Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What age should young adults leave the home?

Options
  • 22-08-2019 2:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

When they've turned 18 or until after they've gotten a college degree/decent job to support themselves?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

When they've turned 18 or until after they've gotten a college degree/decent job to support themselves?

I would assume ( post 18)the correct answer is when they can find and afford their own place. I would have no interest in adding my son to the homeless numbers just because he is 19.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,899 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

When they can afford to.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

I'd let mine stay until they could afford a place of their own, providing they contribute towards the bills, food etc. If they're working and earning, they can pay the family tax too! However I'd draw the line at them letting their girlfriends/boyfriends move in. I've got 5 kids and my house is cramped enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

My situations relevant so I may as well post about it.

I'm 22, and I'm starting back into college this September (previously dropped out), I'm starting as a 2nd year so I've 3 years to go.

My parents have no issue with letting me live at home, namely because I'm paying out of pocket for college this time round and because I'm intentionally choosing something within driving distance to keep costs down.

I'll be around 25 when I graduate, assuming I can get some decent job I'll move out.

I doubt there's many 20 somethings+ staying at home because they really want to.
    It's almost always down to some other commitment, or just plain old cost of rent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

MrMiata wrote: »
    My situations relevant so I may as well post about it.

I'm 22, and I'm starting back into college this September (previously dropped out), I'm starting as a 2nd year so I've 3 years to go.

My parents have no issue with letting me live at home, namely because I'm paying out of pocket for college this time round and because I'm intentionally choosing something within driving distance to keep costs down.

I'll be around 25 when I graduate, assuming I can get some decent job I'll move out.

I doubt there's many 20 somethings+ staying at home because they really want to.
    It's almost always down to some other commitment, or just plain old cost of rent.

What do you work as?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Del2005 wrote: »
    When they can afford to.

So about 50 in Dublin :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,681 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Ideally, as soon as possible, and the sooner the better! :D

most leave home for college at 17

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

What do you work as?

I worked in a warehouse over the summer saving up, I'm hoping to get part time work going back to college too.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

Depends on the person and the family home set up. An 18 year old layabout would have no place with me, on the other hand an 18 yr old in college or working would be welcome to stay as long as they played by the rules. I wouldn't want to make my daughters life unnecessarily stressful by kicking her out simply because she reaches a certain age. Not opposed to kicking her out if she's being a tyrant though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

My children will be welcome to live with us until they want to leave and can afford their own place.

Both our eldest are in university near our home and we have another two who are still in school.

I am just delighted they got into the local university so that I don't have to fund rent for them in another city.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

JustMe,K wrote: »
    Depends on the person and the family home set up. An 18 year old layabout would have no place with me, on the other hand an 18 yr old in college or working would be welcome to stay as long as they played by the rules. I wouldn't want to make my daughters life unnecessarily stressful by kicking her out simply because she reaches a certain age. Not opposed to kicking her out if she's being a tyrant though!

know any 18yr olds that were kicked out and made homeless?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

So about 50 in Dublin :pac:

That's very optimistic, S. At least down the country its only 40.

Makes me feel like standing up and screaming the national anthem such is my pride in my country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Fian wrote: »
    My children will be welcome to live with us until they want to leave and can afford their own place.

Both our eldest are in university near our home and we have another two who are still in school.

I am just delighted they got into the local university so that I don't have to fund rent for them in another city.
    I came to post about this. Not everyone can stay at home for practical reasons. Any rural kids wanting to go to university will have to move and just get on with things. What I don't understand is adult kids who have jobs and don't contribute anything to the household and just blow through all their money, rather than saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

If I had kids I wouldn't care how long they lived at home as long as they put in the effort and worked hard enough to eventually be in a position where they can move out, whenever that might be. Personally I'd nearly prefer if they saved up to travel the world a bit before bankrupting themselves trying to pay rent in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

know any 18yr olds that were kicked out and made homeless?

I actually do.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Have spoke to people about this for years, i have friends in Sweden most kids leave home anywhere from 16 to 18 ,but not good old ireland i know some [males] that are still at home in their 40's+,and contribute very little [most times in pubs etc], do they ever ever think that their parents would like some kind of life and get out and support themselves? Irish kids thing it's normal to stay at home and give up 50 euro at the end of the week, what would you but now for 50 +get you clothes washed , all meals nice warm house etc, they get it too handy Irish Mammies too soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,762 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

There is no right or wrong answer to this - apart from kicking kids out who aren't equipped to fend for themselves. My son is 24 and living with me again, after being off at college for 4 years getting an IT degree. He's not working for someone, but is working on something. I don't think this is at all unusual, given the cost of accommodation: The house across from me has about 4 cars parked outside and i believe there are 2 or more adult offspring living at home. Down the road there is another house with 4 cars regularly parked there.

Multi generational housing is the norm in human history, not the exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Not at all. For starters many people are 18 going to college and then there is all the people who still live close to the college they get into. Then you have the simple fact most do not go to college.
    Being from Dublin most who do go to college do so in Dublin. You might notice Dublin has a huge population compared to the rest of the country so pretty relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

The 2016 Census showed that 59 percent of men over 18 and 41 percent of women were still living at home with their parents. So I don't think it's accurate to say that most leave home at 17.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I think for the kids own development - the sooner they're standing on their own 2 feet the better. There's nothing else quite wises you up like having to fend for yourself. No matter how independent you think you are, when you're living at home you may as well be in nappies.

I moved out at 21 thinking i was a fully fuctioning adult...... I wasn't!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I know you're not supposed to judge people but I can't help feeling anyone still living with Mummy and Daddy past their mid-20's is failing in life quite badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

Was 19 doing leaving cert so parents would have been right cųnts to kick out their 17 year old TY student son.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I know you're not supposed to judge people but I can't help feeling anyone still living with Mummy and Daddy past their mid-20's is failing in life quite badly.

Rents have never been more affordable or accommodation more plentiful........

• Registered Users Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

as soon as they can climb chimneys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Maybe they wouldn't be failing in life quite so badly if they hadn't had to endure a financial crisis and then a housing crisis thanks to successive inept governments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

I lived with me parents past me mid 20s and recently bought me own 4 bedroom house with the other half.

Good things come to those that wait and il forever be greatful to the folks for not fecking me out.

Plenty of others like me that work in a good honest job that don't have the luxury of affording their own home or pay the extortionate rents around Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Maybe they wouldn't be failing in life quite so badly if they hadn't had to endure a financial crisis and then a housing crisis thanks to successive inept governments.

Sure, there's always a handy excuse for those that don't want to stand on their own feet.

It's usually lads from Dublin that are the ones still living at home quite late in life with sob-stories of high rents, etc. Fellas from down the country somehow mange to live independently in the same city though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Twenty Four, Out The Door

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Revolving door policy here until we all bought our own houses

I will continue same with my kids

Advertisement