week my sleep is disrupted. Iv written out a text I'm planning on sending my landlord tomorrow morning.. . Asking if perhaps she might text and say something along the lines of show some respect to the other housemates....

Noise issue hasn't stopped, Iv asked many times to keep their voices down. Tonight she's moaning out loud. Twice Iv asked them to keep their voices down. I'm so sick of it every week my sleep is disrupted. Iv written out a text I'm planning on sending my landlord tomorrow morning.. . Asking if perhaps she might text and say something along the lines of show some respect to the other housemates....

Does this go on after 12? have you spoke to your housemate face to face about this issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

There's only one issue here. Your issue is house sharing. Your housemates behavior is fine. You need to get a place by yourself or put up with sharing.

.[/QUOTE]

Does this go on after 12? have you spoke to your housemate face to face about this issue?[/quote]

It has gone on after then, tonight up until half an hour ago cause twice I said keep the noise down. On 4 occasions Iv asked to keep the noise down, I shouldn't have asked more than twice on do this. And every time I have asked I get 'ya sorry ya' as a reply back.

hurikane wrote: »
    There's only one issue here. Your issue is house sharing. Your housemates behavior is fine. You need to get a place by yourself or put up with sharing.

Their behavior isn't fine... It's disrespectful and annoying.

Does this go on after 12? have you spoke to your housemate face to face about this issue?[/quote]

It has gone on after then, tonight up until half an hour ago cause twice I said keep the noise down. On 4 occasions Iv asked to keep the noise down, I shouldn't have asked more than twice on do this. And every time I have asked I get 'sorry ya' as a reply back.[/QUOTE]

Like I said before noise after 12 is not on in a house-share. Did you speak with your housemate face to face though?

If you have and there is considerable noise after 12, you have to contact your LL about the issue, but again speaking from experience here, LL tend to be very hands off with this stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,284 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Nope, you respect your other housemates and don't keep them up all night

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

You're sharing. This is what happens. This is exactly why I decided 5 years ago that if never live in a house share again.

You're sharing. This is what happens. This is exactly why I decided 5 years ago that if never live in a house share again.

Yeah, that's grand if you can afford to do that.

Does this go on after 12? have you spoke to your housemate face to face about this issue?

It has gone on after then, tonight up until half an hour ago cause twice I said keep the noise down. On 4 occasions Iv asked to keep the noise down, I shouldn't have asked more than twice on do this. And every time I have asked I get 'sorry ya' as a reply back.[/QUOTE]

Like I said before noise after 12 is not on in a house-share. Did you speak with your housemate face to face though?

If you have and there is considerable noise after 12, you have to contact your LL about the issue, but again speaking from experience here, LL tend to be very hands off with this stuff.[/quote]

No I haven't spoken face to face, Im so pissed off I might do it tomorrow, I just know I'm gonna be told, alright ya sorry or some other empty response.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

fritzelly wrote: »
    Nope, you respect your other housemates and don't keep them up all night

Have you read the thread? The flat mate is just living in the house, doing nothing out of the ordinary, and the OP has an issue with this.

Yes it is what happens, but I want to do something about it. All of us here are respectable to each other, bar his GF..... It only takes a small bit of cop on to keep the noise turned low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

I mean, I can see both sides.

Sound insulation in some houses can be ****.
    I can't watch TV in the living room after midnight as it keeps my housemate awake.

If they're really making an attempt to keep the noise down, like talking quietly, not dancing on the floors then theres nothing you can do.
    They're as entitled to their own space as you are.

As a rule I've always given as good as I got. If your roommate is having noisy sex one night, then you have noisy sex some other night :)

Why don't you swap rooms?
    Then you won't hear them walking around. Then put a rug or some carpet down and you might not hear them so clearly.

Hearing them almost turns me off it!! He doesn't shower n she has the most annoying voice n false laugh.

Not swapping cause my room is nicer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Hearing them almost turns me off it!! He doesn't shower n she has the most annoying voice n false laugh.

I mean, is it really about the noise any more or they just annoy you on a personal level?
    I know your room is nicer, but for the sake of your sanity maybe just do it?

Really do feel your pain. Lived in DCC for a year in a house with single pane windows. Got woken up by a Dublin Bus most mornings, or crows, and once by a St. Patrick's Parade brass band warming up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement