Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flatmates partner

Options
  • 02-04-2019 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭

Hi

New flat mate moved in just over a month ago. The last 4 weeks straight, they have had their partner stay 2 nights every week. I find this kinda cheeky as it seems a constant pattern,
    her staying 2 nights free here a week.

Another problem is their room is above .e and I can hear almost everything. Some nights they have come in a 2.30am and I'm kept awake. My flatmates partner also seems loud like footsteps and has a loud laugh.

What are my options here? On nights they were making noise I texted to say keep the noise. Down, to which I got no response. I'm getting fairy pissed now, I pay rent and am entitled to relax and enjoy the place.

* Please no " Just move out" Replys. Its not helpful. Open to other suggestions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

2 nights a week doesn’t seem unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Your flatmate is entitled to have their partner over for 3 nights in the week.

Your flatmate is paying rent too.

Have a word in person (not post it notes, texts or any of that nonsense) and ask them to be mindful of keeping the noise down after 12 which is a rule in househares.

Failing that, move out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Says who, exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Have a word in person (not post it notes, texts or any of that nonsense) and ask them to be mindful of keeping the noise down after 12 which is a rule in househares.

Failing that, move out.

Entitled to stay 3 nights a week? Rent free?? how is that an entitlement?

I won't be uping and moving out just like that. I and the other housemates are respectable of each other, and always has been that way. There has been times their partners, including mine have stayed over, but never for 2 nights every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,366 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Failing that, move out.
    No their night, 3 nights is to much

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »

It's not.

As a general rule, a tenant is allowed to have a guest over for 3 nights.

I think it's on either Threshold or RTB site. Not sure.

I've been in househares where this was the case and there was no fuss, because nobody was doing anything wrong.

In this case the issue seems to be noise after 12 which is not acceptable.

So if it bothers you that much, and you won't have a word with the flatmate in person about it, then your only other option is to raise the issue with the landlord who more than likely will be of the opinion of whats the big deal or buy ear plugs.

Failing that, get in touch with the RTB

It's not.

I've been in househares where this was the case and there was no fuss, because nobody was doing anything wrong.

So if it bothers you that much, and you won't have a word with the flatmate in person about it, then your only other option is to raise the issue with the landlord who more than likely will be of the opinion of whats the big deal or buy ear plugs.

I never said I wouldn't have a word with them, as awkward as I imagine it would be, I would rather talk face to face with them about it. I just want to see what people would suggest to do or say.

I never said I wouldn't have a word with them, as awkward as I imagine it would be, I would rather talk face to face with them about it. I just want to see what people would suggest to do or say.

I understand but it's the best approach, you don't want any passive aggressiveness in a house-share.

It's not fair of them to be making noise after 12, that's not on, so have a chat with them, and if that doesn't work have a word with the Landlord but they tend to be pretty hands off regarding this stuff.

If that fails get in touch with the RTB and see what advice they can give you.

If things get very bad with this flatmate you can go down the dispute route via the RTB but as you can imagine that would be a lot of hassle.

• Administrators Posts: 13,833 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Moved to Accommodation and Property. Local forum charter applies.

It's not.

42% is far to much to have a guest over especially on a weekly basis. At that stage they need to pay rent, bills etc.

• Advertisement

42% is far to much to have a guest over especially on a weekly basis. At that stage they need to pay rent, bills etc.

It be of the understanding that it's not week in, week out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I think 2 nights a week is pretty reasonable to be honest. If they're taking over the house while they're over, that's another matter. But if they're confined to the renter's room, then I wouldn't see that as a problem.

The causing noise at late hours is an issue, but it's essentially an issue irrespective of the partner staying over. You should mention this to them.

It be of the understanding that it's not week in, week out.

It was you that said 3 nights a week

It was you that said 3 nights a week

Yeah I did, I also didn't say week in week out.

The partner has stayed 2 nights every week, the last 4 weeks since my flatmate moved in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Outcastangel

There's nothing else you can do to resolve the issue other than letting them know it's an issue.

If the other housemates have an issue get them to back you up but make sure not to gang up on the other housemate you're confronting. Just be frank and keep a cool head.

We have a rule in the house I live in with two others; if our partner is staying the night, we give a heads up, even if it's just an hour's notice. I think it's common courtesy that people know who is in the house they're living in.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,223 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The partner has stayed 2 nights every week, the last 4 weeks since my flatmate moved in.

I'd say that's pretty normal, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Benny Biscotti

If theyre staying 2 nights and only new into the house it wont be long until it's 3 or 4 and then a shelf in the fridge. They are probably thinking well they haven't said anything so it must be OK.

Yeah I did, I also didn't say week in week out.

3 times a week is 3 times a week. So yeah that’s exactly what you said.

Did you mean 3 times every 2 weeks ? Every month ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

20 euro a night ( or whatever), to cover costs. See what they say.

No need for tenants to subsidise a non tenant. EVER.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,913 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I'd say that's pretty normal, sorry.

So who is paying for the shower, the electricity and food prep and so on. Sorry. Just wondered who bears the extra cost here.

So who is paying for the shower, the electricity and food prep and so on. Sorry. Just wondered who bears the extra cost here.

What exactly is the extra cost for food prep? Do you have any idea how much it costs to have a shower?

If someone's partner is utilising a lot of resources, then that's something that needs to be dealt with. That's never really been my experience of things though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,332 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Three nights a week in shared accommodation is a bit ridiculous and obviously no regard for other tenants - private accommodation that's between them and the LL
    When I was sharing it was only ever 1 or 2 nights a week at most and I was friendly with the girlfriend of the tenant - going out for a drink together etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

2 nights a week is perfectly normal and if OP raises it as an issue then he is the problem in the house, not the housemate and his GF.

If it goes to 3 its borderline and above that it's a problem but for now, No issue at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

2 nights a week is perfectly normal and if OP raises it as an issue then he is the problem in the house, not the housemate and his GF.

If it goes to 3 its borderline and above that it's a problem but for now, No issue at all.

Is it not the noise issues also?

Graces7 wrote: »
    Is it not the noise issues also?

Deal with that in the same way as you would whether the partner is visiting or not. If a housemate is making too much noise (alone or with company), then ask if they can try to be quieter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭willabur

I have been in this situation and it is horrible. Not much you can do unfortunately other than ask them to be more discreet. If you do in such a way that its not a confrontation then all the better.

Another solution (unlikely) is to swap rooms with them

Hi

New flat mate moved in just over a month ago. The last 4 weeks straight, they have had their partner stay 2 nights every week. I find this kinda cheeky as it seems a constant pattern,
    her staying 2 nights free here a week.

Another problem is their room is above .e and I can hear almost everything. Some nights they have come in a 2.30am and I'm kept awake. My flatmates partner also seems loud like footsteps and has a loud laugh.

What are my options here? On nights they were making noise I texted to say keep the noise. Down, to which I got no response. I'm getting fairy pissed now, I pay rent and am entitled to relax and enjoy the place.

* Please no " Just move out" Replys. Its not helpful. Open to other suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Mod Note.

Do not post this crap again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

I think you're conflating two issues OP.

I don't think having a GF/BF over 2 nights per week is unreasonable. Does your roommate also spend time outside of the house when they're away with their partner at their place? I find these things balance out. I think for a couple to spend anywhere between 2-4 nights per week together is pretty normal if they don't live together. Obviously if its 4 nights, that should be split across two properties, and not all in one persons house.

What I would find difficult would be the following;

If they were always taking over the sitting room/other communal spaces
    If it got beyond 2 nights per week, every week
    If they the partner was there when your housemate is not
    If they're eating things that don't belong to them
    ...genreally making themselves too at home

You've not indicated that any of the above is happening.

It seems to me the real issue is noise. Would you have such an issue is the partner was there an equal amount of time, but there was no noise disturbance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Does your flatmate stay at their partner’s place at all? I’d be inclined to leave it if they’re gone 1-2 nights a week themselves.

Re the noise, keep at telling them they’re being too loud. I take it you didn’t have noise issues with the previous person who had that room.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement