Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2019 Regular Season Thread

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Nats clinch. Brilliant comeback from where we were at the start of the season!

Pretty good team , with great starting pitching. Question is can our bullpen hold on?

No idea... but just want to win the Wildcard game and beat the Dodgers! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Nats clinch. Brilliant comeback from where we were at the start of the season!

Pretty good team , with great starting pitching. Question is can our bullpen hold on?

No idea... but just want to wining the Wildcard game and beat the Dodgers! :)

Will beating Milwaukee count as a play off series win?

It'll be a very interesting game anyway. The Nats riding Scherzer while the Brewers probably going inning to inning with multiple relievers.

It might be sacrilege to say it but I'd almost prefer to go with Strasburg than Scherzer* going on the past month or so. And there's also the bonus of having Scherzer going in game one in LA!

* watch Scherzer now go and pitch a no-hitter

I wonder will they give Houston a prime time home game in the DS this year. They’ve been the best team in baseball over the past 3 years but have been stuck in the day game slot the past 2 seasons and the players weren’t happy last year.

Ratings trumps all and you have the Yankees and the Dodgers but surely they deserve a night slot this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

I wonder will they give Houston a prime time home game in the DS this year. They’ve been the best team in baseball over the past 3 years but have been stuck in the day game slot the past 2 seasons and the players weren’t happy last year.

Ratings trumps all and you have the Yankees and the Dodgers but surely they deserve a night slot this season.

I doubt they will see a prime time slot as there series will be against Tampa or Oakland probably who have small fanbases.Yankees vs twins ,Cards vs Braves and the Dodgers series will be Much bigger ratings wise .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Will beating Milwaukee count as a play off series win?

It'll be a very interesting game anyway. The Nats riding Scherzer while the Brewers probably going inning to inning with multiple relievers.

It might be sacrilege to say it but I'd almost prefer to go with Strasburg than Scherzer* going on the past month or so. And there's also the bonus of having Scherzer going in game one in LA!

* watch Scherzer now go and pitch a no-hitter

Beating Milwaukee wont be easy. In a clutch situation I would always go with Max to be honest. He just always goes out there and competes. But actually looking at the schedule it will be Strasbourg due up in the rotation.

If we get through that game(which is a big if) also not sure if it will be the Brewers they are red hot right now and can win the Division I think. They are only one game back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

8-10 wrote: »
    A's lose since the above, Rays win 2 in a row:

A's - 94/63
    Rays - 94/64
    Indians - 93/64

I have tickets to the wild card game in the Coliseum next week but that game will only happen there if A's finish top or level top of those 3

I got to watch the 9th inning of the A's after getting up early. 2-1 down top of the 9th, big 2-run shot to centre field by Chapman and A's take it 3-2

Phew. Rays beat the Yankees easily. Cleveland lose. Now stands at:

A's - 95/63
    Rays - 95/64
    Indians - 93/65

Squeaky bum time. Crazy the amount of wins the team who loses out on a wild card will get, all of these teams have a record that would comfortably win the NL Central or NL Wild Card race

I got to watch the 9th inning of the A's after getting up early. 2-1 down top of the 9th, big 2-run shot to centre field by Chapman and A's take it 3-2

A's - 95/63
    Rays - 95/64
    Indians - 93/65

Squeaky bum time. Crazy the amount of wins the team who loses out on a wild card will get, all of these teams have a record that would comfortably win the NL Central or NL Wild Card race

Going to be an interesting weekend. All 3 have to play teams that have nothing really to play for (although the Nats who play Cleveland could still be fighting for a home wild card game but I doubt they’d overstretch players to secure that).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Probably last start as a Mariner and likely last start ever for Felix Hernandez tonight. A real disappointing end, he was lights out for years while Mariners organisation surrounded him with mediocrity and bad trade deals. He got by on raw talent for years but then when that started to fade he was unwilling or unable to adjust. Maybe 5 years ago, he would have been a future hall of famer but it's unlikely he will get in now.

Probably last start as a Mariner and likely last start ever for Felix Hernandez tonight. A real disappointing end, he was lights out for years while Mariners organisation surrounded him with mediocrity and bad trade deals. He got by on raw talent for years but then when that started to fade he was unwilling or unable to adjust. Maybe 5 years ago, he would have been a future hall of famer but it's unlikely he will get in now.

I think I may have been watching live when he threw the perfect game.

I think I may have been watching live when he threw the perfect game.

There hasn't been one since! Nice article about that game here, it's like he knew coming out of the bullpen that it was going to be that day

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mariners/oral-history-the-day-mariners-star-felix-hernandez-was-perfect/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Damn. Saw him regularly at his best when I lived there. He and Ichiro were the only reasons to watch that team. Underperformers like Adrian Beltre were a plague. Richie Sexson. Bleh. But the fans kept showing up no matter how awful the product, and this is the result, a once-great pitcher on an awful team fading away.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Damn. Saw him regularly at his best when I lived there. He and Ichiro were the only reasons to watch that team. Underperformers like Adrian Beltre were a plague. Richie Sexson. Bleh. But the fans kept showing up no matter how awful the product, and this is the result, a once-great pitcher on an awful team fading away.

Yeah saw him a few times and it was always great to watch him.

Anyway Felix was good but not great. Only gave up three runs but loaded the bases multiple times and only had 3 strikeouts over 5.1 innings (vs. 4 walks). I think his biggest problem now is he doesn't have a strikeout pitch. He was in a few 0-2 and 1-2 counts but couldn't put them away. A nice touch from Scott Servais to allow him back out for the 6th so he could get one out and then get pulled. Got a nice ovation.

Will be interesting to see what happens next, he wants to keep playing and maybe a change from Seattle will do him good. Hard to see where he lands, Marlins would be my guess but even then probably only an invite to spring training.

Hard to say Adrian Beltre was a plague in his time at the mariners. He may have underperformed with his bat but he won two gold gloves there. Also his hitting wasnt completely terrible.

Its a real pity that the Mariners never got the pieces around Felix though, very likeable pitcher.

Hard to say Adrian Beltre was a plague in his time at the mariners. He may have underperformed with his bat but he won two gold gloves there. Also his hitting wasnt completely terrible.

Its a real pity that the Mariners never got the pieces around Felix though, very likeable pitcher.

Beltre was where rallies went to die. Gold glove, so what. Couldn't hit a lick - goes to Texas and he's all world. Just didn't perform well in Seattle, huge disappointment with his big contract.

A's - 95/63
    Rays - 95/64
    Indians - 93/65

More 9th inning drama in Seattle. Rays clinch the wild card berth earlier in the evening, A's are in the bottom of the 9th, 3-2 up. Go one strike away from the win but surrender the hit and bring it to 3-3. Then drop a catch in foul ball territory for extra innings and concede walk off hit again with 2 strikes in the board.

Cleveland eliminated, 2 more road games for each of these guys to determine home field advantage...its a long long trip for the away team in this one

A's - 96/64
    Rays - 96/64

More 9th inning drama in Seattle. Rays clinch the wild card berth earlier in the evening, A's are in the bottom of the 9th, 3-2 up. Go one strike away from the win but surrender the hit and bring it to 3-3. Then drop a catch in foul ball territory for extra innings and concede walk off hit again with 2 strikes in the board.

Cleveland eliminated, 2 more road games for each of these guys to determine home field advantage...its a long long trip for the away team in this one

A's - 96/64
    Rays - 96/64

There goes the game 163!

Who has the edge between Oakland/TB if it’s a tie?

There goes the game 163!

Oakland. It's head-to-head record.

I've also been focused on Milwaukee/Washington in the NL WC game but that might not happen the way things are playing out as Milwaukee could still win the division and St Louis will end up in the WC. Although Cubs have basically thrown in the towel and are playing their scrubs so St. Lois should hold on to the division.

• Advertisement

Imagine. A team might win 98 games and not make the playoffs (Cleveland). Wow.

Got to tip the hat to them, though. Cleveland's been very good for a number of years in a row.

A couple of days old now but a bit of a farce don't you think? It's not like 200's even a spectacular number these days

There goes the game 163!

All done anyway. Oakland a game up with 1 each to play so worst case it's a draw

Can look forward to my first October baseball game now!

We might still get a game tomorrow. if the Cubs beat St. Louis and Milwaukee beat Colorado, they play tomorrow to see who wins the division and who goes to the wild card. I bet the Nats are hoping it works out like that to burn a few arms.

As expected, Madden out in Chicago.

SD guy is out. Madden. Callaway? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

I don't think he's going to be unemployed for too long

SD guy is out. Madden. Callaway? :)

Clint Hurdle gone in Pittsburgh too.

We might still get a game tomorrow. if the Cubs beat St. Louis and Milwaukee beat Colorado, they play tomorrow to see who wins the division and who goes to the wild card. I bet the Nats are hoping it works out like that to burn a few arms.

Cardinals going to town against the Cubs so NLC looks safe.

And the Mets finish their season by blowing a save opportunity (not Diaz though). Kind of fitting.

• Advertisement

Imagine. A team might win 98 games and not make the playoffs (Cleveland). Wow.

Got to tip the hat to them, though. Cleveland's been very good for a number of years in a row.

Its a tough one to take alright.

I'm at the Coliseum. Awful atmosphere, you wouldn't know it's October. I guess the Rays just scored too early. 8th inning but this one is over.

Advertisement