Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee bean grinder

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

What would you recommend? The gaggia classic?

Rancilio Silvia would be good starting point.
    New Gagia Classic only slightly better what you got now ( unless you could find used GC old generation ,one with solenoid valve....)
    I own Rancilio Silvia , upgraded with PID..... probably not the best machine if you Latte lover ( only single boiler) , otherwise could recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

alec76 wrote: »
    Rancilio Silvia would be good starting point.
    New Gagia Classic only slightly better what you got now ( unless you could find used GC old generation ,one with solenoid valve....)
    I own Rancilio Silvia , upgraded with PID..... probably not the best machine if you Latte lover ( only single boiler) , otherwise could recommend.

Thank you.

Just looking into the Silvia and I see it is a very popular machine. Mixed reports online, it takes about half an hour to warm up??

Once on and warmed up, can you leave it on for a few hours?

I've been looking more and more at the pavoni.. I must say I'm drawn to it. People are saying the rancilio rocky is fine with it.. Do you think it would have any resale value after 6 months or a year if I couldn't get along with it?

Would probably go for a silvia like machine if I can find one that warms up in around 10 mins

Would probably go for a silvia like machine if I can find one that warms up in around 10 mins

Why are you so care for the quick warm up ? It is hardly possible. In fact , I believe it is just wrong . I am looking for the quality shots , not the quick one.

The key for the quality shots- constant temperature and .
    pressure . Thick brass boiler needs more time to warm up ... Every parts of pipes needs to warm up and keep temperature stable ... even 3-5 degrees makes difference to coffee extraction .
    machine which warms up in 10 min will loose temperature during the shot immediately... same as cheap light aluminium frying pan , it is warms up quickly but you won’t cook any decent steak on it.
    As were suggested before you could use smart timer plugs etc... My Silvia always
    ON during the weekends ( even though it is PIDed , upgraded with scheduled ON/OF switch etc)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I recently bought a Rocket Espresso machine.
    It takes 20 minutes to get up to temperature.
    I'm fine with that.........won't be going out to buy a Smart plug either.

I must be patient or something.......:P:P

That's why the shI*e is called instant coffee. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Planet X wrote: »

Good things come to those who wait and all that

• Advertisement

Planet X wrote: »

I won't go into the details of explaining how not everyone has a lot of free time to hang around waiting for coffee machines to heat up....

Anyway, thanks for the comments, I will keep out of here from now on, people don't appreciate any questions or unhappiness about this it seems!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

My coffee machine gets turned on when I get in from work and stays on until I leave for work the following day. I'm never waiting for it to heat up. There machines are designed to be left on.

New production Rocket machines are being built with a 90 minute energy saver mode, not too annoying, but annoying enough for me to send it back to Zero One Zero after a few days of use. I didn't know what was going on.

They didn't know either until they contacted Italy and were informed.
    EU regs.

Doesn't bother me now that I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I won't go into the details of explaining how not everyone has a lot of free time to hang around waiting for coffee machines to heat up....

Anyway, thanks for the comments, I will keep out of here from now on, people don't appreciate any questions or unhappiness about this it seems!

I don't think anyone is trying to be unhelpful. But generally the temperature stability requires at the group head is achieved by having a large mass of metal that takes a bit of time to heat up. You don't have to wait that time. Certainly I'm no expert and reckon I am not the finest judge of differences in tastes of espresso, but as I understand it's really about achieving consistency and removing variables other than the particular coffee bean and grind setting. Having a stable temperature helps achieve this.
    I never really used my silvia for the first 2 years I had it and couldn't understand why I couldn't make decent espresso with it until I got the PID and suddenly I could.

As said above you can avoid the waiting. I manage to make 2 shots of espresso in the morning while kids are eating their cereal, using the smart plug (and I preweigh beans and keep them in spice jars for single dosing). At the weekend, I switch machine on with with my phone when I wake up and it stays on until I know I've had my last coffee of the day. Perk of the smart plug is that I can monitor energy usage. Used 5kWh for September.

Sorry I didn't mean to suggest anyone was unhelpful, apologies if that came across, quite grateful for the info so far.

Ordered one of the la pavonis... No doubt I won't get a decent espresso this side of Christmas, but we'll give it a go. Have spent quite a while this weekend messing around with the current set up, weighing the coffee, different grind thickness, different tamping, all with fresh 3fe beans... Getting regularly good looking espresso, tons of crema, but same as before, crema dissipates within seconds and the shot is very weak.

I have the aeropress anyway if I run out of patience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Great, let us know how you get on with the Pav. Sounds like they are a lot of fun. Hope you get some great shots from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

Just wondering where you ordered the La Pav from?

Any sign of it yet?

I bought a niche grinder last year to use with my pour over set up, the idea being that I'll get an espresso machine in the near future.

Had been mostly considering an E61 of some sort, until reading your posts about the la pav made me read into lever machines a bit more, and now I'm intrigued...

Just don't buy from CoffeeItalia.

G rock wrote: »
    Just wondering where you ordered the La Pav from?

Any sign of it yet?

I bought a niche grinder last year to use with my pour over set up, the idea being that I'll get an espresso machine in the near future.

Had been mostly considering an E61 of some sort, until reading your posts about the la pav made me read into lever machines a bit more, and now I'm intrigued...

Check out one of the La Pav pages on FB.

I had ideas of getting one as well but........they seem like very "tricky" machines.
    Some people seem to get on very well with them..........I'll just leave that there

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭perrier

alec76 wrote:
    Just don't buy from CoffeeItalia.

Why?

Yeah I've had it about ten days I guess. Got it on ebay UK, brand new. Went for the professional one. Spent a good while searching on-line beforehand and found amazon Italy (with amazon as seller) fairly well priced, would have gone with them but found it a bjt cheaper on ebay. I figure a low tech machine like this might be less likely to give problems.....

All good so far. Surprisingly, I'm getting good shots. Took maybe 5 or 6 attempts before getting the right consistency from the grinder but has been fine since.

perrier wrote: »
    Why?
    They not based in Ireland or UK and still using Irish/UK domain names ....
    Too many complaints , just google it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

with a budget of about 100-120, what electric burr grinder would you recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

with a budget of about 100-120, what electric burr grinder would you recommend

I'd suggest stretching the budget a bit further and getting the Baratza Encore. Cremashop.eu have them for 149 shipped

I'd suggest stretching the budget a bit further and getting the Baratza Encore. Cremashop.eu have them for 149 shipped

nice one, I can probablu go to that

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I see Coffee Angel saying that’s not an ideal machine for espresso. Would you agree with that or would its limitations only be obvious to a hardcore coffee buff?

Used one before.....they're stepped adjustments like Rancilio Rocky, still......a bomb proof grinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

flogen wrote: »
    I see Coffee Angel saying that’s not an ideal machine for espresso. Would you agree with that or would its limitations only be obvious to a hardcore coffee buff?

It's more suited to french press/pour over/filter than espresso, I believe you can grind fine enough with shims to get in the espresso range but it won't really be consistent and could clump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

My friend has one modded with shims and it grinds quite passable espresso. It's not going to give you high-end performance but that's probably the cheapest way of getting decent espresso range if you are feeling ambitious.

please explain "shims" thanks

I got the Baratza Encore anyway, so thanks for the recommend i won't physically have it for another week or so

it is a tiny washer added under grinder burrs to alter the grind range.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

It's more suited to french press/pour over/filter than espresso, I believe you can grind fine enough with shims to get in the espresso range but it won't really be consistent and could clump.
    J_E wrote: »
    My friend has one modded with shims and it grinds quite passable espresso. It's not going to give you high-end performance but that's probably the cheapest way of getting decent espresso range if you are feeling ambitious.

Thanks.

Are you paying a lot more for a grinder that’s more espresso-capable out of the box?

Thanks.

Are you paying a lot more for a grinder that’s more espresso-capable out of the box?

Cheapest ,entry level grinder for espresso
    https://www.happydonkey.co.uk/hd0866-iberital-mc2-auto.html
    You might need to do some burrs recalibration before it gets you to good results...plenty guides online...
    Otherwise, if you need real “out of the box” espresso grinder , you are paying €250 and up to infinity....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

Hi, I bought a bag of coffee from some Galway roasters, lovely, except I didn’t realise I was buying beans and I haven’t got a burr grinder.
    I’m not a regular enough coffee drinker to warrant paying €40 for the delonghi grinder linked here, so does anyone know of any coffee place in Dublin which might grind this one bag of coffee beans for me, say if I gave them €5 or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,426 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Amazon selling the Sage BCG820BSSUK Pro Coffee Grinder for £139.

Link

Also in Curries for €169.95.

Surely these are both great offers?

Do people here like that grinder?

Advertisement