Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home Hub

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭micks_address

Any chance of a side by side picture?
    I can't believe how quick it arrived. I got a message this evening that it was in my local parcel motel. It's sitting here now on the sideboard looking comically large. The home hub was a perfect size for the little sideboard by our sofa. The Max dominates it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I can't believe how quick it arrived. I got a message this evening that it was in my local parcel motel. It's sitting here now on the sideboard looking comically large. The home hub was a perfect size for the little sideboard by our sofa. The Max dominates it.
    Great service there, and good news that it shipped to PM without issues. Probably be Tuesday before I get mine via Address Pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,966 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

491860.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭micks_address

Wow clearly size does matter :)

I may get the max for Xmas..move the hub to the bedroom

491860.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Hi I have the original home hub one, two issues.

At night it dims so much that without my glasses I cannot make out the clock and would prefer the clock font in red.

Is there any way to have the ambient EQ adjust to give a brighter night time and adjust the font/colour?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Wow clearly size does matter :)

I may get the max for Xmas..move the hub to the bedroom

Mmmm, have 2 hubs, don't really need another but Black Friday....

jogdish wrote: »
    Hi I have the original home hub one, two issues.

At night it dims so much that without my glasses I cannot make out the clock and would prefer the clock font in red.

Is there any way to have the ambient EQ adjust to give a brighter night time and adjust the font/colour?

You can. If you go into the Home app, click the hub and go into its settings- you can increase the brightness. I don't believe you can change the font colour.

Mmmm, have 2 hubs, don't really need another but Black Friday....

Do it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

491860.jpg

I already have the hub and didn't think I needed this until I saw your pic

So having it a while now and I really like it. It's much the same as the Hub but the larger screen really makes your images come alive more. I use it mainly to keep an eye on my toddler at night so with the bigger screen it's easier to see her in the cot. Sound is obviously much improved and seems fuller.

Other than that I haven't really checked out other features but on the screen size alone it's been worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭RunDMC

The audio quality is way better that the original Hub, not quite as good as the Google Home, but not far off. Google Duo calls work well, but we don't use it that often. My only grip is that the fixed camera angle means that you have to be careful where you put it to get the best picture.
    It also seems to hear better than the original Hub, but again not quite as well as the original Home.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 1 m0frazer

Does the Google nest home hub work in ROI? Bought one in UK but wont link up... Authentication failure?

Works perfectly, must be something else wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Not sure when this feature was added but you can now say "hey Google...shuffle my playlist 'playlist name'"

You used to have to play and then do a second command to shuffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

BailMeOut wrote: »
    Not sure when this feature was added but you can now say "hey Google...shuffle my playlist 'playlist name'"

You used to have to play and then do a second command to shuffle.

I've always said "Okay Google, play my thumbs up playlist on shuffle" and it's always worked perfectly.

In other words, we can't sell this to you but can't remove it from our site so we just whacked up the price.

JDxtra wrote: »
    In other words, we can't sell this to you but can't remove it from our site so we just whacked up the price.

It's strange that months after the hub was released (a year ago in the UK?) no bricks and mortar store in ireland sells it apart from Dixons at the airport I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭fman

If you look at the Google store availability and even the recent Google launch event, they have a weird pattern of releasing devices in limited countries.
    For an example, Google WiFi is available in Ireland but not the new version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Wonder is there any chance of a max hub deal on black Friday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭JoeCat

So i Ireland is not possible to buy google max hub or Google laptops?

JoeCat wrote: »
    So i Ireland is not possible to buy google max hub or Google laptops?

No apart from Dublin airport or Northern Ireland (Argos etc) you are looking at buying elsewhere (UK and getting shipped here).

They're already reduced in the UK Google store, John Lewis and Argos UK website.

Wonder is there any chance of a max hub deal on black Friday?

Reduced on UK websites already.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭EletricMan

Anyone know if it is possible to check price of Google home hub for sale in Dublin airport. Flying next Saturday so dunno if I shoy buy in the airport or on google UK store.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

EletricMan wrote: »
    Anyone know if it is possible to check price of Google home hub for sale in Dublin airport. Flying next Saturday so dunno if I shoy buy in the airport or on google UK store.

The new bigger one? It’s €199. Saw it yesterday

OU812 wrote: »
    The new bigger one? It’s €199. Saw it yesterday

Yeah and with a camera, was that at Dublin airport?

If so good deal as UK sites quoting £189....am passing through on Wednesday as it happens.

You can check here (in the UK you can reserve stock too).

https://www.dixonstravel.com/stores/dublin/terminal-1/

Dixons at T2 is still closed for refurbishment I think so youd'd need to walk to T1 to buy, it's less than a 10 min walk each way.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭arrowman

I have some Sonoff smart plugs and a wireless speaker in the house and am going to be adding a few more smart home devices.
    So I am thinking of getting one of these Google Hubs (or maybe the Lonovo one is better??)

One thing that I could use it for straight away is I have an electric gate that has a GSM controller that the family can ring to open the gate. I don't have a key pad at the gate so its either ring the gate or use one of the fobs.

Could the hub be used to open the gate from the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I have 8 google homes/mini's in my house 3 of which I brought back from USA a few years ago with the other 5 I bought locally. In the last week or so the three USA devices keep disconnecting from Wifi and you need to run through the setup again at least once a day. I tried factory resetting and issue still persists and notice that during the setup I get warning that the USA device may not be compatible with local wifi.

Anyone else with a USA purchased homes having issues in Ireland.

BailMeOut wrote: »
    I have 8 google homes/mini's in my house 3 of which I brought back from USA a few years ago with the other 5 I bought locally. In the last week or so the three USA devices keep disconnecting from Wifi and you need to run through the setup again at least once a day. I tried factory resetting and issue still persists and notice that during the setup I get warning that the USA device may not be compatible with local wifi.

Anyone else with a USA purchased homes having issues in Ireland.

I have one Nest Mini from the USA, and it did complain during setup also - but seems to work just fine. Certainly don't need to reset it or run through setup again.

• Advertisement

arrowman wrote: »
    I have some Sonoff smart plugs and a wireless speaker in the house and am going to be adding a few more smart home devices.
    So I am thinking of getting one of these Google Hubs (or maybe the Lonovo one is better??)

One thing that I could use it for straight away is I have an electric gate that has a GSM controller that the family can ring to open the gate. I don't have a key pad at the gate so its either ring the gate or use one of the fobs.

Could the hub be used to open the gate from the house?

I could be wrong but I don't believe so as what you can do with it is quite regulated. It's really designed for more mainstream things.

Advertisement