Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deep Space Nine Runthrough

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

The cardessians were great crack. You could imagine having a pint with them. Very wry humour. Bar dax you would avoid the rest at a party . Well maybe not Kiera or Quark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The cardessians were great crack. You could imagine having a pint with them. Very wry humour. Bar dax you would avoid the rest at a party . Well maybe not Kiera or Quark

Ah O'Brien would be good for a pint. Quark too.

Jadzia definitely.. not so much Ezri

Worf if you want to get hammered on bloodwine! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Worf if you want to get hammered on bloodwine! :p
    Yeah Worf would be a handful on a night out.

Bouncer: Sorry mate your not getting in tonight.
    Work: *picks bouncer up by his neck* I'm on holidays, I'll do as I please!

I was never impressed with inside decor of station. Really tacky. Fashion was pure **** for all non star fleet.

Buying a ds9 novel unity that deals with life there post end of series

Though Kira had a nice outfit! If you get my drift

• Advertisement

Season 1 ep 09?? Not bloody likely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

Just finished my own run through. I'm a big proponent of "each to their own", though there's one exception - DS9. If you don't like it, you're wrong (:p). Hands down the best in the franchise. The finale is nothing short of exceptional viewing. Bloody thing gets me every time...

6782c051d9971e20fc52c977f901ed59.jpg

They made one mistake in the entire show, when Farrell left at the end of Season 6, they should have left it at that for Dax. Shoe-horning in Ezri just didn't work, and several episodes were wasted trying to character develop her; over a single season, with so much else going on, that was never going to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Just noticed Mike Ehrmantraut from Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul in a minor role in season 1!

latest?cb=20070520172136&path-prefix=de

what's weirder is that he uses the exact same drawl as in BB/BCS. No half measures, Dukat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Oh Dear. After watching TNG again I moved onto Ds9, and having just watched 0702 Shadows n Symbols, I just have to say it's pretty much stupid bullsheet.

I prefer TNG easily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Liamalone wrote: »
    Oh Dear. After watching TNG again I moved onto Ds9, and having just watched 0702 Shadows n Symbols, I just have to say it's pretty much stupid bullsheet.

I prefer TNG easily

Funny that it only took you SEVEN seasons to figure it out :D

• Advertisement

And get it wrong!!

Six seasons really:D

Liamalone wrote: »
    Six seasons really:D
    Ye should watch the rest of that last season, it's worth it

Ye should watch the rest of that last season, it's worth it

I shall stick it out to the bitter end!

If you aren't a fan by S7, you never will be. S6 is actually stronger than S7 for the most part I feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

Just finished the run-through. What a great show. The battle scene were more frequent and more impressive than I remember. There were some great characters, nuanced, sometimes you hated them, sometimes you liked them. Some quite progressive/controversial stuff too. Much bolder than VOY and even TNG.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I finished TNG and figured while I was on a roll, to jump straight into DS9. The difference is so stark it's easy to see why the initial response was a little tepid. It's chalk and cheese really, and in the small sample of the first 3/4 episodes there's so much more going on with the characters & arcs. It just feels a little better thought through & ... grown-up, for want of a better word.

Oh DS9 is definitely a lot more grown-up than TNG. In the first season alone you have one of the most heartbreaking episodes of many TV shows in Duet. If you haven't seen it yet... I won't say much, but it is amazing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh DS9 is definitely a lot more grown-up than TNG. In the first season alone you have one of the most heartbreaking episodes of many TV shows in Duet. If you haven't seen it yet... I won't say much, but it is amazing.

Nope, I only finished 'Q-Less' yesterday, which did feel like a bit desperate cry of "hey TNG fans, look, we got Q!" and tonally very off from the rest of the DS9 episodes so far.

One big thing you notice going from TNG to DS9 is how better served the characters are by the scripts - especially the female ones. Troi & Crusher couldn't buy a script that didn't lump them into some tedious & cringy romance, yet immediately Kira gets a meaty episode testing her political loyalties and terrorist past. So much better.

Also: the Quark - Odo double act. Even this early in the series it's already fantastic. Outside of the holy trinity, I'd argue it's one of the best character combinations in TV Trek...

^^ Have you not seen DS9 yet at all?? If not, you're in for a serious treat over the next few weeks...

• Advertisement

Inviere wrote: »
    ^^ Have you not seen DS9 yet at all?? If not, you're in for a serious treat over the next few weeks...

I've seen it in fits & starts, an episode here or there and mostly in the latter seasons. Certainly never saw it fully or from the start & based on these first few episodes there'll be a lot to love.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I've seen it in fits & starts, an episode here or there and mostly in the latter seasons. Certainly never saw it fully or from the start & based on these first few episodes there'll be a lot to love.

Oh there is, it's the best of the franchise for me anyway. The quality and diversity of the characters has yet to be matched in Trek.

Oh there is, it's the best of the franchise for me anyway. The quality and diversity of the characters has yet to be matched in Trek.

In fairness, I do feel like the players in the new Trek movie franchise are getting that way - they're nowhere near as diverse, but the actors & their chemistry do rival the likes of Kira & Odo, Bashir & O'Brien, others.

In fairness, I do feel like the players in the new Trek movie franchise are getting that way - they're nowhere near as diverse, but the actors & their chemistry do rival the likes of Kira & Odo, Bashir & O'Brien, others.

I will grant they've managed a great chemistry in those films, only with Kirk, Spock, and Bones though...everyone else is just good at best. The thing is though, it's a recreation of an already existing chemistry.

I dunno.. there's also Scotty and whatever that weird eyed yolk is.

I dunno.. there's also Scotty and whatever that weird eyed yolk is.

Scotty is dreadful in the new movies, and I say that as a fan of Simon Pegg. Ds9 has fantastic characters coming out of its lower pylons...Quark, Garak, O'Brien, Jadzia, Kira, Dukat, Brunt, Weyoun...I could go on

Scotty is dreadful in the new movies, and I say that as a fan of Simon Pegg. Ds9 has fantastic characters coming out of its lower pylons...Quark, Garak, O'Brien, Jadzia, Kira, Dukat, Brunt, Weyoun...I could go on

I think Pegg's take is pretty decent. Something to remember is that Scotty was a Canadian doing a Scottish person. So Pegg is an English person doing a Canadian person doing a Scottish person.

I think Pegg's take is pretty decent. Something to remember is that Scotty was a Canadian doing a Scottish person. So Pegg is an English person doing a Canadian person doing a Scottish person.

The main three nailed it, perhaps Pegg just didn't have much to go on considering Scotty wasn't a very developed or complex character. It doesn't come across in any way that I'm watching the Scotty character when I watch Pegg though...

Pegg does a descent job. There is a Star trek fan series where Scott'y's son plays-Scotty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

It was a slow burner at first. In fact a bit crap. Bad acting to. Specially the Doc Julian.

But it became excellent when they took advantage of the worm hole and the dominion came into it. Defiant still gives me hairs on the back of my neck. Way of the warrior. One of the best episodes in Star Trek ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Way of the warrior. One of the best episodes in Star Trek ever.

Today is a good day to die

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Arbie

It was a slow burner at first. In fact a bit crap. Bad acting to. Specially he Doc Julian.

But it because excellent when they took advantage of the worm hole and the dominion came into it. Defiant still gives me hairs on the back of my next. Way of the warrior. One of the best episodes in Star Trek ever.

Alexander Siddig was like a parody of an actor, made Bashir sometimes wooden, sometimes melodramatic. He has calmed down a bit now and was better in Game of Thrones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

DS9 would have been a lot different if they didn't bring in that rule that you actually have to show space battles instead of just shaking the cameras on the bridge set.

It was a slow burner at first. In fact a bit crap. Bad acting to. Specially he Doc Julian.

But it because excellent when they took advantage of the worm hole and the dominion came into it. Defiant still gives me hairs on the back of my next. Way of the warrior. One of the best episodes in Star Trek ever.

In fairness to Siddig, the material he has in those first episodes is awful. Real sleezebag stuff leering after Dax with schoolboy charisma. 'No' obviously not always meaning 'no' in some corners of the Federation. Presumably / hopefully that disappears as episodes tick onwards cos for now it's creepy stuff if I'm honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

I have just started into season 7 in my runthrough.

I have to agree with what many have said, this is probably the best Star Trek series all around. Like any of the other series there are some truly dreadful episodes scattered throughout but overall there is far more good than bad and the long multi-episode arcs really allow time to develop the characters.

Where it really shines is in the supporting cast, many of whom are far more interesting than the main characters. Sisko is ridiculously over-acted. Bashir is annoying as hell for the first few seasons and then just settles down into smarmy mode. Other than looking good, Jadzia Dax was never interesting. I was sick to death of Worf and his Klingon stuff after TNG.

Whereas some of the best stories, performances and characterisation revolved around O'Brien, Quark, Nog, Dukat and Garak.

I have to admit I have a soft spot for any episode involving the Ferengi.

I should be finished DS9 in a couple of weeks and then it is on to Enterprise.

• Advertisement

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    I should be finished DS9 in a couple of weeks and then it is on to Enterprise.

Ouch :o

Ouch :o

It's better than the option of straight into Voyager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Definitely

Edit: Particularly season 3 and 4

Really? Can't say I'd agree now...Enterprise is horrendous until the third season. Not that Voyager is much better by then, but it is :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

In the last couple of years I have gone through all of TOS, TAS, TNG, VOY and all the films. So once I finish DS9 then I have no choice but to watch Enterprise. I'm not looking forward to it but I have to finish them all.

• Advertisement

Enterprise really is such a disappointment when you consider that for the longest time it was the last of the TV franchises. Hopefully Discovery gets back to it being good.

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    I'm not looking forward to it but I have to finish them all.

It's going to be a very, very hard landing coming from the glorious heights of DS9, to the start of Enterprise...but I suspect it won't be as bad as you think it'll be. I rewatched it last year, and it was an absolute slog, couldn't wait to finish it. Even the much better Seasons 3 & 4 didn't redeem it for me (I previously was a defender of Enterprise, but it just hasn't aged well at all).

After such a strong start I figured I was due a clunker, and looks like I hit upon one that appears on many peoples' "worst of" lists, "Move Along Home". It actually felt like something from TNG Season 1/2 it was that bad.

Just looked it up. What an awful episode that was.

After such a strong start I figured I was due a clunker, and looks like I hit upon one that appears on many peoples' "worst of" lists, "Move Along Home". It actually felt like something from TNG Season 1/2 it was that bad.

Sisko singing was pretty horrific, also Bashir's screaming himself awake technique.. dire

Finished the season 2 opening 3-parter, and it felt like the first time the show started to play with broader arcs. Stakes felt more immediate and costly, allegiances forming n all that, even if the status quo was restored by the end. It is infinitely more interesting to watch the Federation butting heads with civilisations taking a dim view to its benevolent clout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I'm also running through DS9 again. I didn't like it first time round.

Have to say it is a poor show with episodes of tat, pure tat. The stories are so weak and superficial. S4 E1 next.

Just recently watched the episode where Quarks mother was caught wearing clothes and making profit - Jesus it's the worst episode of anything I've ever seen.

I'll keep going but it's odd rewatching a show you didn't like first time round, not really enjoying it second time round either, but continuing to watch it anyway out of some sense of duty to see it through !!

Prior to this I rewatched TNG and loved it as much as before, I was genuinely sad when I came to the end. It has a broader spectrum of strong characters with better stories to follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Finished the season 2 opening 3-parter, and it felt like the first time the show started to play with broader arcs. Stakes felt more immediate and costly, allegiances forming n all that, even if the status quo was restored by the end. It is infinitely more interesting to watch the Federation butting heads with civilisations taking a dim view to its benevolent clout.

In the immortal words of Bachman Turner Overdrive, "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet"... Season 2 finale onwards is really where Deep Space Nine hits the ground running and aside from a few dodgy episodes here and there Season 3-7 just completely eclipse the first 2 Seasons (even though there's some quality episodes in those early seasons).

Just my own opinion of course.

_Brian wrote: »
    I'm also running through DS9 again. I didn't like it first time round.

Have to say it is a poor show with episodes of tat, pure tat. The stories are so weak and superficial. S4 E1 next.

Just recently watched the episode where Quarks mother was caught wearing clothes and making profit - Jesus it's the worst episode of anything I've ever seen.

I'll keep going but it's odd rewatching a show you didn't like first time round, not really enjoying it second time round either, but continuing to watch it anyway out of some sense of duty to see it through !!

Prior to this I rewatched TNG and loved it as much as before, I was genuinely sad when I came to the end. It has a broader spectrum of strong characters with better stories to follow.

I agree with everything here. What nearly broke me was Singing Seb Fontaine, the holosuite character who somehow deserved to be treated as a humanoid. I persevered however.

Should've seen it coming after Sisko's initial encounter with the Prophets. They were doubting him and his intentions and this intense to and fro ensued with Sisko defending humanity, all is good. Then, the Cardassians enter into the wormhole, I anticipate some three way conflict/debate as to who is righteous but alas, no, it isn't to be.

Cut to Sisko emerging from wormhole with a latinum medal around his neck. Sigh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement