Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What age should young adults leave the home?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Febreeze

Since I was 20, I've moved out then back home. Currently moved out now and have been for the longest time with my partner. Its a case of having enough money. Luckily I'm in a stable financial situation. I don't think there's any age really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭NeonWolf

I don’t understand people who have kids, Instagram the **** out of them , live vicariously through them only to **** them out as soon as they legally can.

It’s weird.

Whatever about your 45 year old son still being there, why wouldn’t you want a 28 year old knocking about . Once you all get on that is....
    I mean you’ll all miss each other when yis die

• Registered Users Posts: 13,323 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Well, I disagree with the third world bit. But the urge to protect old people's wealth by getting young people to pay for it, is wrong.

The avg. income has gone up, as has the cost of living, but the wealth gap has widened since the recession. I'm no economologist, but I reckon there's a lot of people being shat on by a high rent/low wage combo that is hidden behind the averages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭knockers84

Who cares once the parents are happy with the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

kowloon wrote: »
    The avg. income has gone up, as has the cost of living, but the wealth gap has widened since the recession. I'm no economologist, but I reckon there's a lot of people being shat on by a high rent/low wage combo that is hidden behind the averages.

Precisely that. If wage over 50,000 PA and minimum wage both increase at 3% per year for 10 years, the gap between them has grown hugely.

Greater and greater % of young people's wages are spent on housing and rent. Renting from old people to subsidise their already higher income. For the first time ever, old people's wages (not including wealth) is higher than young people. So now the old have the money and the assets.

It's not surprising that they don't have a clue whats going on for young people. Why would they bother to find out? It wouldn't suit them if they knew how out if whack things have gone.

Much easier to just give out about young people living at home than to wonder why it's happening

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

NeonWolf wrote: »
    I don’t understand people who have kids, Instagram the **** out of them , live vicariously through them only to **** them out as soon as they legally can.
    I doubt there are people like the above though.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Illgetmycoat

If you love your kids then for as long as they want no matter what the circumstances 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Path123

I moved out when I was 22, once I had finished my Masters Degree and was working full-time. I think it's important for people to get out if they can, as you do learn an awful lot of cop-on and how to budget/save correctly when it's all on you. I'm getting married next month, and have saved up every cent with my partner without having to go into debt or get a loan as you realise very quickly, once you get your independence the bank of mam and dad is long foreclosed.

I see my sibling is 28, engaged to be married, works during the week down in Cork (we live in the West) but spends every weekend at home, for all intents and purposes she's still there full-time, and it does create a lot of hostility and dependency on parents, it's an odd situation and i'm just glad I was able to avoid it.

Each to their own, but I do think it's so important to get out from your parental stability/full fridge/rent paid if possible- you learn an awful lot very fast when you realise nobody cares if you have money for groceries/electricity!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

24. Show em the door

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Path123 wrote: »
    I moved out when I was 22, once I had finished my Masters Degree and was working full-time. I think it's important for people to get out if they can, as you do learn an awful lot of cop-on and how to budget/save correctly when it's all on you. I'm getting married next month, and have saved up every cent with my partner without having to go into debt or get a loan as you realise very quickly, once you get your independence the bank of mam and dad is long foreclosed.

I see my sibling is 28, engaged to be married, works during the week down in Cork (we live in the West) but spends every weekend at home, for all intents and purposes she's still there full-time, and it does create a lot of hostility and dependency on parents, it's an odd situation and i'm just glad I was able to avoid it.

Each to their own, but I do think it's so important to get out from your parental stability/full fridge/rent paid if possible- you learn an awful lot very fast when you realise nobody cares if you have money for groceries/electricity!!

Yea, it's a cold hard world out there.

May I ask how you got a Masters degree at only 22? Was it 3/4 years for a bachelors and 1/2 for a Masters? What degree did you do?

I'm only 21 and failed repeating the LC twice so I'm ****ed. Gonna do a course in journalism. Wonder what its like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

May I ask how you got a Masters degree at only 22? Was it 3/4 years for a bachelors and 1/2 for a Masters? What degree did you do?

I'm only 21 and failed repeating the LC twice so I'm ****ed. Gonna do a course in journalism. Wonder what its like.
    It's quite possible. Not everyone does transition year or repeats and if they start at 4 it means they are starting university at 17. 4 year degree plus 1 year master = finished by 22.

Most kids are starting school now at 5, do ty and if repeat can be 19 or even 20 when finishing the leaving!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Personally I left home at the age of 14, got the bus to Dublin, boat to Wales and then down to London.Slept rough for a while, but got digs then, started working with a block layer. Learned the trade myself and went out in my own at 19. Employed 115 people at 29, sold the business at 33, retired madly enough and went back home in 1988, my fortune made.
    Couldn’t have done it if I’d stayed at home, that’s the reality.
    My young fella is 31 now, and won’t get out of the house. Says it’s too expensive and he’d be lonely. Some change in times.
    Now I know not everyone had the success I had, some fell foul of booze and even cocaine, but things have gone too far now.

If you love your kids then for as long as they want no matter what the circumstances 😏
    Once they contribute to the household, whether chores or paying bills. But yeah, don't see how it matters what age an adult living in their parents' house is, so long as they're not a lazy freeloader.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I moved out immediately after finishing my undergrad degree, but moved back in with my mom about 8 years later for 4 years. During that time, I paid monthly rent, paid for my own groceries, and helped with cleaning, house maintenance, etc. I saved up money to move to San Francisco, which was on the other side of the country. I moved out over 5 years ago and have been out here living on my own ever since, making more money than I could have ever earned in my small, Southern hometown. I live comfortably, can afford to travel abroad, took my mom to Hawaii last year, all while taking advantage of my company's generous 401k plan, so saving money monthly as well.

I don't know of anyone who could move out on their own in Bay Area (or any top tier American city) at 18 without having 5+ roommates or parental assistance. All of the people under 40 I know who bought their own place out here did so with the help of a large inheritance or a trust fund. I don't see how moving in with your parents to save some money on rent for a few years is much different from that, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Path123

Started college at 18, 3 year undergraduate and 1 year Masters then, background in HR. I wouldn't worry so much about age, i'm going to be going back to retrain in a completely unrelated field at 27 once i've saved up enough cash to do so. Don't put a timeframe on anything, people have their own path.

Friend of mine actually moved into his mother's house when he was 35. Big house, she was on her own, his relationship had ended - won't be forever. I thought it was an excellent idea. His mother was of course delighted with the company too.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭voldejoie

I recently moved back home from Dublin at the grand age of 28, and now I commute to the city and live with my parents. They have been out of work for a while, and it made no sense for me to be in Dublin spending crazy money on rent when they were struggling to pay their mortgage and keep the house going.

Moving back has actually been grand, and my parents are appreciative of me helping out. Win win! What works for one family doesn't always work for another, and isn't it great that we live in a world where we can decide that for ourselves :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,413 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I moved out at 23, bought a house with my sister. Moved in with my now-ex husband and then found myself back at home at 29 when that ended. I stayed there for about 18 months while I put my heart back together and have been renting ever since. I've pretty much accepted at this stage that I'll never be in a position to buy again while paying rent. I could move home and save like the clappers for several years but quite frankly, I would rather pay the rent and have my own space than move home at 37 for however long it would take me to save a deposit. And my parents are fantastic and really easy to live with but still, no, not for me, thanks.

Fwiw, we were all expected to hand up money at home as soon as we started working full time and even if I did move home to save now I'd be expected to pay probably around €400 a month in "rent", and rightly so, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I was living with my parents until a year ago. I'm 33 and spent the previous 6 years or so saving for moving out on top of repaying car loans and paying my way in their house. I saved for my mortgage deposit and bought my own place in February 2018 and moved in in August 2018.

On top of giving my folks money towards bills I looked after all the gardening and landscaping upkeep.

As was said, it does not matter what age you are when you move out as long as you're contributing to more than reducing the amount of food in the house.

Advertisement